[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1

    Mary wilson's new music????

    What has become of Mary Wilson's Holland-Dozier produced album? There was tons of publicity for the album, then to have been called "Clarity," a couple of years back, but then it did not come out. Two songs, "Life's Been Good To Me" and "Daring Mother (Johnnie Mae)" have been made available through I-tunes and download sites, but that is it. I cannot understand for the life of me why Mary Wilson's album has not been released. We've been hearing "it's coming" for a decade now!

    I read once a few years back that Mary was seeking a major label to release her recordings, though I do not know if that is true. The fact is that independent labels are the way to go in this day and time, especially for smaller scale artists like Mary. Certainly she could link with one of the smaller firms and get the CDissued. What about Concord Music Group? They release new material by vintage artists...

    C'Mon Mary. None of us are getting any younger.

  2. #2
    While I love Mary dearly, I have to say that where this supposed album is concerned, talk is cheap. She has made no mention of the Holland brothers' being involved for quite while now. (Dozier was never mentioned, to the best pf my recollection.) I don't know why that is. Actually, to the casual observer, the whole project seems very badly planned. Mary has talked it up in almost every interview over the past six or eight years (possibly longer) but then nothing happens. She probably should not have gone on about it so, because now she's being viewed as the gal who cried, "Wolf!" If and when the album should ever see the light of day it will be almost a footnote now.

  3. #3
    Cher sems to be the only pop singer from the Sixties signed to a major label. And we know why that is so.

  4. #4
    She is with Motor City Works., Inc., Distributed in the U.S.A. by InGrooves/Fontana Distribution, Inc.. and the Demon Music Group, Distributed by Demon Digital elsewhere. Is all I know.

  5. #5
    Now Mary is saying she may have a long term las Vegas gig which i hope is true but wouldnt it be best to have the Vegas gig in the bag before telling people? You right BigAl that new CD clarity has been talked up by Mary for almost ten years. Surely she cant be expecting a major label to releases this and couldnt she release this CD herself and sell it on her website and at her shows like she release and sold her Up Close CB which I ordered from her website.

    Roberta

  6. #6
    I agree, get the Vegas gig first and then talk about it. Just don't tell fans like Luke. But it also depends on what hotel/casino might book her. There are the big places like the Hard Rock, Wynn, Bellagio and others on the main strip. Then there are those off the strip, usually the smaller and cheaper places.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 07-09-2013 at 02:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She is with Motor City Works., Inc., Distributed in the U.S.A. by InGrooves/Fontana Distribution, Inc.. and the Demon Music Group, Distributed by Demon Digital elsewhere. Is all I know.
    Really. It doesnt look like InGrooves/Fontana have any affillation with Motor City Works. Does Motor City Works have a website you could provide a link for?

  8. #8
    I posted that info in May

    She is signed to Motor City Works which was supposed to be distributed by Fonatana Distribution. Fontana does tremendous promotion and has brought many Cd's to number one on various Billboard Charts like R&B and Gospel. Fonatana was partially owned by UMG.

    But last year, INgrooves acquired Fontana Distribution from UMG and it is now INgrooves Fontana


    Don't know what the status is with her CD. But she sure has bad luck picking labels. She is either dropped by them after one release, or the company goes out of business, or , as in this case, the company is sold.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I posted that info in May

    She is signed to Motor City Works which was supposed to be distributed by Fonatana Distribution. Fontana does tremendous promotion and has brought many Cd's to number one on various Billboard Charts like R&B and Gospel. Fonatana was partially owned by UMG.

    But last year, INgrooves acquired Fontana Distribution from UMG and it is now INgrooves Fontana


    Don't know what the status is with her CD. But she sure has bad luck picking labels. She is either dropped by them after one release, or the company goes out of business, or , as in this case, the company is sold.
    Thanks for the info milven. I think Mary Wilson should self release this and sell it on her websites and at her shows.

    Yours, with every good wish.

    Roberta

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Thanks for the info milven. I think Mary Wilson should self release this and sell it on her websites and at her shows.

    Yours, with every good wish.

    Roberta

    I think Mary is handling her business just fine.

  11. #11
    Everyone knows I love Mary Wilson,i think it's been longer then 10 years,she's been saying this album is coming out,i'm sorry to say,i don't think that album is ever coming out,no matter what,i'm still Mary Wilson's number 1 fan,cd or no cd,Love Mary,Please stay positive

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Everyone knows I love Mary Wilson,i think it's been longer then 10 years,she's been saying this album is coming out,i'm sorry to say,i don't think that album is ever coming out,no matter what,i'm still Mary Wilson's number 1 fan,cd or no cd,Love Mary,Please stay positive
    I think you are correct dear redhot.

    Yours, with every good wish.

    Roberta

  13. #13
    Goodness. Wouldnt Mary get the album out if she could?? Its been almost two years Aretha and Clive have been talking about her new album. Patti LaBelle was supposed to release a new record ages ago on Def Jam. Dont get the negativity.

  14. #14
    HDH or HH or just H ?? I can't recall a HDH project but its been a while so that piece may have slipped by me. Hmmmm don't get to upset perhaps HDH or HH or H are just not the right writers or producers for Mary. I always felt Mary's voice was more comfortable with Burt and or Hal. just my opinion !!!! " Can't Take My Eyes Off You" was the best thing she ever did and she should have stuck with that sultry, sexy, sophisticated type of sound until she got a hit. So, I am really not sadden that HDH or HH or H project did not happen.

  15. #15
    smark21 Guest
    Well she has set up deals with itunes and amazon for digital releases of Life’s Been Good to Me and Darling Mother so she and her business manager really need to finalize a deal to get the rest out there so she can stop promoting what has been, until now, a phantom project. And she has made physical cds of her Up Close show so she can certainly get some CDs made of this album to sell on her site and at her shows.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    HDH or HH or just H ?? I can't recall a HDH project but its been a while so that piece may have slipped by me. Hmmmm don't get to upset perhaps HDH or HH or H are just not the right writers or producers for Mary. I always felt Mary's voice was more comfortable with Burt and or Hal. just my opinion !!!! " Can't Take My Eyes Off You" was the best thing she ever did and she should have stuck with that sultry, sexy, sophisticated type of sound until she got a hit. So, I am really not sadden that HDH or HH or H project did not happen.
    Her latest is a Holland Brothers project.

  17. #17
    Does anyone know when Mary recorded the tracks? Was it 6-8 years ago?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Does anyone know when Mary recorded the tracks? Was it 6-8 years ago?
    It's been "coming out next month" for the last 6 or 7 years, so 6-8 years is a good guess.

  19. #19
    supremester Guest
    I think both of the tracks are from 1999-2000. Certainly the first single has a 90's groove to it and her exquisite vocal on darling Mother is from long ago. She began to promote this in the summer of 2000 during "that issue between 'sisters." The album is not produced by HDH or written by HDH but IS recorded at their facility with associates of HDH. Mother Darling Mother sports a very impressive vocal.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Well she has set up deals with itunes and amazon for digital releases of Life’s Been Good to Me and Darling Mother so she and her business manager really need to finalize a deal to get the rest out there so she can stop promoting what has been, until now, a phantom project. And she has made physical cds of her Up Close show so she can certainly get some CDs made of this album to sell on her site and at her shows.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think both of the tracks are from 1999-2000. Certainly the first single has a 90's groove to it and her exquisite vocal on darling Mother is from long ago. She began to promote this in the summer of 2000 during "that issue between 'sisters." The album is not produced by HDH or written by HDH but IS recorded at their facility with associates of HDH. Mother Darling Mother sports a very impressive vocal.
    Not true! Not true at all........

    The project did not even start until March 2003. Also, Richard Davis of the Holland Group is the producer with songwriting credits going to a variety of writers which include but not limited to Angelo Bond, Richard Davis, Brian & Eddie Holland, Paul Hill, etc,etc, etc. The foundation for the songs came mostly from Mary's personal diaries.

    It was recorded mostly in Detroit with Detroit based musicians.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.

  21. #21
    supremester Guest
    I don't believe that Life's Been Good To Me track was recorded in 2003 or after as it sounds 5-10 years behind that. Mary spoke, during RTL & Sophisicated Ladies, of her new album she was doing with HDH. Mary played cuts of Clarity to friends of mine in 2001, I believe - I will verify. And, girlfriend, if I were you, I'd watch using phrases like "not true at all" when, well, you are hardly a slave to veracity. Wasn't it just a week ago you were denying being DetroitLives???? Or 2 years ago you claimed 20,000 plus at a "packed" Coney Island???? People on this list were there. Everytime you use the phrase "Not true! Not true at all" , I will reply with at least two of your classics that qualify for that very moniker.
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

    The project did not even start until March 2003. Also, Richard Davis of the Holland Group is the producer with songwriting credits going to a variety of writers which include but not limited to Angelo Bond, Richard Davis, Brian & Eddie Holland, Paul Hill, etc,etc, etc. The foundation for the songs came mostly from Mary's personal diaries.

    It was recorded mostly in Detroit with Detroit based musicians.

  22. #22
    Mary Wilson could never get a deal with a major record label at any time in the past. In today's market and at her age with her sales record, she won't get one.

    If she wanted to release this CD on a self done basis, she could have done it. Others do.

    But it never happens so she must not seriously want to do it.

    Is there any point if she markets 500 copies to her core fan base? Maybe to the fans there is. But it doesn't do much for her. She must not care.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Mary Wilson could never get a deal with a major record label at any time in the past. In today's market and at her age with her sales record, she won't get one.

    If she wanted to release this CD on a self done basis, she could have done it. Others do.

    But it never happens so she must not seriously want to do it.

    Is there any point if she markets 500 copies to her core fan base? Maybe to the fans there is. But it doesn't do much for her. She must not care.
    You are so last century! Artist don't need to sign contracts with major recording companies anymore. They make the majority of their money from live performances.

  24. #24
    smark21 Guest
    Maybe Mary was working with a producer with a dated and out of touch production style if indeed she recorded Life’s Been Good to Me in 2003?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Maybe Mary was working with a producer with a dated and out of touch production style if indeed she recorded Life’s Been Good to Me in 2003?


    They began recording songs in March 2003. That is not to say they recorded the title track in March 2003, it may have been done much later.

  26. #26
    Nice beats mean any day.

  27. #27
    supremester Guest
    Mary has two singles on itunes, so I guess she could get more on there if she wants. Lots of artists don't have record deals because they want more than just distribution. Miss ross' last deal with Motown called for Motown to produce videos, promote and distribute. Ditto her EMI deal. She can't get a deal like that now, so she just has a distribution thing which is cool in a sense because the royalty rate is huge. She owns it all and gets the lion's share of the wholesale. I don't know if Mary can get that, but she could get them pressed and jobbed out to Amazon and itunes, plus sell at her shows, but her gigs are becoming less frequent. I think, if I were Mary, I would put out a CD with all her uncollected tracks together - including her 1979-81 stuff and plug it shamelessly everywhere I could. There's nothing contemporary about either cut we've heard anyway, and, if there are other good tracks like Darling Mother, I'd think she could generate enough interest in her sphere to make some money off of it. I would not, however, plug Life's Been Good To Me as the banality of the lyric would only hurt the project beyond her most ardent fan base who love, literally, everything she does.
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Mary Wilson could never get a deal with a major record label at any time in the past. In today's market and at her age with her sales record, she won't get one.

    If she wanted to release this CD on a self done basis, she could have done it. Others do.

    But it never happens so she must not seriously want to do it.

    Is there any point if she markets 500 copies to her core fan base? Maybe to the fans there is. But it doesn't do much for her. She must not care.

  28. #28
    supremester Guest
    I think it was just an unused track that they found for some years back with a nice sound and quickly wrote words to sing to it that I won't dignify as being referred to as lyrics.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Maybe Mary was working with a producer with a dated and out of touch production style if indeed she recorded Life’s Been Good to Me in 2003?

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I think it was just an unused track that they found for some years back with a nice sound and quickly wrote words to sing to it that I won't dignify as being referred to as lyrics.
    No they didn't. Mary had to fly into Detroit several times to do her scratch vocals for the musicians. You don't know what you are talking about at all. Why do you keep making stuff up? Pulling stuff right out of the air or lower.......?

  30. #30
    smark21 Guest
    IN a few interviews she’s given over the years about the album she said she let the songwriters read her diary in order to craft songs for her. Certainly the first two songs released, whatever their merits as quality songs, are personal musical statements for Mary. I think Life’s Been Good to Me might be something that could work as an intro and outro to an album meant as a personal musical memoir, but as a full fledged song? Well the lyrics are extremely obvious with little subtlety.

  31. #31
    supremester Guest
    I don't know.....it might be I've been hanging around you too long LOLOLOL. Kind of like when at MWOS you claimed that Mary demanded a solo at The Hollywood Palace and the asst director sided with her and diana & Berry were furious about it? Like THAT kind of making stuff up and pulling things out of the air or lower? THAT what you are talking about dear? Remember how mad you got at the (now ex) member who checked with Mary and she refuted the story as ridiculous as everyone thought???? And you told him to "STAY OUT OF IT" in all caps and then kicked him out? Anyway, back to the topic after I reply to your current insult: Re: scratch vocals: Is that why her vocals are so scratchy, girlfriend? I still think that about this track and I doubt very very much she flew to detroit at all to do scratch vocals for this mid 90's track in 2003. LOL. And I do not believe a word about those three trips to Detroit to work with musicians to work on Life's Been Good To Me. Sorry, I just do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No they didn't. Mary had to fly into Detroit several times to do her scratch vocals for the musicians. You don't know what you are talking about at all. Why do you keep making stuff up? Pulling stuff right out of the air or lower.......?

  32. #32
    Aw, Marv's just the "Queen of Mean", that's all.

  33. #33
    In 1998, Mary and Eddie Holland spoke about a complete CD release that Eddie would helm with HDH producing through their company. Several years of discussion about royalties, publishing, master ownership and production funding ensued. Mary played hardball because at the time, she was a hot property as she was concurrently negotiating with Duke Ellington INC for Sophisticated Ladies and knew Diana Ross had secured the rights to use The Supremes for recording and live performance. With all three projects in various stages of development, Mary was very confident about the future and was not lying that, in 1999, she was working with HDH on a album of new music. it was a stretch, perhaps, but they were working on working on it and Mary envisioned using The Supremes tour to promote her CD. All three projects picked up steam at the same time, but funding issues kept the CD deal from being finalized in time for The Supremes tour. When The Supremes tour began to look shaky, Sophisticated ladies was put on the front burner, then, after RTL began playing dates, there was a renewed chance that Mary & Cindy would be joining the tour after all. Then, abruptly, Diana Ross announced the tour was cancelled even as TNT was still insisting the dates would resume. Aware that Diana had cancelled her own tour, Mary put heart and soul into Sophisticated Ladies and moved full steam ahead toward a Broadway Run, putting the CD on the back burner. This is why Mary has referred to the CD for so long, as she was intending to be making viable new music since the late 90's. When I knew her well, she had not, to my knowledge, inked a deal with HDH, but was actually working on it. Now. 15 years after that fall evening discussion of 1998 of pending major projects, the CD is readying distribution, there is "talk" of a Supremes 50th WDOLG Anniversary Show and, as those close to Mary are aware, she is considering a re-tooled, very scaled down version of Sophisticated Ladies.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 07-12-2013 at 03:26 AM.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    there is "talk" of a Supremes 50th WDOLG Anniversary Show.
    Tell us more about this show!

  35. #35
    Who wrote and who produced "Darling Mother (Johnnie Mae?"

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    ...as those close to Mary are aware, she is considering a re-tooled, very scaled down version of Sophisticated Ladies.
    Oh my...I hope she decides not to go in this direction. The initial production of Ladies imploded so horribly when they ran out of money and Mary fired all the Equity cast and crew, replacing them with scabs, causing Mercedes Ellington to bail as well. It really damaged her professional reputation and those in the industry will remember that.

  37. #37
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Oh my...I hope she decides not to go in this direction. The initial production of Ladies imploded so horribly when they ran out of money and Mary fired all the Equity cast and crew, replacing them with scabs, causing Mercedes Ellington to bail as well. It really damaged her professional reputation and those in the industry will remember that.
    Saint Mary? A damaged reputation? How can that be?

  38. #38
    I hope Marys movie Golden Shoe comes out real soon.

    Roberta

  39. #39
    Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I hope Marys movie Golden Shoe comes out real soon.

    Roberta
    I think it may end up going straight to DVD. I didn't see many updates on the website:

    http://www.goldenshoesmovie.com

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Oh my...I hope she decides not to go in this direction. The initial production of Ladies imploded so horribly when they ran out of money and Mary fired all the Equity cast and crew, replacing them with scabs, causing Mercedes Ellington to bail as well. It really damaged her professional reputation and those in the industry will remember that.
    Memories like the corner of my mind.........LOL! I remember the night she introduced the leading man to us along with several other cast members. Then it seemed like the very next day or week, they were all fired! LOL!

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I think it may end up going straight to DVD. I didn't see many updates on the website:

    http://www.goldenshoesmovie.com
    I dont care if its DVD or not I really want to see Golden Show with Mary wilson.

    Fondly,

    Roberta

  42. #42
    I think Mary is handling her business just fine.

  43. #43
    What's new? Any future release of a compilation?

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Cher sems to be the only pop singer from the Sixties signed to a major label. And we know why that is so.
    Cher is not alone. Barbra Streisand is with Sony/Columbia. Paul Simon is with Warner’s. James Taylor still releases albums. I’m sure there are others. Bob Dylan.

  45. #45
    What happened to those promised remixes of the Gus Dudgeon tracks by Sweet Feet Music? I seem to remember an announcement on social media stating they would be released last summer, and then it got pushed to the fall...and now nothing.

  46. #46
    I would love to just hear some nice jazz tunes from my girl,she has a very nice handle of those kinds of tunes..mary forever!!!

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    What happened to those promised remixes of the Gus Dudgeon tracks by Sweet Feet Music? I seem to remember an announcement on social media stating they would be released last summer, and then it got pushed to the fall...and now nothing.
    I remember them saying it was going to be a “red hot” summer, but I thought that was in 2017. They indicated “Red Hot” was going to get new remixes and then they would release the Gus Dudgeon tracks. I hope they don’t do any remixes on the Gus Dudgeon tracks. I just want clear, remastered mixes. None of that cheap dance crap added on. I remember there were photos of Mary in the studio just a few years ago, but I don’t know if it’s new tracks or if it had anything to do these remixes.

    I’ve been hoping she would do a jazz album. I have her Upclose live show on CD and hoped she’d do studio versions of several of those songs. She could get a lot of action in the jazz community with it (jazz clubs and festivals).
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 03-06-2019 at 07:57 PM.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I remember them saying it was going to be a “red hot” summer, but I thought that was in 2017. They indicated “Red Hot” was going to get new remixes and then they would release the Gus Dudgeon tracks. I hope they don’t do any remixes on the Gus Dudgeon tracks. I just want clear, remastered mixes. None of that cheap dance crap added on. I remember there were photos of Mary in the studio just a few years ago, but I don’t know if it’s new tracks or if it had anything to do these remixes.

    I’ve been hoping she would do a jazz album. I have her Upclose live show on CD and hoped she’d do studio versions of several of those songs. She could get a lot of action in the jazz community with it (jazz clubs and festivals).
    I loved the "Up Close" CD and DVD. Top quality music all the way!

  49. #49
    Why has this thread not been moved?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.