[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Diana Ross dazzles at the Hollywood Bowl

Diana Ross dazzles at the Hollywood Bowl
    By Greg Hernandez on Aug 4, 2013 2:51 pm

At 69, Diana Ross doesn’t dance and run around the stage the way that she used to and has the costume changes down to about three or four.

But that marvelous voice and larger-than-life stage presence is still intact as the crowd at last night’s sold out concert at The Hollywood Bowl was happy to discover.

We were in the cheap seats way in the back at The Bowl – a completely new experience for me. Back where we sat, people did not hold back – there was unabashed dancing and singing from the first number to the last and a wonderful camaraderie that seemed to instantly develop.

One of my favorite moments from last night was when my friend, David Trudell, leaped up and started dancing to Diana’s classic disco hit The Boss – pointing his finger at the lady in the row in front of us who was also dancing and had been channeling Miss Ross from the very first number.

We all did the Supremes choreography during Stop! In the Name of Love and boogied during Love Hangover, Take Me Higher, I Will Survive and Upside Down.

Other Supremes hits performed last night were Love Child, Where Did Our Love Go, You Can’t Hurry Love, My World is Empty Without You and Baby Love.

A real highlight of the show was Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, Miss Ross’s first number one hit as a solo artist. She also performed her next solo number ones: Touch Me in the Morning and Theme From Mahogany.

She did a beautiful Don’t Explain from Lady Sings the Blues but did not perform the sublime Good Morning Heartache.

When you have as many hits as Miss Ross, there is not time to do them all. The group of women in front of us were waiting to hear Muscles and I had to tell them she has not done song that in concert in years.

She also long ago stopped doing Reach Out and Touch during which she would wade into the audience and have some real touchy feely moments. These days Miss Ross doesn’t talk much to the audience except when introducing band members.

But we were surprised she did not perform the big hit ballads Missing You, It’s My Turn or Endless Love or the dance song Chain Reaction which she used to open concerts with at one point.

The show was a family affair with the star’s actress daughter, Tracee Ellis Ross, serving as a charming and funny hostess. She introduced the opening act which was her sister, Rhonda Ross as well as her brother, Evan Ross.

Both are talented and solid but nowhere near as unique or charismatic as their famous mom who, let’s face it, is one of a kind.

http://greginhollywood.com/diana-ros...n+Hollywood%29

Diana Ross' Kids in a Sitdown for the First Time

By RAPHAEL CHESTANG

August 05, 2013

ET gained access to Diana Ross' one-night-only event at the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, gathering all five of Ross' children for their very first interview together.

It was a complete family affair as Ross, Tracee Ellis, Evan, Rhonda and Chudney all showered their mother with the highest praise.

PICS: Candid Celeb Sightings

"Our mom is a mom before she's anything else, so I think that created a sense of normalcy for us," Tracee said when asked what it was like growing up. "The legacy that my mom leaves and what people know of her from her career doesn't really hold a candle to who she is as a mother and as a person."

Some of the kids even took part in the concert: Rhonda sang and Tracee Ellis introduced her brother Evan before he performed for only the second time in his budding career.

"It was fun!" said Evan, whose new single Truth Is will be released this fall. "I'm super excited that I'm not in front of that many people anymore."

"Tonight there was this full-circle experience to be apart of what we grew up watching our mom do," said Tracee. "To be apart of it in that special way was kind of magical."

As for their mom being known as a "diva," Tracee said, "If diva means on time, prepared, always professional, graceful, sophisticated, elegant ... then I would love to be a diva, too."

Watch the video for more.

http://www.etonline.com/news/136856_...ime/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'll have to watch these videos.

I'm wondering if we all caused Marv to get some pills, check into the pysch ward, get really drunk or just go even more bonkers...................cuz it seems you all drove him wild.

As Diana once said: "Good showwwwwwwwwwwwww"
    I just think you are nuts. I posted a legitimate review that pokes holes all through your "goddess theory", that shows that Diana Ross is just another aging singer doing her same old schtick! You turn it into a religious crusade. Supremester has already gone on record saying that he prefers to worship Diana Ross than worship God Almighty! Now you tell me who needs some serious help! LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 08-06-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks for the ET video David ......Sweet............!!! Love fest !!!!

This clip for the ET interview is not what they showed on TV. On the telecast they started with a clip of Diana singing I'm coming out and then showed some of the chain reaction video. They did show a shortened version of the interview with her kids, clips of Evan and Rhonda singing, and then Diana again. They also showed a clip of Diana speaking from the last interview they did with her, and a clip of her on the red carpet.

Reviews that come from someone who has conveyed that they hate certain entertainers have no credibility just like reviews that come from obvious fans. Who believes them except for others who also have agendas and grudges? Same thing in reverse for those who just love everything that someone does? Of course you will be critical because you don't like someone to begin with. Of course you loved someone in concert and liked everything they do because you just do; Neither can be objective.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-06-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Reviews that come from someone who has conveyed that they hate Diana Ross have no credibility. Who believes them except for others who also have agendas and grudges? Of course you will be critical because you don't like someone to begin with. Stay out of threads about Diana Ross if she's not who you like.
    Especially when they cherry pick out a few lines that make them look not so good. I love Gladys knights recordings but dont care for Gladys Knight much as a live performer as I think shes real phony on stage and talk to darned much. I saw her in Vegas at the Flamingo and she talked for at least a third of the show and it came across to me as real fake and rehearse. This is only my opinion folks and Im only speaking for me.

I dont post in any threads relating to Gladys Knight live performances or Gladys knight concert threads because I dont have anything good to offer or say so I stay out of them. Its real easy for me to do this as im not obsessed with Gladys Knight like the person who is completely obsess with Diane Ross and ruin every Diane Ross thread.

If you dont like a performer then stay out of the thread that realate to that performer.

Sincerely.

Roberta

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Especially when they cherry pick out a few lines that make them look not so good. I love Gladys knights recordings but dont care for Gladys Knight much as a live performer as I think shes real phony on stage and talk to darned much. I saw her in Vegas at the Flamingo and she talked for at least a third of the show and it came across to me as real fake and rehearse. This is only my opinion folks and Im only speaking for me.

I dont post in any threads relating to Gladys Knight live performances or Gladys knight concert threads because I dont have anything good to offer or say so I stay out of them. Its real easy for me to do this as im not obsessed with Gladys Knight like the person who is completely obsess with Diane Ross and ruin every Diane Ross thread.

If you dont like a performer then stay out of the thread that realate to that performer.

Sincerely.

Roberta
    That's why I always say don't feed or engage with these known trolls because it just encourages them. I think it would serve us all if we ALL just ignored their comments. They always hijack the threads with their hatred and bitterness.

They'll just come into the threads and hijack them anyway. They are mental! But Ross fans gave 'em hell this time- so much so- they didn't know how to respond other than resorting to name calling and tossing out threats that my Aunt Fannie wouldn't take seriously. SO IMMATURE.
    I'M PUTTING THEM BACK on ignore.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 08-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Check out PHOTO #7 in this batch to see the great platform shoes in the Saturday show--they're a stage all to themselves:

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/Enter...ood-Bowl/7829/

OR

Here's a direct link right to the shoes . . . The Shoes . . . THE SHOES:

http://ph.cdn.photos.upi.com/collect...d-Bowl_7_1.jpg
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 08-07-2013 at 04:23 AM.

The show's finale--I WILL SURVIVE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9bgJRqqJA

Thanks to Japangelito for the YouTube posting.

Main Set
    I’m Coming Out [[excerpt) [[from Diana, 1980)
    My World Is Empty Without You [[from I Hear a Symphony, 1966)
    Where Did Our Love Go? [[from Where Did Our Love Go?, 1964)
    Baby Love [[from Where Did Our Love Go?, 1964)
    Stop! In the Name of Love [[from More Hits By the Supremes, 1965)
    You Can’t Hurry Love [[from The Supremes A’ Go-Go, 1966)
    Touch Me in the Morning [[from Touch Me In the Morning, 1973)
    Love Hangover [[from Diana Ross, 1976)
    The Boss [[from The Boss, 1979)
    It’s My House [[from The Boss, 1979)
    What About Love [[from I Love You, 2006)
    More Today Than Yesterday [[from I Love You, 2006)
    Upside Down [[from Diana, 1980)
    Ease on Down the Road [[from The Wiz Soundtrack, 1978)
    My Man [[from Lady Sings the Blues, 1972)
    Don’t Explain [[from Lady Sings the Blues, 1972)
    Why Do Fools Fall in Love? [[from Why Do Fools Fall in Love?, 1981)
    Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You’re Going To?) [[from Diana Ross, 1976)
    Ain’t No Mountain High Enough [[from Diana Ross, 1970)

Encore
    I Will Survive [[from Take Me Higher, 1995)

How in the world does any woman walk in shoes like that and still remain elegant ? Hats off to the Queen .....

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Check out PHOTO #7 in this batch to see the great platform shoes in the Saturday show--they're a stage all to themselves:

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/Enter...ood-Bowl/7829/

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Main Set
    I’m Coming Out [[excerpt) [[from Diana, 1980)
    My World Is Empty Without You [[from I Hear a Symphony, 1966)
    Where Did Our Love Go? [[from Where Did Our Love Go?, 1964)
    Baby Love [[from Where Did Our Love Go?, 1964)
    Stop! In the Name of Love [[from More Hits By the Supremes, 1965)
    You Can’t Hurry Love [[from The Supremes A’ Go-Go, 1966)
    Touch Me in the Morning [[from Touch Me In the Morning, 1973)
    Love Hangover [[from Diana Ross, 1976)
    The Boss [[from The Boss, 1979)
    It’s My House [[from The Boss, 1979)
    What About Love [[from I Love You, 2006)
    More Today Than Yesterday [[from I Love You, 2006)
    Upside Down [[from Diana, 1980)
    Ease on Down the Road [[from The Wiz Soundtrack, 1978)
    My Man [[from Lady Sings the Blues, 1972)
    Don’t Explain [[from Lady Sings the Blues, 1972)
    Why Do Fools Fall in Love? [[from Why Do Fools Fall in Love?, 1981)
    Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You’re Going To?) [[from Diana Ross, 1976)
    Ain’t No Mountain High Enough [[from Diana Ross, 1970)

Encore
    I Will Survive [[from Take Me Higher, 1995)
    Her setlist from the Hollywood Bowl was the same except she also did "Come see about me", "Love Child", "The Look of Love" and "Take me Higher". She didn't do "What about love" , "My Man", or "It's my house".
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-08-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Sincerely.

Roberta
    I wish we all could be so pure and have dimples on our ass like you!

Miss Ross remains the Queen Of Motown!....
    and guess who remains The King Of The Trolls?..ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA!
    it seems to be a tie on this thread, two stumbling around drunks who weren't invited to the party, but just never know when to leave!..SO Sad!...Fear not, she won't be taking away any trailer park gigs from old what's her name, who is probably clawing the walls over all the Ross Mania!

"I Will Survive says its all"
    Who is that that comes to the stage at the end was that Rhonda and Evan ??
    I could not make out the gentleman that was with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    The show's finale--I WILL SURVIVE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9bgJRqqJA

Thanks to Japangelito for the YouTube posting.

Review: Diana Ross delights fans in San Francisco

By Jim Harrington
    jharrington@bayareanewsgroup.com

Posted: 08/07/2013 01:42:00 AM PDT
    Updated: 08/07/2013 01:42:01 AM PDT

Diana Ross review Aug 6 2013
    There's something to be said for efficiency.
    Diana Ross was only onstage Tuesday at the SHN Golden Gate Theatre in San Francisco for some 80 minutes. Yet, she still managed to pack plenty of punch -- as well as many of the best songs in popular music history -- into the evening.
    That's not to say that she played everything fans wanted to hear. It would take something like 80 hours, not 80 minutes, to completely cover all of her many bases. Still, Ross used her time quite wisely and fans appeared to leave the building feeling like they'd gotten their money's worth.

Plus, they still could've caught a movie and been home before the baby sitter had to leave. So check local listings before heading out to see Ross on Wednesday at the same venue. [[Diana Ross concert tickets, priced at $70-$265, are available at www.shnsf.com.)
    I was told that the show would start promptly at 8 p.m. -- and that was no joke. The houselights actually dimmed at 7:57 p.m. It was over by 9:21 p.m.
    During that time, Ross managed to strut through four glamorous wardrobes and some 20 triumphant tunes. She was a spectacular diva throughout — although, presumably one who wanted to be in bed by 10 p.m.

She kicked off the show in fitting fashion, announcing her entrance with the Nile Rodgers-and-Bernard Edwards-crafted disco classic "I'm Coming Out" from 1980's smash "Diana." She appeared alongside a 12-piece band, featuring a four-piece horn section and three backing vocalists, wearing a sensational red dress and a matching bow-like wrap. She looked like a Christmas present on heels.
    She quickly continued through "More Today Than Yesterday," the old Spiral Starecase tune that Ross has turned into one of her anthems, before launching into the really good stuff — a five-song set of Supremes songs.

The Supremes numbers were the highlight of the show. Ross, who was elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the Supremes, brought back a flood of classic Motown memories as she crooned through, in order, "My World Is Empty Without You," "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Stop! In the Name of Love" and "You Can't Hurry Love."
    All of those songs are dated -- but in a good way. It's absolutely delicious how they evoke an era when magic was routinely delivered in three minute doses on the AM radio. And Ross certainly did justice to all of these legendary songs.
    It was amazing how many wardrobe changes she worked into such a relatively brief set. The red number gave way to a sparkly blue evening gown, which she wore while singing the still-potent former chart-topper "Upside Down" [[also from "Diana") and the fun "Ease on Down the Road" [[from the 1975 Broadway musical, "The Wiz").

She'd then don a wild feathery yellow dress, which seemed tailor made for a big dance routine with Big Bird, as she nestled into the jazzy portion of the show. She did a fine job with the Burt Bacharach and Hal David composition "The Look of Love," which was originally made famous by Dusty Springfield, and even better with "Don't Explain" [[which she recorded for the soundtrack to her Billie Holiday biopic, 1972's "Lady Sings the Blues").
    The last outfit of the night was a lively orange gown, which she wore while bringing the set to a close with the fan favorites "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)," "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "I Will Survive."
    Well, at least it appeared that would be the last outfit — as well as the last few songs. I don't believe that Ross originally intended to come back onstage, yet this exuberant crowd simply demanded more.

Ross eventually agreed to do one more, appearing onstage in a simple black blouse and matching pants -- which looked like an outfit she'd wear back to the hotel. She was tired, and asked for a chair to be brought out onstage. Yet, she still managed to summon up the energy to sing "I Love You [[That's All That Really Matters)" for her fans.
    And the feeling was most definitely mutual.
    Last edited by David J; 08-07-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Her setlist from the Hollywood Bowl was the same except she also did "Come see about me", "Love Child", "The Look of Love" and "Take me Higher". She didn't do "What about love" , "My Man", or "It's my house".
    Oh how could I forget she also did "It's so hard for me to say". One of my favorites.

smark21 Guest
    I’m late to the party on this one [[and I see it became the usual Supremes related thread bitchfight) as I’ve been in California on vacation, but I did attend the show at Hollywood Bowl and here are my thoughts on the show:

I've seen Diana Ross live 4 times now and I thought this was the
    best I've seen her. She seemed completely on, her voice was in excellent shape
    and she was totally engaged with the audience and her performance and was
    enjoying herself. No doubt because she had family backstage and in the audience.
    Two of the friends who went with me to the show met Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson during intermission. And we spotted Ross Naess looking dapper in a bow tie in the audience. As always "Don't Explain" was the highlight of the set. Diana performed 7 Supremes songs including "Come See About Me". She had video screens and a live horn section. All in all a fine performance. My only quibble is that I wish there had been a
    couple more songs from Lady Sings [[she only did one) and that she would cut "Why
    Do Fools" from the set list--it's an abrupt transition from the jazz part of the
    show. She should make Look of Love the exit song and let the sax player do a
    long solo as she's off stage doing a costume change.

There were 3 opening acts and Tracy Ross Ellis was the emcee for the evening.
    Tracy is a very engaging performer, very funny. She had the crowd in her hands.
    Best bit was right before intermission she told the audience it will last only
    20 minutes as her mother is very prompt.
    Rhonda Ross opened the show with a couple of songs. She's a good singer and
    performer. She's better suited for a jazz club, but she did fine, performance
    wise. Her material, on the other hand, was pretty bad. Very preachy Secrets of a
    Sparrow type of lyrics. She should stick to standards and
    stop preaching.
    The middle act was an a capella group that was on some reality
    singing competition. They were good and warmed up the crowd.
    Then Evan Ross closed the opening part of the night. He was not good. He's inherited his
    mother's early nasal singing style, but not her stage presence and charisma. He
    came on stage [[after the sun had set) wearing shades and stood there gripping
    his mic for much of his set, barely moving. He did sing the Susaye Greene song
    "I Can't Help It". Evan needs a lot of work and frankly singers like Justin Timberlake
    and Robin Thicke are filling the niche Evan is trying to go for [[his album comes
    out next month). Perhaps Evan should stick to acting and spending his parents'
    money rather than sing? We shall see what happens. But he really needs to work
    on his performance--and ditch the shades. Alex from Franz Ferdinand said it well
    in a recent interview: If you can't look at an audience in the eyes when you go
    on stage, then you shouldn't be on stage.
    But Diana Ross had the audience eating out of her hands. She’s a true star [[but she could spiff up the set list!).

Smark, thank you for your informative revue. It's nice to read a review by a fan that will contain constructive criticism rather than reading fanatics fawning reviews that put the diva on a pedestal. I agree with much of your criticism. I think Why Do Foools is out of place right after Don't Explain. I think she has done the Look Of Love exit to sax solo in previous shows.

Evan's shades on stage is a complete opposite of his mom. She wants the lights turned up because she "wants to see your faces!".

As for your Supremes' bitchfight comment, you are right. This thread is the perfect example of what can happen to a perfectly good thread and topic.

But if you look closely, you'll see that this thread has become very civil since last Wednesday, as has the whole SDF board. By co-incidence, one of our members has been abscent from the board since then. It's been very peaceful and friendly here since Wednesday.

I am looking forward to seeing Diana this week.

[QUOTE=smark21;183025]
    enjoying herself. No doubt because she had family backstage and in the audience.
    Two of the friends who went with me to the show met Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson during intermission. And we spotted Ross Naess looking dapper in a bow tie in the audience. As always "Don't Explain" was the highlight of the set. Diana performed 7 Supremes songs including "Come See About Me". She had video screens and a live horn section. All in all a fine performance. My only quibble is that I wish there had been a
    couple more songs from Lady Sings [[she only did one) and that she would cut "Why
    Do Fools" from the set list--it's an abrupt transition from the jazz part of the

I agree I have seen Diana in concert about 16 times or more and this was a really good show. I would replace Why do fools with Mirror Mirror. I don't understand why "Endless love" is not on the setlist. The way she sings it live is totally amazing. In the past most of my friends would say it was their favorite of the show. "Missing you" was always better live than the record. When I first heard her sing this song live it gave me goose bumps. The first time i heard "I'ts my turn" live it sent me to heaven. I miss the wonderful ballads in her current shows.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 08-11-2013 at 03:45 PM.

I am certain Miss Ross feels revitalized by her iconic status in MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL!... it is like a B 12 shot for her!...now bring this show to Madison Square Garden, Diana Ross!!!!

Concert review: Diana Ross delivers decades’ worth of big hits in high-energy concert at PPAC

August 11, 2013 11:27 PM

Kris Craig/The Providence Journal

Diana Ross had the Providence Performing Arts Center crowd dancing in the aisles and balconies during her concert Sunday evening.

By Amanda Milkovits

Journal Staff Writer

amilkovi@providencejournal.com

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Standing in her floor-length black sequined gown, a feathered cape draping her tiny figure, Diana Ross smiled and stretched her arms at her cheering crowd at the Providence Performing Arts Center.

They’d been in her thrall since before she even crossed the stage Sunday evening, cheering and clapping for her hits — so many the soundtrack of a lifetime. Her voice had deepened with time but become richer, and she sang with passion and joy that kept the crowd rising to dance. She shimmered and glittered in her gowns, bringing glamour and a sense of real stardom alighting on a Providence stage.

The packed house wanted to see her, and some filled the aisles dancing and singing along to her Motown and disco-era anthems. They spanned generations and walks of life, united for a night of pure soul, and she seemed to glow from the audience’s energy.

And the Lady Ross wanted to see them all, too. In between each song in her hour-plus set, the house lights came on and she paused to gaze at the crowd, looking at faces, watching as they raised their hands and clapped for her.

At this moment, midway into her energized show — and her third of four costume changes — Ross addressed her audience about the lights. “They give me a chance to see your faces and your hands,” she said. “How much I love to do this, to do the thing that makes me happy. … Music has a way of bringing us all together.”

She asked them to sing along with “Do You Know Where You’re Going To,” but she didn’t need to ask; the crowd was with her. And when she segued into “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” one of her own favorites, the audience was back on its feet, flooding the aisles down below, dancing in the balcony above, and she sang so strongly it left goosebumps to see the power she had, the power her music still has.

The word “legend” becomes her. Ross was a teenager when she signed with Motown Records in 1961 with the Supremes, beginning a musical career that has arced from the early days of Motown to disco and jazz, scoring 18 number-1 hits and selling more than 100 million records.. She’s been nominated for an Academy Award for her role as Billie Holiday in “Lady Sings the Blues” and has won American Music Awards and Tony and Golden Globe awards.

With so many songs to choose from, Ross went for her hits. Opening with “I’m Coming Out,” she eased into the Supremes classics — “Baby Love,” “You Can’t Hurry Love,” “Come See About Me” and “Stop! In the Name of Love” — and the audience joined with flicks of the stop-sign hands.

Her voice was strong, as was her backing band, including three backup singers, a rhythm section, drums and a keyboardist who’s been with her the longest of the group. They eased into the sultry Billie Holiday classic “Don’t Explain” and raised the temperature with her own disco solo “Upside Down” and “Ease on Down the Road,” from The Wiz.

Each was a gem, and an example of the span of her career. She ended with “I Will Survive,” leaving the crowd on their feet, reluctant to leave.

And that is the way she left them after an hour — left them wanting more.

smark21 Guest
    A little over an hour? The show is getting shorter and shorter. Here’s a link to the article.
    http://www.providencejournal.com/bre...rt-at-ppac.ece

Note the response from Joey Tutalo below, though I suspect he’s exaggerating, but he has a point about the shortness of the performance. If Diana Ross is only able to perform for an hour, then at the very least she should have an opening act so people can get their money’s worth for a night out.

Last Best Show: Diana Ross at the Wang Theatre
    Saturday, August 10, 2013
    PrintEmail Comments [[2)
    By:
    Bill Brotherton

Love was in the air at the Wang Theatre Friday night as the legendary Miss Diana Ross brought her "Summer Greatest Hits Tour" to town, her first Boston concert in more than three years.

The show was exactly as advertised, packed with hits from both her Supremes days and her prolific solo career. A near capacity crowd was delirious with joy, and the diva, 69 years young, looked and sounded great.

At 7:55 p.m., the lights dimmed as ushers frantically tried to get concertgoers to their seats. At precisely 8 p.m., Ross' 12-piece band kicked in and the original Dreamgirl waltzed onto the stage to the sounds of "I'm Coming Out."

"Maybe she wants to be in bed by 10 o'clock," joked the woman behind me. How prophetic. The show was over by 9:20; patrons were likely disappointed by the show's length but there were few complaints about the entertainment that took place during those 80 minutes.

A series of Supremes songs early in the set was a highlight. In rapid succession, Ross delivered rousing renditions of "My World is Empty Without You," "Come See About Me," "Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Stop in the Name of Love," "You Can't Hurry Love" and a sublime "Love Child." This was no mashed-up medley, Ross and her band performed every song in its entirety.

Ross' disco-era music got a quick overview. The best moments were during "Upside Down," with four horn players going wild; it had fans dancing in the aisles. The diva herself shimmied and shook what the Good Lord -- and maybe a plastic surgeon -- gave her.

Her film career was well represented. "Ease on Down the Road" from "The Wiz" was a fan favorite, as was a smokey, jazzy cover of Billie Holliday's "Don't Explain," from her Oscar-nominated role in "Lady Sings the Blues." An abbreviated "Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" was merely a tease.

The night's pinnacle was a stirring "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," which remains one of pop music's high points. The Detroit native should have ended the evening with this song, rather than the lukewarm run-through of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive." The encore was a pleasant "Reach Out and Touch [[Somebody's Hand)" but something with more oomph was needed, maybe "Love Hangover" "I Hear a Symphony" or "Reflections."

For the fashionistas reading this, Miss Ross rocked four ensembles: a glittery red gown with multi-ruffled jacket, a spangly floor-length blue number, a sexy, revealing black formal gown, and, finally, a fab tangerine-colored hooded outfit.

With 51 years in showbiz to cover, it's understandable that Ross couldn't include every hit. I, and most of her adoring audience one assumes, just wished for a few more of her greatest hits. After all, you can't hurry love.
    - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/entertainmen....A8YxXPFC.dpuf

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I’m late to the party on this one [[and I see it became the usual Supremes related thread bitchfight) as I’ve been in California on vacation, but I did attend the show at Hollywood Bowl and here are my thoughts on the show:

There were 3 opening acts and Tracy Ross Ellis was the emcee for the evening.
    Tracy is a very engaging performer, very funny. She had the crowd in her hands.
    Best bit was right before intermission she told the audience it will last only
    20 minutes as her mother is very prompt.
    Rhonda Ross opened the show with a couple of songs. She's a good singer and
    performer. She's better suited for a jazz club, but she did fine, performance
    wise. Her material, on the other hand, was pretty bad. Very preachy Secrets of a
    Sparrow type of lyrics. She should stick to standards and
    stop preaching.
    The middle act was an a capella group that was on some reality
    singing competition. They were good and warmed up the crowd.
    Then Evan Ross closed the opening part of the night. He was not good. He's inherited his
    mother's early nasal singing style, but not her stage presence and charisma. He
    came on stage [[after the sun had set) wearing shades and stood there gripping
    his mic for much of his set, barely moving. He did sing the Susaye Greene song
    "I Can't Help It". Evan needs a lot of work and frankly singers like Justin Timberlake
    and Robin Thicke are filling the niche Evan is trying to go for [[his album comes
    out next month). Perhaps Evan should stick to acting and spending his parents'
    money rather than sing? We shall see what happens. But he really needs to work
    on his performance--and ditch the shades. Alex from Franz Ferdinand said it well
    in a recent interview: If you can't look at an audience in the eyes when you go
    on stage, then you shouldn't be on stage.
    But Diana Ross had the audience eating out of her hands. She’s a true star [[but she could spiff up the set list!).

Thank you for you real honest and real informative review smark31. It sounds like Diane Ross put on a great show and is still on top of her game. Yes the usual couple of alley cats tried to ruin a great thread but most folks are wise to them now.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta