• 8. The Player, Part 1 - First Choice

2 11.11%
  • 9. In The Bottle - Brother To Brother

2 11.11%
  • 10. Do It baby - Miracles

5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Cool Weekly Top 10 Billboard Hot Soul Singles, Week ending October 5, 1974

On the other board I frequent, we used to have a weekly Billboard chart of the top 10 singles for each week of any given year. I had trouble finding a chart for this particular week, so I picked one that was very close.

Anyway, the method is to pick your favorite songs from the chart and discuss any song in the chart for that week, positive or negative.

I was 11 years old when this chart hit, and was in my first year of jr. high school. There are only seven songs on this chart I know and like [[and I forgot to pick the Miracles song. I can't change it, either..oh well...).

Here is the first one:
    Last edited by soulster; 10-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Now this is the making of a great thread. I like this idea. Thanks Soulster.

pshark Guest
    Since you guys didn't vote for Higher Plane, I find its my funky duty to post the vid to show how smokin bad this jam is.

Oh yeah, I just forgot to pick it too. I remember it!

The only songs I don't know on this chart are #7,8, and 9. I am surprised to see Brother To Brother. I didn't think they made much of a dent here in the U.S.. I was a bit more into pop radio at this point.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I am surprised to see Brother To Brother. I didn't think they made much of a dent here in the U.S.. I was a bit more into pop radio at this point.
    Not my favorite track from them but it had enough funk to get over the hump. I prefer the original vers from Gil Scott-Heron

"Chance With You" was the jam though
    Last edited by pshark; 10-15-2010 at 03:27 AM.

Oh yeah! I was all over "Chance With You" when I lived in Texas. I finally got that song on CD, but it took decades for me to even find an old 45 of it.

I guess this kind of thing isn't too popular around here.

I'll maybe try one more this week.

phyl Guest
    i picked do it iuntil youre satisfied and coant get enough of your love thsoe are horny songs and i love them thats waht get down music is all aobut getting down ion the dance floor and getitng down behidn closed dodors with my man.

I was 19 when this chart came out. I remember that I bought the O.P. ,"Skin Tight" on the way home from work on a nasty rainy Friday. It was payday and there used to be this record store on Fordham Road and Webster ave. It had this funny round iron staircase that went to the second level where they sold 45's. Albums were on the first floor.
    Skin Tight was the first Mercury album for the O.P. They had grown a large following from the series of albums they had done on Westbound ,and the track before Skintight , which was Ectasy ,was the tightest the band had been up to that point [[IMO). But Skintight ,was a swift Funky slap upside the earhole. Up to then the Funk formula was composed of two main parts. That being J.B. and Sly. But then with the bass and horn intro of S.T. ,it was downright Funky. A chain reaction was in effect ,the Funk was spreading.
    You might notice that the chart has 5 "new comers", Ohio Players, B.T. Express ,Barry White , First Choice and Brother To Brother and the other 5 have been on the charts many time prior but would later change with the new sound.
    athese old charts can be good snapshots of the way music has evolved over time.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    You might notice that the chart has 5 "new comers"... B.T. Express...have been on the charts many time prior but would later change with the new sound.
    athese old charts can be good snapshots of the way music has evolved over time.
    I don't recall B.T. Express ever having been on the charts prior to "Do It...". According to Joel Whitburn's Billboard Top R&B Hits reference, they never charted prior to it.

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I don't recall B.T. Express ever having been on the charts prior to "Do It...". According to Joel Whitburn's Billboard Top R&B Hits reference, they never charted prior to it.
    You're right Soulster, they haven't. This was their debut lp & single. I think this was the first album I ever bought.
    This is how I rate these:
    1.Skin Tight
    2.Higher Plane
    3. You Haven't Done Nothin'
    4.Do It Til You're Satisfied
    5.Do It Baby
    6.Can't Get Enough Of Your Love
    7.Papa Don't Take No Mess
    8.In The Bottle

Funny - I was playing 'You haven't done nothin' a few times over the weekend. It didn't make much of a mark upon the UK charts, but, in my view, is not only Stevie's joint #1 best song ever [[Joint along with 'I don't know why'), it's one of my top 5 motown singles of the whole 1970s - doo doo wop, I say...