[REMOVE ADS]

The Marvelettes - "That's How Heartaches Are Made"

As a complementary question to the interesting thread started by Arrr&bee on the Clubhouse forum, can anyone here confirm how the middle break sound was actually achieved on "That's How Heartaches Are Made" by The Marvelettes, please...and which is, for me, the best version.

After all these years, I still can't decide if it is a completely synthesised sound, or if a special effect has been applied to the sound of an actual instrument played in the studio....for example, a muted trumpet.

westgrandboulevard, very good question. Here is the Marvelettes great version of the song:
    Last edited by marv2; 10-24-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Marv2

And an excellent idea of yours, to provide the actual recording as an opportunity to check it out. Many thanks!!

I think Clay McMurray produced it and there was a time, I believe, when he would post here.....

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  21.1 KB
    Loleatta Holloway also had a quite nice version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6ym...eature=related

Those other versions are nice simply because I have always loved this song. Does anyone remember how far up the charts the Marvelettes went ?

It didn't do well because they just weren't promoting the record or their records anymore. Wanda does sound terrific
    on this production, however. Lack of airplay will keep any great record from being a hit.

james

one week on the pop chart at #97 - their last single to chart, in fact. Surprisingly it didn't chart on the Billboard r&b chart.

uptight Guest
    westgrand... I'm sure you are referring to the guitar solo [[possibly Dennis Coffey). The guitarist was using a wah-wah peddle as was used in a few Temptations hits like "Psychedelic Shack" and "Cloud Nine" played by Dennis Coffey. Plus there might be a flute playing along the same lines.

Uptight

Now you mention it, your suggestion that it is the sound of a wah-wah guitar is certainly good enough for me although, to my ears, it doesn't seem to have the same degree of resonance as on those Temptations tracks.

I've now listened to it again,twice, courtesy of Marv2's post, but I can't say I hear a flute, unless there was a way of distorting the guitar and flute sound at exactly the same time.

Whatever it was, and however it was achieved, it gave that track just that little extra edge of spookiness...but I agree with Randy, Wanda sounds terrific.

uptight Guest
    I have both Marvelettes albums that contain this tune plus the Deliver: The Singles set. But this little camcorder version on YouTube played through my laptop speakers is all I have as a reference while I am away from my personal collection this week. I'm pretty sure it is an electric guitar solo, but I'm less certain about a flute with it.

We know there is an electric guitar with distortion played throughout it. And I believe the wah-wah pedal is switched on with extreme settings during the instrumental break. The solo did give it "that little extra edge of spookiness." LOL

Uptight

If you do have any further thoughts, they will be received with great interest, thanks!

smark21 Guest
    Wanda was one of Motown's most underrated vocalists.

Wanda Rogers always was an underrated interpreter, taking a cover version of a song and making it sound definitive. She did that with Ruby & the Romantics' "When You're Young and in Love," and she does the exact same thing with "That's Heartaches Are Made."

What Wanda brings to the song is an emotional intensity and a subtext that is far more complex and enigmatic than your typical broken-hearted love song. She knows the guy she loves is no good, and she knows she's a fool for giving her all to a man who's done her wrong one too many times. Still she's drawn to him and still wants the reassurance of his love.

Why was this song included on both of the groups last two albums when there was so much unreleased material in the vaults?

The Marvelettes to me constantly had quality material...and this is one of the reasons why. I agree about Wanda Young, very underrated.