[REMOVE ADS]

Some people ditchng streaming for more traditional ways of listening to music

Yes, I feel this. Great article. This is why I have not given up on buying my CDs and vinyls, and still have three stereo systems in my house. As the article brilliantly pointed out, in this modern age, music has become far too much of a passive activity of convenience, for many people. Like everything else, when it becomes a passive activity of convenience, it also tends to become very fleeting and disposable. We lose the connection and deeper appreciation. I liked that it suggested radio as one of the mediums of actively discovering new artists and music. I've recently fallen back in love with my favourite radio station, "The Wave", which focuses on the smooth jazz genre [they also have very few commercials]. I've been discovering all sorts of fantastic music and artists, which isn't dictated to me by an algorithm and less influenced by big record companies' promotional budgets.

Btw, if anyone is interested, you can tune into The Wave FM here...

https://www.wave.fm/
    Last edited by carlo; 10-02-2022 at 09:45 PM.

This is why I've Never gotten into using streaming services for music!

Streaming services. Nope. No thanks. I did get rid of all my LP's [[regrettably) about 30 years ago but have hung on to my CD's [[thankfully). Love reading the liner notes, looking at the pics/covers and actually holding the music. To each his own, I guess. Storage is getting dicey, but I'll manage. Carlo made some really good points that resonated with me.

Count me as one who has never gone for streaming. Like others have said, I like having the product in my hands. I will admit that at one point, I got rid of vinyl on some artists who weren't my faves. But now I find myself buying vinyl as well as cd copies of certain albums if they are available. Heck, I still even make my own cassettes for traveling.

I think a small number of listeners will be interested in the various physical forms. I was interested in the lp resurgence until I read comments [some here) about the dizzying array of varieties of lp pressings, gram weight, you name it, and the relative, inherent quality of each. Can't be bothered! I have relented to streaming and love the variety and availability of titles [example: every Sunday after a long run I do a mile walk and listen to a Neil Young title. Neil has released 43 studio albums, 13 live albums and 19 archive albums. Would I love to own physical copies of all of them? Sure. Is it practical, or even affordable? No.) So while I'll continue to buy the occasional physical title [like Diana's 'Thank You'), the physical is more of a 'souvenir' than source of music. It is what it is.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 10-03-2022 at 12:10 PM.

I've been contemplating streaming for a few years now, mainly to be able to play songs e.g. by Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys etc. for casual listening that I never get around to buying and also to be able to play music where the CD is just too expensive to justify buying.
    I would also like to rip all my CD's to a hard drive to avoid the interruption of keep loading CD's which I rarely play through without skipping some tracks. I would never get rid of any of my CD's or Vinyl though.
    I could do this with a combined streamer/DAC/ripper but still trying to justify the expense [[equipment + subscription) of having this convenience.

Nice to see all these positive comments in favor of having actual physical product. After all will streaming ever make you any money if and when you want to sell your collection? I am living proof that collecting LPs, cassettes, and CDs for a lifetime can help finance your retirement if you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stax_of_Motown View Post
    I've been contemplating streaming for a few years now, mainly to be able to play songs e.g. by Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys etc. for casual listening that I never get around to buying and also to be able to play music where the CD is just too expensive to justify buying.
    I would also like to rip all my CD's to a hard drive to avoid the interruption of keep loading CD's which I rarely play through without skipping some tracks. I would never get rid of any of my CD's or Vinyl though.
    I could do this with a combined streamer/DAC/ripper but still trying to justify the expense [[equipment + subscription) of having this convenience.
    I've been subscribing to YoutubeMusic streaming service for about three years and it's worth EVERY PENNY. I still have my vinyl and cd collection, which is mostly on an i-pod and I don't think I will ever part with any of those, but streaming is like having the keys to the largest record collection in the world. I have discovered so many news songs and artists that I would have never been exposed to if not for the streaming service. I have my favorites that I listen to, but I also have the ability to listen to just about any artist's catalogue of albums. I listen to a ton of jazz artists that I would never hear via radio, or would be able to buy. For me, streaming is a music lover's paradise. I stream thru an app on my phone, and it's so convenient to have. If a song pops in my head it literally takes me seconds to find it on the streaming service. It's a month to month service, so if you can, I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try.
    Last edited by SatansBlues; 10-04-2022 at 02:50 PM.

I've plenty of CDs and downloads, but I do like having streaming as well. For instance I would never own a Loretta Lynn collection, but on the news of her death, last night I streamed a Loretta Lynn playlist. Streaming is good for checking out an artist or genre, etc. And if I really like what I'm checking out, then I'll buy to own.

Yes, I agree with the points you guys have raised about streaming, as I also have monthly Spotify and YouTube music subscriptions. I think the key is being present and listening to music intentionally, as it's equally possible to be unconsciously listening to music via streaming or via physical media. At times, I have accumulated physical media simply for the sake of collecting, and have played my music, while mindlessly scrolling through my phone. In those situations, I can't say I've been sitting down and truly taking in the music that I am hearing, as part of an intentional experience. Tonight was the first time in a while that I put on a CD, plugged in a pair of headphones, and did nothing else, but listen. It was lovely.
    Last edited by carlo; 10-06-2022 at 11:42 PM.

I've listened to music on Spotify and YouTube Music, but CDs and the radio are my main source of listening to music. It's good to look up songs that you don't have on disc or never had on the net though. I'm glad to hear that common sense prevails.