[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    OH YEAH! Excellent thread, Gary! I've been working some overtime at work, coming home later than usual. I want to wait til Friday night or Saturday when I can really relax, take my sweet time enjoying your hard work here. You've put a large smile on my tired face and brought a bit of a spring to my aching bones tonight! Can't wait for the weekend to take all of this in...
    Thanks, Waiting! And you've just made my day! I'm currently working on Part B - "The Complete Philles LP Releases", complete with audio for each track. Hoping to have it ready by this weekend, but it's taking a bit longer than expected. If I don't finish it in time for the weekend, it will be soon after. I have many more fun ideas in mind which I'm sure you'll enjoy! In the meantime, hope you enjoy the "Complete Philles 45 Releases" as much as I've enjoyed preparing it for you.

The "promo" copy I saw of Stumble & Fall & Quiet Guy was white & had two stars printed on the Quiet Guy side. This is the first time I've seen the regular Philles label 45 of it. Amazing. The local radio I called at the time told me that had been told to stop playing the record "Quiet Guy" as it was withdrawn from the market. As you know, the Crystals first record "Oh Yea, Maybe Baby" was intended to be the A side & djs flipped it to "Theres No Other" thats why Phil said he put those throw away instrumentals on the back after that happened. The Crystals told me that some promoters would tell them to please bring their instruments with them to play, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    The "promo" copy I saw of Stumble & Fall & Quiet Guy was white & had two stars printed on the Quiet Guy side. This is the first time I've seen the regular Philles label 45 of it. Amazing. The local radio I called at the time told me that had been told to stop playing the record "Quiet Guy" as it was withdrawn from the market. As you know, the Crystals first record "Oh Yea, Maybe Baby" was intended to be the A side & djs flipped it to "Theres No Other" thats why Phil said he put those throw away instrumentals on the back after that happened. The Crystals told me that some promoters would tell them to please bring their instruments with them to play, LOL
    So that would mean that "Quiet Guy" was the intended A-side, wouldn't it?

That's funny that the promoters would think the Crystals were a self-contained band!

ROTFL!!!! "Bring their instruments with them"!!! Ha! Now THAT'S FUNNY!!! HaHaHaHaHaaaaaaa!!! Yeah, I was baffled to see my yellow/red Promo copy instead of the usual white/black Promo label, which may explain its exhorbitant price. Doesn't matter. Either way, I Iove it as it is. It's really odd that the white/black "Quiet Guy" copy you saw had the 2 stars on the intended B-side. On the first "Rare Masters" LP [["Vol. 5 Wall Of Sound" series on Phil Spector International Records), it states that "[[He's A) Quiet Guy" was the intended "flip side of 'Stumble And Fall". If you'll notice in the video for Steve Douglas & His Merry Men's "Yes Sir, That's My Baby" [[Philles 104) on the "Complete Philles 45 Discography), my white/black Promo 'Script' label copy has the DJ's writing on the wrong side as well, as "Colonel Bogey's Parade" was the intended A-side. Doesn't matter. It probably didn't get any airplay anyway!

Yeah, ""Oh Yeah, Maybe Baby" was Phil's intended A-side" of "There's No Other", and The Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody" was Phil's intended B-side of "Hung On You". I guess there was some method to Phil's madness when he put those little instrumentals on the Philles' B-sides!

Philles/Motown Gary:

Yeah, ""Oh Yeah, Maybe Baby" was Phil's intended A-side" of "There's No Other", and The Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody" was Phil's intended B-side of "Hung On You". I guess there was some method to Phil's madness when he put those little instrumentals on the Philles' B-sides!

Very interesting . I can see why Phil would be upset :"OH YEAH MAYBE BABY" is his introduction to the world of his upcoming 'wall of sound' sound while THERE'S NO OTHER was more of a safe throw back to what others had done.
    [[When did record companies start sub-labeling their 45's to give the program directors a clue as to which side was the chosen play side?)

Gary I can feel the holy grailness of your STUMBLE AND FALL 45. It's beautiful .

Thanks, Kenny! That, and my super-rare white/black Promo copy of "A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records" are my 2 "Holy Grails" in my Philles collection. Of course, the Philles Promo copy of the Christmas LP is worth even more than the "Stumble And Fall" Philles 45.

As far as record companies labeling which side of a 45 is the "plug" side, they've been doing that for years in one form or other. Sometimes they'd use printed stars, as motony pointed out. Sometimes they'd have the intended A-side on both sides of the record -- one in Mono, the other in Stereo. Columbia Records had a great big letter "A" on the plug side indicating "Audition" side for radio DJ's. There are surely additional examples of indicating the plug side, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment. There is one way, however, that I discovered on my own over the years. On the record label, there is a small set of numbers [[often located near the actual record catalog #). As a hypothetical example, the A-side's numbers might be 80231; the numbers on the B-side would be 80232. That's how I learned to decipher the intended A-side. Now that I've said it, there are probably exceptions to that rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thanks, Kenny! That, and my super-rare white/black Promo copy of "A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records" are my 2 "Holy Grails" in my Philles collection. Of course, the Philles Promo copy of the Christmas LP is worth even more than the "Stumble And Fall" Philles 45.

As far as record companies labeling which side of a 45 is the "plug" side, they've been doing that for years in one form or other. Sometimes they'd use printed stars, as motony pointed out. Sometimes they'd have the intended A-side on both sides of the record -- one in Mono, the other in Stereo. Columbia Records had a great big letter "A" on the plug side indicating "Audition" side for radio DJ's. There are surely additional examples of indicating the plug side, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment. There is one way, however, that I discovered on my own over the years. On the record label, there is a small set of numbers [[often located near the actual record catalog #). As a hypothetical example, the A-side's numbers might be 80231; the numbers on the B-side would be 80232. That's how I learned to decipher the intended A-side. Now that I've said it, there are probably exceptions to that rule!
    Hey Gar, it was boogiedown who made the "holy grail" comparison, though I agree! I wasn't sure if you meant that for me or boogiedown.

Interesting though about how the A-side was designated. I love piecing together these old ways of doing things. It's fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Very interesting . I can see why Phil would be upset :"OH YEAH MAYBE BABY" is his introduction to the world of his upcoming 'wall of sound' sound while THERE'S NO OTHER was more of a safe throw back to what others had done.
    [[When did record companies start sub-labeling their 45's to give the program directors a clue as to which side was the chosen play side?)

Gary I can feel the holy grailness of your STUMBLE AND FALL 45. It's beautiful .
    John, I'm sorry! I just replied to your post thinking it was Kenny who complimented my Holy Grail and the question about when they started indicating which side of a record was the plug side. I apologize for that. Again, great post! Thanks so much for that! Maybe I can get Kenny to post a photo of my Promo Philles Christmas LP. It's the "Holiest" of my Philles "Grail"!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Hey Gar, it was boogiedown who made the "holy grail" comparison, though I agree! I wasn't sure if you meant that for me or boogiedown.

Interesting though about how the A-side was designated. I love piecing together these old ways of doing things. It's fascinating.
    I know, Kenny! Just another one of many senior moments! I've already apologized to John for my error and thanked him for his excellent post.

You're right, Kenny - from a fan's standpoint, the record business has been fascinating! Over the years, we've learned what went on behind the scenes at the record companies, and also at the actual recording sessions. Then there are the various pressings and label variations of the records themselves, with entire books devoted to the latter alone. We've lived a good life musically. What do today's upcoming music fans have? A download. Thank goodness we grew up when we did!

ha ! no foul no harm!

Hey Gary, when I mentioned my overall tepid enthusiasm for MALAGUANA , I wondered if you might try and set me straight with a rousing version by Billy Vaughn! !

Oh another name I see that I find interesting here in the Philles documents .....Gene Pitney ! So much to discuss !!

Patricia Wright was the lead singer on "Oh Yea, Maybe Baby" as all the Crystals could sing.When I met the group the first time in 1971 it was Barbara, Dee Dee & Mary. Thats when I first had bad thoughts about Phil because they told me they got $5,000. out of him after "Theres' No Other" AND "Uptown" hit...they marched up to his office & told him they would not record anymore until he paid them...they went straight to his bank & cashed the check. They said "thank GOD he was not our manager" because they did real good on LIVE engagements.Phil wanted to control everything he was mad at them & thats why he went to Calif. & did "he's A Rebel" they said they were on their way to an engagement when they hear it on the radio & luckily Gene Pitney was on the same show & taught them the song because he wrote it for them but somehow the publisher had offered it to Snuff Garrett & Phil at the same time.

ha ! no foul no harm!

Hey Gary, when I mentioned my overall tepid enthusiasm for MALAGUANA , I wondered if you might try and set me straight with a rousing version by Billy Vaughn! !

Oh another name I see that I find interesting here in the Philles documents .....Gene Pitney ! So much to discuss !!
    Hey Boogie! I just searched my word Processing Playlist through ALL 50+ of my Billy Vaughn CDs and each and every track on ALL of them. Billy was the king of cover versions, and he did them really well, too, but to my surprise, "Malaguena" is one song he did not release.

However, I DO have a version of "Malaguena" for you which, I can almost bet money on, you won't find boring nor tepid. It's by Connie Francis -- another one of my favorite 1950's-'60s [[MGM) recording artists. The video doesn't go with the music, but the poster provided many great photos and video moments of Connie from back in the day

https://youtu.be/VdlBmnRd7vc

Phil produced "Every Breath I Take" on Gene Pitney during the pre-Philles days before Phil developed his style and his Girl Group "Wall Of Sound". And then, after Phil established Philles, Gene Pitney wrote The Crystals' "He's A Rebel". Other than that, I know that Gene had some really nice radio hits like "Only Love Can Break A Heart", 'Town Without Pity", "Half Heaven, Half Heartache", etc. But, other than that, I don't know much about him. Sounds like he's one of your favorites?

Patricia Wright was the lead singer on "Oh Yea, Maybe Baby" as all the Crystals could sing.When I met the group the first time in 1971 it was Barbara, Dee Dee & Mary. Thats when I first had bad thoughts about Phil because they told me they got $5,000. out of him after "Theres' No Other" AND "Uptown" hit...they marched up to his office & told him they would not record anymore until he paid them...they went straight to his bank & cashed the check. They said "thank GOD he was not our manager" because they did real good on LIVE engagements.Phil wanted to control everything he was mad at them & thats why he went to Calif. & did "he's A Rebel" they said they were on their way to an engagement when they hear it on the radio & luckily Gene Pitney was on the same show & taught them the song because he wrote it for them but somehow the publisher had offered it to Snuff Garrett & Phil at the same time.
    Yeah, that's right, Motony. The Phil Spector books all confirm that. Unfortunately, it was the norm back then. The record companies didn't pay the artists any more than they had to. As Mary Weiss of The Shangri-Las said, and I've heard Ronnie Ronette say it, too, they weren't even thinking about money back then. For them, it was all fun and games at the time -- making records, wearing cool stage attire, plus the thrill of performing live on stage to the audiences' applause. They were having a ball, and they were just thrilled to be a part of it. When the girls did need the money, they had to fight to get it. It doesn't make it right, but it was a sign of the times -- not just with Phil.

Hey Boogie! I just searched my word Processing Playlist through ALL 50+ of my Billy Vaughn CDs and each and every track on ALL of them. Billy was the king of cover versions, and he did them really well, too, but to my surprise, "Malaguena" is one song he did not release.

However, I DO have a version of "Malaguena" for you which, I can almost bet money on, you won't find boring nor tepid. It's by Connie Francis -- another one of my favorite 1950's-'60s [[MGM) recording artists. The video doesn't go with the music, but the poster provided many great photos and video moments of Connie from back in the day
    Very kind of you Gary to search through fifty Billy Vaughn CDs .... [[you have fifty!?)....in the hopes of a MALAGUENA cover. You shouldn't do that!!

And yes Connie 's version is anything but boring or tepid. And --- Can I just leave it at that?

<sub>

Phil produced "Every Breath I Take" on Gene Pitney during the pre-Philles days before Phil developed his style and his Girl Group "Wall Of Sound". And then, after Phil established Philles, Gene Pitney wrote The Crystals' "He's A Rebel". Other than that, I know that Gene had some really nice radio hits like "Only Love Can Break A Heart", 'Town Without Pity", "Half Heaven, Half Heartache", etc. But, other than that, I don't know much about him. Sounds like he's one of your favorites?
    Not a specific favorite, but i respect his work .

And so much of this information is circular and interlocking :

For instance, Gene Pitney's biggest hit was ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART. It peaked at #2. By doing a little research , wiki!, guess what I discovered was the song that was blocking his ascent to #1?
    And Gene would never get as close to a #1 again.

--- Not trying to sound like an expert at all, but also from reading some at wiki
    and for
    Motony ,it looks like Pitney first wrote HES A REBEL for The Shirelles , who turned it down.

One last thing . We lost Ali Hassan only months ago. RIP.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-16-2019 at 01:45 AM.

I was afraid somebody might ask that, 144man! HaHa! The truth is, the majority of music on those subsidiary labels was so substandard, they mean nothing to me, although I do have some of them in my 45 collection -- just-to-have for the sake of having one each of those 45 labels [[minus Annette). Phil spent so much time and loving care on each of the Philles recordings, it's hard to believe that he could release such 2nd-rate schlock on those subsidiary labels [[Phil Spector Records, Annette [[honoring his first wife), Shirley [[honoring his sister), and Phi-Dan [[honoring Danny Davis, who was Phil's promotions man). Maybe they provided Phil with a tax write-off? Who knows. Now that I've finished the Philles 45 Discography, let me concentrate on providing you with the Philles LP's Discography followed by the Unreleased Philles tracks. Then I'll see what I can do for you with the subsidiary labels. Sound good?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  21.1 KB
    I wouldn't leave several Phil Spector and Phi-Dan issues off of a Philles biographical discography. Both Veronica 45s on Phil Spector records, and many cuts by various artists released on Phi-Dan were worthy of inclusion in The Philles canon, like "Why Can't They let us Fall In Love". Some of the Phi-Dan cuts are among my favourites.

Very kind of you Gary to search through fifty Billy Vaughn CDs ....fifty..in the hopes of a MALAGUANA cover. You shouldn't do that!!

And yes Connie 's version is anything but boring or tepid. And --- Can I just leave it at that?

<sub>

Not a particular favorite, but i respect his work .

And so much of this information is so circular:

For instance, Gene Pitney's biggest hit was ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART . It peaked at #2 . By doing a little research , wiki!, guess what I discovered was the song that was blocking his ascent to #1?
    And Gene would never get as close to a #1 again.

--- Not trying to sound like an expert at all, but also from reading some at wiki
    and for
    Motony ,it looks like Pitney first wrote HES A REBEL for The Shirelles , who turned it down.
    Thanks for the praise, John, but my word processor did all the work! You see, whenever I get a new CD, I enter the artist's name, the title of the CD, and each of the track titles in the CD. [[I have to do this. With 5,000-6,000 CDs in my collection, it's the only way I can keep track of what I have. Lord help me if my PC or my external hard drive ever conks out.) Anyway, with 50+ Billy Vaughn CDs in my collection, they are represented in 50 separate Billy Vaughn entries in my word Processing CD Playlist aling with the tracklist within each entry. All I had to do search for the word "Malaguena" and it will either locate it -- or tell me that nothing was found -- in about one second. It's super fast. Of course, if the word Malaguena is within my CD Playlist but it's spelled wrong, the search engine won't recognize it. I hope that wasn't the case. But Billy Vaughn was so very, very prolific throughout his career, I'm almost shocked that he didn't cover that song -- especially on his album of Latin American hits. I looked at that entry manually, but "Malaguena" wasn't on that CD.

You didn't like Connie's version, I take it. I'm not crazy about that kind of music, either, but I do love Connie's regular pop hits. She's another one who had 50+ albums. Her popularity was huge world-wide.

Yeah, I had forgotten that The Shirelles turned down "He's A Rebel". I'm glad they did, as The Crystal's were much better singers and had much better pitch. If things had happened any differently, Philles Records might have never happened. [[I take it Gene Pitney's record was kept out of the #1 chart position by "He's A Rebel"? Ha!
    That's almost funny! I'll bet he cried all the way to the bank!

Please don't ever apologize for sharing what you know, John. To a degree, we're all experts in the music that we know and love. For me, it's Philles and Motown, and a few other categories. That's the neat thing about SDF. We all come here to learn and to share in the expertise. You've never come off like a know-it-all. I don't think anyone here does. In fact, I admire people who can teach me even more about the music that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 728
    I wouldn't leave several Phil Spector and Phi-Dan issues off of a Philles biographical discography. Both Veronica 45s on Phil Spector records, and many cuts by various artists released on Phi-Dan were worthy of inclusion in The Philles canon, like "Why Can't They let us Fall In Love". Some of the Phi-Dan cuts are among my favourites.
    Don't worry, Robb, they're coming. I'm concentrating on that which I love which is just Philles proper at the moment. I'm working on Part B - the "Complete Philles LPs" as we speak. [[One Veronica single you mentioned is included on The Ronettes "Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes" LP; and the other tracks you mentioned will be included in Part C - "Rare And Unreleased Philles", as in the "Rare Masters" albums "Plus".) Sooner or later, it will all be incorporated into my Phil Spector thread, including A&M and WarnerSpector. And then there's Phil Spector International! There's just so much of it which takes time and planning on my part. I'll do the subsidiary labels as a Part D after Part C is compiled and presented. Just try to be patient and stay tuned!

deleted. too far off topic .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-16-2019 at 04:46 AM.

I can hear what you're saying, Boog -- in the middle part, especially if you're hearing it from a room away -- they sound very similar. I wonder if that would work in reverse? If I were to hear White Rabbit from a room away, would it remind me of "Connie's "Malaguena"? Interesting! Too bad you're not here. You could test me with it one day when I least expect it! Ha!!!

Well now I’m wondering what that deleted post said. And just by the way though it doesn’t really matter as far as this thread goes, I love Connie Francis‘s version of malaguena! But I love almost anything Connie Francis does anyway especially on her foreign language LPs.

I know I'm going too far off-topic, but, while we're on the subject of Connie Francis, I can never resist the opportunity to mention her "Don't Ever Leave Me", written and produced by Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry.

Deleted post? The only thing I can think of is when I tested a few lines from Part B - the "Complete Philles LP Discography" -- which I'm currently working on -- to see how the line endings were coming out, as I didn't want them wrapping sloppily onto the next line. So I tested a few lines' worth in a newly-created post and then deleted them. I didn't know that you could see a deletion on your end. [[For some reason, on my Smartphone, when I post something and then discover a typo or a better way I could have worded it, I've always revised it to make it perfect. Lately, however, it won't let me do that. It only gives me the option to delete the post, so I used it to my advantage to test the line endings and then deleted my test. Sorry about that. Now that I know you can see that deletion on your end, I won't do it again.

Yeah, I love Connie, too, Kenny. She could sing anything. I'm not particularly fond of foreign-language recordings, but Connie's three Italian albums are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I know I'm going too far off-topic, but, while we're on the subject of Connie Francis, I can never resist the opportunity to mention her "Don't Ever Leave Me", written and produced by Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry.
    Oh, yeah, for sure, 144man! "Don't Ever Leave Me" was Connie's best girl-group record EVER!

CONNIE FRANCIS - "Don't Ever Leave Me"
    https://youtu.be/UcPgIoZzNEI

Jeff & Ellie wrote a ton of great material for Phil Spector as well as for girl-group label Red Bird and other label's artists, i.e., Connie Francis, Lesley Gore's "Girl Talk" LP, etc.

Oh dear . Now I've made a bigger mess on your thread Gary. Exactly what i wanted to avoid.
    I woke up in the middle of the night regretting I was diverting the topic too far from what you're working so hard on. So I got up out of bed turned on the computer and deleted my post to help keep us on track.
    That's what Kenny was referring to .

deleted. too far off topic .
    Oh, okay, John, so it's YOUR deleted post Kenny was referring to, not mine! No problem. Yeah, the "White Rabbit" post was kinda out-there; but hey -- when we're talking about music that we love, it's easy to get momentarily side-tracked. Some of the best conversations happen that way. If people don't like it, they can just skip on to the next post to where the original topic is back on track.

Oh dear . Now I've made a bigger mess on your thread Gary. Exactly what i wanted to avoid.
    I woke up in the middle of the night regretting I was diverting the topic too far from what you're working so hard on. So I got up out of bed turned on the computer and deleted my post to help keep us on track.
    That's what Kenny was referring to .
    Yeah, I figured that out. Bless your heart, man! You didn't have to go through all that! But it shows you were being conscientious and considerate, and I appreciate that! Thanks!

Philles fans, Kenny has offered to upload the photos of my most prized Philles possession -- the super-rare NM, white/black PR-logo Promo version of "A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records". Stay tuned!

Oh, yeah, for sure, 144man! "Don't Ever Leave Me" was Connie's best girl-group record EVER!

CONNIE FRANCIS - "Don't Ever Leave Me"
    https://youtu.be/UcPgIoZzNEI

Jeff & Ellie wrote a ton of great material for Phil Spector as well as for girl-group label Red Bird and other label's artists, i.e., Connie Francis, Lesley Gore's "Girl Talk" LP, etc.
    You won't be surprised to hear that I used to collect the Red Bird and Blue Cat labels.

Not at all surprised, 144man! I, too, have most of the Red Bird output on CD, and also some favorites of those titles on NM 45s. There are still a few super-rare, elusive Red Bird titles that I was never able to find, but that's okay. Can no longer afford to buy them now anyway! But that was a great girl-group label. Jeff & Ellie and Shadow Morton embraced it and made it their own. It was a shame that George Goldner gambled it all away.

Philles fans, Kenny has offered to upload the photos of my most prized Philles possession -- the super-rare NM, white/black PR-logo Promo version of "A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records". Stay tuned!
    Yes, that way for a moment, I can pretend at least via the ether, I had them myself!

Yes, that way for a moment, I can pretend at least via the ether, I had them myself!
    Yeah, Kenny, you can enjoy my Philles vinyl vicariously through my photos!

We've decided that Kenny will wait and upload the Promo Christmas LP photos when I submit the new Part B - "Complete Philles LP Disccography" which is nearly completed. They will be more appropriate there rather than here in the "Complete Philles 45 Discography".

With the recent passing of Peter Fonda [[RIP), I heard it mentioned that Phil Spector was in the movie EASY RIDER . He was billed as " The Connection":

With the recent passing of Peter Fonda [[RIP), I heard it mentioned that Phil Spector was in the movie EASY RIDER . He was billed as " The Connection":

Thanks for that timely piece, John. Believe it or not, as much as I love Phil Spector, I've never seen this movie scene before. I knew it existed, and I have a photo of Phil's coke-sniffing scene in the Christmas card he sent me back around 1969 in which it says, "A little snow never hurt anybody." But, the actual movie scene itself, no -- not until now.

Loving this thread [[I knew I would).

Apart from 1, all the Philles albums are available on mini-LP CDs as well as the Ike & Tina and The Checkmates offerings from the A&M days. The missing one, "Lenny Bruce is Out Again" does seem to be available as an mp3 download from Amazon though.

At the risk of digressing [[a little) this version of "Spanish Harlem" by Phil, for me, is probably the best.

And I also love those Paris Sisters "What Am I To Do" etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    At the risk of digressing [[a little) this version of "Spanish Harlem" by Phil, for me, is probably the best.

Hi mysterysinger! Yeah, Phil does an amazingly nice job on this demo. I wonder if it was meant as a demo for the version that Phil produced on Sonny Charles & The Checkmates which I'm also very fond of.

https://youtu.be/Yy9GK4zdivE

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Phil Spector thread so far! There's lots more fun Philles stuff to come!

Loving this thread [[I knew I would).

Apart from 1, all the Philles albums are available on mini-LP CDs as well as the Ike & Tina and The Checkmates offerings from the A&M days. The missing one, "Lenny Bruce is Out Again" does seem to be available as an mp3 download from Amazon though.
    I have the three Righteous Brothers Philles CDs sold separately from the Philles LP box set. I also have a Lenny Bruce 2-fer CD which includes the entirety of the "Is Out Again" show of which Phil included only a portion on The Philles LP. I wasn't aware that the 2 A&M albums have been RE-reissued on CD. [[I have the 2 original CD releases. I may have to look into them if the new ones are indeed remastered.)

These are my mini-LPs. Not sure about re-mastering I'll have to listen again. I do know the Checkmates one [[and maybe Ike & Tina) was also re-issued by Hip-o-Select so they could well be re-mastered. Mine are the Japan versions.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57683687804772

They're beautiful, mysterysinger! I have them all in the small cardboard album material except for the two A&M titles, of which mine are just the regular CD packaging from several years back.

Hearing this for the first time is really painful to me. How can anyone so talented screw up their life so badly?

So that would mean that "Quiet Guy" was the intended A-side, wouldn't it?
    That's funny that the promoters would think the Crystals were a self-contained band!
Views: 512
    I've always liked "He's a Quiet Guy" much, much, much more than "Stumble and Fall". It became my favourite [[by far) Philles record upon my first listen.

Don't worry, Robb, they're coming. I'm concentrating on that which I love which is just Philles proper at the moment. I'm working on Part B - the "Complete Philles LPs" as we speak. [[One Veronica single you mentioned is included on The Ronettes "Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes" LP; and the other tracks you mentioned will be included in Part C - "Rare And Unreleased Philles", as in the "Rare Masters" albums "Plus".) Sooner or later, it will all be incorporated into my Phil Spector thread, including A&M and WarnerSpector. And then there's Phil Spector International! There's just so much of it which takes time and planning on my part. I'll do the subsidiary labels as a Part D after Part C is compiled and presented. Just try to be patient and stay tuned!
Views: 464
    Well, I have ALL of them on the original records in at least near mint shape, and all of the previously unreleased that were released later [[early 1970s?) on facsimile Philles labels. So, I can hear them whenever I want, anyway. But, it's nice to hear that your project will be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Hearing this for the first time is really painful to me. How can anyone so talented screw up their life so badly?
    I know, 144man. It's such a shame. Despite that massive talent, sometimes Phil was his own worst enemy, and, unfortunately, it all caught up with him.

Hi mysterysinger! Yeah, Phil does an amazingly nice job on this demo. I wonder if it was meant as a demo for the version that Phil produced on Sonny Charles & The Checkmates which I'm also very fond of.

https://youtu.be/Yy9GK4zdivE

!
    Does it not need to be said that Phil had a hand in the writing of this song? Listening to it, the percussive spoons [[?) , the sweeping strings, seems like working on this song in 1960 might've helped steer Phil's sound into what it would become?

Incredibly , SPANISH HARLEM was another b side on a 45 that got flipped !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-27-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Does it not need to be said that Phil had a hand in the writing of this song? Listening to it, the percussive spoons [[?) , the sweeping strings, seems like working on this song in 1960 might've helped steer Phil's sound into what it would become?

Incredibly , SPANISH HARLEM was another b side on a 45 that got flipped !!
    Absolutely, John. Phil had a flair for writing and/or producing records with a Baion beat both pre-Philles and early Philles like "Spanish Harlem", "Save The Last Dance For Me," "On Broadway", "Uptown", etc.

Absolutely, John. Phil had a flair for writing and/or producing records with a Baion beat both pre-Philles and early Philles like "Spanish Harlem", "Save The Last Dance For Me," "On Broadway", "Uptown", etc.
    Are you saying that Phil had a history with the song SAVE THE LAST DANCE... before recording it with Tina Turner?

and backing up a bit , concerning Connie Francis, first of all her MALAGUENA has now somewhat grown on me !, [[although I keep drifting into Ricky Ricardo's BABALU at times as I listen!lol!)....but also Phil produced one [[?) song [[how does that happen?) for her in 1962 and it went top ten [[#7) :

A very restrained Spector on that one , nothing signature about it , almost a walk in the park. Is she trying to compete with Patsy Cline with this one perhaps ?

and I had to look up Baion , Gary , that's a new term for me!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-27-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Are you saying that Phil had a history with the song SAVE THE LAST DANCE... before recording it with Tina Turner?

and backing up a bit , concerning Connie Francis, first of all her MALAGUENA has now somewhat grown on me !, [[although I keep drifting into Ricky Ricardo's BABALU at times as I listen!lol!)....but also Phil produced one [[?) song [[how does that happen?) for her in 1962 and it went top ten [[#7) :

A very restrained Spector on that one , nothing signature about it , almost a walk in the park. Is she trying to compete with Patsy Cline with this one perhaps ?

and I had to look up Baion , Gary , that's a new term for me!
    Can't say for sure, John. Although Phil wasn't given producer credit for The Drifters' "Save The Last Dance For Me", fans have wondered for years if he was involved, as its overall sound is reflective of other pre-Philles recordings with which Phil was involved.

Yeah, Phil was reportedly the producer on Connie Francis' "Second-Hand Love". It's never discussed much, and in Connie's "Who's Sorry Now" autobiography from the '80s, she discusses many of her releases in detail, although, if memory serves, she never mentions Phil Spector. In fact, Connie was so prolific in her various styles of music, and she was so successful as her albums and singles sold like hotcakes the world over, MGM allowed Connie to choose her own LP tracklists. They even let her produce her own recording sessions, which was unheard of back then for a female singer, although Connie was never credited as producer on any of her releases. If she produced her own sessions, why would she need Phil's help? And the Phil Spector books never discuss it at all, either, other than to list Connie's "Second-Hand Love" in a long list of Phil's productions. I think everybody remains stumped on that one, especially since Connie's record, beautiful as it is, doesn't contain any of Phil's signature traits.

Connie recorded 3 country LPs with MGM -- one as a duet album with a very young Hank William's, Jr. [[who was also an MGM artist), and then two country-pop LPs of her own at the height of her early-60s career [[both of which were very appealing). I'm sure that Connie wasn't trying to compete with Patsy Cline nor with anyone. She had no need to. Connie's career was going strong on her own. When Country music started going pop, Connie jumped on the bandwagon -- and very successfully, too.

I wish I could take credit for coming up with the Baion terminology, Boog, but the books have all referred to Phil's attraction to a Baion arrangement in some of his pre-Philles and early Philles productions. Still, I'm glad that this old dog was able to teach you a new trick! HaHa!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-27-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Not Baion [[and not the greatest vocal) but another Phil Spector demo for "I Can Hear Music" with piano and vocal...

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...4&action=click

Not Baion [[and not the greatest vocal) but another Phil Spector demo for "I Can Hear Music" with piano and vocal...

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/se...4&action=click
    Mystery, when I tried to open the link, it was a message from Oath, wanting me to grant them permission to invade my computer. There's no way I was gonna grant them that permission, so I checked YouTube and found this version of Phil singing "I Can Hear Music". Is this the same one that you posted?

https://youtu.be/CaXAPj1CDh8