[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Marvelettes [[aka Wanda Rogers) - After All

Her finest performance, I should say. I still prefer this over every other version!

I've always wondered..who are those other[marvelettes-wink-wink]on the cover??

Somebody said that were the girls of Undispituted Truth, but i don´t know it exactly, maybe someone confirm.

Fantastic version!!!!

And the girls on the cover are indeed supposed to be Bille Calvin and Brenda Evans of The Undisputed Truth!

That has been a rumor for quite a while, but in the liner notes for the Marvelettes deliver the singles box set, Smokey said he didn’t know who the girls were. Of course Smokey would’ve known them if they were from undisputed truth, but I’m not sure Smokey would’ve admitted it was them perhaps, feeling it would be embarrassing to them or to Motown possibly. So I’m not sure we will ever really know.

Interesting kenneth. I guess if the photography for the album was done without Smokey's direct involvement [[although is that unlikely?) it could still be the UT girls and he may not have known it was them. Or are you saying he was there and didn't recognise who the girls actually were?

Remember, guys, this album was supposed to be a Wanda Rogers solo project but since she was reportedly unstable [[didn't it come out later that she was schizophrenic or bipolar or something like that?) and dealing with alcoholism and substance issues [[I don't know if it was pills or cocaine or heroin or all three?), they had to quickly make it a Marvelettes comeback album [[the group that was the Marvelettes had already split up by then) so Motown probably rushed this. The long standing rumor is that Mary Wilson was ONE of the women [[probably the one on the right) to be featured on the cover but the other woman COULD be a member of the Undisputed Truth. Since the Marvelettes split up, the faces of the two women were more obscured than Wanda's.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Remember, guys, this album was supposed to be a Wanda Rogers solo project but since she was reportedly unstable [[didn't it come out later that she was schizophrenic or bipolar or something like that?) and dealing with alcoholism and substance issues [[I don't know if it was pills or cocaine or heroin or all three?), they had to quickly make it a Marvelettes comeback album [[the group that was the Marvelettes had already split up by then) so Motown probably rushed this. The long standing rumor is that Mary Wilson was ONE of the women [[probably the one on the right) to be featured on the cover but the other woman COULD be a member of the Undisputed Truth. Since the Marvelettes split up, the faces of the two women were more obscured than Wanda's.
    Nah, that was not it. Wanda and her sister were coming out of store in Detroit and this guy comes up and shoots Wanda's sister in the head, killing her. It's been said that her sister was wearing one of Wanda's wigs at the time.....

Wanda had a nervous breakdown after that.

Wanda Young’s version of “After All” is exquisite! I think it should have been the A-side. Don’t get me wrong, “Marionette” was/is a good song, but not Top 40 good! I wonder what would have happened if the single or the album had hit! Would Billie Rae & Brenda have gone on to become official Marvelettes?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nah, that was not it. Wanda and her sister were coming out of store in Detroit and this guy comes up and shoots Wanda's sister in the head, killing her. It's been said that her sister was wearing one of Wanda's wigs at the time.....

I thought Wanda was on the road with the Marvelettes when her sister was murdered! I read that her brother was also a victim of a shooting. [[ He survived but suffered severe brain damage)

WTH!?!?! Now I didn't know all of that!!! When was this? '65? '66? Why didn't they mention this on Unsung? I may need to read the Marvelettes' book.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    Somebody said that were the girls of Undispituted Truth, but i don´t know it exactly, maybe someone confirm.
    On Facebook, Brenda Evans confirmed that she and Billie Calvin were the other two ladies on the album cover.

"Yes Billie and I thought we were scheduled to do session background work that day. We didn't have a clue what was happening. We wasn't told anything about the Marvelettes. We were put on two fake horses incognito. Motown at that time didn't tell us what was going on. I had forgot we did that Photo for a couple of decades."

Well if he was the producer of the album he would have to know what the final art looked like and I would think he’d be somewhat involved with it, though of course at Motown you can’t be sure how strict they were about such things. But all I remember from the notes is that he said he didn’t know who the girls were when someone asked him if they were the two ladies from undisputed truth.

I wish there was a way to use the images from the album cover to try to enhance what they would look like without all the airbrushing. It might solve the mystery!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Well if he was the producer of the album he would have to know what the final art looked like and I would think he’d be somewhat involved with it, though of course at Motown you can’t be sure how strict they were about such things. But all I remember from the notes is that he said he didn’t know who the girls were when someone asked him if they were the two ladies from undisputed truth.

I wish there was a way to use the images from the album cover to try to enhance what they would look like without all the airbrushing. It might solve the mystery!
    I could swear that someone once posted a untouched version of the cover photo in which the faces could be seen better but I can't remember where or when.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    On Facebook, Brenda Evans confirmed that she and Billie Calvin were the other two ladies on the album cover.

"Yes Billie and I thought we were scheduled to do session background work that day. We didn't have a clue what was happening. We wasn't told anything about the Marvelettes. We were put on two fake horses incognito. Motown at that time didn't tell us what was going on. I had forgot we did that Photo for a couple of decades."
    Interesting. Thanks!

nah, that was not it. Wanda and her sister were coming out of store in detroit and this guy comes up and shoots wanda's sister in the head, killing her. It's been said that her sister was wearing one of wanda's wigs at the time.....

i read that the guy mistook wanda's sister for his ex wife.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    i read that the guy mistook wanda's sister for his ex wife.
    That sounds like it. It was a bad situation all the way around.

I am inclined [[strongly ) to believe this. Makes sense to me.

Fake horses as well? Blimey. Well if she said it, that must be theundisputed truth.

Lol I didn't know the horses were fake.

Lol I didn't know the horses were fake.
    They can do wonders with photoshop, I guess. But it makes sense. When I read that Wanda was pregnant during the photo session, I couldn't imagine what idiot would have her climb up on a horse. Now knowing that they were fake eases my mind.

Everything's fake. In fact I didn't even post this reply.

Mystery solved, I guess! Can't believe the horses were fake...they sure look real on the album. Thanks Reese.

Mystery solved, I guess! Can't believe the horses were fake...they sure look real on the album. Thanks Reese.
    Those horses looked real to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Fake horses as well? Blimey. Well if she said it, that must be theundisputed truth.
    Or, in this day and age, FAKE NEWS

IMO, it was a good call to use fake horses. Even without Wanda being pregnant, the maintenance involved with live animals can be an extreme hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    everything's fake. In fact i didn't even post this reply.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..144 you're still crazy!!!

Oh boy,it's on now...the horses amalcamated union lawyers[oats,hay&barley esq.]wants to know why they were[stiffed]with fake horses!!!

Oh boy,it's on now...the horses amalcamated union lawyers[oats,hay&barley esq.]wants to know why they were[stiffed]with fake horses!!!
    That case has a lot riding on it.

Fake..that explains why they weren't smiling..the horses!!

Wanda is holding the infant on the cover of "The Season for Miracles," which I think came out not long after "Return of the Marvelettes," but who notices the baby when Wanda is absolutely gorgeous in a revealing negligee and a tiara! What a beauty she was.

So, for a group that didn't really exist any longer they go to the time and expense of this photo shoot of fake horses and fake Marvelettes for an album cover. Whereas for the legendary Supremes paired with a legendary producer they chose a pic of a dandelion for an album cover!

I'm assuming the Andante's were doing the backgrounds on this LP?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    So, for a group that didn't really exist any longer they go to the time and expense of this photo shoot of fake horses and fake Marvelettes for an album cover. Whereas for the legendary Supremes paired with a legendary producer they chose a pic of a dandelion for an album cover!
    And a dandelion gone to seed....at that.
    Last edited by lakeside; 06-09-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    And a dandelion gone to seed....that that.
    Ha!...Maybe that was the subliminal message Motown was sending to the group and the fans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I'm assuming the Andante's were doing the backgrounds on this LP?
    Yes, that's correct. Katherine and Ann do appear on one track, I believe, "Uptown," which also appeared in a slightly different mix on the last true Marvelettes LP "In Full Bloom." "That's How Heartaches Are Made" also appears on both albums, but I believe it's only the Andantes on backing vocals on that one.

I had never thought about that... that IS interesting. The group Motown didn't seem to care did get some good album art and "Return" was a good cover...

You talking about the Jimmy Webb album?

in all the years I NEVER heard those were fake horses. I understood the pix were taken at a stable on Belle Isle in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    in all the years I NEVER heard those were fake horses. I understood the pix were taken at a stable on Belle Isle in Detroit.
    Now this just adds more confusion. Were the horses real or not?!

now this just adds more confusion. were the horses real or not?! :d
    if any of those fake horses are reading this,please chime in!!

wanda is holding the infant on the cover of "the season for miracles," which i think came out not long after "return of the marvelettes," but who notices the baby when wanda is absolutely gorgeous in a revealing negligee and a tiara! What a beauty she was.
    they should've put the tiara on the baby and the negligee on the fake horse and nobody would've noticed wanda!!

they should've put the tiara on the baby and the negligee on the fake horse and nobody would've noticed wanda!!
    LOL! This thread is a riot.

It was just reported that the fake horses won't sue... If motown let's them record a song called-when the fakes get caught up in the game!!

I guess that huge crap Wanda's horse took is fake too?

This just in...the horses are getting back together for the Return of the Marvelettes Horses tour! [[ROTMH for short.) But of course there's drama. One of the horses wanted more money so the other two horses were like "neh#!&*%neh" and replaced the horse with the bird from the cover of the Supremes I Hear a Symphony album. Looks like we're in for a good ole fashion Motown fight!!

sorry, those horses are dead & gone along time ago.

I think the fake ones are still alive.

if any of those fake horses are reading this,please chime in!!
    I thought that the elephant on the cover of Chris Clark's "CC Rides Again" album was fake until it turned up at one of the SDF parties you held when Ralph was out of town.

Well, whoever was behind this imbroglio [[confusion; embarrassment; complication), they know who they are [[or were)!! As the vinyl buying public, we're the "Hunter Captured By the Prey!" I know droll. [[dry, unusual amusement) But it sounded funny when it popped into my head!! Sorry, Dr. Reeves.