[REMOVE ADS]

A "Coming Out" Story!

I thought I would share with you guys a story that might make you laugh. I know it still makes me chuckle!!

It was a cold February night in Bulgaria. I was on my first ever family skiing holiday. I went with my mum, dad and brother, and all my cousins, aunts and uncles were there too.

We went on a traditional "Bulgarian night" with our skiing instructor, who we had worked out by now was something of a ‘party animal’, to put it lightly. This night involved plenty of — and possibly too much — wine and "Rakia" [[a Balkan spirit that they must otherwise use to strip paint).

Needless to say, everyone quickly became pretty wasted.

Next stop: a karoake bar. And, my first time EVER in one.

First up: my mum and one of my cousins, with "Islands In The Stream". A credible effort, not that I can remember much of it.

"I could do this…" I thought. "Why not?"

"How bad could it be?!"

I go up to the DJ [[who was actually not Bulgarian, but English.) What do I ask for? Well, some Diana Ross, of course. "Upside Down", I say… "Have you got it?"

"No", he replies. "But… I have got "I'm Coming Out", if that’s any good?"

Now, I should say, by this point, I am absolutely splattered. I am definitely not thinking straight. Or at all for that matter.

"Uhhhhhh… ok then!", I manage to blurt out.

I walk away, soon realising what I've done.

"I'm going to accidentally come out to my ENTIRE family."

I look at my dad. He senses the distress in me. "I think I've just done something VERY bad", I say.

But, there's no time to back out now. I've committed.

Then, before I know it, I hear the DJ announce… "And next up, we've got someone COMING OUT!"

"Are you gay!?" he shouts, pointing the mic at me. I don’t know what to say. I stand there in disbelief: I didn’t know it was possible to accidentally out MYSELF.

He hands me the mic.

Now, this probably won't come as a surprise to you, but the singing that happens in karoake bars is often below average at the best of times.

This particular performance, however, was truly something else. Firstly, I can't sing. Secondly, I can't sing like DIANA freaking ROSS. Thirdly, I'M SINGING "I'M COMING OUT" TO THE ENTIRE OF MY MUMS EXTENDED FAMILY. And, to make it worse, I'm singing it incredibly badly.

But, I do it. Somehow, I manage to get through it.

I attempt to explain the accidental nature of the situation to those who are still capable of standing up and listening to complete sentences. My brother then threatens to beat up the DJ for me, an offer which, while appreciated, I kindly decline. After this, the DJ becomes very insistent on buying us all drinks. [[Every cloud! )

For a brief while afterwards, I was somewhat distressed about what happened. But my family are all pretty amazing and accepting, so everything worked out in the end.

And now I have come to appreciate this as possibly the best "Coming Out" story I will ever have the pleasure of experiencing!!

I hope you enjoyed it reading it too.

hee haw !!!
    hilarious!

thanks for sharing Tom !!

Thanks Boogie!!!

That's a great story - and I smiled all the way through - you had some courage to go up and sing, let alone "out" yourself with the help of the DJ.

Thank you for sharing, Tom. Your story is hilarious and yet very touching. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I thought I would share with you guys a story that might make you laugh. I know it still makes me chuckle!!

It was a cold February night in Bulgaria. I was on my first ever family skiing holiday. I went with my mum, dad and brother, and all my cousins, aunts and uncles were there too.

We went on a traditional "Bulgarian night" with our skiing instructor, who we had worked out by now was something of a ‘party animal’, to put it lightly. This night involved plenty of — and possibly too much — wine and "Rakia" [[a Balkan spirit that they must otherwise use to strip paint).

Needless to say, everyone quickly became pretty wasted.

Next stop: a karoake bar. And, my first time EVER in one.

First up: my mum and one of my cousins, with "Islands In The Stream". A credible effort, not that I can remember much of it.

"I could do this…" I thought. "Why not?"

"How bad could it be?!"

I go up to the DJ [[who was actually not Bulgarian, but English.) What do I ask for? Well, some Diana Ross, of course. "Upside Down", I say… "Have you got it?"

"No", he replies. "But… I have got "I'm Coming Out", if that’s any good?"

Now, I should say, by this point, I am absolutely splattered. I am definitely not thinking straight. Or at all for that matter.

"Uhhhhhh… ok then!", I manage to blurt out.

I walk away, soon realising what I've done.

"I'm going to accidentally come out to my ENTIRE family."

I look at my dad. He senses the distress in me. "I think I've just done something VERY bad", I say.

But, there's no time to back out now. I've committed.

Then, before I know it, I hear the DJ announce… "And next up, we've got someone COMING OUT!"

"Are you gay!?" he shouts, pointing the mic at me. I don’t know what to say. I stand there in disbelief: I didn’t know it was possible to accidentally out MYSELF.

He hands me the mic.

Now, this probably won't come as a surprise to you, but the singing that happens in karoake bars is often below average at the best of times.

This particular performance, however, was truly something else. Firstly, I can't sing. Secondly, I can't sing like DIANA freaking ROSS. Thirdly, I'M SINGING "I'M COMING OUT" TO THE ENTIRE OF MY MUMS EXTENDED FAMILY. And, to make it worse, I'm singing it incredibly badly.

But, I do it. Somehow, I manage to get through it.

I attempt to explain the accidental nature of the situation to those who are still capable of standing up and listening to complete sentences. My brother then threatens to beat up the DJ for me, an offer which, while appreciated, I kindly decline. After this, the DJ becomes very insistent on buying us all drinks. [[Every cloud! )

For a brief while afterwards, I was somewhat distressed about what happened. But my family are all pretty amazing and accepting, so everything worked out in the end.

And now I have come to appreciate this as possibly the best "Coming Out" story I will ever have the pleasure of experiencing!!

I hope you enjoyed it reading it too.
    Yes, Tom, a wonderful story and very well told! Shall we presume you are British of Bulgarian descent? I see a rom-com at work here and suggest you get to writing your screenplay!

Thanks gordyhunk and ss!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, Tom, a wonderful story and very well told! Shall we presume you are British of Bulgarian descent? I see a rom-com at work here and suggest you get to writing your screenplay!
    Ha! Maybe one day
    And, no, not of Bulgarian descent, I think we just went there because the holiday was quite cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ha! Maybe one day
    And, no, not of Bulgarian descent, I think we just went there because the holiday was quite cheap!
    A-HA!! So you descended into Bulgaria instead of being of Bulgarian descent. See your in-box.

Tom, what a great and powerful story of this experience! You related it with such perfect staging up to a brilliant climax, I'd swear I had just read an excerpt from an autobiography! In fact, I was SO engaged in what I was reading, it took me awhile to realize I was verbally reacting and at one point, laughing loudly! In the lobby of an office building!

I love that this had a happy ending with your family showing love and support- good for you! Good for us that you shared this. You should be a writer.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    A-HA!! So you descended into Bulgaria instead of being of Bulgarian descent. See your in-box.
    HA! Precisely!! And will do

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Tom, what a great and powerful story of this experience! You related it with such perfect staging up to a brilliant climax, I'd swear I had just read an excerpt from an autobiography! In fact, I was SO engaged in what I was reading, it took me awhile to realize I was verbally reacting and at one point, laughing loudly! In the lobby of an office building!

I love that this had a happy ending with your family showing love and support- good for you! Good for us that you shared this. You should be a writer.
    Ahh hey thanks WaitingWatching!! I'm just glad to hear you enjoyed it

And I’ve been telling the story for about 18 months now, so I should be half decent at it by this point

Cute story, Tom! Thanks for sharing Congrats on coming out...I am glad to hear that everything worked out in the end with your family.

next time request- MUSCLES

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Cute story, Tom! Thanks for sharing Congrats on coming out...I am glad to hear that everything worked out in the end with your family.
    Thanks carlo and, well, me too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    next time request- MUSCLES
    HA! I’ve not done karaoke since and I’m a bit afraid to!!

Just to let you know, Tom. We all support you, and don't care about the gay thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post

Just to let you know, Tom. We all support you, and don't care about the gay thing.
    You sound like one of my uncles!