[REMOVE ADS]

Norman Lear, iconic TV and movie producer, dies at 101

He was a serious game-changer, but here's hoping he atoned for stealing "Good Times" right out from under Eric Monte. Rest well.

From EyewitnessNews.com-

Reaction to the death of pioneering TV figure Norman Lear

A collection of reactions to the death of Norman Lear, the writer, director and producer who revolutionized prime time television, who died Tuesday night at 101.

"I loved Norman Lear with all my heart. He was my second father. Sending my love to Lyn and the whole Lear family." - Rob Reiner, via X, formerly Twitter.

"More than anyone before him, Norman used situation comedy to shine a light on prejudice, intolerance, and inequality. He created families that mirrored ours." - Jimmy Kimmel, in a statement.

"A master of storytelling and a healer through his shows! He is what all of showbiz should be aspiring to. He is the consummate creative producer we have long abandoned in the industry." - John Leguizamo, via X.

"It's hard to reconcile that at 101 years old, Norman Lear is gone too soon. The entire world of reason just lost its greatest advocate and our family lost a dear friend. A giant walked in his shoes." - George Clooney, in a statement.

"My Goat. What a life. Rest well, Norman Lear." - Quinta Brunson, via X.

"A hero and someone who inspired me to try and bring as much laughter to the world as he bought to the little boy that I was. You sir are truly one of one! I'm so glad we were on the planet at the same time. Thank you for your example." - Tyler Perry, in a statement.

"Anyone who ever had a chance to say something pointed or political in an American television entertainment owes Norman Lear their adoration and awe. He saw what was possible in that vacuous glowing box and, almost singularly, he made it so." - David Simon, via X.

"Today is a very sad day. Norman Lear, a man who meant a lot to many on a personal level and who changed the face and soul of American comedy, has passed. My heart is heavy. I loved Norman." - Jane Fonda, in a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    He was a serious game-changer, but here's hoping he atoned for stealing "Good Times" right out from under Eric Monte. Rest well.
    According to an article about Eric Monte from Wikipedia, Eric sued CBS, Tandem Productions, & Lear. Monte would win a $1 Million settlement and residuals from Good Times. RIP Norman Lear.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    According to an article about Eric Monte from Wikipedia, Eric sued CBS, Tandem Productions, & Lear. Monte would win a $1 Million settlement and residuals from Good Times. RIP Norman Lear.
    Thanks for this. Rather a paltry sum in the grand scheme of things, but c'est la vie in Hollyweird, I guess.

A million back in 77 went along way. If he felt it wasn’t enough he could have fought it, but it’s interesting that Mike Evans wasn’t screaming the same claims seeing he was a co creator as well.
    Thanks for this. Rather a paltry sum in the grand scheme of things, but c'est la vie in Hollyweird, I guess.

I Agree! But at least Lear didn't get away 'scott free' for ripping offf Eric Monte.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    A million back in 77 went along way. If he felt it wasn’t enough he could have fought it, but it’s interesting that Mike Evans wasn’t screaming the same claims seeing he was a co creator as well.
    Mike Evans was part of the Lear fold and on the payroll as a cast member of "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons." He would never have killed the golden goose in that way. But, then again, Mike was unceremoniously replaced as Lionel by Damon Evans for 4 seasons for some reason or another. Maybe he'd done some "screaming" of his own behind the scenes after all. All conjecture, of course, but curious all the same.
    Last edited by sansradio; 12-07-2023 at 08:04 AM.

Mike was replaced in season 2-5 and came back season 6. Mostly over screen time. He might have screamed or complained behind closed doors or was a better negotiator to get his cut. Also remember we heard only half of the story. There’s always the other side.

Mike Evans was part of the Lear fold and on the payroll as a cast member of "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons." He would never have killed the golden goose in that way. But, then again, Mike was unceremoniously replaced as Lionel by Damon Evans for 4 seasons for some reason or another. Maybe he'd done some "screaming" of his own behind the scenes after all. All conjecture, of course, but curious all the same.