[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye & the Pips

Out of synch at times. but cleverly done

Very cleverly done. I like it. And it solves a dilemma for me. I love the Pips but like the arrangement of Marvin's version of Grapevine more. Now, I can hear the best of both.

Now can someone add Glady's and the Pips to the arrangement of Marvin's rendition?

Funky Fresh has other Motown classics re-imagined on YouTube

Here’s another Marvin Gaye/Pips pairing which is very much in sync, even though the Pips are slowed down a little:

https://youtu.be/3VxqamauzIQ
    Last edited by mowest; 06-14-2019 at 12:08 AM.

What makes this interesting to me is that Marvin Gaye was notoriously known for not being able to dance, while the Pips were some of the greatest dancers that were ever on Motown! LOL!

I loved Marvin's version, but I loved Gladys Knight & the Pips version more.

Last edited by marv2; 06-13-2019 at 08:36 PM.

And here is Bubba singing the Marvin Gaye version, while Gladys sings the Gladys Knight and the Pips version. Bubba has so much energy. My favorite Pip.

Of course you could always listen to them all together on Marvin's You, Gladys and the boys providing back-up

The mash up with Marvin and The Marvelettes has got to be the best i have ever heard..whoever did that created a masterpiece..all the ones above are a train wreck.

I don't think this works at all; it makes Marvin sound like he's singing flat.

I never liked the fact that Motown released Marvin Gaye's version so close behind Gladys Knight and the Pips version.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never liked the fact that Motown released Marvin Gaye's version so close behind Gladys Knight and the Pips version.
    Right-o, Marv! The Guardian addressed "the Empress of Soul's Manchester concert in Leeds. She commented on that very controversy. Gladys said, between her set, Marvin was an amazing man...he stole Grapevine a year after me in '68." According to the Guardian, it was just playful "banter." Hmm. She's 75! I'm not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Right-o, Marv! The Guardian addressed "the Empress of Soul's Manchester concert in Leeds. She commented on that very controversy. Gladys said, between her set, Marvin was an amazing man...he stole Grapevine a year after me in '68." According to the Guardian, it was just playful "banter." Hmm. She's 75! I'm not convinced.
    I always heard that Marvin actually recorded the song first. Is that true?

Marvin Gaye's version did predate Gladys Knight's even though it wasn't released as a single until later. However the first completed version was by the Miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I always heard that Marvin actually recorded the song first. Is that true?
    Yeah Marvin recorded his in April 1967. Gladys and them recorded it that summer.

I never understood that "Marvin can't dance" stuff because I remember him getting down on "Hitch Hike" and those early shows maybe he didn't like to dance but he could get down. I always liked[[loved) Gladys & the Pips version of Grapevine the BEST.

The Miracles' first version of Grapevine was completed in August 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The Miracles' first version of Grapevine was completed in August 1966.
    I
    know I have that album, but I don't remember ever listening to their version.

The Miracles' second version on the "Special Occasion" album wasn't completed until May, 1968.

I hated the Miracles version.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I hated the Miracles version.
    Both the 66 and the 68 versions?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Both the 66 and the 68 versions?
    The '66 one. The '68 one was good. Not great but it was good.