[REMOVE ADS]

Berry Gordy's Spoken Intro On 1970 Vinyl Box Set THE MOTOWN STORY:

Reviewing the final issues of Billboard for 1971 and Motown is placing ads for the five LP box set for Christmas:

Discogs refers to its release as being 1970, so are these ads for it from its second year of availability?? Or did it really come out in 1971??

Also Berry Gordy does a voice intro beginning at 1:00 of Cut One. Interesting to hear his vocal from then:

if we'd gone any year without hit records......we went out of business!

Remarkable man and story.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-02-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Reviewing the final issues of Billboard for 1971 and Motown is placing ads for the five LP box set for Christmas:

Discogs refers to its release as being 1970, so are these ads for it from its second year of availability?? Or did it really come out in 1971??

Also Berry Gordy does a voice intro beginning at 1:00 of Cut One. Interesting to hear his vocal from then:

if we'd gone any year without hit records......we went out of business!

Remarkable man and story.
    If you listen closely, I think you can hear Diana Ross laugh in the background - yes right at the end
    Last edited by jobeterob; 12-02-2021 at 08:58 PM.

This original lp version featured the great Charlie Van Dyke as the narrator - he was replaced by Pat St. John on the cd version.

Wow, i have that one in a box in a closet,haven't played it in years.

I bought it new when it was released. I just checked the dates.

The record labels and the back of the box all indicate 1970 as the copyright date. The cardboard inner sleeves for each record indicate 1971! Never noticed that before.

The DFTMC website indicates release date as March 1971. I copied and pasted entries for WDOLG and Up The Ladder below:

Mar-71; LP [[S): Motown MS728 The Motown Story Volume 2 [with intro by Diana Ross]

Mar-71; LP [[S): Motown MS731 The Motown Story Volume 5 [with intro by Mary Wilson]
    Last edited by johnjeb; 12-02-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wow, i have that one in a box in a closet,haven't played it in years.
    Same here. I digitized it and restored it. Seems like it's time to listen to it again.

Had both sets, how special the original vinyl release will always be! so pleased that a friend went to The Motown Musical Premier, and met Berry, and he got Berry to sign a souvenir programme for me! Always wanted a copy of his book signed, but the price they go for! Blessed having a Brother 11 years older than me! and he was into Motown, so I heard it daily from being a baby! When I sold my vinyl collection, I had over 3,500 albums, never mind promo singles! poor Mum every cupboard in the house was full, the money got me to the USA with a friend for three weeks, my first visit!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    the money got me to the USA with a friend for three weeks, my first visit!
    I would hope you went to Hitsville USA on your visit with the money gleaned from your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If you listen closely, I think you can hear Diana Ross laugh in the background - yes right at the end
    Yes when he talks about his girlfriends

Bought the five-LP "The Motown Story" and "Touch" on vinyl on my first trip to Tower Records on the Sunset Strip in 1971. I was 13.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I would hope you went to Hitsville USA on your visit with the money gleaned from your collection.
    YES!! and Philly! it was simply amazing, we had Hotel coupons, so we could book as we drove starting from New York to Niagara, every Hotel we phoned, they loved the Englisj accent, and treated so well with upgrades! It goes without saying many visits since.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    ...they loved the English accent...
    ...they do indeed! On our trip to Detroit in 2006 everyone there thought Mrs Grape was British royalty ...she's posher than me ...I speaks dead common...!

Grape

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think you're right that is her. I wondered. Her laugh is one of little amusement ...

[is it fair to say Diana's love 'paid the bills']
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-06-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I think you're right that is her. I wondered. Her laugh is one of little amusement ...

[is it fair to say Diana's love 'paid the bills']
    Maybe!

Berry may have been at least two timing - he was a busy, important guy.

This box set was so exciting at the time. I loved hearing the artists giving an intro to the songs. I think I’ll play it soon. Haven’t listened to it in years.