[REMOVE ADS]

R.I.P General Johnson

another soul legend has passed.. he was only 67..R.I.P General Johnson

http://news.lalate.com/2010/10/14/ge...rd-dead-at-67/

Sad news indeed. I'm going to have to play some Chairmen of the Board tonight. May he rest in peace.

Can't believe it...we were just talking about him last night, he has one of my favorite voices, RIP to an awesome singer

Here's one of my favorites w/ General Johnson singing lead. [[I'm still in shock)

great song Gary!

Whoa this is really weird ! Just the other night on an episode of "Pawn Stars" a lawyer came into the shop with Generals Johnson's Emmy that he wrote for "Patches". The Pawn shop proprietor really didn't know who Johnson was, I can't recall if he bought it or not, but as he often does, his lame attempts at humor about the identity of the artist fell flat.

Rest In Peace GJ, you gave us some great music, not only from Chairmen, but from The Honey Cone as well.

There's a great Johnson quote that was printed in the Charlotte Observer today.....

"That's the thing about a good song. Let's say a song was put out 10 years ago, the recording company is done, whoever wrote the song is dead or just ain't writing songs no more.

But that song is still there."

Johnson did vocals on a song I remember was on our AAA playlist in '95 or '96. Anyone remember the title?

Oh Lord, this is another one I am not ready for. I guess I will never get use to losing some of the great artists I've enjoyed for so many years . General Johnson and the Chairmen of the Board ranks up there with many of my favorites. He and his group, Chairmen of the Board were a big part of the sound, the music we listened to in the early 70's. He had a unique voice, style and yet somewhat similar in timbre to Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops. We used to joke that H-D-H were trying to hold on to Levi's sound with General Johnson.

I don't know what else to say other than Rest in Peace General, you've done good and made a lot of people happy with your music and singing. Thanks Man!

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 10-14-2010 at 11:45 PM.

pshark Guest
    I saw that episode. The emmy was wasn't Johnson's. It belonged to the writer of the song, Ron Dunbar.
    http://www.thepawnshow.com/ronald-dunbar-grammy-award/

Sad news indeed. So many great tunes. RIP Gen Johnson
    Last edited by pshark; 10-15-2010 at 12:31 PM.

From Variety, a more comprehensive biographical artical on General Johnson:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryId=16&cs=1

DAMN...just getting over the shock of losing Solomon, now this! My favorite voices are leaving this planet at a rapid rate. RIP, General, and thank you...

Best,

Mark

RIP General Johnson. You will be missed.
    For we who remain, lets cherish the legends and icons that are still here,
    while there is still time.

Tallone, I completely agree.

GeeTee - "Everything's Tuesday" is one of my favorites as well, along with "Bless You," and basically the first three fourths of their debut album...But what General Johnson said about a good song holds true, and we'll always have the music.

Here's that song that made him a Grammy Winner, "Patches"

msmotown2 Guest
    R.I.P. General,
    He did have some great songs. My favorite by him was "Don't Walk Away."
    I was just looking through some of my albums last week and ran across his.
    Marv remember WCHB and WJLB playing his records along with Chairmen Of The Board?
    He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by msmotown2 View Post
    R.I.P. General,
    He did have some great songs. My favorite by him was "Don't Walk Away."
    I was just looking through some of my albums last week and ran across his.
    Marv remember WCHB and WJLB playing his records along with Chairmen Of The Board?
    He will be missed.
    MsMotown! Yes I remember! Donnie "Luvbug" Simpson and all of them and WJLB use to play their music regularly. Throw in CKLW and you know why I say that those were some of the best days of my life. "Pay to the Piper" got played so much that is was like a local anthem!

We'll miss him. Prayers go out to his family at this time.

Yes Pshark I hear you but the Grammy had his name and Ronald Dunbar's on it as writers of Patches. Now I dont know what you saw but if you missed that you may need glasses.

pshark Guest
    Yeah I forgot that GL was co writer.
    No I don't need glasses, I got very good eyesite. But I could use a memory course

R.I.P General Johnson.

"Patches" was recorded by Johnson both with Chairmen of the Board, and solo...A distinctive voice from the authentic old-school soul storyteller tradition. He will be missed.

Yes, "It Will Stand" indeed!

Oh wow, bummer........

RIP General Johnson... great voice, even greater writer and producer. What great gifts he gave to us:

And let's not forget his co-writing credit on one of the best war protest songs ever made:

He also co-wrote this great tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZWvs52_Js

100 Proof Aged in Soul - Somebody's Been Sleeping [[In My Bed)

Unhappy

Sad news...

I will have to play this great song and album this weekend...

The Chairmen Of The Board - Skin I'm In[[1974)

Paul 1970 that is a classic. So is "Somebody's Been Sleeping In My Bed" Sunshineonacloudyday. The man was pure talent!

Wow this is sad news. I also saw that episode of PAWN STARS. It's a shame how artifacts like that are not preserved in organizations like The RRHOF ,at least and it shows the need for at least another SOUL MUSIC archive beside the MOTOWN MUSEUM and the STAX MUSEUM.
    R.I.P. General Johnson.

daddy, there are so many true overlooked talents outside of Motown and Stax and under the radar of the RRHOF that
    it's not even funny.
    General Johnson has always been a special artist to me and I'll miss him like many others...
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    And let's not forget his co-writing credit on one of the best war protest songs ever made:

Oh yeah his "Bring the Boys Home " with Freda Payne. Isn't that Brian or Eddie Holland joining her on that record? These songs and General Johnson's music were such a big part of an era which was roughly 1969 - 72. I am certain he was not properly recognized for contributions to American Music.

I just noticed Angleo Bond's name as one of the co-writers to "Bring the Boys Home". He is another very talented, prolific songwriter that many do not know about.

General Johnson was remembered and paid tribute to on two separate radio programs here in New York today. The first one was on WRQS KISS-FM 's "Openline" this morning where one of the fellas commented that General Johnson was related to Levi Stubbs. I have never heard that before. Deborah, Stubbygirl, if your out there can you address this?

Marv

Local news main: Detroit | Oakland | Wayne | Macomb | Michigan | Politics | Lottery
    Posted: 2:07 p.m. Oct. 15, 2010
    Southern R&B star General Johnson dies
    By BRIAN McCOLLUM
    Free Press Pop Music Writer

Comments [[3) Recommend [[1) Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share
    Facebook Twitter FarkIt Digg Del.icio.us Reddit Newsvine Buzz up!Southern R&B staple General Johnson, whose biggest national success came during a stint in Detroit, has died at age 67.

Johnson’s yearning vocal gave him a top 10 pop hit in 1970 with Chairmen of the Board’s “Give Me Just a Little More Time,” one of nine songs the group took to the top 40 on the R&B side.

Johnson had enjoyed regional Southern success through the ’60s when he was tapped by Detroit’s Holland-Dozier-Holland for their post-Motown Invictus label. In addition to his own Chairmen of the Board hits, Johnson’s songwriting repertoire included top 10 songs for Honey Cone [[“Want Ads”) and Clarence Carter [[“Patches”).

The group relocated to the South in the late ’70s, with Johnson and longtime musical partner Danny Woods becoming enduring figures on the Carolina beach music scene.

Johnson died Wednesday in Atlanta.

Fans have been encouraged to post their commemorations and reminisces at the Ann Arbor-based SoulTracks.com, where Johnson had become a regular guest.

Read more: Southern R&B star General Johnson dies | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010101...#ixzz12fYj6oSW

Hi Marv,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I've been trying to log in for awhile. However,
    to answer your question, no General Johnson was not related to my dad at all.

He did sound very close to him, especially on "Give Me Just A Little More Time"...about
    the closest as anyone I have heard .

Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family of the the late General Johnson. May
    they keep the beautiful memories that he has left behind in their hearts and those memories will indeed be comforting in this time of sorrow.

Deborah Stubbs

Patches Is one of my Jams! I was aware of his contribution of that but I didn't know he wrote "Want Ads" and Somebody's Sleeping in my bed" Indeed this man was underrated!

Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by stubby_girl View Post
    Hi Marv,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I've been trying to log in for awhile. However,
    to answer your question, no General Johnson was not related to my dad at all.

He did sound very close to him, especially on "Give Me Just A Little More Time"...about
    the closest as anyone I have heard .

Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family of the the late General Johnson. May
    they keep the beautiful memories that he has left behind in their hearts and those memories will indeed be comforting in this time of sorrow.

Deborah Stubbs
    Deborah, thank you. I know I had never heard that before from your Dad or from General either for that matter. When they reported it here New York City, I was like "Whattt? Noooooo!" LOL!

Thanks again Deborah and I hope everything is go well for everyone there.

Marv

Hi this is Kev-Lo

R.I.P General Johnson thank so much for the great music and memories you will be missed