[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

~~what do you think is the worst song ever written??~~

Hello Everyone,

I just had a lot of fun on Facebook with this question and the opposite one, which I will post a thread on next. I received hundreds of responses. I thought it would be fun to post the two questions here in separate threads.

What do you think is the worst song ever written??

For me it's "MacArthur Park", especially the more than 7 minute Richard Harris version. I know Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor & The Four Tops did versions, too, and I can honestly say I hate all of them. It has to be one of the dumbest, non-sensical songs of all time. Ironically it's written by Jimmy Webb, a good songwriter, who wrote some great songs like "By The Time I Get To Phoenix". He gets a kick out of people trying to ascribe meaning to the lyrics of MP, because he says there is no meaning to the lyrics. lol

I look forward to your choices.

~~Mary~~

smark21 Guest
    Again there’s many. At the top of my head, “My Neck My Back [[Lick it)”. Need I say more?

smark21 Guest
    As for MacArthur Park, that second verse Webb wrote in which he dropped the “symbolism” and got into the heart of the matter, redeems the song.

There will be another song for me For I will sing it There will be another dream for me Someone will bring it I’ll will drink the wine while it is warm And never let you catch me looking at the sun And after all the loves of my life After all the loves of my life You'll still be the one

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it I will have the things that I desire And my passion flow like rivers through the sky And after all the loves of my life After all the loves of my life I'll be thinking of you And wondering why

"Tip Toe Through The Tulips" ~ Tiny Tim ~ Just may be the WORST!!!

S.S.

So if the song meant nothing why did Webb right it? Summers version is the bomb to dance to. Some of Air Supply's songs make me wretch.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Sail, Sail" by Solomon and The Muskets

For me, there are about five songs that I consider so abominable that I will throw myself bodily across the room to turn off the radio any time they come on. One [[McArthur Park) has already been mentioned. The others, not necessarily in order of barfness, are:

American Pie
    Hey Jude
    A Whiter Shade of Pale
    Hooked on a Feeling [[that ghastly Blue Swede version with the Oooga Chocka nonsense) I actually liked B J Thomas' original quite a bit)

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  21.1 KB
    "Talk Talk" by The Music Machine, and just about any heavy metal. "Alley Oop". There are too many horrible songs.

Madonna's "Live To Tell", "Like A Prayer", "Papa Don't Preach", "Justify My Love". Most other of her numbers, the more energetic-danceable it is, highly enjoyable fun. Gloria Estefan's "Coming Out of The Dark". Again, everything else of hers is mostly infectious Cuban-Miami-based pop and love ballads; personalness and deepness; no-no. All Britney Spears, 75% of Christina Aguilera, And, 95% of 21st century since.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    As for MacArthur Park, that second verse Webb wrote in which he dropped the “symbolism” and got into the heart of the matter, redeems the song.

There will be another song for me For I will sing it There will be another dream for me Someone will bring it I’ll will drink the wine while it is warm And never let you catch me looking at the sun And after all the loves of my life After all the loves of my life You'll still be the one

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it I will have the things that I desire And my passion flow like rivers through the sky And after all the loves of my life After all the loves of my life I'll be thinking of you And wondering why
    That was actually the bridge you're talking about, not the second verse. The second verse started "I recall the yellow cotton dress...". For me, I don't care about the lyrics. The music redeems the song, especially the fast part.

Anyway, my vote for the worst song ever is "I've Never Been To Me" by Charlene. Oh, I know you guys like it just because it was issued on Motown.

"Put The Lime In The Coconut "- Harry Nilsson

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    That was actually the bridge you're talking about, not the second verse. The second verse started "I recall the yellow cotton dress...". For me, I don't care about the lyrics. The music redeems the song, especially the fast part.

Anyway, my vote for the worst song ever is "I've Never Been To Me" by Charlene. Oh, I know you guys like it just because it was issued on Motown.
    Am a BIG Motown freak, almost anything of company between 1959's Marv Johnson's "Come To Me" to Kem's "I Can't Stop Loving You", either 2003 or 2005; but Charlene, an exception; bores me to sleep. Tune on some Teena Marie for the extremely early eighties period listen ; picks me up back again.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-17-2013 at 02:02 AM.

'ebony and ivory' springs to mind first...

The Eddie Murphy songbook should be enough to end this thread. "Party All The Time", "How Could It Be", "What's Up With You" [[feat. Michael Jackson), and the truly loathsome "Put Your Mouth On Me" are four of the worst five songs ever written and I cannot remember what the fifth one is.

But would you have said it was the worst song ever if it hadn't been on Motown?

My vote for the worst Motown record ever is "I Cried All Night" by Debbie Dean which I actually find painful to listen to.

The worst song ever has got to be Joe Dolce's "Shaddap You Face". It's not clever, it's not funny, and it's horribleness is compounded by the fact that it stopped Ultravox's "Vienna" getting to Number 1 in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post

My vote for the worst Motown record ever is "I Cried All Night" by Debbie Dean which I actually find painful to listen to.

The worst song ever has got to be Joe Dolce's "Shaddap You Face". It's not clever, it's not funny, and it's horribleness is compounded by the fact that it stopped Ultravox's "Vienna" getting to Number 1 in the UK.

Bohemian rhapsody by Queen, but the competition is certainly fierce. What about all those absolutely ghastly " Disney " ballads, for example.

[QUOTE=luke;166440]So if the song meant nothing why did Webb right it?

From Songfacts:
    With the famous "cake out in the rain," this is one of the more lyrically intriguing songs ever recorded. Jimmy Webb, who wrote the song, explained in Q magazine: "It's clearly about a love affair ending, and the person singing it is using the cake and the rain as a metaphor for that. OK, it may be far out there, and a bit incomprehensible, but I wrote the song at a time in the late 1960s when surrealistic lyrics were the order of the day."

The love affair Webb speaks of was with Susan Ronstadt, Linda Ronstadt's cousin. Said Webb [[in the Los Angeles Times), "MacArthur Park was where we met for lunch and paddleboat rides and feeding the ducks. She worked across the street at a life insurance company. Those lyrics were all very real to me; there was nothing psychedelic about it to me. The cake, it was an available object. It was what I saw in the park at the birthday parties. But people have very strong reactions to the song. There's been a lot of intellectual venom."

Are you convinced there's more to this song than Jimmy Webb is letting on? You might be right. The staff music composer Colin McCourt used to work for the publisher of this song, Edwin. H. Morris. The head of the company was a friend of Jimmy Webb, who once explained to him the song's meaning - cake in the rain and all. McCourt told The Daily Mail April 2, 2011: "Jim was in love with a girl who left him. Months later, he heard she was getting married - in the park. Broken-hearted, he went to the wedding and, not wanting to be seen, hid in a gardener's shed.

As the open-air ceremony was taking place it started to pour with rain and the rain running down the shed window made the cake look as if it was melting.

Interestingly, the man who married the girl was a phone engineer from Wichita - inspiration for another of Jim's hits?"

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    Bohemian rhapsody by Queen, but the competition is certainly fierce.
    My vote would go to that one as well Amithesameboy .. I used to be unable to physically listen to it without turning off the radio or leaving the room. Imagine my horror when I went home to visit my parents only to find that my mother had bought a copy!!

If I was ever in a pub and it came on I used to use it as an opportunity to go to the toilet!! It was amazing how the "song" would stimulate my bladder!!

I've mellowed now and I am virtually immune to it but I still think it is a total pile of pretentious poo!!

Interesting to see "Hey Jude" get a mention .. I was never too keen on the version by THE BEATLES, much too dreary for me, but I did like this version by WILSON PICKETT.

I was listening to an interview about Mr Pickett's version some weeks back and it was claimed that he thought the song was called "Hey Jew" .. it does sound like he does sing that a few times ..

Otherwise, for pure unadulterated over sentimental crud I don't think you can beat such travesties as "Excerpt From A Teenage Opera" by KEITH WEST ..

Looking through the Billboard charts I see that the folks of the U.S.A. weren't subjected to this one, in merry old England it got to the dizzy heights of #2 in late 1967. For those wishing to risk their musical integrity here it is on You-tube, complete with Mr West doing a less than totally convincing mime ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rExhxkX-Ic

Funnily I don't think that the remainder of the Teenage Opera was ever recorded ... phew!!

Maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on Mr West's over produced drivel, it was records like that that really turned me on to "Soul"!!

Roger

Worst Motown song [[written-lyrics-wise) I would say, Georgio's "Tina Cherry". Melody, beat, rhythm-wise, I love it, understand why it reached #1 Dance over two decades back. But the lyrics - MAN, the man's sure not subtle! By the "climax" hehehehe, my mouth dropped every time! Runner-Up, I would say, Rick James' "Love Gun". Again, love the arrangement, but although he's actually thinly concealing the lyrics [[it took me several months, before my brother told me what a "love gun" is, hahaha!), definitely a tune only to listen privately, don't think I can put a straight face if listened publicly.

Laurelle - Lloyd Price, eek......

Jimmy Soul - "If You Wanna Be Happy" - FUNNY song, but no way I'm marryin' an ugly, misshapen woman hahaha....

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Jimmy Soul - "If You Wanna Be Happy" - FUNNY song, but no way I'm marryin' an ugly, misshapen woman hahaha....
    with witch of a "Mother-in-Law" by Ernie K Doe~ hehehehehehehehe............

smark21 Guest
    I'm still standing by "My Neck My Back Lick It". Here's the lyric video [[NSFW):

smark21 Guest
    Another one: Friday by Rebecca Black.

Worst Motown song is Ive Never been to Me.

These lyrics are real, real corny and laughable. lolololol

Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht
    I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got
    I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see
    I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

[spoken]
    Hey, you know what paradise is?
    It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be
    But you know what truth is?
    It's that little baby you're holding, it's that man you fought with this morning
    The same one you're going to make love with tonight
    That's truth, that's love......

Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete
    But I took the sweet life, I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet
    I've spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that costs too much to be free
    Hey lady......
    I've been to paradise, [[I've been to paradise)
    But I've never been to me

Too many to name

Sugar Sugar - Archies

Yes, indeed.

McArthur park gets my vote. Also I Shot The Sheriff. Hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by misty View Post
    McArthur park gets my vote. Also I Shot The Sheriff. Hate it.
    You've all mentioned some dillies. My choice is "Muskrat Love".

Yes, indeed.
    Have you heard the Temptations' original version of "I've Never Been to Me" or Nancy Wilson's cover? They make me realise it's not such a bad song after all. In fact, technically it's quite good. The lyrics are well written, they scan, and they tell the story of a life wasted. Also the melody is quite pretty.

The fact that it's the song that you hate the most does not automatically make it the worst song ever written. For instance, I can't stand Jimi Hendrix's style of guitar playing, but I can still acknowledge that he's a great guitarist.

Afternoon Delight
    Dancing Queen [[& almost anything else by ABBA)
    American Pie
    I Believe in Miracles
    Girls on Film
    Barbie Girl

Have you heard the Temptations' original version of "I've Never Been to Me" or Nancy Wilson's cover? They make me realise it's not such a bad song after all. In fact, technically it's quite good. The lyrics are well written, they scan, and they tell the story of a life wasted. Also the melody is quite pretty.
    You will never convince me that the song is any good.

The fact that it's the song that you hate the most does not automatically make it the worst song ever written.
    You do realize that this forum is about opinions, right?

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    Afternoon Delight
    Dancing Queen [[& almost anything else by ABBA)
    American Pie
    I Believe in Miracles
    Girls on Film
    Barbie Girl
    And, see, I like all of these songs. I'm a big ABBA fan!

You guys are picking many of my favorites. And, I love Jimi Hendrix's style of playing. Further proof that I don't really fit here.

You will never convince me that the song is any good.

You do realize that this forum is about opinions, right?
    Of course I realise this forum is about opinions. I just think that you've answered a question different to what the thread poses, namely what is the worst song written, which demands a certain amount of objectivity, not which is the song you dislike the most, which is completely subjective.

I think the topic demands some sort of criticism of the song in question. For instance, Roberta has picked the same song but commented that the lyrics are corny and laughable to justify her choice.

To be honest, soulster, while I don't dislike the song, I don't particularly like it either. I just think its choice is too easy and predictable.

You also say you don't really fit here. As far as I'm concerned it's the differences in opinions that gives the forum its vibrancy and makes it worthwhile.

Of course I realise this forum is about opinions. I just think that you've answered a question different to what the thread poses, namely what is the worst song written, which demands a certain amount of objectivity, not which is the song you dislike the most, which is completely subjective.

I think the topic demands some sort of criticism of the song in question. For instance, Roberta has picked the same song but commented that the lyrics are corny and laughable to justify her choice.

To be honest, soulster, while I don't dislike the song, I don't particularly like it either. I just think its choice is too easy and predictable.

You also say you don't really fit here. As far as I'm concerned it's the differences in opinions that gives the forum its vibrancy and makes it worthwhile.
    See, I dont understand that at all. How can one posit an "objective" view of a song ? EVERY opinion is subjective.

Just a reminder, I said what do you THINK is the worst song ever written. That's asking for your opinions. Musical taste is subjective, like any other art form. I don't expect everyone to agree with my choice, nor do I expect to agree with everyone else's choices. That's what makes questions like this fun and interesting to me. I've enjoyed reading all the posts.

~~Mary~~

smark21 Guest
    Though some of the responses on this thread seem to confuse a bad song with a bad record. Sometimes it’s quite possible to make a bad recording of a good song. That might make a good thread of its own, lol.

I just think that you've answered a question different to what the thread poses, namely what is the worst song written, which demands a certain amount of objectivity, not which is the song you dislike the most, which is completely subjective.
    When you ask someone what they think is the worst song, that implies that their response will be subjective. My response is within the intent and spirit of the thread. I hate the song, and think it is the worst, no matter who sings it, or how.

And, this is one of those rare times that I agree with her. I think the song is an embarrassment for everyone who was involved with it. I'm embarrassed to even listen to it alone!

Well, I not only dislike it, I HATE it with a passion! If I could burn all copies of it I would. I wish I could burn the sheet music and the lyrics. I hope the multitrack, the two-track master tape, and all the copies of it, meet with a tragic fate! Whoever's idea it was to have Charlene do that gawd-awful talking part on the intro should be handcuffed, water-boarded naked, then hung upside down by the toes, with panckake syrup sprinkled all over, with fire ants and cockroaches crawling all over them, and have their privates seared with a red hot poker by drunk, violent bikers, all while having that song on endless repeat, blasted at 120 decibels.

Man, I seem to be against the grain wherever I go. Just the way it is.

Hi Soulster!

Do I understand correctly that you don't like that song?

Best regards
    Heikki

Ring My Bell,Carzy 'bout That La La,these are 2 dum songs lol

The fact that it's the song that you hate the most does not automatically make it the worst song ever written. For instance, I can't stand Jimi Hendrix's style of guitar playing, but I can still acknowledge that he's a great guitarist.
    I don't "hate" the song, there's probably worse, nor do I seem too excited in listening to it either - but it IS a Motown record of a different element - which could be in its taking risks in its controversial lyrics, bizarre, lower tempos, sleepier rhythm, not so energetic voice, too clearly crafted to sell out to the US / UK pop radios.....frankly, at least for that song, if it wasn't for having a Motown label on it, I would not even tell it's a Motown number.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-22-2013 at 03:30 PM.

When you ask someone what they think is the worst song, that implies that their response will be subjective. My response is within the intent and spirit of the thread. I hate the song, and think it is the worst, no matter who sings it, or how.

And, this is one of those rare times that I agree with her. I think the song is an embarrassment for everyone who was involved with it. I'm embarrassed to even listen to it alone!

Well, I not only dislike it, I HATE it with a passion! If I could burn all copies of it I would. I wish I could burn the sheet music and the lyrics. I hope the multitrack, the two-track master tape, and all the copies of it, meet with a tragic fate! Whoever's idea it was to have Charlene do that gawd-awful talking part on the intro should be handcuffed, water-boarded naked, then hung upside down by the toes, with panckake syrup sprinkled all over, with fire ants and cockroaches crawling all over them, and have their privates seared with a red hot poker by drunk, violent bikers, all while having that song on endless repeat, blasted at 120 decibels.

Great answers, soulster. Now I'm happy.

Man, I seem to be against the grain wherever I go. Just the way it is.
    It's good to see things from a different perspective. Who wants to be a carbon copy of everyone else? I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Amithesameboy View Post
    See, I dont understand that at all. How can one posit an "objective" view of a song ? EVERY opinion is subjective.
    I'm finding it difficult to express myself clearly here. Let's say that you can't stand poetry. Are you really going to say that every poem is rubbish? And even if you do, you're still going to be able to judge different poems' relative merits objectively by virtue of their metre, imagery and other qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Though some of the responses on this thread seem to confuse a bad song with a bad record. Sometimes it’s quite possible to make a bad recording of a good song. That might make a good thread of its own, lol.
    Exactly!!!

Great answers, soulster. Now I'm happy.
    The only excuse that I can come up with for the recording's existence is that everyone was on drugs.

I'm finding it difficult to express myself clearly here. Let's say that you can't stand poetry. Are you really going to say that every poem is rubbish?
    But...we like music!

My vote -

Mule Skinner Blues - The Fendermen [[especially at 1:45!!!!!!) It just sounds like someone's got a bad case of the crazies. Nice guitar work though. I can't believe this song got to #5 in 1960.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0NVxohHfRU

Oldies

It's good to see things from a different perspective. Who wants to be a carbon copy of everyone else? I certainly don't.
    Yes, but many people are not comfortable with those who stray too far from the tribal values.

What's funny is that it seems like the vast majority of people here don't much care for rock music. But, on the other forum I frequent, the majority don't really care for R&B. Both sides frown on too much mention of what they don't like, and expect you to march to their drum. Musical segregation sucks.