[REMOVE ADS]

"A Band Called DEATH" - Trailer - Documentary, 2013

As soon as I saw this I suspected it was going to be about a metal or punk band, two of my
    least favorite genres of music. When I saw they were black I said to myself so what? I don't care who's playing it, not my thing...But then...I went on youtube and actually listened to
    some of their pieces. Okay, hold up...though this is not what I would have gravitated to
    at that time these cats played just as good in this form as any other , yes, I'll say it, white
    band that got signed and cut releases, including MC5 and the Stooges so what the funk
    happened?...Though I do feel their name may have been an impediment when I listened to
    Politicians In My Eyes I thought wow, this is decades before Living Colour, 24-7 Spyz and
    Bad Brains, somebody could have took them on!..I'll have to see the doc in full but my
    impression at this time is that I think the record companies felt that these black dudes
    don't have any business playing like this and we're not going to promote them....
    Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.....

I am so looking forward to seeing this.

What happened was Clive Davis...

That's all you need to know, splanky. They were signed to CBS [[the Epic subsidiary) I believe...and they wanted them to not do punk rock and they left.

I rented this from Netflix and my wife and I watched it. I must say that neither one of us are fans of punk rock. The music used in the movie menu was not a good start but the movie got better and better and after watching the whole thing, I would say that even if you don't like this kind of music the film is great and very worth seeking out. I'm very glad I watched it.

During the movie, one music industry person said [[in looking back) I've never heard a story like this before. He must have not seen that movie [[forgot title) about the Hispanic guy who was long forgotten but found fame years later. Both stories are excellent. After the group "Death" broke up and the two of the brothers started another group called "Lambs Blood" or something like that. One of the songs they recorded was catchy we both liked it. What a prophetic movie this is. The brother [[David) who started the group handed over a master tape of their album to one of his brothers to keep. David said that one day the world would be asking for this music and that is exactly what happened years later. The movie also involves the brothers parents, and later their own kids who had a big role in "Death" being ressurected.

Awesome! I am a metal and punk fan, and it's about time black bands who did this music get recognized. Bands like Mother's Finest got through the first barrier, and Livid Colour got through the second. But, you know why Blacks couldn't break the big time in the 60s and 70s? Yes, label executives like Larkin Arnold who forced Black artists to stay
    Black, and radio, were both part of the problem, but it was also some Black audiences who largely resisted Black faces in what is considered a White boy's game. I've known many Black guys who were seriously into metal and punk in the 70s and 80s. My best friend during that time was. He went from pop, to jazz, to metal.

I'm looking forward to this film.

i say yes yes yes, music is music.Like it or not, heavy & not mainstream is so gooood. Always like music that give me another point of view, instead of repeat repeat repeat.
    I know many musicians, and the good ones liked all kind of music. Express yourself, is the name of the game. Politicians In My Eyes is a great tune.

That's right, Ollie. The musicians are always more open-minded musically than the fans are.

DAMN,how did I not know about this? I gotta see this film. BLACK FOLK INVENTED ROCK 'N' ROLL - WHY SHOULDN'T WE PLAY IT? Didn't Chuck Berry, Sly Stone, Jimi, Clinton, Mother's Finest, The Bus Boys, fishbone and Living Colour, etc. show us that?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 09-06-2013 at 10:18 AM.

I've wanted to see this one since the trailer broke a month or so ago. I'm a huge fan of Fishbone and I'd love to see this band, which looks like it laid tracks for bands - not just black bands - who followed.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    I rented this from Netflix and my wife and I watched it. I must say that neither one of us are fans of punk rock. The music used in the movie menu was not a good start but the movie got better and better and after watching the whole thing, I would say that even if you don't like this kind of music the film is great and very worth seeking out. I'm very glad I watched it.

During the movie, one music industry person said [[in looking back) I've never heard a story like this before. He must have not seen that movie [[forgot title) about the Hispanic guy who was long forgotten but found fame years later. Both stories are excellent. After the group "Death" broke up and the two of the brothers started another group called "Lambs Blood" or something like that. One of the songs they recorded was catchy we both liked it. What a prophetic movie this is. The brother [[David) who started the group handed over a master tape of their album to one of his brothers to keep. David said that one day the world would be asking for this music and that is exactly what happened years later. The movie also involves the brothers parents, and later their own kids who had a big role in "Death" being ressurected.
    The movie whose title I forgot was "Searching For Sugarman." that movie and "A Band Called Death" have the same theme.