[REMOVE ADS]

Publicity photo of Temptations doing The Temptation Walk w/ footstep diagram below

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  21.1 KB
    Can someone here post the publicity photo of The Temptations doing "The Temptation Walk" with the dance's footstep diagram below it? My copy is in Europe, and I can't get to it now, and I don't have a copy in my computer or online. It's either from late 1965 or early 1966, as I recall, and I can't find one online.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Robb

P.S. I just found out after more than 50+ years, that Jackie Lee had a "Temptation Walk" song out on Mirwood Records in 1966, titled "Do The Temptation Walk". It is lousy to my taste; but I was surprised I don't remember ever noticing it. Of course, I bought The Entertainers IV version as soon as I heard it!

Robb I found two shots of the six photos on a sheet "Temptations Walk"originally owned by Motown, there is now one in the Michael Ochs archive [[Getty) and one other being the original Photo of the same 6 shots. Could not upload the photo's due to copyright.

Link for you to the Photo.
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...kind-500454143

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    Robb I found two shots of the six photos on a sheet "Temptations Walk"originally owned by Motown, there is now one in the Michael Ochs archive [[Getty) and one other being the original Photo of the same 6 shots. Could not upload the photo's due to copyright.

Link for you to the Photo.
Views: 670
    Thanks Graham,
    But the photo I wanted was only one of those six shots, and each is too small to be adequate, and furthermore, it is actually the symbolic footprints demonstrating the dance that were on the white area below, that I am really after. As I remember, it was a promotional device specially made up to try to make it into a popular dance to even increase the group's skyrocketing popularity.

Did The Temptations ever make a recording of a song called "The Temptation Walk", in 1965, in The Snake Pit? I don't remember seeing any record of such a recording. And, "The Temptation Walk" by The Entertainers IV on L.A.'s Dore Records, was credited to B. Swayne and C. Davis [[regular Dore writers) and Lou Bedell's Hillary Music [[Dore's in-house music publishing company). So, I don't know if Motown ever had any plans for The Temptations to sing a song about it, but they DID make that photo dance instruction sheet combo as some kind of publicity piece.

Does anybody else here remember it? I'm sure I've seen it at Motown, but I seem to remember seeing it posted here on SDF as well.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 670
    Thanks Graham,
    But the photo I wanted was only one of those six shots, and each is too small to be adequate, and furthermore, it is actually the symbolic footprints demonstrating the dance that were on the white area below, that I am really after. As I remember, it was a promotional device specially made up to try to make it into a popular dance to even increase the group's skyrocketing popularity.

Did The Temptations ever make a recording of a song called "The Temptation Walk", in 1965, in The Snake Pit? I don't remember seeing any record of such a recording. And, "The Temptation Walk" by The Entertainers IV on L.A.'s Dore Records, was credited to B. Swayne and C. Davis [[regular Dore writers) and Lou Bedell's Hillary Music [[Dore's in-house music publishing company). So, I don't know if Motown ever had any plans for The Temptations to sing a song about it, but they DID make that photo dance instruction sheet combo as some kind of publicity piece.

Does anybody else here remember it? I'm sure I've seen it at Motown, but I seem to remember seeing it posted here on SDF as well.
    There is a band track with no vocals - titled in Motown paperwork as The Temptations Walk - no vocals no backing vocals - written by Fuqua - Bristol recorded 9/1/1965

I don't have anything on the Temps, surprised when it was their "Walk" I have the Jackie Lee it was a big Northern record at one time, others I have:

-Pretenders [[Aka The Larks) Jerk 202 1965
    -Sly Stewart Autumn 26 1965
    -Sonny Charles & Checkmates [[UK) Ember 235 1966

If you want the sound files let me know just need email address or something similar.

PS: the M. Ochs copy now owned by Getty is a large clear poster try "temptation walk Getty photos"
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 08-03-2022 at 12:10 PM.

Isn't there such a depiction on the back of one of their early albums? I don't know why but I think I've seen it on one of the album's back covers.

Then this - but unlikely to be of use to you ....

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    There is a band track with no vocals - titled in Motown paperwork as The Temptations Walk - no vocals no backing vocals - written by Fuqua - Bristol recorded 9/1/1965
Views: 603
    Thanks Paul.
    What I saw was a glossy publicity photo of All 5 Temptations in a line, each doing a different step of "The Temptation Walk", with the photo paper extended below as a white area [[a little larger not/south than the photo above, with the white area covered by painted footprints [[black on white shoe prints) demonstrating the order of the dance's steps. Maybe, If I'm Lucky, the footstep demonstration diagram was also on the back of one of their LPs.

Robb thats the one I have been telling you about, all you need to do is look on line and punch in
    "Getty images Motown Temptations Temptation Walk"

I downloaded a copy but can't forward it on.

A bit of an info of the Checkmates Ltd. record:

The first Checkmates, Ltd. single on Capitol was recorded in Los Angeles on January the 22nd in 1966 and produced by Nancy Wilson and David Cavanaugh [[1919-81). Bobby Stevens: “David Cavanaugh was a major producer and a great arranger. He arranged also Nancy’s music at that time.” After playing tenor saxophone in many bands and releasing singles in his own right, too, in the 1950s David became the Director of A&R for Capitol, where he worked with most of the label’s top artists, and finally in the 1970s he was promoted to the President of Capitol Records.

The plug side of the single was titled Do the Walk [[the Temptation Walk), and it was a driving dancer written and sung by Bobby. Sonny Charles: “The Temptation Walk is based on the dance step made popular by the Temptations.” At least Jackie Lee and Entertainers IV have released similarly titled singles, but they are different songs. One, who actually covered this Bobby’s mover, was Harry James in his swinging style [[in 1966) and most probably the Lettermen performed it in their shows.

Bobby: “We had recorded Do the Walk ourselves in Vegas, and I think our recording was better than the recording released. It had a little more funk and drive to it.”

Best regards
    Heikki

Robb

I know the picture with the footsteps diagram printed below you are referring to.
    It must be in one of the Motown books I've read/own.
    It's not on any album cover that I have ever seen

And

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Robb

I know the picture with the footsteps diagram printed below you are referring to.
    It must be in one of the Motown books I've read/own.
    It's not on any album cover that I have ever seen
    I think you are correct. I believe it wasn't on an album but in one of the early Motown books. Perhaps Benjaminson's "Story of Motown."

I think this link shows the series of photos which the one I'm remembering came from. I couldn't paste it in, but here's the link.

Robb
    I'm amazed you didn't know Jackie Lee's disc.
    It was a BIG sound at the Twisted Wheel .
    For anybody else who doesn't know it, here it is below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetXaMTA2D4

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And
Views: 509
    WOW!!! That is about as unexpected as unexpected can get!!! The Temptations dancing with Molly Pican [[Queen of The Yiddish Theatre)!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Robb
    I'm amazed you didn't know Jackie Lee's disc.
    It was a BIG sound at the Twisted Wheel .
    For anybody else who doesn't know it, here it is below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetXaMTA2D4
Views: 525
    I have it now. Maybe I saw it back in 1965. Played a few bars, hated it, and so didn't buy it or listen more. I don't remember hearing it on radio in Chicago. But The Entertainers IV song was a big hit. And I LOVE THAT song.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think you are correct. I believe it wasn't on an album but in one of the early Motown books. Perhaps Benjaminson's "Story of Motown."

I think this link shows the series of photos which the one I'm remembering came from. I couldn't paste it in, but here's the link.

Views: 508
    Thanks! What I am really looking for is the shoe prints diagram that shows the sequence of step moves.

The photo is in Don Waller`s "The Story of Motown". I have seen the diagram of the steps but I can`t recall where.

I'm pretty sure it was featured in EBONY Magazine back in the day. My old memory came to that conclusion, I know it was a magazine article on the Tempts.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was featured in EBONY Magazine back in the day. My old memory came to that conclusion, I know it was a magazine article on the Tempts.
    Google books has Ebony archived. Do you happen to have a ballpark idea as to when the article might have been published?

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=PtMDAAAAMBAJ

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Google books has Ebony archived. Do you happen to have a ballpark idea as to when the article might have been published?

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=PtMDAAAAMBAJ
    **Nevermind, there is a search function.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    The photo is in Don Waller`s "The Story of Motown". I have seen the diagram of the steps but I can`t recall where.
    Well I was half right anyway! Hey Roger, how are you doing my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Well I was half right anyway! Hey Roger, how are you doing my friend!
    Hi Kenneth, I`m doing very well now thank you as I`ve just had a pacemaker installed and I`m ready to go! Hope things are well with you.
    Was that Temptation`s steps diagram included in the liner notes of the remastered version of "Meet The Temptations" - I had it but can`t find it now?

Otis in his recent interview on CBS stated that the Temptation Walk was first performed to the public at the Royal Peacock in Atlanta, GA. Interesting fact. I did not know where it was first performed.

I know it's not the photo Robb is looking for, but I recently acquired this one on Ebay. It turned out to be an original photo from the 1960's, I wasn't entirely sure when I bid on the lot of photos it was included in.
    Darin

Name:  Temptation Walk.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  90.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I know it's not the photo Robb is looking for, but I recently acquired this one on Ebay. It turned out to be an original photo from the 1960's, I wasn't entirely sure when I bid on the lot of photos it was included in.
    Darin

Name:  Temptation Walk.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  90.4 KB
Views: 335
    I think that IS the publicity photo that I remembered. I just think I also it paired together, on the same paper with a footprint diagram showing the different movements with steps [[shoeprint icons of pairs of feet and direction arrows) below this photo.