[REMOVE ADS]

George Duke R.I.P.

Last edited by caliluv; 08-06-2013 at 06:34 AM.

I just read about this....I am STUNNED....My man.....dam.....
    :::::::hearing "Dukey Stick" inside my head:::::::

RIP...

This is a big one! I was listening to "Reach For It" this past weekend. He will be missed. Rest in peace George and thanks man for the great music!

Marv

I'm stunned. He will be missed as you say Marv. George wasn't that old and of course has consistently played a part in making new music with others as well as his own albums. A major loss. Thank you George.

Every morning I try to prepare myself to deal with some f**Ked up news and either in the daily duties or on the web it comes without fail so today I am really pissed as well as stunned. If all that George is remembered for is his P-funk mock up Dukey Stick, though I
    like and have it too, I think that would be the worst insult. He was a fine jazz pianist too and
    put in serious work behind his cousin, one of my favorite singers, the divine Dianne Reeves.
    RIP, George, I'm missing you badly already...

Shocking and sad. I still listen to Movin' On quite often. Another great talent gone.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Every morning I try to prepare myself to deal with some f**Ked up news and either in the daily duties or on the web it comes without fail so today I am really pissed as well as stunned. If all that George is remembered for is his P-funk mock up Dukey Stick, though I
    like and have it too, I think that would be the worst insult. He was a fine jazz pianist too and
    put in serious work behind his cousin, one of my favorite singers, the divine Dianne Reeves.
    RIP, George, I'm missing you badly already...

Um, so what is you sayin'? I know what other music he did - it was just one of many songs I thought of that he did so don't start no shit where none exists....

so sad, saw him in Amsterdam last time a few years ago.
    The red album was my first vinyl, i'll miss the man. From Zappa, to Jazz, Funk, R&B, he did it all with his own signiture.

rest in peace and thanks for so much music, and the big smile

My heart is sad this morning upon hearing this news. May the God of comfort be with his family at this time.

Very sad news .. and even more poignant as he has just released some tremendous new music.

Here is a great track called "Jazzmatazz" that I heard for the first time last weekend.

RIP - GEORGE DUKE

Roger

What a shock!

thomas96 Guest
    Wow. This is a tragedy. RIP George.

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    Um, so what is you sayin'? I know what other music he did - it was just one of many songs I thought of that he did so don't start no shit where none exists....
    Dang, chill, GrtGzu!
    My response wasn't a personal attack on you. I was and am still talking about with popular media in general. You know how print and web media like to gather focus on one highligtht
    of a person's career even with the living. To this day Bobby Mcferrin cannot stand people
    always bringing up Don't Worry Be Happy whenever they interview him. Pop culture's
    tendency to stereotype everything has long been a pain to me...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Dang, chill, GrtGzu!
    My response wasn't a personal attack on you. I was and am still talking about with popular media in general. You know how print and web media like to gather focus on one highligtht
    of a person's career even with the living. To this day Bobby Mcferrin cannot stand people
    always bringing up Don't Worry Be Happy whenever they interview him. Pop culture's
    tendency to stereotype everything has long been a pain to me...
    Hmm..well ok...you had mentioned you were pissed and stunned, and then went into what you said with a song that I just HAPPENED to think about, so it was definately a "wtf moment" for me....I get what you mean now...Thanks for the clarification.....

"Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written Death is swallowed up in victory.”

Go home in victory to your Fathers mansion George Duke for he is waiting to receive you.

Roberta

Bad news. Splanky was on point, not that "Dukey Stick" is a bad testament to George Duke, but he was a truly remarkable jazzman. He, like Herbie Hancock, refused to shackle himself to the music that purists would appreciate and played any genre of music that he enjoyed. Good thing, because others enjoyed it also. The first album I thought about was "One Night Stand: A Keyboard Event" that he participated in with many of yesteryear's greatest keyboardists/pianists. He was extremely talented and will truly be missed. RIP.

Terribly, terribly sad news. Just a year after his wife too. I didn't know he was battling cancer and was still booking gigs [[he was scheduled to be in Chicago this past Saturday). Wow, in some ways life is just too, too short.

Well, in memory of one the all time great groove masters, check out this one played at the WTTW studios a few years backL

First of all, major condolences goes out to his entire famiy.

But once again, I have a different take on this:

While GD created a body of work that is exemplary on many levels, I'm obviously partial towards his venture into the world of Funk, which is why many people outside the Jazz realm know his name. And unlike many of his contemporaries who pursued the adult contemporary/smooth jazz world to fatten their pockets, GD chose the more rugged and complex road that is Funk. And it wasn't just for financial gain either. He had a sincere love for the Funk, showcased beautifully on the 2008 CD "Dukey Treats". The Funk displayed on the title track alone is truly cold blooded and supreme. And his success in that field opened a lot of peoples eyes to his back catalog. To me, that represents the bigger picture.

Shine On George Duke.
    Master of the Game!
    Last edited by timmyfunk; 08-07-2013 at 03:42 PM.

What is really wild is that he was scheduled to do BB Kings here in NYC on 8/10. Wow.

I cant believe this. There was a time when this guy never cleared my record deck. I wore those records out. I saw the thread title and my head dropped. He was a star. "Reach for it" would make my top 20 LPs. So funky. I haven't been so fed up since I heard Edwin Starr had passed on.

RIP George, Thanks for all of it. You cost me bomb!

George Duke left us with an impressive amount of music in his catalog. I liked his productions with Jeffrey Osborne, Deniece Williams & A Taste Of Honey and others.

May he RIP.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.

George Duke was at the Hollywood Bowl for the Playboy Jazz Festival and he and Jeffrey Osborne shut it down on Saturday night. You could tell George had lost some weight because his suit fit him rather big, but he was looking good and moving about the stage very well. His showman ship was top notch and really enjoyed his vocals on "Sweet Baby". This musical legend will truly be missed. RIP MR Duke

Another great one lost. The foundation of Black Music is slowly fading away. Mr. Duke was one of the die hard jazz musicians who embraced and helped to develop what we know as the FUNK by incorporating the intricate parts of jazz with the rawness of FUNK. One of the masters who refined FUNK with his knowledge of the actual art and science of music . He is one of those who gave CLASS to FUNK and R&B. May he rest in peace and his contribution be understood and recognized for how important it was to the music ,indiginious to both the genres of Jazz and Funk.

Another great one lost. The foundation of Black Music is slowly fading away. Mr. Duke was one of the die hard jazz musicians who embraced and helped to develop what we know as the FUNK by incorporating the intricate parts of jazz with the rawness of FUNK. One of the masters who refined FUNK with his knowledge of the actual art and science of music . He is one of those who gave CLASS to FUNK and R&B. May he rest in peace and his contribution be understood and recognized for how important it was to the music ,indiginious to both the genres of Jazz and Funk.