[REMOVE ADS]

Now the FLOS are at it again

I guess there are no regulations in UK about truth in advertising. http://www.farlingaye.suffolk.sch.uk...cert--4th-Dec/

You need to read carefully..............and you will see the "truth" part............

Motown Legends Formerly of

THE SUPREMES

I see someone else has raised Karen Raagland today; it is amazing how, if you really work at it, you can make a career out of very little. The FLOS were together far longer than the two groups of Supremes; like three times as long. You just need to have some business sense and not overspend.

On the other hand, not sure how much anyone wants to appear at Farlingaye High School!

P.S. There is nothing wrong with this Ad in the United States either........nothing legally wrong anyway.

The Poster reads Motown Legends Formerly of the Supremes and shows Scherrie Payne in her Supreme years I can't see a problem with that, it's not as though they are calling themselves the Supremes and showing a photo of Miss Ross.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I guess there are no regulations in UK about truth in advertising. http://www.farlingaye.suffolk.sch.uk...cert--4th-Dec/
    Who cares at this point!!!!!

People stick up posters and call themselves Supremes all the time here in New Zealand..and none of them have ever even stood near Mary Wilson let alone share a stage with her..If you havent worked with Mary you aint a Supreme...

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    People stick up posters and call themselves Supremes all the time here in New Zealand..and none of them have ever even stood near Mary Wilson let alone share a stage with her..If you havent worked with Mary you aint a Supreme...
    And in the case of Kaaren Ragland, if you work with Mary, she'll bill you as a Supreme.

Scherrie and Lynda can called themselves Supremes as long as they want as far as I am concerned. The Flos have been out there keeping the dream alive for so long now.

Now how are those Vandellas with Martha ?

For some of the uptight types, I suspect if Diana Ross had come out of that group, it would have to be Diana Ross and the Former Ladies of the Vandellas. But if it's Martha, who gives a poo poo?

Jonc is right that this is another dead as a doornail issue ~ somebody is playing at a frickin High School somewhere in Great Britain! What's the price? $5 to get in; a gross of $2800 split 18 ways? Are we worried about Mary's breaking heart again? Well, Mary isn't!

I don't think that Scherrie, Lynda and Joyce have had any input into the advertising for this concert, or indeed any other concert. This is down to either the venue or the promoter. Although here in the UL Scherrie and Lynda do have the legal right to bill themselves simply as THE SUPREMES, although they choose not to.

Update

I have received an update from the school via the promoters. I have copied the relevant section from the email to me:

I am sorry that you feel that the marketing passed out is misrepresentative. However, our company is flying in for this event, 'Formally of The Supremes' which includes Scherrie Payne and Lynda Lawrence, who will be performing live at the event on the 4th December 2010. The promotion of our materials, has been checked and agreed with Motown Records themselves, and I can only but assure of the fact that the Ladies Formally of the Supremes will be performing at this event.

Think that this is rather useful.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    I have received an update from the school via the promoters. I have copied the relevant section from the email to me:

I am sorry that you feel that the marketing passed out is misrepresentative. However, our company is flying in for this event, 'Formally of The Supremes' which includes Scherrie Payne and Lynda Lawrence, who will be performing live at the event on the 4th December 2010. The promotion of our materials, has been checked and agreed with Motown Records themselves, and I can only but assure of the fact that the Ladies Formally of the Supremes will be performing at this event.

HOpefully the funds raised to help the high school will be used to boost their literacy efforts as that is a horribly written message from the promoters as they don't know the difference between "formally" and "formerly".

smark21 Guest
    What I find amusing is that Martha is taking second billing to The FLOS. Unless this is Roz and Annette's "Original Vandellas" act and not Martha's group that's performing. But in the end, can't believe some of you are up in arms over such a piddly little gig. If someone actually thought they were going to see the Original Supremes at such a low price, they deserve to be disappointed as that act dissolved 40 years ago!

If I wanted to be sarcastic, I'd suggest that formally was a deliberate choice of words, as Scherrie and Lynda were members of the Supremes by virtue of a formal contract.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    For some of the uptight types, I suspect if Diana Ross had come out of that group, it would have to be Diana Ross and the Former Ladies of the Vandellas. But if it's Martha, who gives a poo poo?

Jonc is right that this is another dead as a doornail issue ~ somebody is playing at a frickin High School somewhere in Great Britain! What's the price? $5 to get in; a gross of $2800 split 18 ways? Are we worried about Mary's breaking heart again? Well, Mary isn't!
    The price is 39 british pounds to get in...which is about 50$ US. And this is a BENEFIT concert, you know, so theyr'e probably not making much... that's the nature of benefits.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post

I can't believe someone took the time to write and complain. LMFAO

Call it creative advertising. The truth is right there for our eyes to see; however I'm sure they are hoping that we miss the "Former Ladies Of" part in -8 point font. As mentioned above, I am sure Lynda and Scherrie have ZERO input on how their posters/fliers/promotional items are printed. Personally, I prefer "Scherrie and Lynda, Formerly of the Supremes" as Joyce was never a Supreme.

I wonder how much truth is in the statement: The promotion of our materials, has been checked and agreed with Motown Records themselves.

I have noticed that ever since Joyce joined, that the FLOS have gotten a lot less criticizm, Joyce has been the best thing that's happened to them.... although I STILL feel that the FLOS are beneath Joyce.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Call it creative advertising. The truth is right there for our eyes to see; however I'm sure they are hoping that we miss the "Former Ladies Of" part in -8 point font. As mentioned above, I am sure Lynda and Scherrie have ZERO input on how their posters/fliers/promotional items are printed. Personally, I prefer "Scherrie and Lynda, Formerly of the Supremes" as Joyce was never a Supreme.

I wonder how much truth is in the statement: The promotion of our materials, has been checked and agreed with Motown Records themselves.
    It's a high school gig in rural Suffolk, England. Does it really matter how they are billed?

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    I have noticed that ever since Joyce joined, that the FLOS have gotten a lot less criticizm, Joyce has been the best thing that's happened to them.... although I STILL feel that the FLOS are beneath Joyce.
    And exactly what was "A" list Joyce doing prior to joining the FLOS?

I know "Subtleties Supreme"..............but the ones that run through here are remarkable.

Almost no artist has a lot to do with the promotion for a concert; the FLOS probably won't even be there until the day before. If you are Aretha Franklin or Diana Ross, maybe you can dictate............but you certainly can't do it well from afar when you are a FLO or a Vandella.

The person who wrote the complaint needs to put his time to better use. No one but a few fans will even understand the possible question and the response [[to me) either indicates the promoter had little understanding of the complaint, didn't care, or were being completely disingenuous. What I get from their response is: Get real buddy, you've got real Supremes here! What the hell else do you want? Either they miss the point or think people that worry about this kind of triviality need to spend a night on the street and get real.

And then there is the issue, for those that have a concern that $500 will slip away from some former Supremes purse [[one that apparently has a fortune, a mortgage, lives with relatives or like a Queen, depending on which version you like) because she lost a potential gig ~ there IS the issue of suggesting it is THE SUPREMES that are appearing because of the difference in lettering size.

There is the issue of this being a benefit; should this ever have been raised? Is a former Supreme allowed to sing Baby Love ever again? Or only in the presence of certain fans with only certain Supremes present?

And then there is the issue of Joyce; I think Jill is friends with all of these women; but I'm not clear on what the subtlety regarding Joyce is. Perhaps it is that Joyce never got drawn into the morass, the litigation, the fowl smell of having been in the Supremes as it descended in a revolving door and hence, Joyce is above that. I can see the argument.

I love Supremes minutiae. As long as we all understand it is all trivialities and for each post we make here, you must contribute $5 to Soulful Detroit, $50 for the originator of the thread.

Did I hear someone say $50 for lawyers? Oh...........thanks, no one said that.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 10-26-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: JRob made error in judgment and edited after consideration

What year is this? 1980 or 2010? You think people care anymore? LOL
    If no one knows the real Supremes, then they'll fail music 101. LOL
    I mean, really? Let them bill them how they like. I'm sure Martha don't care about being second billing for some school overseas.

Well Joyce is probably more well known than the other two. She did appear on national television once a week for two years as a prominent cast member of the "Tony Orlando and Dawn Show.

The FLO's do nothing to keep the dream alive [[whatever that means), but they do have to eat and pay bills. It's ok if they play a few school gyms over in England from time to time. They cannot get bookings here in New York City, because they are unknown.

topdiva1 Guest
    A worn out topic at best - this is really reaching.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well Joyce is probably more well known than the other two. She did appear on national television once a week for two years as a prominent cast member of the "Tony Orlando and Dawn Show.
    That show was canceled in 1976. LMFAO

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    What year is this? 1980 or 2010? You think people care anymore? LOL
    If no one knows the real Supremes, then they'll fail music 101. LOL
    I mean, really? Let them bill them how they like. I'm sure Martha don't care about being second billing for some school overseas.
    LMFAO. Beautifully stated midnightman.

jonc Guest
    The fool who wrote the complaint has nothing better to do.
    And I bet you and I could name that fool jobeterob.

Quote Originally Posted by jonc View Post
    And I bet you and I could name that fool jobeterob.
    I'm not sure that gordy_hunk will appreciate being called a fool guys.

Wll top as you have said before about your own topics then dont bother to read or comment. If we can talk about SOS then I think when theres real fake billing for the Supremes-not SOS or tribute-it's noteworthy; but you can just ignore it!!

And exactly what was "A" list Joyce doing prior to joining the FLOS?
    She wasn't doing much, and that's why I understand her joining the FLOS. But that wans't my point of the FLOS being "Beneath" her. Joyce has 15 top 40 hits under her belt [[3 number ones)... Scherrie has 2, and Lynda has none. Joyce starred in a successful TV show, Scherrie and Lynda didn't do that, either.

That show was canceled in 1976. LMFAO
    And every single person in this country over 40 remembers that show. not to mention the DVD release it got a couple years ago. And of course, "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" is not just the biggest selling record of 1973, but a cultural phenomenon... look at trees whenever soldiers are overseas.

jonc Guest
    And every single person in this country over 40 remembers that show. not to mention the DVD release it got a couple years ago. And of course, "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" is not just the biggest selling record of 1973, but a cultural phenomenon... look at trees whenever soldiers are overseas.
    Then why did an A list star like Joyce join the FLOS Mr. Foster? There are 100,000 troops [[including my nephew) in Iraq and Afghanistan and I have yet to see yellow ribbons round an old oak tree.

jonc Guest
    She wasn't doing much, and that's why I understand her joining the FLOS. But that wans't my point of the FLOS being "Beneath" her. Joyce has 15 top 40 hits under her belt [[3 number ones)... Scherrie has 2, and Lynda has none. Joyce starred in a successful TV show, Scherrie and Lynda didn't do that, either.
    She's a 64 year old woman who wants to work and God bless her for it. She's also probably good friends with Lynda and Scherrie so let her sing with the FLOS and enjoy singing with the FLOS. End of story.

Then why did an A list star like Joyce join the FLOS Mr. Foster? There are 100,000 troops [[including my nephew) in Iraq and Afghanistan and I have yet to see yellow ribbons round an old oak tree.
    I didn't say she is an A-list star now... but as opposed to Scherrie and Lynda, at least she WAS. And your'e not seeing yellow ribbons wehere you live because because California is populated by a bunch of pinkos. The rest of the country has them all over. and I was in no way saying Joyce "shouldn't" have joined the FLOS...I was just saying that I wished she didn't have to. But then again, she may NOT have to... she may be just doing it because she likes to sing and keep busy.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 10-25-2010 at 11:49 PM.

jonc Guest
    I didn't say she is an A-list star now... but as opposed to Scherrie and Lynda, at least she WAS. And your'e not seeing yellow ribbons wehere you live because because California is populated by a bunch of pinkos. The rest of the country has them all over.
    A bunch of Pinkos!!!!! ROTFLMFAO. It's not 1950, you're not living in Mayberry and Joseph McCarthy is dead old chap. I was recently in Chattanooga, Dallas, Chicago and Las Vegas and never saw one yellow ribbon round one old oak tree so peddle that BS somewhere else. Besides, it's cheap symbolism IMHO and I support the troops in other ways like sending money to Walter Reed or sending flip flops to bases in Afghanistan.

A bunch of Pinkos!!!!! ROTFLMFAO. It's not 1950, you're not living in Mayberry and Joseph McCarthy is dead old chap. I was recently in Chattanooga, Dallas, Chicago and Las Vegas and never saw one yellow ribbon round one old oak tree so peddle that BS somewhere else. Besides, it's cheap symbolism IMHO and I support the troops in other ways like sending money to Walter Reed or sending flip flops to bases in Afghanistan.

And I take back what I said about California..... it's just your small mind that is pinko:

CHECKMATE......... BITCH. And it's quite amusing that you keep calling me "old chap", when your'e 12 years OLDER than me. Does that make you a fossil?
    Last edited by jillfoster; 10-26-2010 at 01:48 AM.

jonc Guest
    [QUOTE=jillfoster;14995 And I take back what I said about California..... it's just your small mind that is pinko: CHECKMATE......... BITCH. And it's quite amusing that you keep calling me "old chap", when your'e 12 years OLDER than me. Does that make you a fossil?[/QUOTE]

You wish Jed Clampett.

i'm amazed the school got them in the 1st place.that should be the talking point.it wont be that bad,but i wouldnt spend £80[[me and she who must etc) and do the 70/80 miles return trip tho'

Yes saw this the other day [[I think I started all thiss of on Treasures) when I was travelling down the A12 towards Ipswich, saw this poster by the side of the road on a dual carriageway and couldn't stop so went round a roundabout two miles down the road back to the poster, parked up and couldnt believe they were at this local school. As you say £80 for a couple plus food and drink is a bit steep for a school hop.

I agree with what Marv wrote way back on this thread, but I would perhaps add a bit.

There is nothing wrong with the FLOS doing some shows like this. The advertising should not simply say SUPREMES. If we are going to say SUPREMES or DIANA ROSS and the SUPREMES, we need Diana, Mary and Cindy - no one else.

There is also nothing wrong with Kaaren Ragland or any other 10 women [[?) off the street doing Tribute shows, advertised as such.

The fact that any Supremes, Barbara, Diana, Mary, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye, or Betty can sing at all at 67 to 70 years of age is a reason for celebration. The deterioration in many of those voices is significantly less than the deterioration in the voices of Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin.

The silly hairsplitting done by some fans creates the same kind of friction that has doomed chances of any kind of reunions, be they 70's or 60's. [[Hmm, my finger typed 69's!)

topdiva1 Guest
    I agree with what Marv wrote way back on this thread, but I would perhaps add a bit.

There is nothing wrong with the FLOS doing some shows like this. The advertising should not simply say SUPREMES. If we are going to say SUPREMES or DIANA ROSS and the SUPREMES, we need Diana, Mary and Cindy - no one else.

There is also nothing wrong with Kaaren Ragland or any other 10 women [[?) off the street doing Tribute shows, advertised as such.

The fact that any Supremes, Barbara, Diana, Mary, Cindy, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye, or Betty can sing at all at 67 to 70 years of age is a reason for celebration. The deterioration in many of those voices is significantly less than the deterioration in the voices of Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin.

The silly hairsplitting done by some fans creates the same kind of friction that has doomed chances of any kind of reunions, be they 70's or 60's. [[Hmm, my finger typed 69's!)

Of course your points are well made, and I agree with them all.

Thanks TopDiva.

Ironic how things change over time; I've seen some recent posts on here from both you and Marv that I've thought were thoughtful and reasoned out, making a lot of sense.

Sometimes, even on a discussion forum, we have to cut these artists some slack and remember they are nearly 70 years ago.

topdiva1 Guest
    Thanks TopDiva.

Ironic how things change over time; I've seen some recent posts on here from both you and Marv that I've thought were thoughtful and reasoned out, making a lot of sense.

Sometimes, even on a discussion forum, we have to cut these artists some slack and remember they are nearly 70 years ago.

Good point - thanks

There are 100,000 troops [[including my nephew) in Iraq and Afghanistan and I have yet to see yellow ribbons round an old oak tree.
    At the beginning of the war, I saw yellow ribbons everywhere. Even the hospital where I volunteer [[which is NOT a military hospital, btw) had small yellow ribbons on most of the doors. You don't see as many yellow ribbows now, but just today I saw a poster in Target talking about how the company supports veterans. The only picture on the poster was a large picture of a yellow ribbon.