[REMOVE ADS]

'Every Day Is A New Day' - Diana's Best Album?

This superb lp has 'bubbled up' on my replay list lately. The songs, the arrangements, and ... the singing!!! As I listen I think to myself, could this be considered Diana's best album? The production is excellent, the songs great, the background vocals intricate and involving, and Diana's singing totally on point. This, in addition to the cohesiveness of the material, make me think it could be considered Diana's career best. What do we think? Not 'favorite', mind you, but qualitatively the best.

I'm not that familiar with the album myself PNH, but I remember thinking it was rather nice all the way through. Quite R&B-ish. Perhaps not her best but definitely consistent and cohesive! I shall revisit.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-31-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I'm not that familiar with the album myself PNH, but I remember thinking it was rather nice all the way through. Quite R&B-ish. Perhaps not her best but definitely consistent and cohesive! I shall revisit.
    Hi Tom! Awfully late [[or early) isn't it?

It's one of my top favourite Diana albums! There were some tracks that I didn't love as much during its initial release, but they grew on me and became my top favourites from this album. Less obvious tracks like "Sugar Free", "Every Day Is A New Day" and "Got To Be Free". Just love them all. I go back to this album every few months and never get tired of it. Great mix of upbeat tracks and ballads. She had a great thing going with this album, it's too bad that it fell under the radar for the most part. The Japan-only bonus tracks are pretty ok too. Let's not forget the Metro Remix of Not Over You Yet. That should have been on the North American release as a bonus track. "I need a little more bass..." Love it !

I had the album on repeat throughout 1999 so that may be your answer lol

I didn't have Take Me Higher or Diana or The Boss or Surrender or the 1970 DR debut on repeat as much as I did this album.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    This superb lp has 'bubbled up' on my replay list lately. The songs, the arrangements, and ... the singing!!! As I listen I think to myself, could this be considered Diana's best album? The production is excellent, the songs great, the background vocals intricate and involving, and Diana's singing totally on point. This, in addition to the cohesiveness of the material, make me think it could be considered Diana's career best. What do we think? Not 'favorite', mind you, but qualitatively the best.
    It is a very consistent album for sure with no actual low points, but i don't think it is quite as strong as some of her iconic albums. It could have been more successful had Motown and Diana herself had more faith in the album, but no way would i class it as her best. Having said that i think it has aged very well, and i enjoy listening to it more now than i did at the time.

Definitely one of her best albums for me.

It should have been pushed harder in the UK after the massive success of NOYY. Carry On should have been the follow up single to cement the public's awareness of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post

It should have been pushed harder in the UK after the massive success of NOYY. Carry On should have been the follow up single to cement the public's awareness of the album.
    Didn't the airport incident happen around this time? I'm sure it distracted her from promoting it further. I kept imagining some sleek video to Got to Be Free that sadly never came.

That song was one of her smoothest! And a little dark but it was the late 90s!

PeaceNHarmony, I was just thinking the same thing about this album and how much I enjoy it. I must admit, I was thrown off from really accepting it as I should based on such a frivolous observance when I first purchased the cd: the cover which I did not like at all...too photoshopped. The album itself took me a while to appreciate; however, over the years it ranks right up there with "Baby It's Me" and "Take Me Higher" as my favorites of Diana's output. There's a particular sadness in many of the songs. Wasn't she going through her breakup with Arne Naess at this time? "Sugarfree" is possibly my favorite and the most catchy of the tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is a very consistent album for sure with no actual low points, but i don't think it is quite as strong as some of her iconic albums. It could have been more successful had Motown and Diana herself had more faith in the album, but no way would i class it as her best. Having said that i think it has aged very well, and i enjoy listening to it more now than i did at the time.
    Understood, yet I think the listen-ability lo these 20 years later is one of the points that for me could, with sufficient philosophical argument, cause it to be rated as 'best'! I'm sure glad we have the album - it's a beauty all around.

there was a fun post on FB with Ian listing out his picks for DR Top 10 lps. I added mine in the comments and EDIAND is among them. But only recently. to be honest, i've not paid much attention to her 90s material and recently rediscovered it. it is a very solid and consistent album and i personally just like the production and sound better than the earlier 90s albums. Just personal taste - do you jazz vs swing, hip hop vs disco, etc.

Of course it was #10 in rank order on my list and classics like Boss, diana 80, DR 70, Touch me, all ranked higher

Hi Tom! Awfully late [[or early) isn't it?
    EXCUSE ME PNH, CONCENTRATE ON THE MUSIC PLEASE, NOT WHETHER IT'S MY BEDTIME YET. HONESTLY

I listened to the album last night [[OK, fine, this morning) and thought it was pretty decent. Not my favourite Diana album though. Not her best singing nor the best production in my opinion. A lil too processed here and there. My faves were "Sugarfree", "Not Over You Yet" and "Love Is All That Matters"

Didn't like it, or hate it during its initial released. It took me two years, than, I don't remember how, I started listening this again.
    Slowly, when I started understood all the lyrics, it became my absolute favorite. It's like she is talking directly to the guts, the soul, the mind.
    I purchased le Japanese issue with two outstanding exclusive tracks. My all time favorite "free, i'm gone".
    My only concern is that we have two distinct albums in one. One is the classic Diana, with ballads, uptempo, and the other is the divorce album. An endless lamento that I favor above all.

I sometimes wish she HAD just made an all divorce album. I feel like she was working on two entirely different albums at the time.

I love this album. I prefer a more r&b/soulful Diana. My favorites were “everyday is a new day”, “so they say”, “sugar free”, and “carry on”.

I love this album. One of my favorites. I played this album over and over. Everyone I played it for also really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post

Diana was sick around this time and was unable/unwilling to travel to promote the proposed follow up "until we meet again". That is why the album was kind of abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Didn't the airport incident happen around this time? I'm sure it distracted her from promoting it further. I kept imagining some sleek video to Got to Be Free that sadly never came.

That song was one of her smoothest! And a little dark but it was the late 90s!
    Yes the Airport incident did occur around this time. Diana had just finishing filming the video for "not over you yet" the same day. She did return to the UK several times over the next couple of months for TV appearances including An audience with Diana Ross, Top of the Pops, The Chris Evans show and The Lottery Show, so the airport incident did not prevent her from returning to the UK.

Diana was sick around this time and was unable/unwilling to travel to promote the proposed follow up "until we meet again". That is why the album was kind of abandoned.
    That makes more sense. It's so beautifully performed, and Diana's vocals melded with the gospel-ish backgrounds so perfectly, it's difficult to see the lp not having at least a bit more success. Of course Diana was 55 at the time and radio is not kind to 55 year olds.

I often read, fans find the album to sad ��

good album,i would have mixed the album.love the remix of Not Over You Yet.would have done a few more remixs.but overall good.in my top ten

Yes the Airport incident did occur around this time. Diana had just finishing filming the video for "not over you yet" the same day. She did return to the UK several times over the next couple of months for TV appearances including An audience with Diana Ross, Top of the Pops, The Chris Evans show and The Lottery Show, so the airport incident did not prevent her from returning to the UK.
    Was the album just released in the UK when it occurred? I'm guessing the "reunion" was why the album didn't get promoted as it should?

EDIT: I didn't know she was that sick!

I absolutely agree that EDIAND is qualitatively one of her best albums. For me, it is her most soulful album because it's the most personal one.
    She lived and was still living these songs and lyrics.
    Knowing now of what she was going through emotionally at the time, I've never felt personally closer to her than by listening to this album and the way she sings to us from her heart and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Was the album just released in the UK when it occurred? I'm guessing the "reunion" was why the album didn't get promoted as it should?

EDIT: I didn't know she was that sick!
    The UK release was delayed whilst she honoured commitments in the States.The idea was to pretty much clear her diary so that she could promote the album in the way that she did with Force Behind The Power. Sadly that did not become possible due to her personal circumstances.

The UK release was delayed whilst she honoured commitments in the States.The idea was to pretty much clear her diary so that she could promote the album in the way that she did with Force Behind The Power. Sadly that did not become possible due to her personal circumstances.
    Ah I see. Sad. That album had potential to break through at least in the urban adult contemporary market and the dance mixes had potential to be #1 on the dance charts at least.

I'm surprised at how positive most of you are to this album.

Maybe I was getting old too, but I just didn't feel the spark was there. I thought it was one of her weakest albums although Love Is All That Matters, Until We Meet Again, Carry On, Not Over You Yet were sparks.

I remember thinking the current sound had changed and I hadn't changed with it. I rarely play this CD whereas I would still play More Hits by the Supremes, lol. And Take Me Higher. And Lady. And Force.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'm surprised at how positive most of you are to this album.

Maybe I was getting old too, but I just didn't feel the spark was there. I thought it was one of her weakest albums although Love Is All That Matters, Until We Meet Again, Carry On, Not Over You Yet were sparks.

I remember thinking the current sound had changed and I hadn't changed with it. I rarely play this CD whereas I would still play More Hits by the Supremes, lol. And Take Me Higher. And Lady. And Force.
    Understandable from a 'to each their own' perspective. But from a critical perspective I still think the album's cohesiveness and quality of performance is just superb.

Understandable from a 'to each their own' perspective. But from a critical perspective I still think the album's cohesiveness and quality of performance is just superb.
    And you are more than entitled to your opinion my friend. I have just been listening to it again, and whilst it still fails to inspire me i can understand why you rate it so highly. It is a tight and cohesive album. It just falls slightly short of being a really good album. Vocally Diana is really on point, yet she never really believed in the album the way she did Force and Take me Higher.

I wonder why Motown didn't release the promo version of EDIAND as a single. For me it works well in edited form and shows Diana in a different musical direction to great effect.

Sometimes being "brave" with a single release really works, just look at Doobedood'ndoo's success in the UK

IMO this album was to R&B for some people. Personally I loved it . I agree that it’s one of her best.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    IMO this album was to R&B for some people. Personally I loved it . I agree that it’s one of her best.
    That might be true. I love the opening and closing songs, but with the exception of SUGARFREE, I'm not too fond of the R&B songs in between.

I find it a difficult album to listen to. It sounds/feels depressing to me. If this was around the time of her divorce her sadness permeates the album.

Diana was at the start of the low point of her life with this album. When the breakup actually happened, she cancelled the rest of her year and did no dates at all. The planned Brandy duet was cancelled by her mother and planned follow up based on feedback=back from the released album couldn’t happen. This infuriated Motown who pulled all support for the album and released no singles except a minor release of Sugarfree to limited radio markets. Seriously, I’m amazed she went to the U.K. to shoot and promote not over you yet - a great video. Someone said she just couldn’t sing those songs.

I think thevradio edit if the title title song might have hit here. The album is not a fave of mine.

Interesting how Diana thrived and Brandy fizzled? She did fizzle didn't she? I never really heard much further about her except for an accident she had.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I love R&B and that’s why I love this album. I wish Diana would have put out an album like this during her RCA years. I believe it would have been a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I love R&B and that’s why I love this album. I wish Diana would have put out an album like this during her RCA years. I believe it would have been a big hit.
    I fully agree. The only problem with 'Every ...' is that it was recorded by a 55 year old woman.

Interesting how Diana thrived and Brandy fizzled? She did fizzle didn't she? I never really heard much further about her except for an accident she had.
    As far as I know, yes. Brandy was certainly not untalented but seemed to me rather ... anodyne.

I fully agree. The only problem with 'Every ...' is that it was recorded by a 55 year old woman.
    So true! That’s why a full R&B album would have been perfect in the 80s. That’s what a lot of the young record buyers were buying.

Brandy's had a semi-successful acting career and still records, but she has never been able to recapture the level of prominence she enjoyed during the late 90s.

EDIAND is a great album. My least favorite Ross album of the 90s is Force Behind the Power, though I do like a couple of songs and the album features strong vocals.

I actually feel her 1990s output, even the songs on compilations, was very strong. It is truly a shame Motown and radio did not give her any support when they had so many opportunities.

i agree with the above statement, if she had recorded these latter album, the Force,Higher, EDIAND in the 80s. wow....she would have rocked the 80s/all great albums

As a side note, my partner just discovered that EDIAND is no longer available on iTunes. Could this be a sign that Universal is preparing those long-awaited return-to-Motown expanded editions or nah?

I would say Diana’s best album might be Blue or Lady Sings the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    As a side note, my partner just discovered that EDIAND is no longer available on iTunes. Could this be a sign that Universal is preparing those long-awaited return-to-Motown expanded editions or nah?
    If my memory serves me correctly it was not Universal who were planning to release the return to Motown expanded editions. It was another label. I am not sure if those plans were abandoned or if Universal have taken over the reigns. Hopefully they will eventually see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I have no idea sans, but it’s probably just iTunes being dumb again.