[REMOVE ADS]

I Don't Want To Do Wrong - Ending?

Per this live version of the song [[with the studio instrumental / backgrounds) - it's pretty clear that there's a hard ending to the song. For whatever reason, a fade out was chosen instead.

Hopefully one day we can hear the studio version with the full ending?

Great find; love that song! It would be great if someone would create expanded versions of GK&TP lps!

motown01, I don't know, but this is a great performance. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Per this live version of the song [[with the studio instrumental / backgrounds) - it's pretty clear that there's a hard ending to the song. For whatever reason, a fade out was chosen instead.

Hopefully one day we can hear the studio version with the full ending?

This clip is taken from ROLLING ON THE RIVER, hosted by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.

Re a natural studio ending, that's an interesting thought. There might very well be a version like that in the vaults. Or it could be something that was done for this show, similar to when the Supremes' lipsynced UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF on Ed Sullivan but instead of the song fading out, they tacked on a natural ending.

I don't know if they ever recorded a version with that ending. I think they improvised that ending because the song originally had a fade out.

The stereo promo version on The Complete Motown Singles vol.11A contains the full ending

Quote Originally Posted by mjdestiny View Post
    The stereo promo version on The Complete Motown Singles vol.11A contains the full ending
    I would like to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I would like to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Thank you very much Lockhartgary !

Quote Originally Posted by mjdestiny View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. I have to admit that it when it comes to alternate versions, I tend to skip over them unless a difference is pointed out.
    Last edited by reese; 02-17-2019 at 12:19 AM.

I guess I've always been under the mistaken assumption that most songs, when recorded, have a hard ending and the fade is done in the control booth. Thoughts?

^I've always assumed that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I guess I've always been under the mistaken assumption that most songs, when recorded, have a hard ending and the fade is done in the control booth. Thoughts?
    I don't know if that assumption is true, and this article also won't give you an answer; but it is an interesting article on why some songs fade out and others come to a hard end.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...thers-end-cold

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you very much Lockhartgary !
    You are welcome!

Wow, I never knew this was released. Thanks mjdestiny / Lockheartgary - I'd skipped over this one too. I like the louder piano in this mix too.

Always liked this song from summer 1971. A great follow up to "If I Were Your Woman". It didn't do too bad at #17 Hot 100 and #2 Soul Chart. I like this ending also.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Wow, I never knew this was released. Thanks mjdestiny / Lockheartgary - I'd skipped over this one too. I like the louder piano in this mix too.
    You're welcome!

thank you thank you for bringing this song forward! It's been decades since I've listened to it.

Just a wonderful record, I think Motown did Gladys pretty good at times [[who else at Motown should've/could've done this song???). The cold ending is interesting to hear and suggests that a conscious decision was being made over which way to close this record out.
    I'm going to go with the fade in this case instead of the cold ending because I think it emphasizes the ongoing lack of resolve to this crossroad Gladys is debating in her mind .

with fade:
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-20-2019 at 02:35 AM.