[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes rare and unreleased songs [[1960-67) and where to find them

Here's the first part of an album discography completed with rare tracks an details on versions [[alternate voice takes, mixes...) and were to find them. Also completed with unreleased tracks or versions that are circulating among fans.

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/DiscoLP-Supremes-1.htm

Wow! This is incredibly helpful. Bookmarked! Thank you.

Nice work Laurent!

Great work Laurent! I would add that "On A Clear Day" does have Supremes vocals, but no lead. Also "Tumbling Tumbleweeds", "You Need Me", "Tears In Vain" and "Sunset" have unreleased versions from 1963 that have yet to come out.

Well done Laurent! A lot of work must have gone into this. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Great work Laurent! I would add that "On A Clear Day" does have Supremes vocals, but no lead. Also "Tumbling Tumbleweeds", "You Need Me", "Tears In Vain" and "Sunset" have unreleased versions from 1963 that have yet to come out.
    Many thanks for your input. I suppose those versions from "Sing C,W & P" are from acetates [[?). Do you have by any chance references of acetates or versions that I could include on the site ? [[or any information regarding theses songs, like a special mix with a different instrument, a different vocal take etc.)

"On A Clear Day" is already listed. I included it as a possible song of "From Broadway to Hollywood". I know it's not easy to find a song as they are not listed alpabetically but I rather have them ordered by project [[and chronologically when possible) even if the inclusion of some songs in particular album/projects can sometimes be questionned.

I wonder if there's a list of unreleased Live recordings aside from those listed?

There is another Coke ad based on When The Lovelight Starts... on the following CD:

Top 40 Radio's Swingin' Soft Drink Spots of the 60s, Volume One

Breakable Records 1974

This is a two-CD set. The first disc covers the years 1933-1963, while the second disc covers the year 1964. The mono version here is the one I remember hearing on AM radio back in the day. Diana's spoken passage [["Ooh, these bubbles tickle; can I have another glass of Coke, please, and a little more ice...") has a smoother delivery and better enunciation than the versions released by Motown.

I would love to hear the stereo version of this on a rare/unreleased Motown CD in the future; I assume one exists, as the other ad [[based on Baby Love) I heard regularly in 1965 was the one that begins with the announcer saying "Let's get it now, with the groovy Supremes") and it is in stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Many thanks for your input. I suppose those versions from "Sing C,W & P" are from acetates [[?). Do you have by any chance references of acetates or versions that I could include on the site ? [[or any information regarding theses songs, like a special mix with a different instrument, a different vocal take etc.)

"On A Clear Day" is already listed. I included it as a possible song of "From Broadway to Hollywood". I know it's not easy to find a song as they are not listed alpabetically but I rather have them ordered by project [[and chronologically when possible) even if the inclusion of some songs in particular album/projects can sometimes be questionned.
    My apologies Laurent. I saw that you had "On A Clear Day" in your notes but I didn't realize that you noted there's no lead.

The information regarding the CWP tracks is from George Solomon in a recent [[within the last few months I think) thread. He said that the songs I mentioned all have earlier versions from 1963 which have not been released yet. He wasn't sure about "Baby Doll".

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    My apologies Laurent. I saw that you had "On A Clear Day" in your notes but I didn't realize that you noted there's no lead.

The information regarding the CWP tracks is from George Solomon in a recent [[within the last few months I think) thread. He said that the songs I mentioned all have earlier versions from 1963 which have not been released yet. He wasn't sure about "Baby Doll".
    Nothing to be apologized for. The fact the the songs are not listed alphabetically but rather by albums and/or chronologycally doesn't make the searh of a specific song easy. But I rather have them presented that way.

Thanks to your elements about the CWP tracks I found the other thread and I'll include these information soon.

Thanks Thanks Thanks
    Much appreciated and true dedication.
    I always thought "Let Me Go The Right Way" had Barbara Martin on it. Is this wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thanks Thanks Thanks
    Much appreciated and true dedication.
    I always thought "Let Me Go The Right Way" had Barbara Martin on it. Is this wrong ?
    The last single Barbara cut with the group was "Your Heart Belongs to Me" and it appears this was the last session for her. I'm unaware of any studio recordings Barbara did in 1962. The next time the group recorded in January 1962 was "Play A Sad Song", which of course is just the famous trio. I seem to recall Mary writing that Barbara was a Supreme well into the Spring of 1962 because she continued to perform live, but it looks like that didn't translate to recording, unless you count the songs the girls recorded backing vocals for various Detroit labels moonlighting during this period. Some of those tunes sound like Barbara is in the mix. "Right Way" wasn't recorded until the end of August 1962. Barbara was long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    There is another Coke ad based on When The Lovelight Starts... on the following CD:

Top 40 Radio's Swingin' Soft Drink Spots of the 60s, Volume One

Breakable Records 1974

This is a two-CD set. The first disc covers the years 1933-1963, while the second disc covers the year 1964. The mono version here is the one I remember hearing on AM radio back in the day. Diana's spoken passage [["Ooh, these bubbles tickle; can I have another glass of Coke, please, and a little more ice...") has a smoother delivery and better enunciation than the versions released by Motown.

I would love to hear the stereo version of this on a rare/unreleased Motown CD in the future; I assume one exists, as the other ad [[based on Baby Love) I heard regularly in 1965 was the one that begins with the announcer saying "Let's get it now, with the groovy Supremes") and it is in stereo.
    I've got to check the voice takes on the singles based on "When the Lovelight"... and to also to find this cd [[or could you send me the file ?)
    Thanks for the info :-)

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Top-40s-Swingin-Soft-Drink-Spots-Of-The-60s-Vol-1/release/3727846

This is the 2CD set. There are two caveats: [[1) The ad based on When The Lovelight Starts is on the 1964 disc, perhaps because the song itself was on the Where Did Our Love Go album, which was released in 1964, even though the ad was recorded in 5-65; the 1965 CD features the It's The Little Things ad, although that ad did not appear until a few years later. [[2) This version of the "1964" ad may have been included on the 25th Anniversary double CD Motown released; however, on my copy of that set, the Baby Love ad appeared broken in half, with one half beginning as track #23 and the other half continuing as track#24 [[even though the jacket proclaims that the When The Lovelight Starts ad is track #23 and the Baby Love ad is track#24.

However, this set is interesting for those who lived through the 1960s, as there are several Coke ads as well as other soft drink ads that don't appear on other compilations; these are by various pop acts of the era, and they are interspersed among radio promos for WABC and other stations and a bit of DJ chitchat. The 1964 and the 1965 tracks are not subdivided by the individual cuts, so you have to listen to each whole track once to find the Diana Ross & The Supremes' ads [[or others that appeal to you). Once you do that, you can jot down the time where each ad appears and fast-forward to get to those spots whenever you want.