[REMOVE ADS]

The Miracles; 1973

In 1972, Smokey played his last live gig with the Miracles & prepared to go solo. In 1973, the group took on a new lead singer -- Baltimore's Billy Griffin.
    An ad for a Baltimore show by the group [[on 29th September) stated that this would be the 1st show on which the group were fronted by Billy [[though this may well have been just the 1st Baltimore area live show on which he was up front).
    The ad also states that Billy had been with the Tempos before being recruited to join the Miracles.
    Anyone have details of his pre-Miracles music biz experience, activities ??
    Which set of Tempos would have been the group out of Baltimore ??

Just checked and the info I have is that William 'Bill' Griffin was born on 15th August 1950 in Detroit.
    He was introduced by Smokey to the group's audiences during the group's 1972 U.S. tour & then was lead singer on the 'Renaissance' LP.
    How come Baltimore claimed him as their own if he was actually born in Detroit ??

I can find little on his pre-Miracles music career !!!

Here's the ad for the show ..........
    Attachment 1565

By all accounts, Damon Harris & Billy Griffin used to hang out together in High School in Baltimore.
    Maybe it was via Damon that Billy got his introduction to Smokey & the Miracles.
    Anyone know ??

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    By all accounts, Damon Harris & Billy Griffin used to hang out together in High School in Baltimore.
    Maybe it was via Damon that Billy got his introduction to Smokey & the Miracles.
    Anyone know ??
    Supposedly that's what happened.
    Damon Harris told old friend Billy Griffith about the Miracles needing a new lead singer. Allegedly, Griffith had always idolized Smokey and sang in Baltimore groups patterned after Smokey & the Miracles, while Harris' idol had been Eddie Kendricks. I guess Harris encouraged Griffith to audition or told Smokey, Pete Moore & Bobby Rodgers that he knew of a possible replacement for Smokey. Didn't Griffith supposedly tour with the Miracles during Smokey's farwell strek?
    I've never heard until your post that
    Billy Griffith was Detroit born.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-21-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Billy is one of my chat buddies. He was not born in Detroit. I'll ask him about his music business experience prior to joining the Miracles if he comes online anymore this week.

Marv2,
    ........ many thanks.
    I really would like to learn about his late 60's / early 70's experiences on the Baltimore soul scene ...
    [[my current project is a piece on the Baltimore soul scene of the 60's).
    Any chance of passing along Billy's contact details, so I can ask him a few specific questions on his music biz memories from the 60's ???

Jsmith, what is your first name by the way if you don't mind me asking? I just sent Billy a message at 4:40 pm EST with your request, when he gets back to me, I will have you contact him direct and you do your thing. Is that cool?

Marv

marv2, its John. CHEERS.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    marv2, its John. CHEERS.
    Pleased to meet you John.

This is the first single I can remember hearing by the Miracles with Billy Griffin on lead. It was early 1973 and they performed it a couple of times on local Detroit TV. Here is a clip that is the only one I could find. It does not include Billy in the visuals and the song was released in 1973, not 1975.....oh well! LOL!

You know what's interesting is Billy brought his brother [[the name escapes me) to replace Marv Tarplin as the Miracles' new guitarist after Marv left with Smokey in '73 just as Billy was becoming a member. So his first Miracles performances was in 1973 and not 1972? Interesting. Wasn't Smokey's final performances with the Miracles in July '72? How long did it take before Billy became an official member?

I love Where Are You Going To My Love, which was released as a 45 in England. Got quite a lot of radio play, but sadly did not chart. Beutifully sung, Very impressive arrangement. Great Song. Cant find it on any C.D. Does anyone know if it snuck out anywhere? Many thanks, as always Paulo XXXX