[REMOVE ADS]

It will be interesting to see just what they will tell and how much.

S.S.

I watched a documentary on PBS about James Brown that had to use an actor to read his personal commentary because of his... unique manner of speaking. It will be very difficult for Bozeman or any actor to portray James Brown. He might come across reminding viewers of Eddie Murphy's classic imitations if not done exactly right. And if the actor does not evoke his speech, nobody will identify with the character. I hope they do it well, though.

The biopic will be filmed in Natchez, Ms. Octavia Spencer has been added to the cast. They begin filming in a few months, November I've heard. Since filming will take place fairly nearby, people from Memphis are hoping to get in the film. I want to be a famous Flame!
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-28-2013 at 11:29 PM.

I'm wondering how intensive this film will be considering James Brown's story is more
    complicated than any American musical icon this side of Miles Davis. More than Marvin
    Gaye and I daresay even Jimi Hendrix. I'm wondering too if any of the many standout
    associates of his will be covered and who will play them. Bobby Byrd. Maceo Parker.
    Fred Wesley.Clyde Stubblefield. Jabo Starks. Bootsy Collins. Not to mention the women
    in JB's life. Tammi Terrell, Lyn Collins or any of his wives. And let's not forget political
    figures like Hubert Humphrey, Richard Nixon or Rev. Al Sharpton. Then there's his kids...This could be a bumpy ride, I'm curious how it will turn out...

Biopics are hard to get right. You cannot fairly compress a lifetime to two hours of film time. I commended the producers of "Ray" and "Walk the Line" for showing Ray Charles' and Johnny Cash' s warts as well as their successes. But there are bound to be important people and situations that are omitted, leaving 99% of what is revealed out of context. And what is dropped typically reveals the biases of the filmmakers toward the subject. This may be the most ambitious musical biopic to date, so I hope they do an excellent job.

There is a CBC radio interview with Bootsy Collins, like available as a podcast on CBC.ca; I remember one line from Bootsy was when they played on, recorded Sex Machine, they never even thought of getting paid as session players let allow anything more.

Bootsy is a well spoken, intelligent man.