[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lynda, Jean and Mary

I was always curious about this gown with the Supremes. It was the first time that I noticed that Jean was being singled out. Does anyone know the story behind this gown ?

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 3082
Size:  70.1 KB

topdiva1 Guest
    Maybe these gowns where made for Diana Ross and The Supremes and never worn. Perhaps by the time The Supremes became Jean, Mary, and Lynda - Motown was not spending a ton of money on The Supremes stage gowns and just dug these warehoused gowns out.

But that is just my guess - not based in any fact at all. Other than I cannot see Mary Wilson having Jean Terrel stand out in any way other than vocally. Was not the group in internal battles by then?

Of course this is just me - I might be wrong.

These were made for Jean, Mary and Cindy, but are mostly known for being worn by Jean, Mary and Lynda. Scherrie, Mary and Cindy also wore these shortly after Scherrie joined the group.

These dresses were used during the tour Mary, Jean & Lynda did with The temptations. I saw it at Shady Grove Music Fair in Maryland but I can't remember the year. The souvenier program consisted of a color 8x10 picture of The Temptations and a black & white 8x10 of The Supremes [[in these gowns). I still have a feather from Jean's dress with the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    These were made for Jean, Mary and Cindy, but are mostly known for being worn by Jean, Mary and Lynda. Scherrie, Mary and Cindy also wore these shortly after Scherrie joined the group.
    Ok I didn't know they were initially made for Jean, Mary and Cindy but that still doesn't explain why Jean's gown was different.

When Mary, Cindy & Scherrie wore them, who wore Jean's?

Scherrie wore Jean's gown.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    When Mary, Cindy & Scherrie wore them, who wore Jean's?
    Good point. I think those jackets came off and the gowns themselves looked alike. Maybe that's how they did it when Jean left? Wasn't Scherrie the lead when she came in? I think I've only seen pics of Jean, Mary and Lynda in these gowns.

Here is a picture of Scherrie, Mary and Cindy wearing the gowns. There is another picture of them without the jackets/coats.
    Name:  Tropical Lilac.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  28.6 KB

Here is a picture of Scherrie, Mary and Cindy wearing the gowns. There is another picture of them without the jackets/coats.
    Thanks for posting, Brad. I had never seen this pic.

Jeans was purple while the other two were pink or lavender.

topdiva1 Guest
    Nice picture - not the best looking gown - too much going on with these - they look cheap.

It wasn't just the jacket, the bra part was purple on Jean's as well while Lynda, Cindy and Mary's was pink.

and in the picture above it looks like Mary switch to one with the purple/blue bra.

no they occasionally wore gowns with 1 girl singled out. MJC reused the sliver and bronze gowns from the Hollywood palace show. Jeans had the silver top that "melts" into bronze below while Mary and Cindy's are bronze tops that melt into silver below

the Pink Lollipop pantsuits from Glen Campbell also came with an [[ugly) patchwork coat. Jean would sometimes wear it while the other 2 didn't. same with the brown sequin pantsuit from Mike Douglas. has a feather wrap that sometimes jean would only wear

i did think it was odd when MJC reused the "Fireworks" pantsuits - the ones from No Matter What Sign You Are. Mary took Diana's green one while Cindy and Jean used the 2 blue ones. i know they were new and certainly expensive but singling mary out on stage seemed odd. unless it was done during her solo numbers

topdiva1 Guest
    Many of the new gowns after Diana left where not tthe best in design or color choice - frankly much of them looked cheap, and not great designs at all. The investment and the design of the gowns was not on the level it had once been. The look of The Supremes changed but not always for the best or with the times.

They set no new trends in fashion as they once did - the stage wear became second rate - I think the pictures of some of these gowns speak loudly to that fact.

jonc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Many of the new gowns after Diana left where not tthe best in design or color choice - frankly much of them looked cheap, and not great designs at all. The investment and the design of the gowns was not on the level it had once been. The look of The Supremes changed but not always for the best or with the times.

They set no new trends in fashion as they once did - the stage wear became second rate - I think the pictures of some of these gowns speak loudly to that fact.
    You must have seen all those gowns in person when you were hanging out with the Supremes Tony.

How cool is that?

Which ones did you feel looked cheap? I don't think any of them looked cheap, there was just more pantsuits than anything, which was the trend at the time. Women's liberation, you know, more pants, less dresses. Also, let's keep in mind that as the 70's went on, styles became much more relaxed as the "natural look" took hold, no more maidenform torpedo bras and bouffant hair for women, straight, ironed hair, peasant blouses... and then when you get into 74/75 there was those NECK SCARVES EVERYWHERE.

topdiva1 Guest
    I just felt - that while Diana Ross set and maintained styles - The Supremes became trendy in an unflattering way. They still looked good - just not as great as they had. True styles had evovled and tastes had changed but The Supremes no longer set the tone.

smark21 Guest
    I just felt - that while Diana Ross set and maintained styles - The Supremes became trendy in an unflattering way. They still looked good - just not as great as they had. True styles had evovled and tastes had changed but The Supremes no longer set the tone.
    But did the Supremes really set the tone in the late 60's with their elaborate, glitzy gowns and the wigs? They looked a lot older than their actual ages and they were often accused of being sell outs and forgetting they were black.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    But did the Supremes really set the tone in the late 60's with their elaborate, glitzy gowns and the wigs? They looked a lot older than their actual ages and they were often accused of being sell outs and forgetting they were black.
    Exactly, and people act like the Supremes were the first black women to put on an elegant evening gown, and nothing could be further from the truth:

Good Points. I think the mass success of the Supremes overshadowed others and they were doing rock and roll yet in a different way--more mainstream I guess. Which makes me think they dont really get credit for bringing rock and roll more to the masses. Other women sang more jazzy, pure pop stuff. The Surpemes were more like female Beatles so to speak.

i think that the girls still has a high quality look post- Ross. I also think many of the outfits post-ross were ghastly! lol but i don't think they looked cheap. like the "cotton candy" outfit the girls wore on soul train to sing Early Morning Love and all. it's that 1-shoulder gown with the bell bottom pants underneath. horrid but i will at least say it doesn't look cheap.

i do have to say that the red sequin gowns that they got when Scherrie joined did look cheap. these were the ones MSC wore on merv Griffin. and then MSS wore on that taping of the Montreaux Jazz festival. when compared to the red sequin gown DMF wore on r&h special and also on Hollywood Palace singing You Keep Me Hangin On, it's a far cry. those 60s outfits were beyond crammed full of sequins. the 70s version looks like red sequin material you could have picked up on a bolt at Calico Corner

topdiva1 Guest
    Correct - calico corners u While the early Supreme and Diana Ross and the SUpremes gowns were custom hand sewn single sequins or bugle beads the latter gowns where "glitter by the yard". The gowns was one part of the look that helped make them famous - I would say The Supremes "look" was at least 50 per cent of it. Many people tuned in first to see what they would wear, and second how they looked [[ make up, wigs) and last what they sang - take all of that blend it together on a highly styled level and you have Diana Ross and The Supremes.

Correct - calico corners u While the early Supreme and Diana Ross and the SUpremes gowns were custom hand sewn single sequins or bugle beads the latter gowns where "glitter by the yard". The gowns was one part of the look that helped make them famous - I would say The Supremes "look" was at least 50 per cent of it. Many people tuned in first to see what they would wear, and second how they looked [[ make up, wigs) and last what they sang - take all of that blend it together on a highly styled level and you have Diana Ross and The Supremes.
    I disagree.... only shallow gay men tuned in to see what they would wear, and what their hair looked like. Everyone else tuned in to hear the song and see a good stage performance. I DO agree about the red sequin gowns from the 70's. Those did look cheap. But that was an exception, and not the rule. These two certainly look great:

I thought I would post pictures of the gowns I saw from Mary's collection when I worked with them over the summer. It will give a better idea of what we do and don't have. These gowns were what were in storage. The other gowns are currently on display in Mary's exhibit.

1.) Pink Bows - the only set of gowns from DMF era that I came across
    Name:  Supreme Gown #5.jpg
Views: 2619
Size:  37.7 KB

2.) "Black Swirl" – One is currently on display. The other two were in storage.
    Name:  Black Swirl.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  23.9 KB

3.) "TCB Green Swirl" - One is currently on display. The other two were in storage.
    Name:  TCB Green Swirl.jpg
Views: 3921
Size:  24.9 KB

4.) “Sullivan’s Delight” – One is currently on display. The other two were in storage.
    Name:  Sullivan's Delight.jpg
Views: 2355
Size:  22.5 KB

5.) "Orange Freeze” - One is currently on display. The other two were in storage. One of the yellow shirts had "Diane" marked on the tag.
    Name:  Orange Freeze.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  12.6 KB

5.) "Multi-Color Halters" - One is currently on display. The other two were in storage.
    Name:  Multi-colored Halters.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  24.3 KB

6.) "Red Satin Twilight" - These were a dark, yet bright deep red color. They were never on display in any of the exhibits.
    Name:  Red Satin Twilight.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  17.9 KB

7.) "Chocolate Feathers" - These were brown, but almost looked like a dark green.
    Name:  Chocolate Feathers.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  25.1 KB

8.) "Red Hot Jumpsuit" - Only Mary's jumpsuit survives
    Name:  Red Hot Jumpsuit.jpg
Views: 2336
Size:  14.8 KB

9.) "Bugle Beads" - Only saw 1 of these and it had the sleeves removed.
    Name:  Bugle Beads.jpg
Views: 2873
Size:  31.0 KB

10.) "Tigeress Gowns" - These had detachable sleeves
    Name:  Tigeress Gowns.jpg
Views: 2725
Size:  24.4 KB

11.) "Gold & White Sequins" - Cindy's gown is on display. The other two gowns and feather coats were in storage.
    Name:  Gold & White Sequins.jpg
Views: 4569
Size:  36.1 KB

12.) "Sunburst" - Scherrie's yellow and Mary's white gowns were in storage. Cindy's orange was on display
    Name:  Sunburst Gowns.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  20.9 KB

13.) "Red Embers"
    Name:  Red Embers.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  9.2 KB

14.) "Slinky Sexy Dress" - These were in horrible condition. Not fit for display. They are in desperate need of repair.
    Name:  Slinky Sexy.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  27.8 KB

15.) "Zebra Print Gowns"
    Name:  Zebra Print.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  22.8 KB

16.) "Opera Coats"
    Name:  Opera Coats.jpg
Views: 2648
Size:  30.2 KB

17.) "Jesus Robes"
    Name:  Jesus Robes.jpg
Views: 2263
Size:  19.4 KB

18.) “Cotton Candy”
    Name:  Cotton Candy.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  22.7 KB

19.) “Crème de-Menthe” – Four in the set. The three worn by Scherrie, Mary and Cindy are on display. The fourth was Mary’s strapless gown before her pregnancy which was in storage.
    Name:  Creme de-Menthe.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  21.4 KB

20.) “Blue Icicle Fringe” – Worn on 'Udo Live 77.' One is on display. The other two were in storage.
    Name:  Blue Icicles Fringe.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  13.3 KB

21.) "Outer-Space" - The collars were multi-colored stripes [[similar to candy canes in pattern) with sequins and beads. They also had silver, blue and pink shiny cloth as the dress.
    Name:  Outer Space.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  5.3 KB

No pictures for:
    22.) Hair Folly – One giant big gown with silver, metallic sequins with three holes to slip over their heads with orange, yellow and red sequined flames on the sides. Used as a parody of “White Boys” from HAIR. Used only once in Vegas.

23.) Black & Sequined Tuxedos – These were used in the Mary, Scherrie and Susaye era. I’ve seen pictures of them, but I can’t seem to locate any.

There were also lots of belts, gloves, feathered fans, hats, several wigs and lots of shoes with names still taped inside. [[Saw a lot of Jean's, Cindy's, Mary's, and Lynda's. I did see one pair that belonged to Diana.)

Brad, what a great post. It shows that in fact, there were many great gowns from the 70's. I hope that Mary can either display or least photograph the "Red satin twilight", because as far as I know, no color pictures of that one are known to exist. And you know something... Cotton Candy DOESN'T LOOK BAD AT ALL when you lose the pants underneath! Don't you all agree?

I'm really bad at dresses; I didn't care much about what they wore and was there for the music.

From what I see, there was som kind of downturn in what they were wearing in the 70's; but it might have been the 70's and a certain dowdy look that was prevalent in the 70's; some of these pictures look pretty good; buth things like cotton candy and the opera coats look [[sorry my descriptions are bad) but they look dowdy, weak, crappy; and the sunburst and the tigress gowns too.

But I bet it was just the 70's disco look that now looks so out of date.

thanks brad - always enjoy hearing about your tales from "wardrobe" lol any info on Sullivan's Delight? i remember it too from the exhibit and i thought the sign said something about how they tested it on a rehearsal for sullivan but then used a different outfit for the performance. i'm guessing this was a DRATS area gown, not Flo. anyone know if it was ever worn elsewhere?

and red twilight - i've also only seen that one pic. frankly that one looks like a giant tent on the girls. i realize they're fanning out the material to show off the pattern but goodness. there's a pic of MJL at the Coconut Grove wearing some bulky puffy floral pattern dress. Randy said it was made for opening night and then never worn again. understandably! lol

seems a bit of a waste to craft some of these gowns and then never use again. understand the disaster of the "uni-gown" from vegas and why it wasn't worn again. but with some of these others, you'd think between the girls, the designers and the wardrobe mistresses someone would have some sort of clue as to say "hey - no that one won't work, let's adjust it"

Brad, the book that came out along with the exhibit, does this book have the photos of the gowns?? never understood what this book was about?,so i didnt buy it. but now, maybe. thanks for your input. i did hear that some gowns were lost in a fire but then i heard that was a rumour.????do u know for sure what the deal was. i saw a set in vegas that were used on the cover of Funny Girl, i think they were brown with with stripes.thanks

there definitely was a fire in early 74, shortly after Scherrie joined. the exact gowns lost are still a bit in question but looks like the list includes the [[1) Chandelier gowns from "Reflections" on Tennesse Ernie Ford, [[2) the black beaded gowns from the back of Right on, [[3) the gold sequin gowns from the front of right on, [[4) the gold indian maiden gowns from GIT, [[5) the gold dolman sleeve gowns from Someday on Ed Sullivan, [[6) the red fireball gowns from Scherrie's debut on Sonny and Cher [[however these were only damaged and were repaired), [[7) the bronze and white sequin gowns [[many publicity pics of MSC in these) again damaged and the repaired [[8) the silver batwing pantsuits from Sullivan No Matter What Sign You Are

I also wonder if the short white gowns from MJC in Central Park were lost in the fire. there's a very early pic of MSC in them and then they're never seen of again

I've also heard that the tropical lilac gowns and the TCB butterfly gowns were damaged in the fire but repaired. but not sure about that

the white "snowstorm" poncho outfits worn by MJC on Andy Williams are thought to be the set stolen from a designer. shortly after Lynda joined the group [[MLC wore these pantsuits in Hawaii) Mary mentioned in Supreme Faith about the theft. guessing here that these were the ones stolen

there's also a rumor that in the 60s, there was a fire at a warehouse that housed many motown costumes and clothing. supposedly many of the earlier Flo outfits were lost there. but that's just a rumor

thanks for all the photos Brad YOU are supreme! Im serious here - Why dont you write a book? it would be wonderful to have your thoughts and recollections in a nice coffee book I think you should put together a proposal and approach publishing houses,I own a bookshop - you would get rejections but someone would pick it up I assure you especially if you market it from the fashion angle I think an art company like Taschen would jump at a chance to publish your work...

Here is more information on gowns that are not in Mary's collection, but do exist.

"Shimmering Sweethearts" - They are either owned by the Motown Museum or Universal Music Group. They were on display at the Henry Ford Museum in the 1990's
    Name:  Shimmering Sweethearts.jpg
Views: 11186
Size:  29.9 KB

"Blue Midnight" - They are either owned by the Motown Museum or Universal Music Group. They were on display at the Henry Ford Museum in the 1990's.
    Name:  Blue Midnight.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  31.9 KB

"Black & White Striped" - These were on display at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas.
    Name:  Black & White Striped.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  53.5 KB

"Pink Rainbow Caftans" - These are on display at the Hard Rock in Singapore.
    Name:  Pink Rainbows.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  15.3 KB

"Silver Peacocks" - These are on display at the Motown Museum.
    Name:  Silver Peacocks.jpg
Views: 3498
Size:  39.7 KB

"Blue Dreams" - These are on display at the Motown Museum.
    Name:  Blue Dreams.jpg
Views: 3789
Size:  23.9 KB

"Green Sequins" - These were the same design as "Blue Midnight," but with green sequins instead of blue. These were on display at the Henry Ford Museum in the 1990's. They are either owned by the Motown Museum or Universal Music Group. I've seen a picture of them wearing them, but I cannot seem to find the color picture. These might be them.
    Name:  Green Sequins.jpg
Views: 2283
Size:  22.7 KB

This set was just found recently and given to Mary, but I did not see in the boxes of gowns. They were worn on the Red Skelton Show.
    Name:  Hawaiian Fantasy.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  16.9 KB

As for Sullivan's Delight, from what I heard they only wore those gowns a few times. I think the rehearsal that they wore them for was for their performance of "In And Out Of Love" since it matches the set design in the background.

Again your attention to detail is a marketable commodity,I sell alot of fashion books and you certainly deserve to have your work published,Without a doubt ALL the Supremes would love to see a book like this published -not another Diane-stole-the-hairspray-on-the -bus tome,But a book purely on the clothes..Brad if you approached Bob Mackie Im sure he would agree to do you a foreward..I can even see Beyonce turning up to the book launch party...

diana has said she has many of the ealier gowns from the 60s.

brad - i didn't know there was a green set of sequin gowns similar to blue midnight. the pic you've included i believe is of the silver sequins from You Can't Hurry Love on Sullivan. it would make sense that there'd be another color however haven't ever seen anythign of it.

The gowns from the cover of Sing HDH - were those really gold? I've seen a pic of DMF on some tv set wearing them but it looks like it was colorized.

And then there's a set of gowns in Randy's first Diana book. it was taken at the Flamingo around the time Flo left. there are 2 pics and it looks like it was some sort of a diamond pattern. and the top is sorta a poncho/batwing style. the pics are only of Diana [[although Mary's hand is just in one of the frames. the ending pose to Rockabye Your Baby)

I thought the "green gowns" with the halter neck and fish scale patterned sequins [[that Brad says are identical to "Blue Midnight"--the gowns worn by DMF on "The Andy Williams Show" to sing "Love Is Here" and "Let There Be Love") were the gowns DMF wore on Ed Sullivan when they sang "You Can't Hurry Love" and the "Symphony" Medley? [[I also thought they were light/powder blue rather than green--or silver?)

The ones they did wear on Ed Sullivan were silver/blue/white color. I have to wonder if they made three of the same design [[Blue Midnight, green and silver/blue).

Wow great Brad--never even saw that pic with Mary sitting in front!!

No shallow heterosexuals?

topdiva1 Guest
    Where are photos of Flo Ballard in any Supremes gown that she looked fat in???- NONE AT ALL - this is just another urban Motown lie/legend.

Flo was never fat while in the Supremes - all these wonderful pics posted prove that.

i'm sure this'll spark a wild debate

No, i do not believe that while in the group Flo was ever obese. However, she definitely did gain quite a bit of weight in the group. Sure some of it was just because they were young girls and still growing and developing. hell they were only 16 or so when they signed. but Flo's change really didn't come about until 1966 or so. and i think the issue really wasn't the weight gain. all of the girls [[except probably di) yo-yo'd up and down and had some times when they were bigger than they might want to be. look at Cindy in TCB - those pink chevron gowns during the Porgy and Bess clip. she's considerably larger than Diana. whereas look at her in the excessively tight multi color halter gown much slimmer.

so i don't think it was the actual weight that was Flo's undoing. it was everything wrapped around it. the reason she gained it was she was drinking too much, rebelling, didn't care. it wasn't just a matter of her getting heavier it was the matter that she refused to carry her role in the group. she was threatening to really damage the image and personal of the group and they were just breaking into the Vegas level of shows.

what might have happened if she didn't get fired after that vegas show? odds are the situation would have continued to deteriorate. what would have happened if the angst and dissent really started to get leaked to the public? would they have made it to playing at the Waldorf? would they have gotten 2 tv specials? would it have fallen apart? who knows but that wasn't a gamble gordy was willing to take

check out these 2 pics. one is from hullabaloo doing Back in my Arms Again, late spring 65. the other is about 2 years later during Flo's final shows. you can definitely see the physical difference

topdiva1 Guest
    These are two great pictures - about eighteen months apart - but I do not see a major difference in the appearance and weight of the girls. What I do see may be from the strain, and presuree on all of the girls to be more than perfect.

If Flo was under pressure and acting out - it surely affected everyone- and the experience I am sure was not pleasant for any of the girls. Her weight looks fine - and the performance photo looks Supreme.

Sup_Fan
    After Flo left the group I remember her speaking about gaining weight but it was in a Jet Magazine. It was during this time she was talking about getting back n shape to start singing again. Flo had gained some weight while in the group as you suggested and Diana had got thinner. Whether it was drinking or food or the lack of it, I am sure the pressure had its affects on each of the girls.

As far as the other things you mentioned and how her behavior had and would continue to affect the group, it took me a long time to come to the realization of that. However, I know now it’s true.

Florence did not "leave", she was fired!

Florence was never "fat" while she was in the Supremes.

right - i'm not saying Flo was gigantic. in a few of the books the authors state she was around a 12, which isn't excessively large at all. however every single bio on the group [[minus Miss Turner's) comments on Flo gaining weight so i think we can assume that she did. granted, i wasn't there with a tape measure to monitor her waistline lol. and while 12 might not be huge to some, maybe compared to what she was when they first hit in 64 it is a considerable increase. plus standing next to anorexic diana anyone would look bigger.

as i said, she wasn't firely simply because she was "fat." she was fired because her behavior and attitude could have potentially derailed the group just before they were going to break into the super group.

Berry was ALWAYS devoted to Diana and not the Supremes. he was going to make absolutely certain that Diana's career trajectory wasn't interrupted. he didn't think it was time for her to go solo in early 67. they needed more time within the Supremes unit to make things happen. he knew he wanted to rebill the group as DRATS and from there they could build into bigger and better things. but if flo was going to continue to be a nightmare, acting out within the group, her emotional ups and downs, her increasingly erratic behavior, missing shows at last minute, missing recording sessions, etc it could very well undermine the entire reputation of the group and therefore undermine Di's reputation. not to mention the excessive stress everyone was under. even in happy situations it's wildly stressful. so flo's behavior was just adding unnecessary strain to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'm sure this'll spark a wild debate

No, i do not believe that while in the group Flo was ever obese. However, she definitely did gain quite a bit of weight in the group. Sure some of it was just because they were young girls and still growing and developing. hell they were only 16 or so when they signed. but Flo's change really didn't come about until 1966 or so. and i think the issue really wasn't the weight gain. all of the girls [[except probably di) yo-yo'd up and down and had some times when they were bigger than they might want to be. look at Cindy in TCB - those pink chevron gowns during the Porgy and Bess clip. she's considerably larger than Diana. whereas look at her in the excessively tight multi color halter gown much slimmer.

so i don't think it was the actual weight that was Flo's undoing. it was everything wrapped around it. the reason she gained it was she was drinking too much, rebelling, didn't care. it wasn't just a matter of her getting heavier it was the matter that she refused to carry her role in the group. she was threatening to really damage the image and personal of the group and they were just breaking into the Vegas level of shows.

what might have happened if she didn't get fired after that vegas show? odds are the situation would have continued to deteriorate. what would have happened if the angst and dissent really started to get leaked to the public? would they have made it to playing at the Waldorf? would they have gotten 2 tv specials? would it have fallen apart? who knows but that wasn't a gamble gordy was willing to take

check out these 2 pics. one is from hullabaloo doing Back in my Arms Again, late spring 65. the other is about 2 years later during Flo's final shows. you can definitely see the physical difference
    I wonder what would have happened had they been fair and treated her right. Got her SOME help with her drinking, etc.?

I never heard stories of Florence drinking heavily after she was fired from the Supremes. There was no cirrohsis, etc found.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    right - i'm not saying Flo was gigantic. in a few of the books the authors state she was around a 12, which isn't excessively large at all. however every single bio on the group [[minus Miss Turner's) comments on Flo gaining weight so i think we can assume that she did. granted, i wasn't there with a tape measure to monitor her waistline lol. and while 12 might not be huge to some, maybe compared to what she was when they first hit in 64 it is a considerable increase. plus standing next to anorexic diana anyone would look bigger.

as i said, she wasn't firely simply because she was "fat." she was fired because her behavior and attitude could have potentially derailed the group just before they were going to break into the super group.

Berry was ALWAYS devoted to Diana and not the Supremes. he was going to make absolutely certain that Diana's career trajectory wasn't interrupted. he didn't think it was time for her to go solo in early 67. they needed more time within the Supremes unit to make things happen. he knew he wanted to rebill the group as DRATS and from there they could build into bigger and better things. but if flo was going to continue to be a nightmare, acting out within the group, her emotional ups and downs, her increasingly erratic behavior, missing shows at last minute, missing recording sessions, etc it could very well undermine the entire reputation of the group and therefore undermine Di's reputation. not to mention the excessive stress everyone was under. even in happy situations it's wildly stressful. so flo's behavior was just adding unnecessary strain to everyone

Any idea of what caused that behavior? I really do believe they were already "the Super Group" by 1967 after having 10 number one records with Florence in the group. I think in part of your post you partially answer my question without realizing it. The Supremes were a group and Berry was only devoted to Diane and not the group as you put it and I believe you are right.

Every "independent" source I have seen denied Flo looked fat at their final shows in Vegas. And their reviews were glowing!! None mentioned the ridiculous" Flo put her tummy" out episode. How slowly the Motown myths die!