[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: It's a Shame

It's a Shame

The Spinners [[Motown or Detroit) with G.C. Cameron and "It's a Shame"

These guys are always smiling. Fab group.

A nice performance of an all-time favorite. This is a 45 that I always think should end up on 'best singles ever' lists. Just perfect all around. The guitar intro, the general vibe, the falsetto 'Why do ...' section, everything. Just a perfect moment. Doesn't get any better. And, yes, The Spinners always had a smile about them - I saw them live [[post GC, but still early peak) and there was a joy throughout the theater -

Aw, nice performance! G.C Cameron is such a great singer. I remember when I first listened to this song, it completely blew me away. Such a great one!

Tom: I don't know whether you saw this recent excellent writeup on the Spinners, but it is very encompassing from the beginning to the current linup. Check it out. You will definitely learn something.

https://www.soultracks.com/birthday-henry-fambrough

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Tom: I don't know whether you saw this recent excellent writeup on the Spinners, but it is very encompassing from the beginning to the current linup. Check it out. You will definitely learn something.

https://www.soultracks.com/birthday-henry-fambrough
    Thanks Bill, that is a great write up.

I wonder what would have happened if G.C. had followed the group to Atlantic…!

GC still sounds good, as of this performance. Such a great cut.

Good wrap-up of the Spinners' story. However nowhere does it mention Bobby Smith being lead singer, certainly throughout the 60s, then sharing duties with Wynne and Edwards later

Bobbie Smith: "The Spinners were mostly available all the time and we would hang around studio every day trying to get on the back scene, background, whatever they needed us to do to make some money. So we became real good friends of Stevie Wonder and Stevie liked the way G.C. sings with a high-falsetto and all of that. So we talked Stevie into doing a song for us, and - do you believe - after we did 'It's A Shame', it stayed in the can for a year before it was released. Even Stevie Wonder couldn't get it out. When they did put it out, it was the biggest hit we ever had."
    "They had a young lady as head of department over there. The Temptations, just about anybody could pick a hit on them at that time, but the Spinners - it was like gambling or taking a chance. I see it as though she was afraid to put herself there on the line by releasing a song that might be a hit or might not be a hit. So it was a sceptical thing, and it just stayed there in the can."

G.C. Cameron: "Stevie and I became best friends after I got with the Spinners. We had much in common. I admired him so much, as I do now -his ability as a writer, producer, singer and musician - - So Stevie had my heart from the beginning, because one of the last songs I heard in Vietnam before I left was 'I Was Made To Love Her.' I carried it with me all the way from Vietnam, all the way to Detroit."
    "When I got there, I met the man and we started hanging out together, chasing the girls and catching some of them. I would pick him up from the clubs, where he was singing, and take him home. He had written this song, I guess, with the Spinners in mind, and one night on the way home I dropped him off and we went down to his basement, and he played it. A few days later we were in the studio recording it." [[Interviews conducted for Soul Express in 2002).

I didn’t realize that G.C. was a ‘Nam vet. Wow.

Best heard IMO via the mono single mix, which showcases the excellent backing vocals.

For me, the stereo mix almost hides away the backing vocals and robs the track of some of its appeal.

Best Spinner song ever

Great guitar beginning and a great bass line

I always liked this song but always thought the instrumentation sounded somewhat 'thin' compared to the classic Motown sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I always liked this song but always thought the instrumentation sounded somewhat 'thin' compared to the classic Motown sound.
    "..the way you mess around with the man."

The spinners were very underused at motown and[it's a shame]i absolutely love the lp[the original spinners] but with the temps-four tops-miracles, the spinners got frozen out, but had the great run with atlantic....and hows this for irony, the mighty temps went to atlantic years after and had next to no success...ain't that a shame!!!

The single version of "Sweet Thing" is still one of my all time favorites. Followed by stereo versions of "Truly Yours" and "I'll Always Love You"

"I'll Always Love You" by The Spinners could just be my alltime favourite Motown record.

And mine….

"I'll Always Love You", "Truly Yours" and "Sweet Thing" are among my favourites as well. I also love the unreleased "Too Late I Learned"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    And mine….
    What's more their Atlantic hit I'll Be Around is also in my all-time top ten, of course another Smith lead

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    What's more their Atlantic hit I'll Be Around is also in my all-time top ten, of course another Smith lead
    Top 5 with a bullet!!!

Bobby Smith has a tremendous voice - I know GC has a remarkable range [[and solo hits of course), Philleepay [[sorry) sings like an angel and The Spinners are a great all round vocal group who all can lead but Bobby's voice features most on the tracks I love best [[apart from maybe "Ghetto Child").

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Bobby Smith has a tremendous voice - I know GC has a remarkable range [[and solo hits of course), Philleepay [[sorry) sings like an angel and The Spinners are a great all round vocal group who all can lead but Bobby's voice features most on the tracks I love best [[apart from maybe "Ghetto Child").
    Ditto, MysteryS!