[REMOVE ADS]

Jermaine Jackson

I think it would be great if, for the next Hip-O collection, they would issue all of Jermaine Jackson's Motown-era albums. He is another artist in desperate need of adequate representation of his catalog in digital. It would also give them an opportunity to improve on the shoddy mastering of his first album currently found on iTunes, and for them to get the song "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" with a clean intro like the LP. Every CD with the song has a severe dropout right on the intro.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-14-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Soulster,thanks for this thread. I was hoping we would get around to discussing Jermaine Jackson's solo recordings. He had some really great ones that are often times overshadowed by his work with the Jackson Five and Michael Jackson's music. I heard "Let's Get Serious" over the weekend. After not hearing it for so very long it was a pleasure. That was a hot record in 1980 as was the album of the same name.

When you mentioned remastering of this first solo album, would that be the one that included "That's How Love Goes"?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

When you mentioned remastering of this first solo album, would that be the one that included "That's How Love Goes"?
    Yes. That's the opening track.

I love that song and Jermaine showed that he had great singing ability:

I happpen to adore "Paradise" [[in your eyes)..........

I like his cover of "Homeward Bound" more than the original by Simon & Garfunkel.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I like his cover of "Homeward Bound" more than the original by Simon & Garfunkel.
    I've never heard his version. Is it on an album? I enjoyed "Burnin' Hot" and "Feelin' Free" from his "Let's Get Serious" album. "Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming was a sleeper, but yet a JAM!!!!

It's on that first album we just discussed upthread. The hit single "Daddy's Home" is also on there. It's the last track.

Great, thanks.

Great, thanks.
    I think my needledrop is superior over the iTunes version. PM me if you're interested.

I will Soulster and thank you again.

Soulster,thanks for this thread. I was hoping we would get around to discussing Jermaine Jackson's solo recordings. He had some really great ones that are often times overshadowed by his work with the Jackson Five and Michael Jackson's music. I heard "Let's Get Serious" over the weekend. After not hearing it for so very long it was a pleasure. That was a hot record in 1980 as was the album of the same name.

I'd like to see Jermaine Jackson's first solo LP reissued. I think it was reissued in Japan. And maybe one or two of his other Motown solo albums, but everything he did at Motown is not worthy of being reissued in my opinion. He recorded some very uneven albums there...some should remain obscure.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    ... but everything he did at Motown is not worthy of being reissued in my opinion. He recorded some very uneven albums there...some should remain obscure.
    I'm glad it's just your opinion. Many of us would disagree.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me just as long as they respect my opinion which I gave. Personally, I don't see why Motown/UME would reissue Jermaine Jackson albums that hardly anyone bought the first time around. Jermaine Jackson was king of the cutout racks.

I totally disagree. I think Jermaine Jackson did some great music while at Motown. No one has smash after smash after smash, but he did have QUALITY songs, music, etc.

jonc Guest
    I totally disagree. I think Jermaine Jackson did some great music while at Motown. No one has smash after smash after smash, but he did have QUALITY songs, music, etc.
    Is Jermaine Jackson in your "hush hush" Motown 50th Anniversary Network TV Special Marfib? You know the one you announced you were working on last spring.

smark21 Guest
    What do you all think of Jermaine Jackson's output when he was on Arista in the 80's? I remember "Dynamite" being a moderate hit.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    What do you all think of Jermaine Jackson's output when he was on Arista in the 80's? I remember "Dynamite" being a moderate hit.
    I liked those songs too and the duet he did with Whitney Houston

Smark21, "Don't Take It Personal" was a JAMMMM!

Oh, and "Do What You Do" I remember getting a lot play in Philly back at the time I was living there.

They really put it down here. Check it out:

Last edited by cozmic; 10-16-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    I don't mind people disagreeing with me just as long as they respect my opinion which I gave. Personally, I don't see why Motown/UME would reissue Jermaine Jackson albums that hardly anyone bought the first time around. Jermaine Jackson was king of the cutout racks.
    There are cases to be made for at least three of his Motown albums. And, much lesser albums have been reissued on CD. There are scads of albums that didn't sell the first time around, but are now considered classics.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    He was good with his first two albums. After that, he got quite boring.

Some really good ones Cozmic, Thanks!!!

Cosmic, all some of these people need are reminders of how good these songs are!

Here's one more! Here we have Jermaine sounding quite a bit like Marvin towards the end of this record. "Feelin' Free" was very funky and was very popular in Detroit in '80:

Thumbs up

Thanks Marv & Soulster ! Yeah, i think J'maine has also some good skills
    on various instruments though his voice and the bass are his main powers :

ridin' the new wave with DEVO, lol

a cool tune with some excellent studio-photos added

Last edited by cozmic; 10-16-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Jermaine had a really good, no frills, no gimmicks type voice which is something I could appreciate in a vocal artist. Going all the back to the first video we noted here. If you pay close attention ,Jermaine displays very rhythmic, syncopated vocal ability on "That's How Love Goes" which tells he could sing just about anything put in front of him.

Great track that "Feelin' Free" Marv ! ... cool floating vibe with the strings and tight rhythm section.
    Yeah, with the falsetto in the end he approaches indeed Marvin's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmic View Post
    Great track that "Feelin' Free" Marv ! ... cool floating vibe with the strings and tight rhythm section.
    Yeah, with the falsetto in the end he approaches indeed Marvin's voice.

That song, that album gave me a whole new respect for Jermaine Jackson as an artist. Keep in mind that he and his brothers had been on the national scene for about 10 years by the time he released the "Let's Get Serious" album. He showed that he could throw down too when he wanted to! LOL!

I actually remember seeing that performance of "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" on television when it originally aired. Earlier, around that time I saw him do it on the Merv Griffin Show backed up by none other than Rebie and LaToya Jackon!

uptight Guest
    It's fun to give those older albums another whirl with a new perspective. Back in the day, the companies often had too many great artists to provide equal marketing for all. And some albums just were ahead of their time and are now considered masterpieces.

I've had a few Jermaine LPs and singles, and it would be refreshing to hear them all now. Recently I bought the Arista one with Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming on CD, as I had the original vinyl. Good material.
    Last edited by uptight; 10-16-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Did you guys not get Big Brother Jermaine - the UK release

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    it's criminal how My Touch Of Madness was not included on that cd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3eacUIuHfU

William Bickelhaupt, Michael [[Love)Smith + Mike & Brenda Sutton all helped out on his Motown LP 'My Name Is Jermaine'
    [[see other current threads on here for more info on these guys other work).

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    No, I've never heard of it.

Legend has it that jermaine was being touted as the new prince of motown,after he married into the gordy family and his solo career was taking off,but we all know there was only one prince[marvin]and he wasn't too worried about being upsurped by the kid!

^ Yeah plus Marvin was kinda like "that fool ain't gonna take my spot, just because he married Hazel." He didn't attend the wedding either because he knew Jermaine was trying to be him. Remember Marvin was Jermaine's IDOL. lol As for Jermaine's solo career, it didn't exactly pan out even then. When he and Michael were releasing material at the same time, Michael always usurped him. He had two hits during the J5 run [["That's How Love Goes" and "Daddy's Home") while Michael had about, I think, five by the time the Jackson 5 left Motown [["Got to Be There", "I Wanna Be Where You Are", "Rockin' Robin", "Ben", "Just a Little Bit of You") and at least four more hits overseas [["Ain't No Sunshine", "Happy", "One Day in Your Life", "Farewell My Summer Love"). So technically if you was gonna coin anyone else besides Marvin as the "prince of Motown", it would've been Michael.

Jermaine only got lucky with Stevie because Stevie knew how to produce him. Other folks didn't know what to do with Jermaine and Jermaine ended up having to produce himself just to prove he had stake in the company [[he's the reason Switch and DeBarge were signed to Motown and he produced most of Switch's albums). He also produced Syreeta's "The Spell". The two had a good partnership.

I think his Motown years were his peak because after he left and tried to compete with Michael's stardom that's when he fell off. And he hasn't recovered since. And at a time when he should be touring with his own hits, he's still trying to ride his little brother's coattails.

Speaking of Jermaine's music, these are my favorites from him as a solo artist:

[[the latter song he's trying to get his Isley Brothers game on lol)

Also loved his lead in "I Am Love". His best lead vocal as a member of the Jackson 5 to me by far. Way better than "I Found That Girl" though I loved that one too.

I remember when I heard Bass Odyssey I fell in love with Jermaines work Its a shame he is in the shadow of Michael because he put out some really good material. His co leads with Michael are awesome and he blew me away when he did Smile at Mikes memorial service.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Legend has it that jermaine was being touted as the new prince of motown,after he married into the gordy family and his solo career was taking off,but we all know there was only one prince[marvin]and he wasn't too worried about being upsurped by the kid!
    Many thought that Jermaine would emerge as a big star.