[REMOVE ADS]

Memories of Diana Ross & The Supremes performance at Expo '67 in Montreal, Canada

I was a member of The Supremes Fan Club of Canada, founded by Eric Pressman in 1967 I even started an Ottawa chapter for a brief period, comprised mostly of high school friends. When Eric told me that he had obtained tickets for me to see the group's opening show, and the last show of their three day, six performance booking at the Expo Theatre, I was over the moon.

I contacted the teen editor at the Ottawa Citizen, the local paper which I was also a paperboy, and explained I'd like to do a review. Upon determining that I had a place to stay, they agreed. My parents let me go, a huge concession considering I was 16 at the time.

A press conference was set up at the Hotel Bonaventure in downtown Montreal, where the women were staying. Only Diana Ross was in attendance, and it became evident later that due to the recent departure of Florence Ballard, their management wanted to keep a lid on things.

As a teenager, I was totally ignored by seasoned reporters and DJ's who had only a few minutes for one on one time with Diana. Being shameless, I knelt down between a DJ and Diana straining to overhear their conversation which was being taped on a professional recording device. The DJ asked, "Diana, how would you describe the Motown Sound? She went "....hmmmm," and wasting no time, I hummed out a not so silent drum beat, making exaggerated movements with my hands. The hapless DJ's eyes burned into me, which I blissfully ignored and Diana, threw back her head, laughing gently, snapping her fingers, winked at me , saying, "That's it, That's it!"

For all the sins Diana Ross may have committed, perceived and otherwise, she has earned a pass from me for that magical encounter, that lives on in my memory, and which still gives me goosebumps and a mile wide smile, when I reflect back to that glorious shared moment.

On my recent trip back to Ottawa for my mom's 92 birthday, I spent several delightful hours at the down public library there searching for a microfilm copy of my concert review. You will note that I used my first name, Richard at the time and that the teen editor printed Cindy's name under Florence's photo. Name:  P1530755.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  96.4 KB

Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 08-12-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Extraordinary. I was at Expo '67 as a kid, and I don't remember the Supremes performing. Thanks for the revival.

I hope that you got a proper printout of the article. It's worth the Canadian dollar or two. I once wrote an article for my high school paper on Motown's [[then) 10-year history, and real glad I have it somewhere.
    Last edited by hwume; 08-12-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Excellent memories. Excellent thread. I posted an interview Diane did with the CBC from Expo '67 a while back. I hope that there is footage that exists somewhere.

So many started writing careers writing about MOTOWN and the Supremes. That's how my dad got started. He wrote for his school newspaper and progressed from there to Soul and other publications.

Really wonderful, Mark. What a great moment in time for you. And for us to hear about it. A beauty of a thread. A tapestry, actually. Thank you.

Kamasu, It is interesting that you state that many started a writing career documenting Motown and The Supremes. That article got me published in a short lived magazine from Toronto, called Soul in 1968, an article on Diane Brooks & Eric Mercury. I later studied Social Work, then went into Education. Now retired, I've retread myself as a photographer of urban wall mural/ graffiti. Funny how life takes us many on roads we didn't anticipate travelling.

Mark Des Thank you for bringing back the mmories, I was a member of the Canadian Supremes Fan Club withe Eric Pressman in 1966 thru 1968 whatever happened to him. And kudos to you for insisting on being in that room for your glorious piece that was printed, you are a go getter, and deserve many props for sharing it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Kamasu, It is interesting that you state that many started a writing career documenting Motown and The Supremes. That article got me published in a short lived magazine from Toronto, called Soul in 1968, an article on Diane Brooks & Eric Mercury. I later studied Social Work, then went into Education. Now retired, I've retread myself as a photographer of urban wall mural/ graffiti. Funny how life takes us many on roads we didn't anticipate travelling.
    Mark! Where is that graffiti located that Rick Mercer walks past in every show when he gives his rants?

Marv2, I don't usually watch the Rick Mercer show, but I am 100% certain, that his CBC show taped in Toronto would have Rick walking in a back alley that runs parallel to Younge Street in the downtown core.

Franjoy56, as you may know, Eric Pressman went on to open one of Montreal's most iconic and hip records shops, "Phantasmagoria." In the early 1980's he opened a branch in Vancouver, but fierce cut throat competition from chains record stores proved to be too much for him to stay open.

Eric now resides in Toronto with his wife and our friendship has endured over the decades. We saw Diana Ross during the early dates of her North American Tour back in May, 2011 some 47 [[!!!) years after the Expo '67 performances we saw. Diana was as stunning as ever.

The Roy Thompson Hall where she performed was sold out. The venue has a stage that juts out, so does not have a proper curtain. For the Ross show, a makeshift curtain hung on a steel wire was set up, so instead of being lifted up, it fell down and, and was dragged off the stage.

Eric scored two seats on an upper balcony, which was somehow located behind this makeshift curtain. So from our vantage point, we were able to see the musicians and background singers setting up on stage. There was the stage set with the stair case, and from my vantage point, I could see what appeared to be kind of an elevator shaft.

As the band tuned up, I could see movement at the bottom of this elevator shaft, and I saw Diana's hand frantically fluffing up her iconic hairdo before being hoisted up to the top of the set , then the curtain fell, the graphics screen behind her lit up, and she strutted down the stairs.

During that visit, to Toronto, I checked out the infamous wall mural/graffiti site that runs for what seemed like a mile of downtown alleys to me. Some of the graphics are simply stunning, and some even had imagery of Michael Jackson.

So, there you have it!
    Last edited by R. Mark Desjardins; 08-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Mark Desjardins View Post
    Marv2, I don't usually watch the Rick Mercer show, but I am 100% certain, that his CBC show taped in Toronto would have Rick walking in a back alley that runs parallel to Younge Street in the downtown core.

Franjoy56, as you may know, Eric Pressman went on to open one of Montreal's most iconic and hip records shops, "Phantasmagoria." In the early 1980's he opened a branch in Vancouver, but fierce cut throat competition from chains record stores proved to be too much for him to stay open.

Eric now resides in Toronto with his wife and our friendship has endured over the decades. We saw Diana Ross during the early dates of her North American Tour back in May, 2011 some 47 [[!!!) years after the Expo '67 performances we saw. Diana was as stunning as ever.

The Roy Thompson Hall where she performed was sold out. The venue has a stage that juts out, so does not have a proper curtain. For the Ross show, a makeshift curtain hung on a steel wire was set up, so instead of being lifted up, it fell down and, and was dragged off the stage.

Eric scored two seats on an upper balcony, which was somehow located behind this makeshift curtain. So from our vantage point, we were able to see the musicians and background singers setting up on stage. There was the stage set with the stair case, and from my vantage point, I could see what appeared to be kind of an elevator shaft.

As the band tuned up, I could see movement at the bottom of this elevator shaft, and I saw Diana's hand frantically fluffing up her iconic hairdo before being hoisted up to the top of the set , then the curtain fell, the graphics screen behind her lit up, and she strutted down the stairs.

During that visit, to Toronto, I checked out the infamous wall mural/graffiti site that runs for what seemed like a mile of downtown alleys to me. Some of the graphics are simply stunning, and some even had imagery of Michael Jackson.

So, there you have it!
    Mark, thanks. I was going to guess near Yonge Street too. I am familiar with that area. Please share more of your memories. This is all great stuff!

I was at Expo '67 as a kid also, and don't remember seeing any advertisement. They did perform for The Ed Sullivan Show shown on TV May 07 1967 which featured Diana, Mary & Flo and they sang The Happening as well as a medley: Thoroughly Modern Millie/Gypsy Rose/Mame. This appearance is not available on Dvd but is on YouTube.
    This was Florence's last appearance on Ed Sullivan. I know Cindy made her first appearance April 27 for a Hollywood Benefit show, so this may have been taped earier on. Is seems odd to see Florence after Cindy had stepped in.

Quote Originally Posted by noel181 View Post
    I was at Expo '67 as a kid also, and don't remember seeing any advertisement. They did perform for The Ed Sullivan Show shown on TV May 07 1967 which featured Diana, Mary & Flo and they sang The Happening as well as a medley: Thoroughly Modern Millie/Gypsy Rose/Mame. This appearance is not available on Dvd but is on YouTube.
    This was Florence's last appearance on Ed Sullivan. I know Cindy made her first appearance April 27 for a Hollywood Benefit show, so this may have been taped earier on. Is seems odd to see Florence after Cindy had stepped in.
    Florence was asked to come back into the Supremes, by Diana and Mary, a week after Cindy made her debut. She stayed with the group for two more months before she was officially fired.