[REMOVE ADS]

Celebrate Motown 60! "Jimmy Ruffin It's Wonderful [[To Be Loved By You)"

This is a "wonderful" recording by Jimmy from January 1968:

Absolutely the best...a very big hit here in the U.K in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Absolutely the best...a very big hit here in the U.K in 1970.
    I like it a lot too. Unfortunately it did not get the same attention here in the States.

Thank you Marv, one of Jimmy`s best from "Ruff N` Ready" a favourite of mine.Hope you are well and did you like the discs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thank you Marv, one of Jimmy`s best from "Ruff N` Ready" a favourite of mine.Hope you are well and did you like the discs ?
    You are most welcome Roger. I LOVE the discs! I have shared them with family and friends during the Labor Day holiday. Thank you for being a friend......a GOOD friend!

Marv, the pleasure is all mine!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like it a lot too. Unfortunately it did not get the same attention here in the States.
    Well Marv, I was so high on this tune that in the 80's I had hatched a plan to take the Ruff 'N' Ready album down to our local radio station and ask them in person to play the "Wonderful" track. I was a very idealistic, teen-age Motown fanatic and I just KNEW if I made a good enough pitch, I could persuade someone to give the tune a spin on the station. Pity that I didn't carry through with that emotionally-charged idea!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Well Marv, I was so high on this tune that in the 80's I had hatched a plan to take the Ruff 'N' Ready album down to our local radio station and ask them in person to play the "Wonderful" track. I was a very idealistic, teen-age Motown fanatic and I just KNEW if I made a good enough pitch, I could persuade someone to give the tune a spin on the station. Pity that I didn't carry through with that emotionally-charged idea!
    Oh that is great. I think like that too sometime. It is a really good record.

Oh that is great. I think like that too sometime. It is a really good record.
    For the life of me, I can't understand why Motown seemed intent on holding back on those Dean/Weatherspoon numbers. For me, they had a very definite signature style every bit as commercial as H-D-H. They really knew how to work those choruses overtime!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    For the life of me, I can't understand why Motown seemed intent on holding back on those Dean/Weatherspoon numbers. For me, they had a very definite signature style every bit as commercial as H-D-H. They really knew how to work those choruses overtime!
    I've always said that Motown was an embarrassment of riches. They had so, so many talented people there in a variety of areas that it must have been difficult at times to decide who and what to support and promote. Dean & Weatherspoon wrote some superb songs. So did Frank Wilson, Sylvia Moy, Clarence Paul ,etc.etc. When HDH got hot, it took a good long while for them to cool down if they ever did while at Motown. A larger company could have handled all of that magnificence.

I've always said that Motown was an embarrassment of riches. They had so, so many talented people there in a variety of areas that it must have been difficult at times to decide who and what to support and promote. Dean & Weatherspoon wrote some superb songs. So did Frank Wilson, Sylvia Moy, Clarence Paul ,etc.etc. When HDH got hot, it took a good long while for them to cool down if they ever did while at Motown. A larger company could have handled all of that magnificence.
    It is pretty staggering, not just the number of writers/producers Motown had, but also that there was hardly a dud in the lot. If I live to be 100 years old, I'll never completely fathom Motown had so much going on in a row of little houses in Detroit; and they their thing better than everyone else.