[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    166

    Phil spector dead at 81

    From TMZ


    Phil Spector, the music producer responsible for some of the biggest hits in music and the architect of The Wall of Sound has died ... sources with direct knowledge tell TMZ.

    We're told he died from COVID-related complications, after being transferred from his prison cell to a hospital. We're told he was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and went to the hospital but recovered well enough to return to prison, where he was serving a 19-to-life sentence for the murder of Lana Clarkson.

    Our sources say he relapsed, had trouble breathing and was rushed back to the hospital, where he died Saturday.

    Spector began his career early ... when he was still in high school, he produced his first big hit, "To Know Him is To Love Him," by the Teddy Bears.


    And then, the floodgates opened. He produced a flurry of hits ... from The Righteous Brothers "You Lost that Lovin' Feeling," "Unchained Melody," "You're My Soul and Inspiration," The Ronettes' "Be My Baby," The Crystals' "He's a Rebel," and on and on.


    Spector had a deep association with The Beatles, and produced their final album, "Let It Be." Among the songs, "The Long and Winding Road," "Get Back," and the title track. He also produced John Lennon's solo work, including "Instant Karma," and "Imagine."

    Phil's reach was far and wide. He also produced Ike & Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High."

    When Phil produced The Ronettes, he went on to marry their lead singer, Ronnie in 1968, and had a tumultuous relationship. She accused him of tormenting her during their 4 years together by telling her she was nothing -- personally or professionally -- without him, forbidding her to leave their mansion alone, and pulling guns on her.

    She eventually fled barefoot from him in 1972.


    Spector's "Wall of Sound" was a technique he discovered in a tunnel near Hollywood Blvd. The sound created a roaring effect, which Spector called the "Wagnerian approach to rock 'n' roll" -- it involved overdubbing scores of musicians in an orchestral style to make a fuller sound.

    The technique was mimicked by the Beach Boys and Bruce Springsteen.

    He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.

    Spector ended up in prison in 2009 for the second degree murder of Clarkson, who was an actress he'd been dating.


    In March 2013, Al Pacino played Spector in the movie "Phil Spector."

    Spector was 81.



    https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/17/phil-...-dead-dies-81/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,027
    Rep Power
    164
    Very sad news indeed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,806
    Rep Power
    193
    TMZ is saying Covid at the same time CNN is saying natural causes, what's that about?...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    TMZ is saying Covid at the same time CNN is saying natural causes, what's that about?...
    I know two people who had existing problems from which they would probably eventually die. Then they got Covid and died from those existing problems. Without covid, they would probably still be here treating those symtons which were manageable. They became unmanageable because of Covid. One was sixty, and the other was 80. So, to me, they died from Covid.

    This report was from TMZ. [[not the most reliable source) If he actually had Covid at some point but then died from something else, that something else was probably accelerated by him having Covid and if so, then I tend to agree with TMZ. He died of Covid

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5,887
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I know two people who had existing problems from which they would probably eventually die. Then they got Covid and died from those existing problems. Without covid, they would probably still be here treating those symtons which were manageable. They became unmanageable because of Covid. One was sixty, and the other was 80. So, to me, they died from Covid.

    This report was from TMZ. [[not the most reliable source) If he actually had Covid at some point but then died from something else, that something else was probably accelerated by him having Covid and if so, then I tend to agree with TMZ. He died of Covid
    His influence was undèniable in the music world. I was a huge fan of his talent and i am sorry he has passed.
    I prefer not to discuss the murder of Miss Clarkson out of respect for her family.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,608
    Rep Power
    167
    Didn't see this! Just posted a thread in the Clubhouse. I'll just repeat here, what a sad end to a life that had such early talent and promise. You have to remember his victims, but I'm glad at least his struggle is over.

    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/phil-...b0b95f893d6243

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Didn't see this! Just posted a thread in the Clubhouse. I'll just repeat here, what a sad end to a life that had such early talent and promise. You have to remember his victims, but I'm glad at least his struggle is over.

    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/phil-...b0b95f893d6243
    Thanks for that link. I forgot that he was part of the Teddy Bears. I bought that record as a kid. At the time I did not know who Phil was or that he would become a famous producer. Loved the music he produced. But maybe to To Know Him Was Not to Love Him

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    140
    Yeah as messed up of a man that he was, I will say he really was a musical genius. Some of my all time favorite songs were produced by him. One being "Then He Kissed Me". I feel that one really was the ultimate Wall of Sound song. Such a great build up from the intro that just keeps building and building throughout the entire song.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    760
    Rep Power
    119
    By all accounts, he was not a good person. He just made good music -- like R.Kelly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,418
    Rep Power
    148
    I just found out about the passing of Phil Spector. While he was a messed up person, he did create the influential "Wall Of Sound" and launched a long string of hits & artists during the '60s [[and remains one of the most influential producers of all time). RIP.

  11. #11
    He was a vile man, murderer & wife beater. He was a great writer & producer. Not much more I can say.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55697979

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,058
    Rep Power
    188
    A musical genius but a vile and sexist and abusive human being.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,912
    Rep Power
    88

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    356
    Rep Power
    66
    A flawed human being who produced some of the greatest pop songs of all time.

    I wonder what his tombstone will say [[since 'To Know Him is To Love Him' was on his father's).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    166

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    A flawed human being who produced some of the greatest pop songs of all time.

    I wonder what his tombstone will say [[since 'To Know Him is To Love Him' was on his father's).
    "The Wall of Sound - Six Feet Underground "

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    166
    This morning, THE TODAY SHOW did a report and showed a video report of Phil Spector. Before showing the video, the news anchor said a prison spokesman said that Spector died of natural causes, but his daughter told the NY Times that he died of COVID-19

    https://www.today.com/video/phil-spe...d_55339009-nnd

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9,835
    Rep Power
    199
    For a guy so talented and contributed so much to the music world...sad indeed!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,322
    Rep Power
    148
    COVID caused deaths, and deaths WITH COVID positivity present are two different things in many cases and the way they define COVID deaths is actually quite misleading and skews the statistics... As the Health Director for the State of Illinois explains... even if a person was shot six times in the head, or fell off a cliff, if they tested positive for COVID at the time of death, it's classified as a COVID death as explained in the following video... https://youtu.be/rPmFbtH-nEQ

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,692
    Rep Power
    151
    R.I.P. Phil Spector.
    [[One thing in that article above: he didn't produce The Righteous Brothers' "Soul & Inspirration." Bill Medley did).

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,608
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This morning, THE TODAY SHOW did a report and showed a video report of Phil Spector. Before showing the video, the news anchor said a prison spokesman said that Spector died of natural causes, but his daughter told the NY Times that he died of COVID-19

    https://www.today.com/video/phil-spe...d_55339009-nnd
    i’m no doctor and obviously not a medical expert, but I think “natural causes“ would include Covid. Any death from disease or illness or even what they call “old age“ would be considered a natural cause, I believe. An unnatural cause would refer to a violent death, such as from a murder or some sort of accident.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    2
    Another reason why I don't think that R.Kelly's music [[or anyone's music for that matter) should be banned from the airwaves. Are they going to do the same thing with whatever music Phil Spector was involved with?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    R.I.P. Phil Spector.
    [[One thing in that article above: he didn't produce The Righteous Brothers' "Soul & Inspirration." Bill Medley did).
    Thanks for this info. I knew that S&I was recorded on Verve soon after they left Phil Spector, but subconsciously, I guess I always assumed it was a Spector production because it sounded so much like Spector. But I just read its history on Wikipedia and I see why it sounded like a Spector production.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[[You%27re_My)_Soul_and_Inspiration

    In later years, I was no fan of Spector the Man, but his musical genius has given me a lot of joy as a young man. And I continue to enjoy those magnificent classics

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    506
    Rep Power
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thanks for this info. I knew that S&I was recorded on Verve soon after they left Phil Spector, but subconsciously, I guess I always assumed it was a Spector production because it sounded so much like Spector. But I just read its history on Wikipedia and I see why it sounded like a Spector production.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[[You%27re_My)_Soul_and_Inspiration

    In later years, I was no fan of Spector the Man, but his musical genius has given me a lot of joy as a young man. And I continue to enjoy those magnificent classics
    For me, the big difference between '[[You're My) Soul And Inspiration' and genuine Phil Spector productions is the sound of the drums.

    On Spector productions, they're thunderingly deep-sounding but, for some reason, they're missing that weight on 'Soul And Inspiration'. Perhaps a less noticeable difference on AM radio back in 1966, but nonetheless.....

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,536
    Rep Power
    137
    all the same muscians and bg singers used on "Soul & Inspiration" , I think all the same personnel except Phil Spector.I don't know about Studio & engineer. In early 1963, at the age of 12, I sent Phil a "fan letter" & told him how much I admired him & wanted to be like him ect. Every year until I guess 1970 , he sent me a Christmas card. In 1971 I met The Crystals and when they told me about Phil, how he was cool in the beginning , but ripped them off in the end...I was so shocked & upset.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.