[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R.I.P. Weldon McDougal III

I'm sorry to bring the sad news that Weldon McDougal passed away this morning, about a half-hour ago.

I'll bring you any other news as I receive it.

Weldon Arthur McDougal III - R.I.P.

STEVE CALDWELL [[THE ORLONS)
    Just called me with the news.
    Rest in piece my friend
    CEASAR
    THE
    ORIGINAL
    TYMES

I am sad this morning, but I know he has gone to a better place. God Bless you and rest in peace Weldon. Thank you for everything.

Marv

This is a sad day for the music industry and for SDF as well. Rest in Peace Mr. Weldon McDougal III.

Kdub

This is such sad news
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh dear... I was afraid this was coming. He put up a good fight, but I guess it was time for the Lord to bring him home. Sincere condolences to all of his friends and family, he was a man who was loved and respected by many.

I'm crying at my desk right now. I love you Weldon and will miss you.

Oh no ! I'm in a lost for words right now. May he rest in peace.

Rest In Peace, Weldon.

Huh! I had plans to go see him!

Unhappy

Wow! I'm so sadden to read this. I read that he was in the hospital for a couple of weeks and was silently praying for him to pull through. I feel awful reading this. Another industry giant has left us too soon. RIP Weldon!

Oh Weldon, I was waiting till you felt better to go and see you. Earl Young had called me and said you were trying so hard to get past it and then I talked to a couple other friends who saw him and he wasn't doing well. I just got off the phone with Earl and he saw him on Saturday and Weldon told him he wanted to leave and it was time for him to go. He didn't want all the tubes and medication any longer. I am so grateful I had his friendship over the years and we had a lot of good times. I will miss you My Friend. Love You Weldon RIP

I am so devastated by this news. Weldon leaves behind a legacy of friends who will never forget him or his many kindnesses -- and I know that I will always be glad that I knew him. May God Bless You Weldon.

RIP Weldon...you will surely be missed!

Weldon, may you RIP...You are going to be missed dearly

Damn! What sad news. I'd really hope to meet him one day.
    Condolences to his familly and all those who did get the chance to meet and/or know this man.
    RIP Mr. McDougal you are going to be missed in so many ways.

As a teenager on the West Coast in the early to mid sixties, I heard a new sound coming out of Philadelphia over my transistor radio that was so incredibly sweeeeet..... I was especially enamored by the 45s with the light blue label and the little penguin: Barbara Mason on Arctic, "A Dynodynamics Production"...it would be decades later before I heard the name Weldon Arthur McDougal III, and connected him with being a key architect of this timeless music, Philly Soul.
    R.I.P Mr. McDougal

So sad to hear this. Weldon was greatly loved, and I send my love and condolences to his family. He was such a sweet and fun person. Always kind to me. Rest in Peace, Weldon.

Im So Sorry To Hear Of Weldons Passing,I Will Miss The Late Night Talks On The Phone With Him,And The Jokes We Use To Share,R.I.P Wedon,You Will Truly Be Missed!!

Weldon and I became friends through the forum, even though we were both working at Motown at the same time. Weldon was working promotion which was located on the first floor of the Donovan Building and I worked the Creative Division on the fifth floor.We rarely ventured into each other's territory unless needed which didn't happen all that much

Through the forum we would speculate at how many times our paths crossed during the Motown years. This we were sure of but the actual number would have to remain a mystery.

The forum brought us together, at last, and the friendship blossomed. I always looked forward to Weldon'e phone calls when he would announce, "This is Weldon Arthur McDougal the Third", and the great conversations would begin. Weldon was "old school" and possed a ton of experience in the many facets of the record business. I consider myself "old school" also and from the perspective of age, it was always comforting to speak with someone that had also been "there" and was familiar with the many things I was so fortunate to have been involved with.

Weldon will be missed by many of us on the forum, but his abundant posts and pictures will remain with us. Rest in peace, Weldon. You were one hell of a dude.

May he rest in peace.

Very sad news.I had the honour of meeting Weldon when he was involved in the organisation of visits etc for the Brits attending the SoulTrip USA in New Jersey.He did a brilliant job, and I am sure he "twisted the arm" of a few of his long term friends to come along and meet the enthusiasts from Britain.My Face Book pic has a photo of myself and Weldon taken during that visit.It is really sad to hear of his death.
    RIP Weldon
    francis t

This is sad news indeed. Weldon had so many stories in him. He was funny, full of spirit and a real embodiment of the brilliance and joy of Motown. I loved our many conversations and can't believe I won't hear from him again this time around.

RIP Weldon Arthur McDougal the third.

So sorry to hear the news.

Rest in Peace

Sooo sorry to hear this!!! RIP Weldon - For family & friends, you have my deepest sympathy.

Everyone else has said it much better than I ever could. RIP, sir.....

This is really sad for me. I met Weldon through email and I must say that he was a very nice person. He didn't know me from Adam but was thoughtful enough to answer my questions. Rest In Peace Mr Weldon, you will be missed kind Sir

I don't get much of a chance to visit here of late, but there's something that I want all of you to know.

Very often, people don't realize how important a simple word of appreciation or a simple warm word can mean to someone. I can honestly tell you that Weldon was very well aware of the well-wishes that all of you had expressed toward him & he appreciated them all.

I was told that when Weldon was told how many people had wished him well & the thousands whom had viewed the thread for him, his eyes brightened, then he shook his head & said "WOW"! That thread served to bring Weldon to the front of a lot of people's consciousness & it truly heartened Weldon to hear how many people cared about him. Weldon definitely wanted to respond & say "thanks" for all of your well-wishes. Unfortunately, that wasn't to be.

While we honor & appreciate Weldon for being one of the pioneers whom helped usher in "The Philly Sound", for his work at Motown & Philly Intl., I think that it's appropriate to honor those of you here whom wished him well & to the many folks whom while not posting, took the time to look in at his thread in order to see how he was doing.

As I said, it's often forgotten how a kind word at the right time can be uplifting to someone. Through your kind expressions & concern, you helped to brighten what proved sadly to be his last days. Despite what he was going through, your kind words & interest let him know that he mattered & that people cared about him.

To me, visits & phone calls have their place, but in the end, knowing that people cared about him & were truly concerned about him were the greatest gifts that anyone could've given him at that point. You guys gave him his flowers while he was still around to smell them. While the finality of tis doesn't change, if only for even a little while, your words made a difference to him & gave him some happiness & made him feel pride about what he'd done in his life.

That's no small thing & since Weldon wasn't able to thank you as he wanted to, I don't think that he'd mind me speaking on his behalf & simply saying...

THANK YOU ALL!
    Last edited by juicefree20; 10-22-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: misspelling

My condolences and prayers to the family

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    I don't get much of a chance to visit here of late, but there's something that I want all of you to know.

Very often, people don't realize how important a simple word of appreciation or a simple warm word can mean to someone. I can honestly tell you that Weldon was very well aware of the well-wishes that all of you had expressed toward him & he appreciated them all.

I was told that when Weldon was told how many people had wished him well & the thousands whom had viewed the thread for him, his eyes brightened, then he shook his head & said "WOW"! That thread served to bring Weldon to the front of a lot of people's consciousness & it truly heartened Weldon to hear how many people cared about him. Weldon definitely wanted to respond & say "thanks" for all of your well-wishes. Unfortunately, that wasn't to be.

While we honor & appreciate Weldon for being one of the pioneers whom helped usher in "The Philly Sound", for his work at Motown & Philly Intl., I think that it's appropriate to honor those of you here whom wished him well & to the many folks whom while not posting, took the time to look in at his thread in order to see how he was doing.

As I said, it's often forgotten how a kind word at the right time can be uplifting to someone. Through your kind expressions & concern, you helped to brighten what proved sadly to be his last days. Despite what he was going through, your kind words & interest let him know that he mattered & that people cared about him.

To me, visits & phone calls have their place, but in the end, knowing that people cared about him & were truly concerned about him were the greatest gifts that anyone could've given him at that point. You guys gave him his flowers while he was still around to smell them. While the finality of tis doesn't change, if only for even a little while, your words made a difference to him & gave him some happiness & made him feel pride about what he'd done in his life.

That's no small thing & since Weldon wasn't able to thank you as he wanted to, I don't think that he'd mind me speaking on his behalf & simply saying...

THANK YOU ALL!

......and thank you Juice!

Condolences goes out to his family.

This is truly a sad day indeed. Ceasar. Give me a call when you can. DA Williams

Juice, The man Weldon is I don't think he would mind at all.

Our condolences and deepest sympathy to his family; a huge loss to Motown and Music.

My heartfelt condolences to Weldon's family, especially his son, who I had the pleasure of meeting on several occasions. I was very saddened to hear of Weldon's passing. I have very fond memories of Weldon and will always remember his passion for good music and good people. I will miss you, Weldon.

Juice, thank you for your very moving statement. It says it all.

I must have talked to Weldon three times a week for 10 years. Devastated is not the word but just sheer utter sadness today. I know he is in a better place and although I miss him more than words can express Im also happy. Happy to know that I had a great friendship with him and others on this board can say the same. I will never forget how Weldon helped me to get an interview, he helped me with life, but most of all he gave of himself and expected nothing and I mean NOTHING in return. Everyone here has pretty much expressed the same sentiments that I have so at this time all I can say is that Weldon it was a good ride. I will never ever forget you and thank God we have your music, stories and legacy to cherish. Most of all we had your friendship. RIP you were and still are the best.

topdiva1 Guest
    I understand that Weldon was a well respected man. May we all send our thoughts and prayers to his family. A wealth of knowledge and music history has gone on. Peace be with him.

Rest in peace Weldon.Condolences to all.

Juice, I was one of those that didn't post to Weldon's thread, but checked in for updates This is so sad. My prayers go out to the family. He will truly be missed!

I checked in for updates too. I'm very sorry about this. I loved to read the stuff Weldon had to say as well as seeing his photography and artwork.

This is just a shock...I was fortunate enough to meet him when he came to the Rock Hall. I got him to autograph my CD booklet for "On the Philly Beat", plus I bought both of his discs and he autographed those as well. He was an amazing man to listen to and to speak with, and I have a pic of me and him in my e-mail, which I would share if I knew how to get it here.

RIP, Weldon, and thank you for enriching all of our lives through your music...

Best,

Mark

A very sad day indeed for Soulful Detroit - Sorry to hear this news - Weldon will be greatly missed by the Soulful Detroit "family" - God be with his family.

Hi this is Kev-Lo

I'm so sorry to hear this, R.I.P Mr. Weldon Thank you for the SDF memories and your fine work in the Music industry. We'll all miss you Soul Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by msjoys View Post
    A very sad day indeed for Soulful Detroit - Sorry to hear this news - Weldon will be greatly missed by the Soulful Detroit "family" - God be with his family.
    I second this. He was one of the reasons this forum is so great.

RIP Brother

What sad news, each conversation with Weldon was so enlightening and a blessing! it is so evident how many lives he touched. Sincere Condolences to all His Family, Weldon You are now at Peace Bro! - Promoted to Glory!

...such sad news ...in loving memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidl8tIJST8

WELDON McDOUGALL III RIP

God Bless

RIP, Weldon...

RIP Weldon. My sympathies go out to the family.