[REMOVE ADS]

Ten Years--I Just Can't Believe It!

This Memorial Day weekend marks TEN YEARS since the big get-together we had at the Cass Cafe in Detroit.

I will always maintain that those were three of the most amazing days I've ever had...just getting to meet as many wonderful people as I did...David Meikle, Harry Desai, Carl Dixon, Kevin Goins, Joe Moorehouse, Joe Weaver, James Ellis, Vicki Alexander, Terri Hood, Stanley Mitchell, Joe Hunter, Gil Bridges, Mike McLain, Dennis Coffey and his future wife Millie, and so many others.

Of course, that Saturday afterward was a very dizzying array of emotions...from sadness at seeing Darrell Banks's unmarked grave [[which led to the successful effort of getting him a stone) to total surprise [[me and the other intrepid heroes being cheered like rock stars at the library concert we attended, all because we came up to D-Town to celebrate the city's musical heritage) to having total fun just watching Carl sit in with the band at Claussen's Steak House.

And as I've said before, I can't think of four better people to spend a weekend in Detroit with than David, Harry, Carl and KevGo...we really had NO clue on how to navigate the Motor City, but we got to where we needed to go, and listened to some great tunes along the way. I treasure that weekend, and I hope some of you others who were there feel the same way.

Best,

Mark

Blimey Mark, indeed. Time flies....much has happened since then with the music, the politics, the world etc.

Yes, they were good days. It was certainly an honour to meet you all face to face. Priceless times. Do you remember when David bumped into Mike downstairs at that Motel, not knowing he was staying there,like us? I was in agony with my back and crouched in the back seat of that low roofed car! Yes, the Darrell Banks project....wow! All because of David's passion we went to locate the grave and pay our respects. What about the gentleman who helped us find it that worked there. His eyes filled with tears when he questioned us why were all visiting an unmarked grave. And I bought Dennis Coffey a beer in the Cass and said to him 'one day I will be there with my songs' and he said 'when you do, I will play on them'! The rest is history. A direct result of the power of Soulful Detroit back then.And yes, me onstage - the first time ever in my life. I cheekily said to Dennis on stage 'I bet you never thought you would be on stage with me' ha ha.

And you know something...one of the most prolific gentlemen involved with how all that came about was The Royaltones sax player George Katsakis. I tell you, he can see things others cannot. He should be acknowledged for nudging me in the right direction ever since those early days of Soulful Detroit. Always very supportive and wanted things to happen. In 2006 I flew out on Bobby's invitation to witness 'A Soulful tale of two cities' being recorded at Studio 'A', George said to me there one day we would work together...and we did. He is an excellent ambassador for the Detroit music scene. Dennis was fantastic. He really did a terrific job on the production of my songs. Priceless.

Do you remember when I cleaned Uriel Jones shoes at the library? And those questionnaires that asked whether the musicians were any good plonked on the chairs before we sat down? I ask you: Joe Hunter, Uriel Jones, Marcus Belgrave, Tanya Hood,Fred Bryant [[I think - the bass player). Can you believe it lol!

Of course myself, David and Harry had visited New York and Philly before Detroit meeting Bobby and Weldon, who took us around the city showing us the studio locations and musical places of interests. A cracking visit I tell you! Bobby Eli...what a bloke! I was blown away with his knowledge and who and what he knew about the music, business etc. Again, priceless. Bobby took us to meet Frank Bendinelli [[Patti and the Emblems - I'm gonna love you a long long time), we had him nearly in tears. What a gentleman.

You have my mind racing Mark.

Carl
    Last edited by 55Motown; 05-27-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Mike McLain was quite a character...I remember when he jumped out in front of David in nothing but his undershorts, scaring the crap out of him!

James was the first name of the guy at the cemetery...can't remember his last name. I'd like to say Monroe, but I'm not totally certain, but he did direct us to Darrell's resting place.

Good to see that your memories are just as fond, Carl!

Best,

Mark

Mark / Carl
    I am glad you both have as fond memories as i have and like you said i can't believe that 10 years have passed. I always look back on the people that i met in Detroit with great fondness and thank them for all their kindness and it was all through our love of the great music from Detroit. You have mentioned a lot of people that need to be thanked and another 2 would be Lowell himself and also Sisdetroit. Dave and I hung around with Sis and she was great company and introduced us to lots of people, especially Laura Lee amongst others. Those were great times coming to Detroit and meeting all those wonderful people.
    regards
    HARRY DHESI

Great to hear from you, Harry!

Best,

Mark

Hi Harry - long time. Hope all is well up there. Give David my very best. He got the ball rolling for me. Do you two ever travel to any NS gigs these days? I will be in Prestatyn in March all being well, when Spyder Turner comes over. I do the Hull Soul Club, Teddington Soul Nights and 'Too darn soulful' in Plymouth when I get chance - which is not very often.

You mention 'SisDetroit' - a gem of a lady. All sadly missed. Without that dynamic for its good and bad in those days, I would never have done my Detroit session. I tend to Facebook these days. I find the niche forums a little heavy going for me, especially those who think the format is more important than the music lol!

For those curious what this thread is about, as a direct result of SouldfulDetroit I managed to do this in Detroit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuRf...FE0238677B41EB

and this in Philly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbh3KR8GNkc

I think many relationships were forged back then and now we are 10 years older ha ha!
    Last edited by 55Motown; 07-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Carl
    Long time since i went down to England for a NS gig, play my music in my front room [[ sad ).
    I look at photo's from Detroit and remember what a great time we had. Glad you are doing well and give my regards to Spyder Turner - i have a great photo of me and him and we look like brothers with our shaved heads!!
    regards

Hi Harry

the front room - sad! No it's not. That's called conviction. You know what you like! I go out to relax, dance, do research for my next musical quest etc. I listen in my spare room where I write the songs constantly, still analysing what they did 40/50 years ago...and with all these CD remixes of the Philly stuff from Tom Moulton, I get ideas and hear how they did it.....and write.

How about this, Demon records have licensed this we cut in Philly in 2008 - it's on th latest Double CD called 'Philly regrooved 3 - The Tom Moulton remixes'. Track 9, CD 2 following The Trammps/Hold back the night! Half the songs on that CD inspired me to do something with my quest back in the 1970's. So, thanks to SD...I did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9Z0tXWwDI

Yes, I will give Spyder Turner your regards when we meet up. I am very tempted to get loads of stuff done in both cities again. I have some great new material and ideas. But, it is costly..and everybody wants 'Something for nothing' pardon the pun [[MFSB for those who do not know).

All the best
    Carl
    www.bandtraxs.com

Harry/Mark

When we met in 2003, I was in the process of writing my songs, which would eventually [[some of them) end up in a studio being recorded in Dearborn Heights/Detroit in 2008! The power of this forum back then created an environment where individuals made extremely meaningful relationships. Even though I do not see or speak to you much these days, I still remember our passion and how we came to meet and....all because of the music.

Yes, I am still writing and creating things for eventual release, so little acorns etc. Here are a couple of tracks that I am working on right now, if you are interested, that will be for sale when complete. Listen to the groove and guess which city is responsible lol!:

Latte straight
    https://soundcloud.com/55motown/latte-straight-16

Clearly
    https://soundcloud.com/55motown/clearly-ver-8

Guess he's just an old friend
    https://soundcloud.com/55motown/gues...n-old-friend-1

Just to let you know I am still '55motown' on YouTube and Soundcloud!

All the best
    Carl

Harry, you still dancing around the living room? I am about to release this shortly as a blue eyed affair by 'The Delgonives':-
    https://soundcloud.com/55motown/lovi...the-delgonives

Carl
    Good to hear that you are still making music. I have played it several times, very Philly , very 70's and very easy on th ear. Keep up your passion.
    Harry