[REMOVE ADS]

WalMart TV Ad featuring You're All I Need to Get By

I have heard the WalMart TV commercial numerous times with You're All I Need To Get By as the background music. It was sung by a female and I
    managed to learn via Google that it was Aretha Franklin. Unfortunately, I
    am not too versatile on Aretha's singing as I am other Motown artists, but
    I really wish that they would have used Marvin and Tammys version as it
    is superior to the one I heard on the TV advertisement.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

Some of the ads feature Aretha singing; others use session singers with her arrangement.

Good ad...When I first heard it and knew it sounded familiar through the first few bars, I couldn't help but notice the familiarity of the line that actually coincided with Jamerson's bassline [[I believe doubled with Joe Messina's guitar line) on the Marvin/Tammi version...Then it became obvious what the tune was... Good commercial that caught my attention, which is the entire purpose of advertising...

I really like that the people behind these ads aren't going with the expected artist on certain songs. There was an ad a while back that had Stevie Wonder singing MY GIRL instead of the Tempts. To me, it shows some imagination.

Re this song, I love both Marvin/Tammi and Aretha's versions. But I probably like Aretha's a bit more. I see this ad many times during the day. Because of its popularity, I have heard Aretha's recording has charted on ITunes.
    Last edited by reese; 12-05-2020 at 06:07 PM.

When I first heard this commercial, it made me want to hear it in its entirety. Since I have a pretty good collection of Aretha’s albums, I was surprised to learn that other than her Live At The Fillmore West recordings, the song only appears on compilation albums. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    When I first heard this commercial, it made me want to hear it in its entirety. Since I have a pretty good collection of Aretha’s albums, I was surprised to learn that other than her Live At The Fillmore West recordings, the song only appears on compilation albums. Am I correct?
    That's true. It first appeared, along with BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER and SPANISH HARLEM, on the 1971 collection ARETHA'S GREATEST HITS. None of them ever appeared on a studio album.

Also, the 45 version of YAINTGB has a slightly different ending than the album version.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That's true. It first appeared, along with BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER and SPANISH HARLEM, on the 1971 collection ARETHA'S GREATEST HITS. None of them ever appeared on a studio album.

Also, the 45 version of YAINTGB has a slightly different ending than the album version.
    Thank you because when I first started looking I couldn’t find it on any studio album. There are also two alternate takes on her Rare & Unreleased cd. although the original by Marvin and Tammi is one of my all time favorite songs ever, I’ve actually started liking Aretha’s all over again since they’ve been playing the commercial.

I have tried not to be overly critical, but the strings get lost in the mix along with clarity of the vocals. Please let perfection reign. Too much license was taken with the "enhancements". They kindly left Sam & Daves'Hold On, I'm Coming alone. I haven't listened to Otis Redding's Too Hard to Handleenough to detect any differences. Walmart seems to be on a Southern Soul kick to sell its wares. Bless them Father, for they have sinned.

Still the best version... This extend-o is cool... https://youtu.be/Dza91W2DLWE

I always considered Marvin and Tammi's original to be among the best of their hit singles. Aretha did an OK version of it, but I don't think M and T could be beat on that particular song.