[REMOVE ADS]

If you can't give her love - mary wells

The track is included on the compilation Something New To Do, featuring songs composed by PRINCE PHILLIP MITCHELL. It's another solid effort from ACE in its southern soul/songwriters series. I knew the name Prince Phillip Mitchell, but wasn't really cognizant that he wrote the killer ballad Hurt So Good for Millie Jackson, Starting All Over Again by MEL & TIM and this piece of southern soul by Mary Wells. It wasn't a hit but my dad has had it for years. It sounds like it was sped up on purpose...Mary seems to be singing in a higher key. The notes in SNTD say Bobby Womack also recorded it. I don't know if I have his version.

I think Bobby's version is on his FACTS OF LIFE album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think Bobby's version is on his FACTS OF LIFE album.
    I did find the track. I had to do some digging, but we did have it.

Mary's recording was produced by Bobby Womack in '74. Issued on Reprise it had two different B sides. Originally "Don't Keep Me Hangin' On", then switched to a slow song titled "Cancel My Subscription". Both produced also by Bobby. There were several other cuts she did with Bobby producing as well, but only those three were ever released.

Mary live with Curtis Womack....

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 05-09-2013 at 02:37 PM.

I must say i enjoyed this,Mary Wells FOREVER,Thank you Mikew-uk for posting this.
    Please stay positive

Hi Kamasu

Phillip Mitchell wrote so many killer songs. This is the original version of 'Hurt so good' from 1971, 3 years before Millie Jackson recorded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXol1bsUJXM

Keith - London

Quote Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
    Hi Kamasu

Phillip Mitchell wrote so many killer songs. This is the original version of 'Hurt so good' from 1971, 3 years before Millie Jackson recorded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXol1bsUJXM

Keith - London
    I did hear the original HURT SO GOOD by Katie Love. I gotta say Millie Jackson and Brad Shapiro were genius-GREAT ARRANGEMENT AND MILLIE just KILLS IT. I'm in a southern soul and country mood this week.

Kamasu, if you're still in that mood, try this, it's an absolute KILLER !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0AzkPh7ki0

Keith