[REMOVE ADS]

Versions of the National Anthem

Led by an understated version by Miss Ross at her best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDKuRsMWcxU

And a version that was understated in it's own way, but pretty fierce.........Miss Labelle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGK2...eature=related

And the Soul Queen............Miss Franklin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhyxr...eature=related

Marvin's version beats the lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Marvin's version beats the lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A

Why wasn't this posted on the main forum?

To make it relate to Motown [[But I don't have links. ou'll have to find those on your own). Marvin Gaye sang a more traditional version of the National Aanthem during a 1968 World Sseries game between the Detroit Tigers & the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Jacson 5 have performed the National Anthem, as did the Four Tops.
    The Supremes performed it several times, although I'm not sure about the original trio. I've never heard a version.

I've never heard a version by the Temptations, though I'm pretty sure they've sung the anthem somewhere.

I know I am in the minority but I dont like Marvins version.

Temptations, of a sort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u6hW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PKZ8...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug5To...eature=related

Sorry about this ending up in Motown..........I was trying to bury Tony Twitter and it seemed to be the only way to do it!

Here is Mary Wilson singing the National Anthem. She also performed it in the film "Tiger Town"
    Last edited by marv2; 10-17-2010 at 11:16 PM.

So many of these versions are excellent; I prefer the more traditional versions; Mary Wilson's version is superb and stands with the best of these.

NOBODY, I SAID NOBODY , beats Marvin's version.

An incredible version!

I love how she makes singing the hard parts so easy.

pshark Guest
    Saw this via live closed circuit tv @ the Oakland Coliseum in 87.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    NOBODY, I SAID NOBODY , beats Marvin's version.
    And that's the bottom line.

A super version.

I saw Hillary end up on a Worst of the Superbowl along with Christina; some of these other versions are amongst the best.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_m_1056 View Post
    why wasn't this posted on the main forum?

To make it relate to motown [[but i don't have links. Ou'll have to find those on your own). Marvin gaye sang a more traditional version of the national aanthem during a 1968 world sseries game between the detroit tigers & the st. Louis cardinals.

The jacson 5 have performed the national anthem, as did the four tops.
    The supremes performed it several times, although i'm not sure about the original trio. I've never heard a version.

I've never heard a version by the temptations, though i'm pretty sure they've sung the anthem somewhere.
    i think they sang it at a lions game in the seventies.

Whitney Houston shut it down! There was no need for anyone else to ever sing that song again. They could just play the recording of her 1991 performance as they do here in New York everyday at the Noon hour! LOL!

smark21 Guest
    Let's not forget the Supremes [[MCS) singing the National Anthem a capella before a boxing match in Las Vegas.

olamaebarto Guest

Cher was pretty good too.

olamaebarto Guest
    I wish I had the video of Susaye singing at a Dodger game I saw in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Let's not forget the Supremes [[MCS) singing the National Anthem a capella before a boxing match in Las Vegas.

That was at the Ali vs Ron Lyle fight in May 1975. Ali knocked his ass out! LOL!!!!

I like how Mary took control at 1:05 and got the deal started..... Seasoned professionals, thanks Marv!

Here are facts regarding Whitney Houston's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" that I was not aware of :

The National Football League declaring Whitney's version of the song, the best in history

Whitney's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" being the only version EVER to chart on the Billboard Hot 100

Whitney's version of the National Anthem being the only version EVER to certify Platinum

Whitney's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" being inducted into the Smithsonian Museum of American History

AMAZING!

Marv

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here are facts regarding Whitney Houston's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" that I was not aware of :

The National Football League declaring Whitney's version of the song, the best in history

Whitney's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" being the only version EVER to chart on the Billboard Hot 100

Whitney's version of the National Anthem being the only version EVER to certify Platinum

Whitney's version of "The Star Spangled Banner" being inducted into the Smithsonian Museum of American History

AMAZING!

Marv
    Do you think it would have done as well if the US wasn't going to war at the time? Her version came at the perfect time and created the perfect storm as people in this country were whipped up with milataristic patriotic fervor.

I think the fact that we were at war [[something new for that generation at that time) was the reason why Whitney's version was so popular. Fans not around or too young at that time don't realize this. It was the "moment" not Whitney. Now granted, her vocals were an important part of the success of that song on the charts but it was the overall "moment in time".

Whitney's version actually charted twice. First during the Gulf War, and again after 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I think the fact that we were at war [[something new for that generation at that time) was the reason why Whitney's version was so popular. Fans not around or too young at that time don't realize this. It was the "moment" not Whitney. Now granted, her vocals were an important part of the success of that song on the charts but it was the overall "moment in time".
    No, that's not true. That's not true at all regarding the reason her version was so popular. I was a part of that generation at that time [[1991) and war was not a new thing. We were at war for very long time with Vietnam when I was a kid. ALSO, twenty later, in 2011 her version is the version that several radio stations here in New York play usually at 12 noon each day. Why do they do that? It isn't to remember the Gulf War I promise you. They play it because it is so GOOD that is now pretty much considered the definitive version of our National Anthem!

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 02-09-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Whitney's version actually charted twice. First during the Gulf War, and again after 9/11.
    Thank you Reese. I did not know that.

MS Wilson, Ms Ross and Mr Gaye. Beyonce can sing but she had too many runs. Whitney is up there but I heard she was lipsynching.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    MS Wilson, Ms Ross and Mr Gaye. Beyonce can sing but she had too many runs. Whitney is up there but I heard she was lipsynching.
    Stephanie yeah? But to who's voice? Here she is again singing it "live" the exact way she sang it at the Super Bowl a few weeks later in 1991 for the Welcome Home Heroes program:

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Do you think it would have done as well if the US wasn't going to war at the time? Her version came at the perfect time and created the perfect storm as people in this country were whipped up with milataristic patriotic fervor.
    And God delivered Whitney from her own personal war against drugs and with his guidance she'll stay away from them. She sounded great on the BET Celebration of Gospel Music when she was singing with Kim Burrell.

May the good Lord keep her away from the crack that almost destroyed her. Crack is a war right here in the US of A.

Has there ever been a male vocalist to sing the National Anthem for the Super Bowl?

Aaron Neville sang it with Aretha Franklin for SuperBowl XL.

I'm throwing this in....burps and all......

We went over the origin of the song together.....the whole story of the Battle at Ft McHenry....

and she wanted to do a version without listening to any others.