[REMOVE ADS]

The Chairmen Of The Board "Gold" budget 3CD compilation [[Crimson UK) 8/30/2019

Chairmen of the Board were one of the most popular soul acts to emerge from Detroit in the early Seventies, achieving success with soul classics such as 'Give Me Just A Little More Time' [[US #3) which sold over a million copies. The group were the flagship act on the Invictus label, founded by legendary song writing and production team Holland-Dozier-Holland [[the trio behind 10 US #1 singles for the Supremes). Known for the distinctive vocals of frontman, General Johnson, Chairmen of the Board put themselves on the R&B map with top ten hits including 'Chairman of the Board' and 'Finder's Keepers'. The group also recorded the original version of 'Patches' [[co-written by Johnson) which would become a hit for Clarence Carter and go on to win a Grammy award in 1971. 62 tracks are featured across 3 CDs.

Tracklist to be announced.

Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W92H668/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W92H668/?tag=imwan-21

I suppose there's a slim-to-none chance that they'll use single mixes... There really should be at least one Hot Wax/Invictus CD that includes hit mixes only.

I probably have all the tracks this one will feature in one collection or another, but will likely still buy this if it is in the same price range as the recent Shalamar collection.

And by all means, keep these releases coming!!!

They were such a great group. Always enthusiastic in their performances.

Yes, the latest in the Crimson/Demon label releases featuring 3CD sets for around £5.

Disc: 1
    1. You Got Me Dangling On A String
    2. Give Me Just A Little More Time
    3. Everything's Tuesday
    4. Working On A Building Of Love
    5. Pay To The Piper
    6. Elmo James
    7. I'm On My Way To A Better Place
    8. Hanging On To A Memory
    9. Finder's Keepers
    10. Patches
    11. Men Are Getting Scarce
    12. Everybody's Got A Song To Sing
    13. Chairman Of The Board
    14. Everybody Party All Night
    15. Skin I'm In
    16. You've Got Extra Added Power In Your Love feat. Prince Harold
    17. Let's Have Some Fun
    18. So Glad You're Mine
    19. Since The Days Of Pigtails & Fairytales
    20. Tricked & Trapped [[By A Tricky Trapper)

Disc: 2
    1. Feeling Alright
    2. Let Me Down Easy
    3. Bittersweet
    4. All We Need Is Understanding
    5. Love At First Sight
    6. Someone Just Like You feat. Prince Harold
    7. Come Together
    8. Hypnotic Music [[Harrison Kennedy)
    9. Morning Glory
    10. Life & Death Pt. I
    11. White Rose [[Freedom Flower)
    12. Life & Death Pt. II
    13. Sunday Morning People [[Harrison Kennedy)
    14. I'm A Sign Of Changing Times
    15. Roller Coaster [[Danny Woods)
    16. Only Love Can Break A Heart
    17. Saginaw County Line
    18. Weary Traveller
    19. Bridge Over Troubled Water
    20. Live With Me, Love With Me "

Disc: 3
    1. I Can't Find Myself
    2. Bless You
    3. Everybody's Tipppin' [[Danny Woods)
    4. Bravo, Hooray
    5. Come On In And Dance feat. Prince Harold
    6. What's The Use
    7. Only Time Will Tell [[General Johnson)
    8. It Was Almost Something
    9. Every Couple's Not A Pair [[General Johnson)
    10. I'll Come Crawling
    11. Twelfth Of Never
    12. I'm In Love Darling [[General Johnson)
    13. Try On My Love For Size
    14. Children Of Today
    15. Where There Is Faith, There Is Hope
    16. Let Me Ride [[Danny Woods)
    17. When Will She Tell Me She Needs Me
    18. Up The Organisation [[Harrison Kennedy)
    19. Didn't We
    20. My Way

Are any of these appearing on CD for the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Chairmen of the Board were one of the most popular soul acts to emerge from Detroit in the early Seventies, achieving success with soul classics such as 'Give Me Just A Little More Time' [[US #3) which sold over a million copies. The group were the flagship act on the Invictus label, founded by legendary song writing and production team Holland-Dozier-Holland [[the trio behind 10 US #1 singles for the Supremes). Known for the distinctive vocals of frontman, General Johnson, Chairmen of the Board put themselves on the R&B map with top ten hits including 'Chairman of the Board' and 'Finder's Keepers'. The group also recorded the original version of 'Patches' [[co-written by Johnson) which would become a hit for Clarence Carter and go on to win a Grammy award in 1971. 62 tracks are featured across 3 CDs.

Tracklist to be announced.

Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W92H668/?tag=imwan-20

Amazon UK
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W92H668/?tag=imwan-21
    These budget releases keep coming thick and fast. I think i already have most if not all of these tunes, but i shall support this release and look forward to more of them in the future.

All have appeared on CD at some time in the past - the HDH catalogue has been worked pretty extensively over the years, especially by the UK Castle label.

The majority of the tracks on this Gold collection were on the Castle/Sanctuary 2002 'Finder's Keepers 3CD Anthology apart from:

CD2 track 19 - on the 'In Session' album

CD3 track 5 - on the 'Bonus 1973-2014' CD The Complete Invictus Studio Recordings: 1969-1978
    track 6 - on the 'Bonus 1973-2014' CD The Complete Invictus Studio Recordings: 1969-1978
    track 11 - 'In Session' album
    track 15 - on the 'Bonus 1973-2014' CD The Complete Invictus Studio Recordings: 1969-1978
    track 18 - Harrison Kennedy's 'Hypnotic Music' album and The Complete Studio Recordings 69-78
    tracks 19/20 - 'Give Me Just A Little More Time' album

[[the 'bonus' tracks could well have turned up on other albums as extra tracks too, but hopefully the above is a useful guide.)

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    All have appeared on CD at some time in the past - the HDH catalogue has been worked pretty extensively over the years, especially by the UK Castle label.

The majority of the tracks on this Gold collection were on the Castle/Sanctuary 2002 'Finder's Keepers 3CD Anthology apart from:

CD3 track 5 - on the 'Bonus 1973-2014' CD The Complete Invictus Studio Recordings: 1969-1978
    track 6 - on the 'Bonus 1973-2014' CD The Complete Invictus Studio Recordings: 1969-1978
    track 15 - on the 'Bonus 1973-2014' CD The Complete Invictus Studio Recordings: 1969-1978
    track 18 - Harrison Kennedy's 'Hypnotic Music' album and The Complete Studio Recordings 69-78

[[the 'bonus' tracks could well have turned up on other albums as extra tracks too, but hopefully the above is a useful guide.)
    Yes it is. Thank you very much for your valued input.

I saw Chairmen of the Board once. The lead singer [[General Johnson?) stripped down to his underwear and was prancing all over the stage. I think I saw them at Olympia Stadium in Detroit which doubled as a hockey rink for the Red Wings in those days, as I recall.

Maybe Marv remembers? Am I right about Olympia? It was on Grand River, just outside the downtown area I think.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post

Shame they've not included Loverboy

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Shame they've not included Loverboy
    Indeed. I have only just noticed that myself. That is a pity.

£5.99 plus free mp3 version - not bad at all. That Gold series has some interesting releases.