[REMOVE ADS]

Spinners first lp on atlantic

Hey everyone! Here is my article about the Spinners' first LP on Atlantic. Hope you enjoy!

http://soultrain.com/2013/04/01/clas...-the-spinners/

Quote Originally Posted by funkyone71 View Post
    Hey everyone! Here is my article about the Spinners' first LP on Atlantic. Hope you enjoy!

http://soultrain.com/2013/04/01/clas...-the-spinners/
    I have a copy of this album having purchased it when it was released. An excellent review of a great album. I only wish that Motown would have secured Thom Bell and reaped the benefits of their great success. Thanks for sharing this review. I will print it out and put with my album.

In efforts to clean up my study 15 years ago,
    I dumped all my audio tapes.
    The only 2 I couldn't part with were this album
    and another Spinners audio tape.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I have a copy of this album having purchased it when it was released. An excellent review of a great album. I only wish that Motown would have secured Thom Bell and reaped the benefits of their great success.
    I'm glad he didn't enter into an exclusive contract with Motown. Philadelphia is right where he needed to be. He would not have been able to do the kind of work he did under Motown.

Not only my favorite album of all time, but the first album I ever bought. Still listening to it after all these years. It's near-perfect. The blend of singing, amazing MFSB instruments, and Thom Bell's production was perfect. Can't leave out the great songwriters either ... Hawes, Simons, Creed, Phil Hurtt, etc.

This LP is a perfect example of MOTOWN dropping the ball. Both with the group and producer. Stevie's ,"It's A Shame" happened to late for MOTOWN. It showed that STEVIE was on the rise and that the group could be good under proper production. This album didn't blow up proper until the "MIGHTY LOVE" album ,which thrust the SPINNERS into the forefront. Go back to the first ATLANTIC/THOM BELL album and you will see that it is just as good as ML. MOTOWN slept cause they kept the same formula ,without moving forward. Not only with production outside the company but technicaly ,as I have seen 4 channel releases of this album. Another example of dispeling the "If you leave the company you will fail MOTWN myth of the time. This album is classic THOM BELL/SPINNERS.

I love Motown, but love The Spinners and Thom Bell more. Motown never could've produced something like this. MFSB is smooth, sophisticated soul. Motown is more pop -- I love it, but it's more pop, heavier drumming [[which I enjoy, of course), and that echo sound that most of their albums have. Bell did not want a Motown sound. Motown would've ruined Bell's sound. They already dumped the group, pretty much. Philly was the perfect fit. Even Eddie Kendricks saw it. When they were auditioning Phillippe Wynne, Kendricks stuck his head in the studio and said something like, "You best hire that mofo" or something like that. The Spinners had moved on from "That's What Girls Are Made For" and grew up to "I'll Be Around."

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I'm glad he didn't enter into an exclusive contract with Motown. Philadelphia is right where he needed to be. He would not have been able to do the kind of work he did under Motown.
    I totally agree...Motown and Thom Bell are on 2 different planets.

Van McCoy produced 3 of David Ruffins albums. Although they did moderate in sales ,they are some of David' best solo work. Not pushed by MOTOWN's promotion they were still popular.Those albums did not sound like MOTOWN ,they were Van McCoy and Co. productions ,On the MOTOWN label. More outside producers would have IMO expanded on the "Sound of Young America" , but MOTOWN stayed stuck on it's old formula. The market and music changed and they didn't move forward . After HDH walked ,they should have learned.

I just came across the 4 channel copies of the first album and "New And Improved". The first albums 4 channel mix was done by Thom Bell. I played it thru Dolby 5.1 and it sounded great. Wynne is up front and the strings are also .

Tom Bell has a new re-mixed CD dropping this Tuesday. I pr-ordered mine last month. It contains two songs from the Spinners classic first Atlantic album. I'm usually not a fan of re-mixes and usually go back to the original after hearing the remix a few times. But Tom Bell is the exception. He doesn't destroy or replace the original. He enhances it.

I found two re-mixes from the new CD on YouTube, but they are short edited versions. Can't wait for my CD to arrive so I can hear what Tom Bell did to some of my favorite songs.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/philly...s-mw0002531416