[REMOVE ADS]

The Three Degrees Maybe Video 1970

I stumbled upon this on youtube and was pleasantly surprised and amazed. It's a mini soap opera drama.I dont know if this has been posted here before but here it is in color!
    Last edited by soulballad; 08-02-2013 at 10:53 PM.

This is something else. Valerie has one of the sexiest voices ever. How was this video used?

I'm clueless on how and where it was used. I'm just happy to see something fresh. I had never seen nor do I ever remember seeing anything earlier than circa 1975 from these ladies. I have their Roulette Years cd released some years back and there are some real gems on there. Great Group of ladies!

Dang!!!!
    How the funk is it that I've never seen this before? The girls look so good and Valerie was
    the business, wasn't she? The bonus for me was seeing the only footage I've ever seen
    of the Chantels doing the original song in the rotation. Blurry yes, but better than none at all. Gives me hope that I might one day see footage of my Cookies...

Awww sookie sookie now! That was good. Valerie was working her best Nancy Wilson vibe on that monologue, which was a little different than some other versions I've heard.

This is from a program THE THREE DEGREES IN AUSTRALIA.

Absolutely fabulous. Thanks for posting this soulballad! I remember hearing the song on the radio on my first visit to New York in 1970 and buying the single. I still have it. One of the best tracks The Three Degrees ever recorded.

Is all of Valerie's monologue on the single?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This is from a program THE THREE DEGREES IN AUSTRALIA.
    I've found a link to the show on the net ....

http://networkawesome.com/show/the-t...-special-1970/

Roger

Hi Luke, the duration of the single [[on Roulette) is 4'06", which is shorter than the full 5'52". On the single, the intro is cut down to 1'50" from the 3'27" full version. When you think about it, even a 1'50" spoken section is still pretty long for a single, especially when only a few years before in the mid sixties the average single length in total was around 2'50".

Looking at the b side, it's interesting to see it was a cover of Sugar On Sunday, co-written and previously recorded by Tommy James, another Roulette artist at the time and one of their main money earners. The song put the Degrees in a far more commercial pop context and was a major contrast to the great a side. Maybe........a forerunner of their more commercial success in later years and/or maybe Roulette trying to keep things in house and typically earn a few dollars!

Great to see Valerie out front..... I think most people are under the impression that Sheila Ferguson was the lead singer......

Roger, thanks for finding and posting the link to the full show. A nice little programme - although I wasn't too sure about the MacArthur Park sequence! Any Australian members posting? I wonder why - as great as it was - Australian TV gave them a special when they hadn't hit their peak at that point and had only just made a commercial impact with 'Maybe'. Were they successful and known in Australia at that time?