[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mike,

I was just going to post "I Am Your Man". Thanks for doing it. He sings the song as well as Bobby Taylor, and Bobby is one of my favorite male vocalists.

I love the quote from his website!! He is so right on. I'm glad you've discovered Ryan. He deserves to be a huge star, and I agree - he would have fit right in at Motown during its hay day.

I'm ging to see if "Blackmail" is on youtube.

Couldn't find "Blackmail" but here he is doing "I Found A Love".

Robin Thicke - Talented - Yes

Blurred Lines - As relevant to Soul Music as Lady Gaga - in other words, not soulful.

Did it advance the soul agenda? Nope.

Will people marvel at the craftmanship and musicanship in 20/ 40 years? Nope.

Is it a successful, commercial, summer song in the same way as Mongo Jerry's hit 'In The Summertime"? A song of the moment? A money making exercise? Yep.....

Or as significant as Scott McKenzie San Francisco [[ Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair? Yes / Nope...Umm, was it significant?

Is it of any interest to us?

[[Absolutely not to me, but just my opinion, and I respect yours.)
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 08-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.

I Am Your Man is first of all ,one of my favorite songs. Bobby's version is good ,but............Edwin Starr's is the one I like the best. I will have to check out Ryan's version and comment later. Thanks for the tip.

Such a brilliant song.... love Bobby's and Edwin's versions.....Did you know Ryan Shaw’s cover of “I Am Your Man” was Grammy-nominated for the Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance category ?

And here is The Four Tops version....

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 08-10-2013 at 04:06 PM.

And The Dells...

It's Robin Thicke's time. He was one of the funniest husbands on the Real Husbands of Hollywood. That helped set his music up to reach a wider audience. I like the song, but I have not paid close attention to the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Such a brilliant song.... love Bobby's and Edwin's versions.....Did you know Ryan Shaw’s cover of “I Am Your Man” was Grammy-nominated for the Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance category ?

And here is The Four Tops version....

Mike! Such high quality musical tastes you have ! Add Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers version to the list too.

Hi Marv, added to the list... I'll upload Edwin's version this evening...

In the meantime, here's some stunning vocals on a great soul epic... I'm hypnotized by the drum, bass and guitar working in unison, with the organ joining in and the horns exclaiming, and subtlely moving up a gear along the way, pushing the entire beautiful thing forward to its conclusion......

Amazing how you guys block out what you collectively don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Amazing how you guys block out what you collectively don't like.
    Yes Soulster .. this thread has gone off at a strange tangent!!

Back to the subject, I quite like "Blurred Lines" though it doesn't have the "go out and buy me immediately" appeal that Robin's "Lost without U" had some 4 or 5 years back ..

This is "Lost Without U" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DdCoNbbRvQ

To me "Blurred Lines" has a nice summery feel and is a contender or "Record of The Summer" with the DAFT PUNK/NILE ROGERS tune .. BUT .. if you want retro late '70s/early '80s grooves, for me this one easily beats the two of them ..

Roger
    Last edited by roger; 08-14-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    My problem with the video is the old double standard is at play. The girls are walking around scantily clad [[clean version) or topless [[unrated version) yet the guys remain fully clothed in both. How about equal time for Thicke, Pharrell and TI to show some skin like the girls? I mean, come on, in the video Thicke poses in front of a wall with graffiti that says “Robin Thicke has a big dick”. Prove it Robin—put on a thong and show some visible penis line and make your women and gay fans happy like you’re making your male and lesbian fans happy with the women in the video.
    I just found this thread. Smark21 I like your logic. It seems flawless to me.

Penny

smark21 Guest
    Well I heard the next single and the video from the album will be a song in which Robin sings about how well hung he is. So perhaps that video will give us so visible penis line from Robin so we can find out if he’s being personal in songwriting, or just playing a character.

I don't care about dick.

I don't understand why threads can't stay on topic. I have had a chance to listen to most, not all tracks on the CD while out driving. I must say that from what I've heard so far, it is a very good album. Right now, one of my favorites is track #7 [[Feel good).

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I don't understand why threads can't stay on topic.
    This one didn't because the people who hate the song for whatever reason decided to put forth music they like instead of starting their own thread.

Newsflash from today's Music Week trade magazine:

Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams and Clifford Harris Jr. have filed a lawsuit against the family of Marvin Gaye to counteract claims that smash hit Blurred Lines copies two of the late artist’s songs.

The lawsuit - obtained by The Hollywood Reporter - states that Plaintiffs, Thicke, Williams and Harris Jr. “reluctantly file this action in the face of multiple adverse claims from alleged successors in interest to those artists. Defendants continue to insist that plaintiffs' massively successful composition, 'Blurred Lines,' copies 'their' compositions."

The trio say that Gaye’s family believes Blurred Lines and Gaye’s Got To Give It Up “feel” or “sound” the same, as well as similarities with Funkadelic’s Sexy Ways.

But the Plaintiffs argue “there are no similarities between plaintiffs' composition and those the claimants allege they own, other than commonplace musical elements."

The Gaye family are said to be threatening litigation should Thicke et al not offer a monetary settlement, but Thicke, Williams and Harris Jr. have turned to the courts first, apparently to restablish rights and obligations on both sides.

Apologies - I see my above post/story has already been started in the Motown section.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Apologies - I see my above post/story has already been started in the Motown section.
    No.....It works here too because it applies to what was posted by members previous to what has happened. Many have said it indeed had the feel of "GTGIU" by Marvin. R.T. knows this is true but he got the money to waste on a legal fight cause if he have to pay or not ,the legal fees are deductable. It ain't only about the music today ,it's also about the money. The sample issue and the way SOUL/R&B "TYPE" music is made now has changed the music and the industry across the board. Rights not only include publishing and radio play , but video and downloads ,ring tones,etc. All of this based on samples of the music of the 60's, 70's and 80's. There's even tracks now that sample Biggies sample of "Juicy Fruit".

I knew this lawyer thing was coming. People that can't hear the similarities may not know the music as far back as others or may not relate to the time period before. In this place and time this track is like a sample or close to it.

"Got To Give It Up" is the very first thing I thought of too. The similarities are striking. But, it BL was not meant to rip anyone off. It was to pay tribute to a unique sound that we have rarely, if ever heard emulated until now.

If an artist were to appear to riff a Robin Thicke song, he'd sue them. So, all's fair.

I can't find the article now because there are just to many regarding this song. But a while back I read an interview with either Robin or Farrell, and they said that they were in the studio playing around with sounds and they wanted a Marvin/Got to give it up vibe and that is how the song was born. They never denied this. According to the lawsuit they are saying that the Marvin estate was basically trying to bully them into paying them money. The Thicke team is saying that they did not use a sample. They tried to evoke the vibe. I would think that the law is specific and that you can't own a sound.

And yet, Huey Lewis prevailed when he sued Ray Parker, Jr. over the similarities between Parker's "Ghostbusters" and "I Want A New Drug". This is in spite of the fact that both used the same basic bass riff from M's "Pop Musik". For the record, Parker wound up paying Lewis.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 08-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Here is "Pop Musik":

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    "Got To Give It Up" is the very first thing I thought of too. The similarities are striking. But, it BL was not meant to rip anyone off. It was to pay tribute to a unique sound that we have rarely, if ever heard emulated until now.
    He said initially that they used the classic sound as a foundation. Jam & Lewis did the same with J.B. riffs ,[[That's The Way Love Goes), Sly riffs and others. J.B. and Sly used riffs from each other. Prince used riffs from both of them ,.......BUT... J.B. and Sly didn't sue each other. That was in the era before the legal term ,"uses a interpretation of" became an issue and J&L and Prince among other artists that produced material obviously based on other artists sound or style, gave credit to and admitted to at least, the fact that those other artists were the basis of their new material.
    My issue with R.T. on this issue is that I have this impression he is acting like GTGIU was not a major factor in his creation of B.L. ,but rather just made in the spirit of GTGIU. The issue is not the lyrics being similar ,but the track and it's sound behind them. If the public can hear the association between the two recordings , then I know he did ,through the playbacks and mixing of this hit he put together. He say's that some of his influences are Marvin ,Curtis ,Michael etc , and I don't mean to imply that he intended to rip off GTGIU but the groove and feel and sound is still there. Really now, the man aint stupid regarding the business and he must have had an idea of the possibility of having legal shix from the Gaye Estate. Being fair ,that is in the circumstances , their business but that's another story.

GTGIU is credited to Marvin Gaye ,produced by Art Stewart. It actually started as a loop taken from one of the jam sessions at the studio that Art Stewart was working on. Marvin heard the loop and wrote the words. They made it long to fill up the #4 side of the LIVE album. At the time that album came out ,the phasing of R&B/Dance/Soul/Funk into Disco was going on. Marvin could get you some ya ya in the bedroom ,but they wasn't playing no slow jams in the clubs. They worked on it and used it for the album. It was to them a throw away track really. GTGIU was just what Marvin needed at that time. They jammed it in the clubs. It was one of those tracks that stood out because nothing up to then had sound like it.....and it was from Marvin Gaye. It was just a jam, a jam that RT, "emulated" too well. The bottom line is that it's [[GTGIU) is a classic iconic recording by a classic iconic artist............ so why sue? If it wasn't for GTGIU there woudn't be a BL , so have a little respect. The Gaye's want a piece of money , whats the big deal? For him to "sue them before they sue me" is IMO ,just a bit disrespectful to Marvin. Are you doing what you do with your style to honor and continue the art of the style of the music? Or is it a business thing? IMO it's just the principle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...al-review.html

"Deeply unpleasant about his smutty style"

Certainly when Inwas buying Robin Thicke's earlier outings, I admired the sincerity and the singing. I'm getting old, I guess......
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.

I guess i'm an extreme liberal to most of you guys.

smark21 Guest
    It seems Thicke’s new single Give it 2 U is not performing all that well. In the pop market he’s in danger of becoming a one hit wonder. It doesn’t help that Blurred Lines has been overplayed and Thicke isn’t much of a live performer—he was upstaged by Miley Cyrus’ twerking at the MTV Awards and looked ridiculous in that BeetleJuice outfit.

Not every song off an album is going to be a hit, Smark. The man has made good albums in the past, too. Never write anyone off in this music game.

"Blurred Lines" might be for Robin Thicke what "Word Up" was for Cameo. A surprise crossover hit that either changes the group/singer into a pop act [[followed by pop music, which neither of them performed prior to crossing over) or makes them a one-hit wonder on the pop charts because they choose to dance with the one that brung them: R&B or urban music. I loved Cameo for coming out with "Skin I'm In" on their next album because Larry Blackmon clearly decided that he wasn't going for greater success at the sake of craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    "Blurred Lines" might be for Robin Thicke what "Word Up" was for Cameo. A surprise crossover hit that either changes the group/singer into a pop act [[followed by pop music, which neither of them performed prior to crossing over) or makes them a one-hit wonder on the pop charts because they choose to dance with the one that brung them: R&B or urban music. I loved Cameo for coming out with "Skin I'm In" on their next album because Larry Blackmon clearly decided that he wasn't going for greater success at the sake of craft.
    Having that huge crossover hit can also kill an artist. The audience has a tendency to place people with a certain sound they like in a box. If you swerve out of that box, people can reject you. At other times, it's a matter of timing. They were steadily on the rise starting in 1981 in the R&B wolf, and had their taste of crossover success as they steadily rose. Then, Cameo came out with the "Machismo" album when their unique sound was no longer in sync with what people wanted to hear. I personally didn't like the album because the somgs were too long and drawn out. They also tried to repeat the formula of "Word Up!" with the lead-off single "You Make Me Work".

Always thought this owed a lot to MG GTGIU.... terrific groove.....