[REMOVE ADS]

Jennifer hudson practicing "ain't no way"

And Marlon Wayans who plays Ted White always in comedy mode

JHud is a talented lady but her torture-every-single-note-and-word-to-death is very dissimilar to Aretha's method. [[Somewhat unrelated, does anyone else find the 'phone thing' ... strange? Wouldn't one person recording the session be sufficient? It always seems predatory to me to see grinning 'documentarians' looking as if they're accomplishing something by capturing their 'own' recording. And do we really need phone footage of others recording ... phone footage?)

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    And Marlon Wayans who plays Ted White always in comedy mode
    Shouting does not do it for me. I’ll pass.

I thought Aretha made a personal request for Hudson to play her. I really don't think you would find an actress to be able to sing remotely similar to the Queen of Soul. Jennifer is a good choice and comes close. Her acting skills are what worries me.

Cissy Houston originally did the high parts on the recording.

She is trying, but this just makes me miss and appreciate Aretha that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    I thought Aretha made a personal request for Hudson to play her. I really don't think you would find an actress to be able to sing remotely similar to the Queen of Soul. Jennifer is a good choice and comes close. Her acting skills are what worries me.
    From what I understand, Aretha did want Jennifer to play her. Jennifer has since mentioned conversations where Aretha actually said "You're going to win an Oscar for playing me, right?"

But yeah, it is totally unrealistic to think she can emulate Aretha's singing style and I wouldn't want her to. I actually think Jennifer can sing but I find her style somewhat shrill and sometimes grating and I've felt that as far back as her AMERICAN IDOL days.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    From what I understand, Aretha did want Jennifer to play her. Jennifer has since mentioned conversations where Aretha actually said "You're going to win an Oscar for playing me, right?"

But yeah, it is totally unrealistic to think she can emulate Aretha's singing style and I wouldn't want her to. I actually think Jennifer can sing but I find her style somewhat shrill and sometimes grating and I've felt that as far back as her AMERICAN IDOL days.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. She has a great instrument, but, IMHO, a dearth of sincerity and dynamism in her delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. She has a great instrument, but, IMHO, a dearth of sincerity and dynamism in her delivery.
    It sounds too calculated and planned, whereas Aretha would just tilt her head back and let it rip from her soul!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It sounds too calculated and planned, whereas Aretha would just tilt her head back and let it rip from her soul!
    That's virtually gone from the current Soul/R&B crop...I'm just glad I got to grow up with it
    in abundance. I don't expect Jen to bring me Aretha back but I still would like to see the
    flick though we've kind of had like array of badly done films over the last decade...Not
    crazy about the casting of Marlon Wayans either...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    That's virtually gone from the current Soul/R&B crop...I'm just glad I got to grow up with it
    in abundance. I don't expect Jen to bring me Aretha back but I still would like to see the
    flick though we've kind of had like array of badly done films over the last decade...Not
    I'm a JHUD fan since IDOL, but I sure hope Aretha's biopic exes would settle for lip-syncing throughout the movie, and at the end let JHUD do her thing! On another note, I believe Marlon Wayans will surprise us, much in the way that Jamie Foxx did.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She is trying, but this just makes me miss and appreciate Aretha that much more.
    I totally agree.

Marlon Wayan's ... I don't think so. The difference is that he's been in a few movies already. There won't be any surprises. He's not funny nor can he act.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I agree Splanky. We had the BEST! Growing up during the time of Aretha and so many other great, legitimate artists is something I would not trade for anything. The music of the 60s,70s, 80s cannot be compared to what is being produced today.

I also agree that Marlon Wayans was miscast as Ted White. I was around even though I was a kid when Ted White was in Detroit and married to Aretha. He was, uh....intense to put it politely. Based on outward appearances only, I would have leaned toward someone like Ice Cube for the Ted White part.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeNuYorker View Post
    Marlon Wayan's ... I don't think so. The difference is that he's been in a few movies already. There won't be any surprises. He's not funny nor can he act.
    It is about as bad as when they cast Mike Epps in the role of "Satin" in the remake of "Sparkle". The character originally played by Tony King in the 1976 film was a demon! Mike could not come close to pulling that off.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That's exactly how I feel. She has this big voice but it has never quite hit the spot for me

Kinda reminds one of the controversy with her singing "I'm Not Going" in Dreamgirls, her Oscar-winning role. Jennifer Holiday tore her to shreds on her cover! JenHol had her claws bared something fierce! Don't remember JHud's response.