[REMOVE ADS]

Lauryn Hill opens up about prison life

Lauryn Hill opens up about prison life

© WENN 2013

The former Fugees singer was sentenced to three months behind bars after pleading guilty to three charges of failing to file her tax returns between 2005 and 2007.

She began her sentence at the Federal Correctional Institution in Danbury, Connecticut on 8 July [[13), and on Saturday [[20Jul13), a friend of the star took to her tumblr.com page to tell fans Hill is "doing well" in jail.

The pal also includes a personal note from the musician which reads, "I have known since very young to look for the purpose and lesson in everything, including the trials. Although it has taken some adjustment, I cannot deny the favor I have encountered while in here, and general warm reception from a community of people who despite their circumstances, have found unique ways to make the best of them.

"Thank you for the letters of concern and well wishes that I receive in the mail every day. Although I may not be able to write everyone back [[sic), please know that they have been received, read, acknowledged, and appreciated."

After completing her stint behind bars, Hill will spend a further three months under house arrest and nine months on supervised release. She has also taken steps to rectify her financial problems - earlier this year [[13) she paid off more than $900,000 in back taxes to settle her debts.

Not picking on her specifically but how come some folks who earn a lot of money think that they can get away with not paying Uncle Sam? Uncle Sam, WILL GET PAID so you might as well do it through the normal channels so as to save a lot of regret, grief, going to jail and embarrassment. Many before Ms. Hill have been snared on that road and yet others still give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Not picking on her specifically but how come some folks who earn a lot of money think that they can get away with not paying Uncle Sam? Uncle Sam, WILL GET PAID so you might as well do it through the normal channels so as to save a lot of regret, grief, going to jail and embarrassment. Many before Ms. Hill have been snared on that road and yet others still give it a go.
    I like Lauren, but I'm sorry, no sympathy from me. I remember someone sending me an e-mail petition trying to keep Ron Isley out of prison for not paying his taxes. Shoot, I am still paying down my taxes from 2008 and my salary doesn't put a dent in what theses guys make and when I tried to renegotiate for lower payments, IRS told me they would have to put a lien on me to do that. These folks need to sit down, be quiet and PAY YOUR TAXES!!!

I do feel a bit sorry for her though I agree with what you guys have said about so many celebs thinking they can get away with not paying their taxes. Lauryn continues to disappoint many of us who've had such high hopes for her. She let one man's penis cause
    her to lose her mind and still hasn't recovered in so many years. Shame....

Echoing what splanky wrote, it's sad that someone who represented so much of what many wanted their daughters to aspire toward - beautiful, strong, smart, independent, creative [[the list goes on and on) - has become the symbol of damn nearly everything you want them to avoid - controlled, confused, paranoid, law breaking [[the list goes on and on). She really had a chance to be iconic for all of the right reasons but now she's known more for erratic behavior and tax evasion than anything else. My prayers are with her, although I don't think there's a way back to where she was.

You know I DO feel sorry for some celebs because they let the accountants and others take over and when they wake up there is no money left. Ms Hill knows better though I cant understand why she had so many children and just dropped out of the public eye. She made tons of money on music and merchandising when that hit album came out and she told people to call her Miss Hill. I dont judge though I wish her well.