[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Big drop to #27 in the mid week chart in the UK. Hopefully she will hang on to a Top 50 place on Friday. These days so may albums crash into the Top 10 only to all but disappear in week 2! BTW how can you find out what an album sold?

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Big drop to #27 in the mid week chart in the UK. Hopefully she will hang on to a Top 50 place on Friday. These days so may albums crash into the Top 10 only to all but disappear in week 2! BTW how can you find out what an album sold?
    Soundscan is, I believe, the source measuring units sold, but I think a subscription is needed to access data.

Thanks Peace

Oh no! 'Thank You' has failed to make the new BB Top 200 album chart!

I saw that as well, Copley. Our girl will be so disappointed. Well, it's a wonderful album and the true fans will continue to say 'Thank You' to this wonderful performer the lp! At least Amazon lists it as #149 for their top cd's & lp's and #86 in pop cd's & vinyl.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 11-16-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Was the #92 position not correct then? Missing out completely on the top 200 can´t be right...?

Sad but not sad for Diana because many here claimed she did not care if it succeeded or flopped.

Sorry if I sound unduly critical, but Ross chose to do no promotion, had a very very old sketch of herself as the cover, made 3 super cheap videos, chose an album theme that severely marginalized its popularity, decided not to do a single duet that might have widened its appeal, and had songs that musically sounded like a funeral dirge. She also hired her kids rather than top-notch pros.

Diana’s audience has old ears and she has an old voice. She should sing to her base with Motown-like rhythms, themes, and productions. Period. Ethel Merman tried and failed to attract a younger audience with a disco album. Diana tried the feel-good Twitter angle also to no avail.

Maybe the Grammys might be kind to an old lady and recognize it. They certainly need to make amends for their sinful lack of recognition of her earlier outstanding and historic recordings.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-16-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    Was the #92 position not correct then? Missing out completely on the top 200 can´t be right...?
    Most likely the #92 is from the physical album sales chart - which omits streaming. Typically most albums that rank lower than the top 50 there don't make the streaming inclusive Billboard 200 chart now.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I could not find a chart that listed TY as #92, but the current Billboard 'Top Album Sales Chart' lists the lp as #19 -

https://www.billboard.com/charts/top-album-sales

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Sad but not sad for Diana because many here claimed she did not care if it succeeded or flopped.

Sorry if I sound unduly critical, but Ross chose to do no promotion, had a very very old sketch of herself as the cover, made 3 super cheap videos, chose an album theme that severely marginalized its popularity, decided not to do a single duet that might have widened its appeal, and had songs that musically sounded like a funeral dirge. She also hired her kids rather than top-notch pros.

Diana’s audience has old ears and she has an old voice. She should sing to her base with Motown-like rhythms, themes, and productions. Period. Ethel Merman tried and failed to attract a younger audience with a disco album. Diana tried the feel-good Twitter angle also to no avail.

Maybe the Grammys might be kind to an old lady and recognize it. [[???) They certainly need to make amends for their sinful lack of recognition of her earlier outstanding and historic recordings.
    Judging by the fact she was quick to post how thrilled she was that the album had charted so well in the UK, i would say she very much does care.
    A Grammy nod would be the icing on the cake.

11.16.2021 DIANA DEBUTS ON BILLBOARD! Diana Ross' newest album, "Thank You" found the top 30 on these three Billboard charts this morning!

#16 U.S. Billboard Top Current Album Sales
    #19 U.S. Billboard Top Album Sales
    #25 U.S. Billboard Top R&B Albums Incredible

from Diana Ross the Greatest

The UK market is much smaller and Ross has been more popular there sales wise for years. A top 10 entry whilst looking good in the record books can mean very little in terms of sales. For a long time now albums have been crashing in to the top 10 with first week sales of only 5k or less. However in week two it's a case of that's all there is and they suffer a dramatic fall in sales resulting in drops of 60+ places and in some instances right out of the chart never to be seen again! So overall sales are minimal.

I haven't bought the album as I only like 6 or 7 of the tracks. It's ballad heavy and not in a good way. She played safe which is a pity as she had the chance to make a very different album with a much broader appeal. Writing her own material was not a good idea as it's not her strong point. Instead she should have covered the likes of Ed Sheeran - 'Shivers' and other songs by contemporary writers.

I know that she is 77 but there is no reason to virtually do no promotion at all. A few cheap airbrushed videos and an ancient photo on the CD cover show a lack of respect for her fans. It really does look like she didn't give a damn about anything and thought that her star power would be enough. Well Diana it wasn't so what was the point. By January it will be all forgotten about.

I know that she's supposed to be doing Glastonbury but there's a long time between now and then! I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully all will go to plan but trying to revive 'Thank You' as a stand alone some 7 months later would be like raising the dead! Now what would work would be a set of songs that everyone wants to hear and knows. Supremes hits and Ross solo from '70's & 80's. No medleys, no saccharin - Glastonbury people will be wearing wellie boots and mud, they don't do false modesty! No 'I Will Survive', it's Gloria's hit not hers. Revive a greatest hits package coupled with 'Thank You' as a double CD. That's what Dolly did [[current album +) and she was Glastonbury's greatest success. The crowd loved her and the CD was a massive top 5 hit. Laugh at her own shortcomings, DSB wore a gown and sparking wellie boots. Lionel and the Rolling Stones were also hugely successful. So Diana give the people what THEY want not what YOU want. Thank you - lol!

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    11.16.2021 DIANA DEBUTS ON BILLBOARD! Diana Ross' newest album, "Thank You" found the top 30 on these three Billboard charts this morning!

#16 U.S. Billboard Top Current Album Sales
    #19 U.S. Billboard Top Album Sales
    #25 U.S. Billboard Top R&B Albums Incredible

from Diana Ross the Greatest
    That's nice to see, AY! I had not located the 'Current Album' chart or the 'R&B' chart. Glad to see there is a core audience who still loves the lady like we do!

The UK market is much smaller and Ross has been more popular there sales wise for years. A top 10 entry whilst looking good in the record books can mean very little in terms of sales. For a long time now albums have been crashing in to the top 10 with first week sales of only 5k or less. However in week two it's a case of that's all there is and they suffer a dramatic fall in sales resulting in drops of 60+ places and in some instances right out of the chart never to be seen again! So overall sales are minimal.

I haven't bought the album as I only like 6 or 7 of the tracks. It's ballad heavy and not in a good way. She played safe which is a pity as she had the chance to make a very different album with a much broader appeal. Writing her own material was not a good idea as it's not her strong point. Instead she should have covered the likes of Ed Sheeran - 'Shivers' and other songs by contemporary writers.

I know that she is 77 but there is no reason to virtually do no promotion at all. A few cheap airbrushed videos and an ancient photo on the CD cover show a lack of respect for her fans. It really does look like she didn't give a damn about anything and thought that her star power would be enough. Well Diana it wasn't so what was the point. By January it will be all forgotten about.

I know that she's supposed to be doing Glastonbury but there's a long time between now and then! I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully all will go to plan but trying to revive 'Thank You' as a stand alone some 7 months later would be like raising the dead! Now what would work would be a set of songs that everyone wants to hear and knows. Supremes hits and Ross solo from '70's & 80's. No medleys, no saccharin - Glastonbury people will be wearing wellie boots and mud, they don't do false modesty! No 'I Will Survive', it's Gloria's hit not hers. Revive a greatest hits package coupled with 'Thank You' as a double CD. That's what Dolly did [[current album +) and she was Glastonbury's greatest success. The crowd loved her and the CD was a massive top 5 hit. Laugh at her own shortcomings, DSB wore a gown and sparking wellie boots. Lionel and the Rolling Stones were also hugely successful. So Diana give the people what THEY want not what YOU want. Thank you - lol!
    A good post copley, and i certainly agree with many of the points you raise. The UK sales are but a small spec when compared to potential sales to be had from an album scoring in the USA.
    I remember well that double Dolly package selling incredibly well the time of Glastonbury.
    DSB wearing wellies was such a great idea that won her the crowd. Not that she needed it lol. Talking of DSB, at one point i thought Diana’s new album might turn out a classic to match Shirley's incredible “The Performance album. An album filled with contemporary, well written songs that I consider to be one of her very best.

When she released the "Thank You" single this summer, that did get some attention in the media as it was her first single in years. The stories all mentioned that the album would come out in September.

But then it was kicked back to November. And then ABBA announced their comeback after 40 years away. That stole her thunder in terms of legends returning to the recording studio.

Perhaps Decca should have stuck to the September release date?

Hi Ollie. I'm not a big fan of DSB, I like her in small doses. However I do have one of her albums and yes it is 'The Performance'. The album spent 8 weeks on the UK albums chart, peaking at No. 20. Ultimately the album was certified gold by the BPI for sales of over 100,000 copies in the UK. So as I said the position looks great in record books but it's sales that counts. 'The Performance' changed how I viewed DSB. I'm sure that some fans didn't buy it as it was so different but she gained many new fans like me who made up for any losses. I'm certain that the same would happen with Ross, lose some gain some. Most core fans never leave and maintain that everything new is the best thing ever even when they are just kidding themselves. It's just an unhealthy obsession with whoever they are 'stalking' figuratively not literally of course. Just in case anyone thinks I'm a hater think on & look sharp. Between Ross & DRATS I have over 50 CDs including some still unreleased tracks! Last single I bought was 'Paradise', last studio album was 'Diana 1980'.

Maybe the Grammys might be kind to an old lady and recognize it. They certainly need to make amends for their sinful lack of recognition of her earlier outstanding and historic recordings.
    Some valid points here. Not sure if the theme was a turnoff as there have been plenty of pop albums released over the decades with a Universal Peace and Love and Positivity theme. But then again, even as promoted as such, in general not every song on those albums revolved around that theme! She did do a tweet of her in the shroud robe from the I Still Believe video with this backdrop that had religious overtones. There was a bit of a Messiah complex going on with that promotional tweet that could be a turnoff.

As for duets, I suspect the only ones these days she would duet with would be Rhonda or Evan, or if she must go outside the family, Fred White.

As for Grammys, isn't there a cut off date? I believe end of October. So the album would not qualify. Perhaps the Thank you single or If the World Just Danced could get nominated? I can see the single Thank You considered for a Best Traditional R and B vocal nod if such a category exists.

'The Performance' changed how I viewed DSB. I'm sure that some fans didn't buy it as it was so different but she gained many new fans like me who made up for any losses. I'm certain that the same would happen with Ross, lose some gain some. Most core fans never leave and maintain that everything new is the Just in case anyone thinks I'm a hater think on & look sharp. Between Ross & DRATS I have over 50 CDs including some still unreleased tracks! Last single I bought was 'Paradise', last studio album was 'Diana 1980'.
    ‘The Performance’ is a stunning, adult orientated album that features authentic songwriting covering a variety of themes.
    Only 50 cd’s copley!! . Careful now or you’ll have the barmy army after you.

Here's a link to the Billboard Hot 200 albums for this week.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200/

I was wrong about it making the top 200 charts

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I was wrong about it making the top 200 charts
    I'm still a bit shocked that Thank You didn't make the top 200 in its first week out. But then again, there wasn't much promotion. And how that chart is calculated sure has changed since I last followed the charts on a regular basis. A whole new world.

Ah well, I like the album, it's out there for people to find, and that's what really matters. I really thought Diana Ross would never do another album.

#29 in 2nd week on UK Album Chart - better than I was expecting.

#17 on Sales only chart!

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    #29 in 2nd week on UK Album Chart - better than I was expecting.

#17 on Sales only chart!
    Agreed, I was expecting a lower place. It could hang on for a 3rd & perhaps 4th week.

Has there been continued airplay in the UK?

Not that I'm aware of.

I Still Believe may be getting a few plays but probably a hangover of being a high new entry in last week's chart.

A sign of the slump in the albums market sales for last week were 2,958 - yes you did read that correctly.

Not that I'm aware of.

I Still Believe may be getting a few plays but probably a hangover of being a high new entry in last week's chart.

A sign of the slump in the albums market sales for last week were 2,958 - yes you did read that correctly.

sweetest hangover

Just for clarification--did Thank You sell 2,958 albums in the UK in the last week? Or were 2,958 albums total, regardless of who or what, sold in the last week in the UK?

We're not quite that bad yet!

Diana's album sold 2,958 in the last week.

We're not quite that bad yet!

Diana's album sold 2,958 in the last week.
    I know which album I prefer, but almost non existent when compared to the record breaking sales of Abba.

Seems like only diehard fans are buying. Can she sell to the mass public? Not so far.

Since her promotion is only through social media, and only diehards follow her there, it seems she never went after the mass market crowd. Thus, the low sales numbers.

I am thinking about Johnny Cash and Tanya Tucker who both made huge albums very late in their career with huge sales numbers. Both crossed over to the mass market. Tanya won a Grammy last year for her’s. I bought both. Both were outstanding. Both put their faith and trust into the right people [[Rick Ruben and Brandi Carlile) to create their legacy cds. Diana just can’t let go of total control and can’t accept her only talent is as a performer.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-20-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I thought at the very least everyone loved “Dancing Queen”.
    Abba are iconic, and clearly appeal to all generations as their massive, through the roof sales prove. Taken as whole, i personally prefer Diana’s new album.
    There music is okay. But I have never actually bought any of their records.
    but I agree they are iconic and have a huge fan base.

Seems like only diehard fans are buying. Can she sell to the mass public? Not so far.

Since her promotion is only through social media, and only diehards follow her there, it seems she never went after the mass market crowd. Thus, the low sales numbers.

I am thinking about Johnny Cash and Tanya Tucker who both made huge albums very late in their career with huge sales numbers. Both crossed over to the mass market. Tanya won a Grammy last year for her’s. I bought both. Both were outstanding. Both put their faith and trust into the right people [[Rick Ruben and Brandi Carlile) to create their legacy cds. Diana just can’t let go of total control and can’t accept her only talent is as a performer.
    I thought once the album was released she would do a little tv promo, but sadly no.
    I’m wondering if “Thank You” will re-promoted in the UK next year to correspond with the tour. Glastonbury is a massively high profile gig, certain to garner her oodles of media attention. Hopefully the albums full potential has yet to be realised.

CBC just had a story on Adele. There was not a mention of sales. Only streaming and YouTube views and listens on Apple Music etc. Evidently, Adele had the most first day listens in history [[or some such record).

All is changed.

I noticed one of Diana's songs had 1.8 million You Tube views; I think it was I Still Believe. I don't know any of these new songs.

I think most of us are too old to be able to adapt to all these new rules and new ways, lol. Sorry, I am.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 11-22-2021 at 03:07 PM.

In its 3rd week on UK chart Diana opens at #43 - not bad in the circumstances

In its 3rd week on UK chart Diana opens at #43 - not bad in the circumstances
    No, not bad at all. We fans wished for better, but it is what it is. I love the album.

When she performed the last time in the Netherlands, in 2009,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDVK-4tET4M

Then a certain discount drugstore had a special edition with a compilation out, including new numbers. I believe you even got it a free one when you bought a ticket.

It reached number 5 and stayed 15 weeks in the Dutch album top 100.

So, yeah....remember the soaring numbers for One Woman, The Ultimate Collection in the UK? 1.200.000, 4 times platinum, so making it a double cd, a greatest hits collection + Thank You could work....

Okay, different times, different strokes...Vinyl is making a revival amongst hipsters? Combine it maybe with An Evening With...so they can hear her in her prime?

#55 on 3rd week in UK Album chart.

#23 on Sales only.

Just seen that. She may just get a 4th week.

With Christmas season shopping season starting, it could remain, if not rise a bit, on the UK chart.

Meanwhile here in the US it didn't chart in Billboard's Top 200 and dropped from #16 to #85 in Top Album Sales. Amazon selling it for $8 at 43% off is not a good visual either. The reality is this album already charted as high as it's going to go here.

This could have done so much better and it's one thing - promotion. Diana's unwillingness to promote it is why this isn't selling like it should. A tweet and an Instagram post is not enough. All she needed was to do a few remote interviews on Good Morning America, The View or the Late Show with Stephen Colbert to talk about the album and it would have done wonders for the sales. If she's unwilling to promote this album, what makes Universal/Decca think they want to do more things with her. History lesson: Jean Terrell and A&M.

For Diana, being a legend is not enough to sell.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 11-26-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Meanwhile here in the US it didn't chart in Billboard's Top 200 and dropped from #16 to #85 in Top Album Sales. Amazon selling it for $8 at 43% is not a good visual either. The reality is this album already charted as high as it's going to go here.

This could have done so much better and it's one thing - promotion. Diana's unwillingness to promote it is why this isn't selling like it should. A tweet and an Instagram post is not enough. All she needed was to do a few remote interviews on Good Morning America, The View or the Late Show with Stephen Colbert to talk about the album and it would have done wonders for the sales. If she's unwilling to promote this album, what makes Universal/Decca think they want to do more things with her. History lesson: Jean Terrell and A&M.

For Diana, being a legend is not enough.
    I agree, it could have done so much better with even minimal tv promotion.
    Its hard to fathom when she’s planning a major concert tour of the UK, yet not interested in promoting this very personal album in her homeland.
    Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Meanwhile here in the US it didn't chart in Billboard's Top 200 and dropped from #16 to #85 in Top Album Sales. Amazon selling it for $8 at 43% off is not a good visual either. The reality is this album already charted as high as it's going to go here.

For Diana, being a legend is not enough to sell.
    I agree that promotion has been scant. To be fair, she has posted and promoted Thank You on her social media accounts, which apparently have a couple hundred thousand followers. But it seems like most of them ignored it, or they rarely if ever use their accounts for whatever reason so never saw the posts, or they didn't like what they heard, or they're into Diana Ross for what made her a legend and have no interest in new material from her. For the last group, the adage "What they wanted yesterday is what they want today" applies.

and who cares about ABBA? they're not on Motown and never were...and if you want to play that game, Billie Elish runs rings around ABBA in her sleep..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    and who cares about ABBA? they're not on Motown and never were...and if you want to play that game, Billie Elish runs rings around ABBA in her sleep..
    Your missing the point. The only reason ABBA are mentioned is because the two albums were released simultaneously which was never a good idea.
    What is this game you infer people are playing?. All i read are fans discussing sales of Diana’s album and how a modicum of tv promotion might have made a huge difference.
    Why take offence.

Let’s also not forget Ross is not coming off a huge last cd. Her cds have kind of flopped for the past couple/several decades. She has no recent coat tails to ride on. Thank You came in cold.

I did not buy because I had no interest in it. I have had enough of her doing things her way. I loved her when she did things she was told to do, aka the Motown years.

Let’s also not forget Ross is not coming off a huge last cd. Her cds have kind of flopped for the past couple/several decades. She has no recent coat tails to ride on. Thank You came in cold.

I did not buy because I had no interest in it. I have had enough of her doing things her way. I loved her when she did things she was told to do, aka the Motown years.
    Your missing out Circa. There are really good, uplifting songs on the album.
    Not necessarily one of her Motown clsssics, but enough to make it a worth while purchase.

I am not surprised that Diana has chosen to not do any promotion for the album. She was clearly not contractually obligated to do any. At her age, I can't really blame her for opting out of promotional activities. She's a 77 year old legend, who has worked her butt off for decades, promoting project after project. Why should she continue to hussle? I would imagine that doing rounds of interviews in the midst of the pandemic is even more unappealing to her, as the pandemic has evidently contributed to some additional feelings of anxiety for her. She mentioned she had to be convinced by her sons to film those two latest music videos, as she was uneasy about being in close proximity to other people. Despite all of this, as easy as it is to do a phone or video interview from the comfort of your home these days, we can also see how much promotion she did for the I Love You album and how it really made little difference in boosting sales. That album was by no means a chart topper. In this case, she was given an opportunity to record new music, on her own terms, and happily did it. It's clear that her attitude is, "I'm here today and have nothing left to prove...take me or leave me". Dame Shirley Bassey also released an album last year and she is in her 80's now. She did almost no promotion for it either, other than a couple of brief press interviews that we were printed, and like Diana, she also released her album on Decca.

While Diana's album won't be a chart topper, I think that it will continue to sell in small, steady numbers. It sounds like she is preparing to go back on the road next year, both in the States and in the UK, which will certainly help sales as well. At her age, she's using her time wisely, choosing to do only those things that she enjoys...like recording an album from home, being on stage and spending time with her family. I'm sure spending time catering to the media, many of whom have unrightfully dogged her for years, is the last thing on her list. I would love to see her make a TV appearance, just as much as any other fan, but I respect her wishes and I am thankful for Thank You

Perhaps she will surprise us with an appearance or two, once she is able to firm up her concert schedule. It would make sense to promote the album and any potential concerts in tandem.
    Last edited by carlo; 11-27-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I am not surprised that Diana has chosen to not do any promotion for the album. She was clearly not contractually obligated to do any. At her age, I can't really blame her for opting out of promotional activities. She's a 77 year old legend, who has worked her butt off for decades, promoting project after project. Why should she continue to hussle? I would imagine that doing rounds of interviews in the midst of the pandemic is even more unappealing to her, as the pandemic has evidently contributed to some additional feelings of anxiety for her. She mentioned she had to be convinced by her sons to film those two latest music videos, as she was uneasy about being in close proximity to other people. Despite all of this, as easy as it is to do a phone or video interview from the comfort of your home these days, we can also see how much promotion she did for the I Love You album and how it really made little difference in boosting sales. That album was by no means a chart topper. In this case, she was given an opportunity to record new music, on her own terms, and happily did it. It's clear that her attitude is, "I'm here today and have nothing left to prove...take me or leave me". Dame Shirley Bassey also released an album last year and she is in her 80's now. She did almost no promotion for it either, other than a couple of brief press interviews that we were printed, and like Diana, she also released her album on Decca.

While Diana's album won't be a chart topper, I think that it will continue to sell in small, steady numbers. It sounds like she is preparing to go back on the road next year, both in the States and in the UK, which will certainly help sales as well. At her age, she's using her time wisely, choosing to do only those things that she enjoys...like recording an album from home, being on stage and spending time with her family. I'm sure spending time catering to the media, many of whom have unrightfully dogged her for years, is the last thing on her list. I would love to see her make a TV appearance, just as much as any other fan, but I respect her wishes and I am thankful for Thank You

Perhaps she will surprise us with an appearance or two, once she is able to firm up her concert schedule. It would make sense to promote the album and any potential concerts in tandem.
    Great post, yes I agree Diana Ross is doing only what she enjoys doing and that's what contributes to her happy outlook, although I sure would like to see her perform I Still Believe or a medley on one of the upcoming award shows and make a big splash as she did on the AMA's not that long ago!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

Your most probably right Carlo, and think it’s just a question of fans wanting the album to do well and becoming a little frustrated by lack of promotion. It’s only natural. I really don’t think anyone feels she has something to prove.
    With new Covid variants popping up all the time, i’m becoming less confident of the UK tour ever taking place. Hope I’m wrong.

I wonder if she's worried the media will ask her questions about Mary's passing. She hated talking about Flo's death in interviews and the very few times it happened, it was clear she was uneasy about it. Mary's death was just not too long ago so I'm sure they'd be inclined to ask her about it.