[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cindy Birdsong needs our help

From the HAL Awards Scholarship Foundation facebook page:

The HAL Scholarship Fund will be responding to the needs of a member of our beloved Motown Family. We have established The Supreme Love Endowment Fund to lend needed aid to Miss Cindy Birdsong, who is experiencing severe health issues and accompanying financial burdens.

For all the joy, love and smiles that Cindy has bought to us, her fans, over the years we ask for your help in giving just a little back to her. For those who want to donate via credit card or PayPal, simply go to www.halawards.com and click on the "Donate" button under Cindy's picture. If you are donating by check, please make your check out to HAL and specify on the note line “Donation for Cindy Birdsong.”

Mail your donation to:
    HAL Scholarship Fund
    361 S. Oakhurst Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90212.

It was Mary Wilson who called Janie Bradford and said, "Hey we got to do something for Cindy. She needs our help." and so Supreme bandmate, Mary agreed to attend the HAL Awards this year, scheduled for Sunday, September 22, 2013 and present the endowment to Cindy.

http://www.halawards.com
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 05-20-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Just shaking my head.

she is in my prayers

although I don't get the scholarship Part????can someone clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    although I don't get the scholarship Part????can someone clarify?
    All i know is that i will be supporting this cause with a donation, and I hope Cindy receives much loving support from fans on this cite. Cindy has brought me much joy through all her years as a performer period.

Oh no!

How much of each dollar that gets donated goes to Miss Cindy Birdsong? If it only 50 cents on the dollar Id rather write a check directly to Cindy.

This lovely and gracious and kind lady is in my prayers tonight and every night.

May God watch over Miss Cindy Birdsong.

Roberta

revvy Guest
    May God bless you, dear Cindy. You are loved by everyone you have touched. You can count me in for a contribution.
    Last edited by revvy; 05-21-2013 at 01:32 AM.

i wanna give, but this website seems like alot of money could go to other places. anybody have any stats on just what % cindy will be getting?

Quote Originally Posted by thisoldheart View Post
    i wanna give, but this website seems like alot of money could go to other places. anybody have any stats on just what % cindy will be getting?
    I never thought I would ever agree with Roberta, however both she and thisoldheart are spot on.

Monetary donations to anyone in a tragedy or in a life threatening situation should be made available immediately. The funds should not have to go through a secondary organization to reach the individual/group that requires immediate assistance. And such tragedy should never require a formal presentation by a celebrity at a fundraising event that is occurring months later.

The established and accepted way to donate to personalized causes such as Cindy Birdsong’s or any others is through a bank trust account set up in the name of the individual or group to be helped. The funds go directly to that specific trust account and may be drawn upon without delay. There is no intermediary or gala.

A Motown alum’s tragedy is not a featured one-time presentation. It should not be orchestrated as a PR placement to benefit an organization or a presenter. And there are so many more Motown tragedies that have unfolded and are unfolding.

If Mary Wilson did indeed initiate this fund by calling Janie Bradford to collect funds for Cindy through her Janie Bradford’s Heroes and Legends Scholarship Fund organization then they have both done a disservice to Cindy. And one should always be diligent that the organization is a legitimate 501[[c) [[3) organization that files annually with the IRS or it places the donation at risk.

Again a bank trust set up in Cindy’s name with the donations flowing through it will provide Cindy with immediate funds and the financial help that she needs today.

Quote Originally Posted by stalebagel View Post
    I never thought I would ever agree with Roberta, however both she and thisoldheart are spot on.

Monetary donations to anyone in a tragedy or in a life threatening situation should be made available immediately. The funds should not have to go through a secondary organization to reach the individual/group that requires immediate assistance. And such tragedy should never require a formal presentation by a celebrity at a fundraising event that is occurring months later.

The established and accepted way to donate to personalized causes such as Cindy Birdsong’s or any others is through a bank trust account set up in the name of the individual or group to be helped. The funds go directly to that specific trust account and may be drawn upon without delay. There is no intermediary or gala.

A Motown alum’s tragedy is not a featured one-time presentation. It should not be orchestrated as a PR placement to benefit an organization or a presenter. And there are so many more Motown tragedies that have unfolded and are unfolding.

If Mary Wilson did indeed initiate this fund by calling Janie Bradford to collect funds for Cindy through her Janie Bradford’s Heroes and Legends Scholarship Fund organization then they have both done a disservice to Cindy. And one should always be diligent that the organization is a legitimate 501[[c) [[3) organization that files annually with the IRS or it places the donation at risk.

Again a bank trust set up in Cindy’s name with the donations flowing through it will provide Cindy with immediate funds and the financial help that she needs today.
    I am with Roberta and Stalebagel on this one. I love Cindy Birdsong and would be happy to send some hard earned money to help out but this doesn't seem like the way to do it.

Penny

Totally agree with Stalebagel.

When there is a fundraiser, get the consent of the party being raised for and their agreement to whatever kind of publicity there will be. What is the plan here ~ to have someone who isn't well be placed on a stage in front of people to acknowledge their difficult times?

This is one of the issues that plagues well known charities as well ~ a lot of the money goes to administration.

revvy Guest
    I, too, would much rather send a donation directly to Cindy, however Mary's heart is in the right place. Perhaps she wants to formally recognize Cindy's contribution to music and to the Supremes, surrounded by people who love her. I consider Cindy a hero and a legend and she should be acknowledged for that.

Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for.

I'll bet Scherrie Payne would be a good person to contact to send a donation directly to Cindy. Here is the link to her business contact: info@lavoixstudio.com
    Last edited by revvy; 05-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Andy and George are often here and they may be able to give input. And Mary will probably post something on her website.

Does anyone know the source of Cindy's medical issues? I think it's a fair question; if we're being asked to send money, we should know what the condition is. I hate to speculate, but I just saw a recent post regarding Cindy along the lines of: "I wish I would have picked her brain".....which I read as, Cindy possibly has memory loss, alzheimer's or dementia. Don't take that as gospel truth; just my guess.

I think Mary's heart was in the right place; she probably approcahed Janie as maybe she has more contacts and can get the word out?

Regardless, it's and interesting subject; I send my prayers and well wishes to Cindy for a speedy recovery, from whatever ails her. And hopefully her ex-husband Charles can come through; I thought he was a successful businessman? Hopefully he has some funds to help support the mother of his child.

Thank you for that backhanded complimentt stalebagel.

I agree about getting the funds directly to Cindy.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    I, too, would much rather send a donation directly to Cindy, however Mary's heart is in the right place. Perhaps she wants to formally recognize Cindy's contribution to music and to the Supremes, surrounded by people who love her. I consider Cindy a hero and a legend and she should be acknowledged for that.

Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for.

I'll bet Scherrie Payne would be a good person to contact to send a donation directly to Cindy. Here is the link to her business contact: info@lavoixstudio.com
    "Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for."

Seriously a woman is ill and all you can think about is a reunion. You think Miss Cindy Birdsong want a camera in her house or hospital when shes ill?

You amaze me.

Roberta

Hope Cindy gets all the love and help she deserves. Maybe Cindy doesn't want the public to know she is in poor health. I suspect Mary's heart was in the right place, but I don't know if this route is what Cindy would want. If Mary really wanted to help, why wouldn't she give Cindy some money? Hopefully word will get back to Diana. Diana has helped her Supreme Sisters in the past, I'm sure she would do the same again.

Mary is performing at small venues, sharing the bill sometimes, and tickets are sometimes as low as $25 which she has to share. She may not be able to help Cindy financially.

But, Cindy is a senior citizen collecting social security and health bills are paid primarily by medicare. Most senior citizens have secondary insurance to pay what medicare doesn't. So even though she may have medical problems, I wonder what the financial need is. Also, Cindy has a grown son in his forties. Is he helping her in any way?

Many charities take out huge administrative fees for advertising and telemarketers. Lucky if ten percent of your donation goes to the cause that you donated to. 60 Minutes did a piece on this.

I wonder if Cindy wanted her personal situation known to the public.

She had a book that was supposed to be released last year. If that project moves forward, it will generate income.

revvy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    "Perhaps Diana will show up and we can finally have that Supremes reunion we have all been waiting for."

Seriously a woman is ill and all you can think about is a reunion. You think Miss Cindy Birdsong want a camera in her house or hospital when shes ill?

You amaze me.

Roberta
    Good Lord, Roberta. Where is your mind sometimes? I'm not talking about a full-on Vegas review. I'm talking about having those 3 ladies together in the same room sharing a common love and respect for each other as well as a caring compassion when a fellow member needs help. Who said anything about cameras or exploitation? Honestly, think before you write.
    Last edited by revvy; 05-21-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Yeah, meaning IN PRIVATE. But we don't know, maybe they do keep in contact. We don't know the story of the real Supremes from what we're told to believe. I just wish Cindy the best regardless. Mary definitely has her heart in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Totally agree with Stalebagel.

When there is a fundraiser, get the consent of the party being raised for and their agreement to whatever kind of publicity there will be. What is the plan here ~ to have someone who isn't well be placed on a stage in front of people to acknowledge their difficult times?

This is one of the issues that plagues well known charities as well ~ a lot of the money goes to administration.
    That's why people sometimes don't donate money to charities because the money doesn't go to help anyone but whoever leads the administration. That's what so messed up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Does anyone know the source of Cindy's medical issues? I think it's a fair question; if we're being asked to send money, we should know what the condition is. I hate to speculate, but I just saw a recent post regarding Cindy along the lines of: "I wish I would have picked her brain".....which I read as, Cindy possibly has memory loss, alzheimer's or dementia. Don't take that as gospel truth; just my guess.

I think Mary's heart was in the right place; she probably approcahed Janie as maybe she has more contacts and can get the word out?

Regardless, it's and interesting subject; I send my prayers and well wishes to Cindy for a speedy recovery, from whatever ails her. And hopefully her ex-husband Charles can come through; I thought he was a successful businessman? Hopefully he has some funds to help support the mother of his child.
    That is a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That's why people sometimes don't donate money to charities because the money doesn't go to help anyone but whoever leads the administration. That's what so messed up about it.
    Why do I get the feeling that maybe Cindy or a family member [[her son David maybe) wanted Mary to contact Janie Bradford of the HAL Awards organization. Cindy has a prior relationship with Janie an the organization and I believe is a member of the organization.
    I've heard that Cindy has not been in the best of health in the past few years, and I don't know if anyone noticed, but at Scherrie's play debut Cindy was using a cane. I don't have much but like the others I would like to give directly to Cindy. Also keep in mind if you make a large donation to an organization like the HAL awards you can write the donation off on your taxes. Cindy is in my prayers

Quote Originally Posted by revvy View Post
    Good Lord, Roberta. Where is your mind sometimes? I'm not talking about a full-on Vegas review. I'm talking about having those 3 ladies together in the same room sharing a common love and respect for each other as well as a caring compassion when a fellow member needs help. Who said anything about cameras or exploitation? Honestly, think before you write.
    Is it really that important to you revvy? You are the one that was on about a photo of the three ladies during the opening of motown the Musicals.

Cindy has stated that shes got a real good relationship with Diane and a real good relationship with Mary. Isnt that enough. Maybe shje wants her illness to be private as shes a dignified woman. You should think before you write my dear.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that maybe Cindy or a family member [[her son David maybe) wanted Mary to contact Janie Bradford of the HAL Awards organization. Cindy has a prior relationship with Janie an the organization and I believe is a member of the organization.
    I've heard that Cindy has not been in the best of health in the past few years, and I don't know if anyone noticed, but at Scherrie's play debut Cindy was using a cane. I don't have much but like the others I would like to give directly to Cindy. Also keep in mind if you make a large donation to an organization like the HAL awards you can write the donation off on your taxes. Cindy is in my prayers
    A family member I can believe, if Cindy is as sick as it's claimed...

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I considered making a $150 donation to Cindy via PayPalbut thought I should make an effort to do my due diligence first. Glad I did, because look what I found:
    IRS Revocation Date [[effective date on which organization's tax exemption was automatically revoked):
    15-May-2010
    Employer Identification Number [[EIN):
    95-4541629
    Legal Name:
    JANIE BRADFORD HAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND
    Exemption Type:
    501[[c)[[3)
    Underinvestigation by IRS

Until I see this on Mary's website I will not act on it.

I've known about Cindy's condition for some time. Remember guys, this beloved woman is 74 years old. She has lost quite a lot of weight but otherwise continues to smile and stay in touch as much as she can with the fans and the former ladies

Oh man. This is really sad news. My prayers go out to the wonderful and sweet Ms.B. Realistically I know shes up in age but I'm still hoping and praying for a recovery from whatever it is.

I considered making a $150 donation to Cindy via PayPalbut thought I should make an effort to do my due diligence first. Glad I did, because look what I found:
    IRS Revocation Date [[effective date on which organization's tax exemption was automatically revoked):
    15-May-2010
    95-4541629
    Legal Name:
    Exemption Type:
    501[[c)[[3)
    I too will wait until Mary or Scherrie or even Susaye chimes in. I'm pretty sure they would be in the know but maybe Cindy wants to remain private and I can respect that. We will hear something soon enough.

We all would love to see Cindy bounce back to the Cindy we know and love from the 60s and 70s. But guys, we have to prepare ourselves. When one gets a certain age, little health problems become big ones and the number of problems accelerate too. I swear, at 57, I hate going on a yearly physical. They find out more things wrong with me than I ever realized. I have high cholesterol now, some gout. All in all, in good shape for my age.

But going into one's 70s and 80s, one will begin to deteriorate a little faster. It's the joke that Father Time plays on us. My prayer for Cindy is that she not be in pain and will recognize those who love her and especially all the millions who loved her from afar. She gave a lot to heritage of the Supremes. She should never have been allowed to go broke [[by her own admission) after all those years.

I'm hoping Ross and BG step in here. It would be the right thing to do.

There was a post by Soul Sister [[I think) somewhere on this Forum in the last few months; a really good post.

She referred to the expectation we have that because you had a hit record or a few and dressed in some nice clothes and got out of a fancy car and were on TV, that you are well off, well heeled, have a lot of money. [[I'm paraphrasing). And she went on to say that the perception is so often wrong.

Many of us would help Cindy directly to the extent we can.

If the right contact were made with the right people around Berry Gordy, he may help. Ditto for Miss Ross; she helped before for Ms. Wells, Ms. Bradford, Ms. Birdsong and Ms. Wilson.

I will post something for the Berry Gordy Family Foundation following, if I can find it.

http://non-profit-organizations.find...ily-Foundation

There may be some potential assistance there.

I can only post the URL, not the contents.

15-May-2010
    95-4541629
    Legal Name:
    Exemption Type:
    501[[c)[[3)
    Say word??? Wow...

Many people have known about CIndy's particular health issues for quite awhile but I dont think we should discuss them until Cindy or someone close to her chooses to.

Sorry to hear this and to read this post but before I jump in I will confirm some of the info and details. There is so much more we can do if its true.

Most merciful and eternal God, the everlasting Salvation of those who believe, hear on my behalf my prayer of healing and strength for your sick sister in Christ our beloved Cindy Birdsong for whom we beg the aid of your pitying mercy and your healing power. with Sister Cindy Birdsongs bodily health restored, she may give thanks to you in her church that she loves with her heart and soul. Please hear my prayer and heal our sister Cindy Birdsong. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ who died on the cross for all of us. Oh heal her Lord and raise her from her sick bed. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Sorry to hear this and to read this post but before I jump in I will confirm some of the info and details. There is so much more we can do if its true.
    Please keep us posted. So many of us would like to help if we can.
    I got wind that Cindy wasn't in the best of health a few years back. The person didn't go into any details and I respect them for that, they said we should keep Cindy in our thoughts and prayers

Most merciful and eternal God, the everlasting Salvation of those who believe, hear on my behalf my prayer of healing and strength for your sick sister in Christ our beloved Cindy Birdsong for whom we beg the aid of your pitying mercy and your healing power. with Sister Cindy Birdsongs bodily health restored, she may give thanks to you in her church that she loves with her heart and soul. Please hear my prayer and heal our sister Cindy Birdsong. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ who died on the cross for all of us. Oh heal her Lord and raise her from her sick bed. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Amen.

Roberta, That is so beautiful. God bless you, Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Roberta, That is so beautiful. God bless you, Kenneth
    Thank you my dear Kenneth. There is power in prayer and God hear us.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Stalebagel, Thisoldheart and Roberta asked valid questions. The part about making donations out to HAL bothered me as well. That raised a red flag. I would like to donate too but directly to Cindy Birdsong. I don't know if celebrities qualify for medicare and health insurance. They didn't have those safeguards in place when they were younger and making money. They were told to look out for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    .... I don't know if celebrities qualify for medicare and health insurance. They didn't have those safeguards in place when they were younger and making money. They were told to look out for themselves.
    Medicare is health insurance. Everyone is eligible for it when they turn 65. It pays for 80% of medical bills. You can also add a prescription plan to it for about $40 a month. At 73 years old, she should also be getting a social security check, but those are usually not big enough to live on. Most people of her generation, who did not expect to get pensions from their jobs, planned ahead and invested some of their income into IRAs or mutual funds so that their old age would be at least comfortable. And it is a good thing that they did. Because they now have children in their forties who lived on credit cards, bought homes they could not not afford, faced foreclosure and now are living with their mommies and daddies. I wonder what financial condition her son is in and if he is helping her in any way.

After seeing that the HAL Scholarship fund is under investigation, I would be reluctant to send any money to them on CIndy's behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Medicare is health insurance. Everyone is eligible for it when they turn 65. It pays for 80% of medical bills. You can also add a prescription plan to it for about $40 a month. At 73 years old, she should also be getting a social security check, but those are usually not big enough to live on. Most people of her generation, who did not expect to get pensions from their jobs, planned ahead and invested some of their income into IRAs or mutual funds so that their old age would be at least comfortable. And it is a good thing that they did. Because they now have children in their forties who lived on credit cards, bought homes they could not not afford, faced foreclosure and now are living with their mommies and daddies. I wonder what financial condition her son is in and if he is helping her in any way.

After seeing that the HAL Scholarship fund is under investigation, I would be reluctant to send any money to them on CIndy's behalf.
    I forgot Medicare is pretty much given to everyone even if they didn't work. But I know of a lot of musicians who died without health and life insurance or don't have any coverage at all. My uncle gets Medicare A&B but doesn't have a supplement, but he still qualifies for grants and other financial help. We're working on getting him a supplemental plan to cover the 20 percent that Medicare doesn't. It would appear that Ms. Birdsong should qualify for some kind of assistence in California.

Thank you my dear Kenneth. There is power in prayer and God hear us.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    Roberta - can you please check your email? I sent you a private msg. Thanks, Kenneth
    Last edited by kenneth; 05-22-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Robert - can you please check your email? I sent you a private msg. Thanks, Kenneth
    Thank you dear Kenneth. I just replied.

God bless you.

Roberta

Thank you dear Kenneth. I just replied.

God bless you.

Roberta
    Thank you Dear. Oops, sorry for 'Robert' instead of 'Roberta!'

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Until I see this on Mary's website I will not act on it.

I've known about Cindy's condition for some time. Remember guys, this beloved woman is 74 years old. She has lost quite a lot of weight but otherwise continues to smile and stay in touch as much as she can with the fans and the former ladies
    I am with you BayouMotownMan. Happy to help out but I need to know it is for real and the best way to help.

Maybe Diana will do a benefit show for Cindy. Mary could show up and sing a few songs and it could all be to benefit the great Cindy Birdsong. It sounds nice.

Penny

revvy Guest
    I'll bet if Cindy got that book of hers published, that would certainly bring her some revenue to help out with her financial difficulties. I would certainly buy one! The problem is she's probably not well enough to go out and promote it, but with the right promoter she should be able to pull it off. In any event, I wish her well.

Her book would probably be released if she dies just like Marva Whitney's book about being with James Brown.

It is Berry Gordy who should help her financially!