[REMOVE ADS]

The demolition begin on Detroits Brewster-Douglas homes.

I thought I read the part of Brewster Douglass where the Supremes allegedly lived had long been demolished. My mother read this article and said she remembers seeing the high rise parts of Brewster Douglass from the expressway [the John Lodge?], but aside from the Supremes, she never encountered anyone else who lived there. My dad says he once told his father that he wanted to go there and look around but my grandfather asked him if he was crazy? It had a reputation even then and people were trying to get out, not get in. More trivia, was the cover for Love Child photographed there as some believe?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-04-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I thought I read the part of Brewster Douglass where the Supremes allegedly lived had long been demolished. My mother read this article and said she remembers seeing the high rise parts of Brewster Douglas from the expressway [the John Lodge?]
    , but aside from the Supremes, she never encountered anyone else who lived there.
    I think Lily Tomlin and Joe Louis live there as well Kamasu.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Historic significance notwithstanding, I'm glad to see it go. The Brewster Projects was a very dangerous place in its later years. It was far beyond any re-hab efforts, and should have been demolished years ago.

BTW Kamasu...the projects your mom remembers seeing from the Lodge Expy. were the Jeffries Projects. They were torn down to make way for new low income townhouses several years ago, the streets are named after Motown personalities. The Brewsters were visible from the Chrysler Expy [[I-75).

Gary ,it was the Chrysler Expressway that she saw the Brewsters. I put John Lodge with a question mark 'cause I forgot what she told me. John Lodge is the only expressway in Detroit that I could recall.Ironic, the government no longer builds projects but low income housing that eventually become the Projects.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-04-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Hi Kamasu; I believe that two of the Supremes lived in the "row" houses that were the Douglass of Brewster-Douglass and most of those row houses were torn down a couple of years ago. The high rises were the Brewster of Brewster-Douglass and are still up, along with the mid-level townhouses; both will be torn down. There were a lot of other stars that grew up there; Joe Louis trained at the Brewster-Wheeler recreation center.