[REMOVE ADS]

What's The Difference Between Classic Soul And R&B

Hi this is Kev-Lo

I think we may have touched before, But since we have many new people on here I though I would ask this again. What's The Difference Between Classic Soul And R&B

Not much, except the name.

I'd say about 15-20 years.
    Classic soul being roughly the music of the late sixties early seventies and R&B's birth in the 50's...
    Of course what is called R&B today is actually 3rd and 4th generation...

classic soul= Marvin, Aretha, Glady's
    Today's R & B =?????????? auto tunes

Classic Soul & R&B are the same, except that Classic Soul has been recorded and performed consistently over the years and has earned the distinction of being recognized as the epitome of the art form.

There is still R & B being recorded and performed today, but sadly most of it will never earn the distinctive honor of being classified as "Classic Soul".

Talent.

The main difference is that in Classic Soul nobody deluded themselves that they could do everything - a great singer did not necessarily mean a great writer. So Classic Soul was
    essentially a collaborative effort with many people playing a part, singers, musicians, writers, arrangers, producers and engineers who all brought their skills together to produce a record.
    Nowadays because of the advent of computerised technology too many people think they're qualified to do everything when they're not resulting in masses of barely competent records
    where you can have somebody with a really good voice but terrible material to work with. How much of this is down to greed is debatable - the "why should I pay somebody else to
    arrange the song when I can do it myself" scenario. The other thing is the lack of an objective viewpoint - it's never a bad thing to have another opinion even if being told "well, that
    could be better" doesn't stroke the ego as much as listening to the playback of a track and thinking you're God's gift.

smark21 Guest
    Semantics?

Classic Soul, like classic cars had style and class..Look at your 50s & 60s cars: Beautiful designs and colors of every hue--they seemed to have their own unique personality--made with love and care, so unlike the nondescript, generic things people drive today!

Classic Soul [[to me) describes a time, roughly late 50s to mid 70s when music was crafted, like a work of art....

...and I'm an old timer, but I always thought of R&B as the early, raw form of Soul Music--Hank Ballard, Ruth Brown, etc... Basically like the name implies: Rhythm and Blues, the two ingredients that seem to be missing from 'Today's R&B'

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    ...and I'm an old timer, but I always thought of R&B as the early, raw form of Soul Music--Hank Ballard, Ruth Brown, etc... Basically like the name implies: Rhythm and Blues, the two ingredients that seem to be missing from 'Today's R&B'
    When I first got into Soul Music in the 60s, some people were still calling it "New Wave R&B"..