[REMOVE ADS]

~ * ~ under exposed artist's ~ * ~

We've had the "underrated" artist's, what about the "UNDER EXPOSED", artist's that are really highly rated by lack proper exposure.

* LITTLE JIMMY SCOTT / JIMMY SCOTT is a perfect example of this, obviously never underrated because so many Artist's that followed him cited him as their sole or biggest influence in many decades as well as in different genres but mostly for his soulful style singing from his true heart, as well as in the catagories of Group Harmony leads, in R & B, in Pop, and in Jazz genres.
    * Jimmy has always been highly rated especially from his Peers as well as future Artist's that came later. I think most of you know who those Artist's are, the list is too long to write down so I'll just name a few of his admirer's Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughn, Gloria Lynn, Big Maybelle, James Shepherd, Jimmy Charles, Frankie Lymon, Little Anthony, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Frankie Valli, Prince, and the list can go on forever............

Little Jimmy Scott [[1949) ~
    Name:  young jimmy 01JPG.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  21.8 KB

Legendary Jimmy Scott ~
    Name:  large- look to sky singing-2001 [[Small).jpg
Views: 216
Size:  24.3 KB

WHO DO YOU THINK IS "UNDER EXPOSED", YET HIGHLY RATED?

s.s.

By underexposed do you mean artists who didn't do a lot of TV appearances or didn't get magazine covers, etc? Mr. Scott didn't do a lot of TV back in the day, but he's written a book, had a documentary film and got articles written about him. He is highly rated or revered by many. Mel Carter is someone who is underexposed, so is Billy Davis Jr., and Betty Wright.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-16-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Kam,
    In Jimmy's case he was revered by his peers, critics, & music industry insiders but he never got the exposure to land him the kind of big ticket shots that would have made him a household name and financialy well off as did some others, case in point Nancy Wilson who studied, copied Jimmy's style of phrasing and says herself her style came soley from Little Jimmy Scott. Nancy got her own T.V. Show, some film work [[as did Jimmy but small time), a lot of lucritive high profile concert gigs such as her birthday at Carnegie Hall, and has been sought after by record companies and high profile events such as gigs for the NEA, Kennedy Center' main stage, Hollywood Bowl, etc... etc...
    Of course, Jimmy hit a lot of unfortunate pittfalls such as Herman Lubinsky, Sr. [[Savoy Records) blocking his career and brake-through album done by and on Ray Charles label, that album was to make his career blow-up in 1963, considered one of the "Top 3 Jazz albums of all time". Jimmy although revered was never given the proper exposure to earn big money Nancy and some others have.

Jimmy was also Mel Carter's mentor, another great singer, I agree with you there.
    Mel studied under Jimmy's tutelage when he was 16 years old. Same with Jimmy Charles when he was 12 years old.

Of course, the fans who know him, his music adore him.

S.S.
    Last edited by Soul Sister; 08-16-2013 at 07:19 PM.

I think the following are rated highly but didn't make it as big as they could or should have, to name a few:

THE O'JAYS ~ Should have been just as famous as The Temptations, making the same kind of money.

THE SHIRELLES ~ Should have been just as big as The Supremes [[who are "over rated")!

JACKIE WILSON ~ Was big to a point 'back in the day' but his career was screwed up too, he's all but forgotten today. A great talent and lovely voice! Got a bad deal!!!

Ray Charles said, "it was timing, a matter of luck to be in the right place at the right time."
    * Many artists who could have been bigger got screwed over by record companies, producers, & managers. Never getting the 'right promotion or proper exposure', only going by whatever comes from a hit record than nothing without another hit record but still "never big, never the correct money" that comes with better gigs/venues, just leaving them broke later in life, if they make it to later in life, lol...

WHO DO YOU THINK DIDN'T GET THE RIGHT EXPOSURE?

S.S.

Hi sis,i would be here all day if i thought about those little exposed stars...the fawns...ruby and the romantics...patti labelle and the blubells...chuck jackson...the lovelites...little anthony and the imperials...the unifics...the artistics...the moments...the softones...brook benton...carla thomas.

LOL..... R&B, the question is those that are highly rated by "under exposed", I think Patti has been plenty exposed.
    I agree with Little Anthony & Brook Benton.
    I'll add Walter Jackson.

S.S.