[REMOVE ADS]

The tears-the supremes

This little ditti written by smokey in[1961]for the supremes with mary on lead is almost forgotten today,yes i know it didn't sell but i think that smokey was going for the sherelles sound that was popular in the early sixties but i don't think that berry thought much of it,of course there were four supremes on that recording[barbara martin was in the group then]and you can hear young diane ross singing background[how bout that]the song has an incredible doowop feel and is much sought after by collectors today,how many of you like this little known classic?

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    This little ditti written by smokey in[1961]for the supremes with mary on lead is almost forgotten today,yes i know it didn't sell but i think that smokey was going for the sherelles sound that was popular in the early sixties but i don't think that berry thought much of it,of course there were four supremes on that recording[barbara martin was in the group then]and you can hear young diane ross singing background[how bout that]the song has an incredible doowop feel and is much sought after by collectors today,how many of you like this little known classic?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  21.1 KB
    One reason why it didn't sell was that it never got released.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  21.1 KB
    One reason why it didn't sell was that it never got released.
    Well, I guess you don't need more than that one reason.

LOL.
    But I'll still give it three :

I absolutely love these early Supremes recordings where they play around with both the lead singer and the lead singer's range. You can tell they were really searching for a winning formula.

mary singing high! like her smokey voice, but this is good!

I don't like it. Some of that early stuff is unbearable on my ears, but that's just me. I liked Pretty Baby and Baby Don't Go much better.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-18-2013 at 02:42 PM.

The young Supremes. Nice record, nice girl group sound.

Miss Ross and Miss Ballard are kickin ass on those high tight background harmonies!!! Nice strong clear attack from the lead vocalist. Kinda reminds me of "He's Gone" by The Chantels.

In case anyone reading this thread wonders where this unique song appears, it appeared in the album NEVER BEFORE RELEASED MASTERS from Motown's Brightest Stars The 1960's. The album included The Tears which was recorded 12/8/1961 and also Stay In My Lonely Arms which was recorded 10/6/1967. Several Motown artists recorded Stay In My Lonely Arms, but the Supremes version is the best of the lot: It could have sold a million copies had it been released. An outstanding song.

supremester Guest
    I love this cut - it clearly shows how strong Mary was on this type of song: very, very strong.

Cute song but I prefer the stereo version used in the the expanded Meet The Supremes, it's a little tighter and cleaner to my ears. I also prefer the version of Pretty Baby used on the Looking Back with Eddie Floyd Album. Does anyone know if it has been issued anywhere else?