[REMOVE ADS]

Maxine Powell. On Tammii Terrell

Was doing a little online research on my girl Tammi and found an article on Maxine Powell. In the article she stated that Tammi lived in a "fantasy" world. I take that to mean that maybe Mrs Powell thought maybe that Tammi's goals & dreams were fantasy's? She didn't elaborate...I don't know how to cut & paste the article here
    Last edited by TammiTerrellFan; 10-28-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Is it this article? You can just copy and paste a link like this rather than the entire article:

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/s...nt?oid=2177134

“Marvin Gaye had two personalities in one body,” continues the spirited septuagenarian. “A lot of people are that way. Tammi Terrell lived in a fantasy world. The Temptations didn’t have the confidence they should have had at the Copacabana. I was helping them go onstage because it was a different audience.”

It's an old article [[from 2003), Ms Powell passed away in 2013 at the age of 98.
    Last edited by calvin; 10-28-2020 at 01:48 PM.

[QUOTE=calvin;595519]Is it this article? You can just copy and paste a link like this rather than the entire article:

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/s...nt?oid=2177134

“Marvin Gaye had two personalities in one body,” continues the spirited septuagenarian. “A lot of people are that way. Tammi Terrell lived in a fantasy world. The Temptations didn’t have the confidence they should have had at the Copacabana. I was helping them go onstage because it was a different audience.”

It's an old article [[from 2003), Ms Powell passed away in 2013 at the age of 98.

Thanks Calvin, That's the article. I just thought it was cool and I haven't seen it discussed here at all.
    Last edited by TammiTerrellFan; 10-28-2020 at 04:51 PM.

I watched the Tammi episode of 'Unsung' quite a many year ago, but I seem to recall that perhaps childhood trauma left Tammi a bit dissociative, which is not uncommon to those who experienced childhood trauma. BUT!! Don't take this as gospel - it's what I think I can recall. Certainly Tammi's performances don't show anything but an extremely talented and beautiful performer utterly 'in the moment'! Best to you - [[ps: I do hope that SOMEONE somewhere has some of Tammi's gorgeous stage clothes!)

Maxine Powell was never one to shy away from making blunt and controversial comments

How much was Mrs. P around by the time Tammi got to Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Maxine Powell was never one to shy away from making blunt and controversial comments
    True, and I must add that I always Ms. Powell was just being honest and not making such comments to be mean-spirited. Hence, I think what she said can be taken as truth.

I love Tamm’s vocals on the duets. But, she seemed quite rough around the edges. Did Ms Powell feel defeated?

"Tammi Terrell lived in a fantasy world." That's all Mrs Powell said in this article, without elaboration, without context. We can only speculate on what she might have meant unless she made other comments elsewhere.

When I hear "living in a fantasy world", it makes me think of someone who doesn't see the [[often ugly) reality of how things are, seeing what they want to see instead. I first thought of her relationship with David Ruffin.
    Last edited by calvin; 10-29-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    "Tammi Terrell lived in a fantasy world." That's all Mrs Powell said in this article, without elaboration, without context. We can only speculate on what she might have meant unless she made other comments elsewhere.

When I hear "living in a fantasy world", it makes me think of someone who doesn't see the [[often ugly) reality of how things are, seeing what they want to see instead. I first thought of her relationship with David Ruffin.
    Calvin, you may be right about this. I thank you for your input. It's great to see other's thoughts on our Motown Legends.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I watched the Tammi episode of 'Unsung' quite a many year ago, but I seem to recall that perhaps childhood trauma left Tammi a bit dissociative, which is not uncommon to those who experienced childhood trauma. BUT!! Don't take this as gospel - it's what I think I can recall. Certainly Tammi's performances don't show anything but an extremely talented and beautiful performer utterly 'in the moment'! Best to you - [[ps: I do hope that SOMEONE somewhere has some of Tammi's gorgeous stage clothes!)
    PeaceNHarmony, in Ludie & Vickie's book on Tammi, it was stated that Tammi's family never was able to go to Detroit to get Tammi's belongings during her illness and after her death. Someone has some of them stashed somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TammiTerrellFan View Post
    PeaceNHarmony, in Ludie & Vickie's book on Tammi, it was stated that Tammi's family never was able to go to Detroit to get Tammi's belongings during her illness and after her death. Someone has some of them stashed somewhere.
    Interesting, TTF. Sad, but we'll hope that someone worthy has Ms.T's belongings in store. PS: Wouldn't it have been great to see Tammi have been able to create gorgeous, jazz-styled albums?

Interesting, TTF. Sad, but we'll hope that someone worthy has Ms.T's belongings in store. PS: Wouldn't it have been great to see Tammi have been able to create gorgeous, jazz-styled albums?
    PeaceNHarmony, I sure wish we had more years of Tammi being around but am glad we have of her what we do have, but who knows what may turn up in the future.

PeaceNHarmony, I sure wish we had more years of Tammi being around but am glad we have of her what we do have, but who knows what may turn up in the future.
    Indeed! Are you aware that Tammi was featured a bit in the Temptations Broadway musical 'Ain't Too Proud'? She has a scene with Ruffin outside the Fox Theatre where [[according to the musical; don't know if this is true) Tammi has a sold-out concert. There's a nice poster onstage telling the audience this -

Indeed! Are you aware that Tammi was featured a bit in the Temptations Broadway musical 'Ain't Too Proud'? She has a scene with Ruffin outside the Fox Theatre where [[according to the musical; don't know if this is true) Tammi has a sold-out concert. There's a nice poster onstage telling the audience this -
    PeaceNHarmony I had no idea about this as I am house bound, I am not able to go to too many places, it would be nice to see a Marvin movie bio featuring Tammi, kinda like Coal Miner's Daughter featured Patsy Cline, Thanks for sharing the info.

PeaceNHarmony I bought The Temptations movie on DVD because of the little bit they had in there about Tammi but ended up enjoying the movie. A lot of tragedies in that group.

PeaceNHarmony I had no idea about this as I am house bound, I am not able to go to too many places, it would be nice to see a Marvin movie bio featuring Tammi, kinda like Coal Miner's Daughter featured Patsy Cline, Thanks for sharing the info.
    Thanks for mention of Coal Miner's Daughter. I'll have to check that out as Patsy is my girl when it comes to country music.