[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross - Turn Up The Sunshine

I love it! You go girl

Finally available for download as well! #stoked

Wow!

And what an honour for Diana to be closing Platinum Jubilee Cocert for Our Queen Elizabeth II.

Amazing song!! Her voice and Tame Impala's voice in the background, work well together.

It's a fun song and I do like the production.

What a great song. so happy and catchy. I love it.

Great fun song and exciting vocal. Purchased immediately. Positive reviews from Rolling Stone and Billboard too. Never thought I’d see the day when we would receive so much all new music from Diana again.

Glad to hear that she's already getting positive reviews, Deepdishus. I'll have to check those out. I also never imagined this day. I thought the chances of her putting out new music was so slim, with each passing year. It's wonderful that we got a great new album from her last year and now this single. It's exciting that she is going to have a higher profile this summer, between this new song, the Queen's Jubilee performance, Glastonbury and the UK/EU tour.

I love this song. Very well produced. Diana sounds great, and as I said earlier, her voice and Tame Impala's background vocals work well together. Love the strings and overall funkiness of the track. There's also some fun subtle ad-libs she does just before and after the 3:00 mark [ah's and uh's in the background]. You can also hear her let loose a bit in the background at 3:42 with "all around the world". So many cool hooks and bits in this song that make it so funky and interesting...it catches your ear. Excellent collaboration. Well done!

Yes, "Turn Up the Sunshine" is a Winner!
    Summer already feels good.
    Bravo to a fun track.

Is anyone else getting a Spice Girls/“Wannabe” vibe from the verses of this? #itsagoodthing
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-19-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Is anyone else getting a Spice Girls/“Wannabe” vibe from the verses of this? #itsagoodthing
    Interesting...I don't get Wannabe vibes at all, but that's not to say that what you're hearing isn't valid. We all pickup on different things. I'm getting more "Brick House" by the Commodores vibes.

In Toronto, we have a popular radio station called Indie 88 that exclusively plays 'independent' rock and pop music, which is geared toward the 'hipsters'. I never would have expected Diana to be turning their heads, but here we are...they published an article today about the collaboration with Tame Impala [link below].

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JY5gkIoysXHtRk
    Last edited by carlo; 05-19-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Great joyous song but it's hard to call it a Diana Ross song. She is less recognizable than in Muscles or Eaten Alive.

Anyway, I hope it's a hit

Sorry to be a party pooper, but i find it rather boring as in dullsville. I much prefer the uptempo numbers on “Thank You” such as “If The World Just Danced” and “Tomorrow”.
    The upside being, it’s getting plenty of media attention which is never a bad thing.
    Not a Ross classic methinks.

i love it but its not up on itunes yet.
    thought i could preorder.darn
    ill check in the morning

Stand corrected. Got it.yea

Had to type it in as it's under soundtracks

I was hoping to like this but I don't!

7" vinyl single of Turn Up the Sunshine, to be released July 1st.

https://shop.decca.com/*/*/Diana-Ros...ru/7EXD0000000
    Last edited by carlo; 05-19-2022 at 06:41 PM.

I had to listen to it twice [[well maybe 3 times) and I am hooked. Its just one of those feel good songs and GOD we need to feel good now. I take my hat off to Diana for doing this and I am sure she did it for the grandkids or her fans. Thank You !!

Fun track!!

It is light years better than that dreadful Thank You cd.

I wish the new song had a bit less of the repetitive chorus and more lyrical content. Otherwise, it is exceedingly fresh, vibrant, and exciting.

Radio 2 UK's most listened to Station

RECORD OF THE WEEK

Diana Ross Ft. Tame Impala - Turn Up The Sunshine

I wonder why this song didn't make the album. Perhaps they thought the song had a better chance of success as a movie tie-in...

This song is incredible just like the beautiful Thank You CD

i am thinking the forthcoming expanded edition of Thank You will have the dance mixs and the Sunshine Track

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i am thinking the forthcoming expanded edition of Thank You will have the dance mixs and the Sunshine Track
    Daviddh, where is the expanded edition mentioned please?

there is an expanded edition planned to coincide with her UK tour.

I really, really like this song. It has great possibility to catch on. Great job by Miss Ross! WTG!

Grammy Award for Diana Ross.⭐ This song is all joy. Bravo!

Is Diana's Turn Up the Sunshine better than Pharrell's "Happy" ? That's what this reviewer seems to be saying! [[you need to scroll way down to POP Five section)

https://www.stereogum.com/2187325/ha...e-week-in-pop/
    Last edited by mindful1; 05-24-2022 at 06:19 PM.

This a fun and enjoyable song, but I don’t love it as much as I do "Thank You" or even "If The World Just Danced". It’s definitely a ‘Tame Impala song’ with Diana's vocals on top [although some very excellent vocals].

When I first heard "Thank You", I was completely overcome with how awesome it was! Maybe that’s because it was Diana's first release in 15 years… but I just didn’t have the same reaction when I listened to this one.

Still, though, very enjoyable and I hope it does well.

the extended MHP Mix:

I’ve tried to like it, but still find it overly simplistic and lacking in melody. Hoping it might be added to her set list though as anything new has to be a bonus.

Question about the possible expanded version of the “Thank You” album. Most of her concerts will be in the month of June. She has a high profile concert at the beginning of the month, and the end of the month. It would be ideal to release it to coincide with the Jubilee at the beginning. If not for that, then definitely for the Glastonbury gig. I say all that to ask, is it even possible for her to release and expanded version of the album with “Turn up the Sunshine” before the official soundtrack album? The soundtrack drops at the beginning of July.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Question about the possible expanded version of the “Thank You” album. Most of her concerts will be in the month of June. She has a high profile concert at the beginning of the month, and the end of the month. It would be ideal to release it to coincide with the Jubilee at the beginning. If not for that, then definitely for the Glastonbury gig. I say all that to ask, is it even possible for her to release and expanded version of the album with “Turn up the Sunshine” before the official soundtrack album? The soundtrack drops at the beginning of July.
    I have no official news. But I would think the movie powers-that-be would want the recording to be featured on the soundtrack before it appears elsewhere.

it would make sense to me to release it just prior to the tour , but then again.
    i am not a record company. ive seen it the other way , where as the cd came out after the fact

#59 on UK Singles Sales Chart

On the whole there hasn't really been a great reaction to the song in the UK

No sign of it on the chart that matters, the UK Top 100 Singles chart. This is the one that feeds the Guinness Book of Hit Records.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    No sign of it on the chart that matters, the UK Top 100 Singles chart. This is the one that feeds the Guinness Book of Hit Records.
    If she is not doing TV and other media, then she is not interested in having a hit. All of us have to move our asses to be successful.

Expanded edition of Thank You? Did the album even sell enough to warrant an expanded edition? It didn’t even chart/barely charted. Plus she did nothing to promote it so I can’t see Universal jumping to add more copies into the market when places like Amazon were selling it at $8 to get rid of stock.

As for “Turn Up The Sunshine,” it does nothing for me. The rapping, the multi-layering of her vocals, and the high pitch voices do the song no favors. It’s not the hit people think it will be. A great example of a new/old artist combo is “Cold Heart” by Elton John and Dua Lipa which went on to become a top 10 hit. This is not in that category.

I have agree with your assessment brad, especially regarding "Cold Heart". That one is very well done, cleverly turning an old song [or 4 ] into a new hit.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Expanded edition of Thank You? Did the album even sell enough to warrant an expanded edition? It didn’t even chart/barely charted. Plus she did nothing to promote it so I can’t see Universal jumping to add more copies into the market when places like Amazon were selling it at $8 to get rid of stock.

As for “Turn Up The Sunshine,” it does nothing for me. The rapping, the multi-layering of her vocals, and the high pitch voices do the song no favors. It’s not the hit people think it will be. A great example of a new/old artist combo is “Cold Heart” by Elton John and Dua Lipa which went on to become a top 10 hit. This is not in that category.
    I agree on all points brad. Why would a label go to the bother of expanding an album that didn’t sell. It might be different if “Turn Up The Sunshine” went huge, but it appears that’s not going to happen. It’s frustrating she isn’t interested in even a modicum of promotion as it would make such a difference.
    The good news being it created a media buzz to remind peeps she will soon be touring. I just hope the concerts do well.

How about we wait and see???

No promotion?

So far Diana has planned a tour. Dropped a new single. Created social media buzz. She also has lined up 2 of the highest profile [[TELEVISED) gigs you can get.

Turn up the Sunshine listed #1 [[15 Favorite tracks this week) FLOOD FM , I think its San Francisco based

https://floodmagazine.com/109745/f-yeah-fridays-ep-29/

No promotion?

So far Diana has planned a tour. Dropped a new single. Created social media buzz. She also has lined up 2 of the highest profile [[TELEVISED) gigs you can get.
    But that’s after the album’s release and any promotion, which isn’t much, is to spark interest in her UK tour. Any interest in the album has faded. Strike while the iron is hot. I know Universal had a bunch of things planned and she wouldn’t go for any of it. Which leads back to the whole rumor of an expanded edition - why would Universal do one when she didn’t do anything they had planned for it’s initial release.

No promotion?

Good point. But if she doesn't perform the song at the Jubilee and/or at her Glastonbury slot then these may be blown opportunities to promote the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Good point. But if she doesn't perform the song at the Jubilee and/or at her Glastonbury slot then these may be blown opportunities to promote the song.
    I’m thinking it will be performed at Glastonbury, but not the Jubilee. The jubilee will be a medley of songs according to producer/arranger Troy Miller.

Expanded edition? Good Lord, there was zero interest in its first incarnation. One YouTube listen was enough for me.

I suspect the song will gain traction after the movie’s release in July.