[REMOVE ADS]

Young singers with voices beyond their years

This is meant to be an all-genre topic... young teenage singers who sound much older than they really are. Here's one that is prety amazing, John Cowsill... hard to believe this kid is 15 years old singing this:

And of course, 18-19 year old Alex Chilton sounding like a man in his forties:

Last edited by jillfoster; 10-22-2010 at 01:01 AM.

pshark Guest
    Opera is not my type of music, but i recognize talent when i hear it

And on the topic of the Cowsills, the Partridge Family was based on that group.
    Last edited by pshark; 10-22-2010 at 01:21 AM.

What about Stevie Winwood with The Spencer Davis Group. he was only 17 when he was singing Every Little Bit Hurts, Gimme Some Lovin and Somebody Help me; and Lulu [[15 when Shout was recorded); the Tempts' Paul Williams delivering Oh Mother of Mine and Check Yourself in 1961 [[what would he be? 21, 22?)

In the UK TV talent show The X Factor there's a 19-year-old called Paije Richardson with a super-soulful voive who I hope does well [[search under his name to watch a performance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXD43jjG0jQ

Always thought Evelyn 'Champagne' King sounded a lot older when she started out. I think she was still in her teens?

smark21 Guest
    A more contemporary choice who didn't come to prominence through a tacky talent competition. Ryan Bingham, a 29 year old alt country/americana singer/songwriter:

My girl, Brenda Lee! In terms of Soul Deep, Clarence Carter's version is in my car CD player this week! I love that song!
    Last edited by nosey; 10-22-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXD43jjG0jQ

Always thought Evelyn 'Champagne' King sounded a lot older when she started out. I think she was still in her teens?
    Good one Blueskies. I thought so too, but then we met her later that summer that Shame was a hit and found out that she same age as me! We were all teenagers LOL!

Helen Shapiro was only 16 when this reached #2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASA8NFqToIk

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    A more contemporary choice who didn't come to prominence through a tacky talent competition. Ryan Bingham, a 29 year old alt country/americana singer/songwriter:
    He's an adult. We're talkin about kids who's voices are still developing.

Steve Winwood was still a teenager when he recoded "Gimmie Some Lovin', with the Spencer Davis group, wasn't he? And, how old was Eric Burdon when he started out with The Animals?

Eric Burdon was 21 when the Animals were formed in 1962. Stevie Winwood was only 17 when 'Keep On Running' reached #1 in '65.
    Last edited by copley; 10-23-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Just listen to..[little]stevie wonder whose voice seemed to change overnight!

That guy Mika can do a mean freddie Mercury impression it creeps in his singing..

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  21.1 KB
    Barbara Green was only 13 when she recorded her 4 cuts [["Young Boy", "Lover's Plea", "I Should Have Treated You Right") that were released on VJ's Vivid Records in 1964. I would have guessed she was in her 20s. Little did I know that I was 5 years older than she. I thought she was an adult. I saw her appear once. I just thought she was a little short. He had a nice, full, mature , soulful voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_-1GilBQt4
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-23-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Kathy Sledge was only 14 on this performance with the voice and stage presence of a seasoned adult http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkol7xT7Mw

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    That guy Mika can do a mean freddie Mercury impression it creeps in his singing..
    Mika is 27!

yeah i know hes 27 what i meant was it takes people a LIFETIME to capture Mercurys essence and hes got it at what? 25? to me thats pheonominal..to me 27 is still a pretty young age in the music industry...

Joss Stone!

phyl Guest
    flroence ballard sounded older than her y ears when she sang bituttered popcorn how old was she when she asng that song? 18 or somthting liek that?