[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marvin Gaye's Family vs. "Blurred Lines"

thomas96 Guest
    I hope they counter sue.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    I hope they counter sue.

They'd lose in a big way. Sounds like Marvin's descendants are a bunch of leeches looking for a big payoff.

All I know is that when I hear "Blurred Lines" all I can think of is "Got To Give It Up" - I honestly thought it was sampled in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    They'd lose in a big way. Sounds like Marvin's descendants are a bunch of leeches looking for a big payoff.
    I couldn't agree more. What a lame lawsuit. When did Gaye's family become so self-righteous that now anything that even SOUNDS like Marvin's work is infringement?

I was just about to start a thread about this. Well, anyway...http://www.nbcnews.com/entertainment...nes-6C10931558

Thicke now suing Gaye's family. I feel ill.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Good. He should. Bullying is not tolerated.

Is this song posted here at all i need to listen to it before i say anything.

Ok i heard it and marvin's family doesn't have much of a case,if the kid did borrow he did a good job of covering it up because i only heard a little of the back beat in the opening,not enough to get paid on i'm afraid.

When I saw Thicke perform "Blurred Lines" on America's Got talent I immediately thought it sounded a LOT like "Got To Give It Up." Nobody can match Marvin Gaye, or ever will. Maybe a hot remix of that classic should be re-released to set the record straight who the real "soul man" is.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    There shouldn't be any lawsuit at all in this. Thicke has no reasonable base for this, and the Gaye's haven't tried to sue... If the Gaye's were suing I would be angry as well, but they didn't start this, Thicke did.

It's funny; when I first heard "Blurred Lines", the first song I thought of was Michael jackson's "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough".

Afetr doing a little poking around on wiki, I came across this:

Gaye's song became an important influence and motivation for Michael Jackson, who was searching to write a potential hit after The Jacksons had struggled with previous offerings. Jackson later wrote, with brother Randy, the classic, "Shake Your Body [[Down to the Ground)", taking and altering bits of Gaye's chant, "let's dance, let's shout, get funky what it's all about." The song, "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough", written solely by Jackson and recorded the same year as "Shake Your Body", took even more of Gaye's approach with the entire song, using percussive instruments as the basis of the song and a continued funk guitar riff, that was also present on "Got to Give It Up". Jackson sings most of the song in falsetto though he also adds tenor vocals in the bridge. Jackson and producer Quincy Jones added in strings to make the song different and an original. Much like the party chatter in "Got to Give It Up", Jackson added in vocal chatter, however, the chatter would later be debated as two people having a verbal argument while the tape was recording [[a woman could be heard hollering "man I hate your ass anyway!"). Jackson and Jones allowed the argument in the recording. The melody and rhythm from the song was revised in 2013 by Robin Thicke on his hit single, "Blurred Lines".

So was there a lawsuit from Marvin against Jackson? Marvin still would have been alive when "Stop" was released.

If not, that builds a strongER case for Thicke. If Marvin couldn't hear it in a more obvious "reworking", his family is grasping at straws against Thicke.

I played Got to give it up to my 22yo daughter and said, what does this sound like? She straightaway said 'Blurred Lines'

The first time I heard BLURRED LINES, I immediately thought of GOT TO GIVE IT UP. But after the initial opening, IMO, the melodies of the two songs are totally different.

All artist borrow from time to time,even someone as great as smokey...[don't believe me play mickey's monkey and listen to the backbeat]it happens alot more today though with the rappers.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The first time I heard BLURRED LINES, I immediately thought of GOT TO GIVE IT UP. But after the initial opening, IMO, the melodies of the two songs are totally different.
    Exactly... "Blurred Lines" and "Got To Give It Up" are similar in style and feel, but not plagarism by any means, they are similar in the way the music of Jan and Dean and the Beach Boys' music are.

honest man Guest
    sounds more like Justin's Sexy back than mr Gaye,3 terrific songs all the same,cheers.

First of all, the instigator of the lawsuit is Robin Thicke, not Marvin Gaye's estate... Thicke wants the court to say that 'Blurred Lines" does not "infringe" on Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give It Up." The two songs are quite different, but the arrangement and instrumentation and the periodic 'Wooos" are a direct copy of GTGIU... I don't think copying [[not sampling) the sound and of another song is considered infringement. If that was considered infringment then Sheryl Crow should have sued for "All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun" by the group Stealers Wheel because it copied their song "Stuck In The Middle With You."

What I find interesting is that Thicke acted first as if he was afraid that "Blurred Lines" was too much like Marvin's "Got To Give It Up." Sounds like he knows he did just that... I find it unconscionable that Thicke stirred the pot to the point that the Gaye Estate now needs to retain a lawyer... I would be pissed to have to retain a lawyer because someone is suing me because THEY copied something that I have ownership of... Because of that, I would never buy a Robin Thicke anything... He should be ashamed of himself re this lawsuit....

Thicke was taking a preemptive strike to show muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by marxthespot_ View Post
    First of all, the instigator of the lawsuit is Robin Thicke, not Marvin Gaye's estate... Thicke wants the court to say that 'Blurred Lines" does not "infringe" on Marvin Gaye's "Got To Give It Up." The two songs are quite different, but the arrangement and instrumentation and the periodic 'Wooos" are a direct copy of GTGIU... I don't think copying [[not sampling) the sound and of another song is considered infringement. If that was considered infringment then Sheryl Crow should have sued for "All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun" by the group Stealers Wheel because it copied their song "Stuck In The Middle With You."

What I find interesting is that Thicke acted first as if he was afraid that "Blurred Lines" was too much like Marvin's "Got To Give It Up." Sounds like he knows he did just that... I find it unconscionable that Thicke stirred the pot to the point that the Gaye Estate now needs to retain a lawyer... I would be pissed to have to retain a lawyer because someone is suing me because THEY copied something that I have ownership of... Because of that, I would never buy a Robin Thicke anything... He should be ashamed of himself re this lawsuit....
    From what I understand, members of the Gaye family have been "threatening" to sue in interviews, and this is a pre-emptive strike, like Soulster said. Pretty brilliant. Gaye's family shot their mouths off, and now it's costing them. Alot of it comes from ignorance. So many people just look at music on the surface, and if the style and "sound" is similar, they somehow think it's copyright infringment, when it's not.I had a friend who couldn't fathom how George Harrison got sued for "My Sweet Lord" [[Because it "sounded" so different from "He's So Fine"), until I played it for him, and sung the lyrics to "He's So Fine" over it. Those songs sound NOTHING alike, but yet "My Sweet Lord" totally meets the requirement of plagarism [[though accidental) "Blurred Lines" does not, Gaye's family obviously aren't musically savvy enough to analyze the songs on an elemental level and see that. There have been TONS of instances of songs in musical history that copy the sound and style of another hit record, without being close to plagarism on a structural level... this being one of the biggest examples:

Last edited by jillfoster; 08-20-2013 at 03:18 AM.

For Thicke to in any way try to claim this song as something of his own , well , some people it seems have no shame.

Having said that, what did anyone in the Gaye family have to do with creating GOT TO GIVE IT UP ??

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    So was there a lawsuit from Marvin against Jackson? Marvin still would have been alive when "Stop" was released.

If not, that builds a strongER case for Thicke. If Marvin couldn't hear it in a more obvious "reworking", his family is grasping at straws against Thicke.
    Marvin Gaye's family hasn't done shit! Why do you keep saying that? It's Robin Thicke who's jump the gun and filed a lawsuit! Geez.................

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Marvin Gaye's family hasn't done shit! Why do you keep saying that? It's Robin Thicke who's jump the gun and filed a lawsuit! Geez.................
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    For Thicke to in any way try to claim this song as something of his own , well , some people it seems have no shame.

Having said that, what did anyone in the Gaye family have to do with creating GOT TO GIVE IT UP ??
    It IS something of his own, even though it's in a similar style of another song. Styles of music are like recipes.. they cannot be copyrighted, that's why Kentucky Fried Chicken and Coca-cola guard their recipes so closely. So basically what we have is Marvin's "Got To Give it Up" is the "Coke", and Thicke's song is the RC cola. You guys have got to analyze the techinical aspects of the song, not just the style of the production... that's all SURFACE.

According to reports, Marvin's estate was demanding money and threatening legal action.

This article from Parade magazine's website lays it all out very clearly for anyone who is confused at to what is going on. Thicke's song has to contain "Protectable elements" of Gaye's song, which it doesn't. And the latest breaking news is that George Clinton has thrown his support behind Thicke.

http://www.parade.com/65765/harrymar...-gayes-estate/

George Clinton may say Blurred Lines does not sample Sexy Ways or Got To Give It Up [[and of course he has his own reasons for not wanting to line the pockets of Armen Boladian), but surely even he cannot deny that Blurred Lines contains interpolations of those two tracks. As Billy Griffin has been saying on Facebook, it would appear that Robin Thicke probably thought Interscope would clear the interpolations, and Interscope thought Robin Thicke had done it. When they realised no one had taken care of business, they went on the offensive and threatened to sue Marvin Gaye's estate. Now I call that offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspurman View Post
    George Clinton may say Blurred Lines does not sample Sexy Ways or Got To Give It Up [[and of course he has his own reasons for not wanting to line the pockets of Armen Boladian), but surely even he cannot deny that Blurred Lines contains interpolations of those two tracks. As Billy Griffin has been saying on Facebook, it would appear that Robin Thicke probably thought Interscope would clear the interpolations, and Interscope thought Robin Thicke had done it. When they realised no one had taken care of business, they went on the offensive and threatened to sue Marvin Gaye's estate. Now I call that offensive.
    It doesn't sample either one. "Sampling" is use of the actual recording, not a voice or instrument made to sound like the actual recording. This song is "derivative" not "plagaristic"..... George Clinton has the musical savvy and knowledge to realize that, Gaye's family obviously does not. Their threats came out of ignorance. And Thicke is not sueing for money, anyway. They are just saying "they sound the same to me, they STOLE the song!" and it's just not that simple. The ACUTAL NOTES have to be the same, nothing else matters from a legal standpoint.

Look, let's be honest and blunt here. Robin Thicke has been "appropriating" Marvin Gaye's style from the very beginning of his career. It obvious to me from the time I first heard him. So much of this current young generation are bankrupt of originality and creativity. They don't even know the difference of when they are hearing copycats and retreads of the classic iconic artists they are so dumb and music is not even taught in schools anymore. Check this out and tell me he does not swerve in and out of Marvin Gaye's lane........

Last edited by marv2; 08-22-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Look, let's be honest and blunt here. Robin Thicke has been "appropriating" Marvin Gaye's style from the very beginning of his career. It obvious to me from the time I first heard him. So much of this current young generation are bankrupt of originality and creativity. They even know the difference of when they are hearing copycats and retreads of the classic iconic artists they are so dumb and music is not even taught in schools anymore. Check this out and tell me he does not swerve in and out of Marvin Gaye's lane........

I don't disagree with any of that, Marv. It's just none of his stuff is close enough to be successfully litigated. One could argue that Motown did the exact same thing when certain artists on their roster stepped into the disco realm. We all know that Motown did NOT start disco, and was actually very late to the party. One could also argue that 90 percent of Doo-wop copied each other, with similar if not identical rhythms, background phrases, etc... Everything comes from something. I think from a stylistic standpoint, with the instruments we have at our disposal, basically everything has been done already. I can't think of anything someone could come up with that would be totally new.

Look, let's be honest and blunt here. Robin Thicke has been "appropriating" Marvin Gaye's style from the very beginning of his career. It obvious to me from the time I first heard him. So much of this current young generation are bankrupt of originality and creativity. They even know the difference of when they are hearing copycats and retreads of the classic iconic artists they are so dumb and music is not even taught in schools anymore. Check this out and tell me he does not swerve in and out of Marvin Gaye's lane........

When little old ladies in my indoor cycling class say that is Marvin Gaye, I don't know what else to say. Also you have to copy seven bars of a song to be in violation, so if you change bar seven you are in the clear. I agree with Marv regarding Robin Thicke on his past cd's there are several songs that sound to me imo that he took liberties with others musical work.

I'm wondering if any of this is racial. I have never heard anyone say these things about Maxwell or D'angelo. If anything Robin is riding off of the neo soul sound. Marvin does not own singing in falsetto.

I don't disagree with any of that, Marv. It's just none of his stuff is close enough to be successfully litigated. One could argue that Motown did the exact same thing when certain artists on their roster stepped into the disco realm. We all know that Motown did NOT start disco, and was actually very late to the party. One could also argue that 90 percent of Doo-wop copied each other, with similar if not identical rhythms, background phrases, etc... Everything comes from something. I think from a stylistic standpoint, with the instruments we have at our disposal, basically everything has been done already. I can't think of anything someone could come up with that would be totally new.
    Classic example of what you're saying Jill is "Earth Angel" and "Tears On My Pillow". They have the EXACT same backing vocal arrangements! I guess Robin and co. are smart enough to go just beyond flirting with copying Marvin's style but don't have the nerve to go all the way. There are too many of us still around that remember the true master of what he's doing and that was one Marvin Gaye. I also guess everything has been done at least once. I just wished younger artists would try harder to come up with something original than what I have been hearing.

The worst thing is to hear an old song with new lyrics!
    Last edited by marv2; 08-22-2013 at 10:15 PM.

THANK YOU Rodrick.... I was trying to remember what the threshold was, I've been trying to remember it for DAYS and it's been driving me nuts. 7 bars, YES, it all comes back to me now. I'm just glad we FINALLY have some meat and potatoes to discuss around here, I'm sick to damn death of seeing trivial crap like pictures of Ross with potato chips in her effin grocery bag! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I'm wondering if any of this is racial. I have never heard anyone say these things about Maxwell or D'angelo. If anything Robin is riding off of the neo soul sound. Marvin does not own singing in falsetto.
    None of it is racial! It is topical. Robin Thicke is one of the most popular current R&B artists at the moment. This is why we are focusing on him and his current song.

THANK YOU Rodrick.... I was trying to remember what the threshold was, I've been trying to remember it for DAYS and it's been driving me nuts. 7 bars, YES, it all comes back to me now. I'm just glad we FINALLY have some meat and potatoes to discuss around here, I'm sick to damn death of seeing trivial crap like pictures of Ross with potato chips in her effin grocery bag! LOL
    That's called starving for attention! LOL!!!!!

Robin Thicke needs to very careful right now. He may run the risk of ruining his reputation and pissing off a whole host of people that still hold Marvin Gaye in high esteem. I wonder what Berry and Anna think of all of this.

Robin Thicke needs to very careful right now. He may run the risk of ruining his reputation and pissing off a whole host of people that still hold Marvin Gaye in high esteem. I wonder what Berry and Anna think of all of this.
    I don't think anybody who buys Thicke's records cares about that, Marv. Marvin's family are being damn foolish by pursuing this. I think an attorney is egging them on so he can rake in a big payday in legal fees. If I were gaye's family, I would only pursue litigation if the attorney were willing to take the case on CONTINGENCY, but you can bet your ass those attorney's won't do that. If there were a reasonable succession of notes that actually MATCHED in each song, I'd feel differently, but the songs just aren't the same. It's almost like a drag queen dressing up like Diana Ross, trying to get the look, but there's a penis under the dress.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 08-23-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Now why would Robin Thicke offer the Gaye Family money if he is sure his song is completely original? hmmmmm..........

Now why would Robin Thicke offer the Gaye Family money if he is sure his song is completely original? hmmmmm..........
    Because he feels sorry for them, and he'd spend that much on attorney fees. I mean, neither song is a big mystery, just compare the notes, everyone keeps harping on how the rhythm is the same, and maybe it is, but people cna't seem to grasp that you cannot copyright a rhythm, only melody and lyrics. Just because someone offers a settlement doens;t mean they are guilty, unless you think Miichael Jackson fucked those little boys because he gave a settlement?
    Last edited by jillfoster; 08-24-2013 at 12:18 AM.

"The suit claims the Gaye family is alleging that "Blurred Lines" and Gaye's "Got to Give It Up" "feel" or "sound" the same,"

Well the sound and the groove is similar

"and that the "Gaye defendants are claiming ownership of an entire genre, as opposed to a specific work."
    I didn't see where the Gaye's said that , besides that's a stupid thing to claim. The only one who could claim ownership of a "sub-genre" ,is James Brown and that would be Hip-Hop in its fetal stage and in some ways......FUNK.

"As for Funkadelic, there's said to be claimed similarity between Thicke's hit and Funakedlic's "Sexy Ways."
    "But there are no similarities between plaintiffs' composition and those the claimants allege they own, other than commonplace musical elements," states the lawsuit. "Plaintiffs created a hit and did it without copying anyone else's composition"

B.L. contains "elements" of both compositions that belong to the same genre ,yet don't sound or feel the same. So if you mix two elements of the same genre ,then you are actually making a new "original" genre.........If I understand their logic.

yeah , o.k.

Quote today from an interview with Isaac Hayes III asking him about the issue:

In copyright infringement involving music,” Hayes explained, “you have to consider three things: cadence, melody and lyrics, and you have to take two of the three in order for it to be infringement.” If neither is used in their identical form, then the producer isn’t required to cut a check to the publisher of the original version. “In the case of Blurred Lines, he continued, “they take none of the three.”

I've always felt that GOT TO GIVE IT UP was Marvin's best song so its kind of gratifying to see a whole new generation getting so solidly into it.

Concerning being influenced by this song, Robin Thicke isn't alone on being shameless,

Good point, Boogie... you all look at the TMZ video here, and tell me if you don't think he's being pressured into this by that young, fake-breasted white wife of his. I think she needs more money for shoes!!!!!!!!!! Listen to how evasive he was when questioned, that's because I don't see how Marvin's estate can sue when they don't own the damn song! The recording, nor the publishing rights!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3796321.html

LOL
    This is too wild for me.... This will make Robin's song fly to the top more !!