[REMOVE ADS]

topdiva1 Guest

Jeans terrell's classic - the rising cost of love!!!

I was wondering what you guys thought about Jean Terrell's - Rising Cost Of Love - and her album. I really wish Jean Terrell would record and perform again.

Earlier this year we had a thread here where we were asked to list our favorite recordings. Jean's "Rising Cost of Love" made my list. Stylisticly, it was a bit before it's time and is very listenable today some 32 years later! The album was alright with maybe too many love songs and no dance music [[keeping in mind it was 1978 and dance music, "disco" was what everyone was listening to and buying). The packaging, the cover and insert were top notch and she looked beautiful in the pictures.

I think Jean has more of an "artist" mentality than that of a performer/businesswoman. She sings and perform at will and at her pleasure, not the publics'.

useyourchucklemuscle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Earlier this year we had a thread here where we were asked to list our favorite recordings. Jean's "Rising Cost of Love" made my list. Stylisticly, it was a bit before it's time and is very listenable today some 32 years later! The album was alright with maybe too many love songs and no dance music [[keeping in mind it was 1978 and dance music, "disco" was what everyone was listening to and buying). The packaging, the cover and insert were top notch and she looked beautiful in the pictures.

I think Jean has more of an "artist" mentality than that of a performer/businesswoman. She sings and perform at will and at her pleasure, not the publics'.
    And the 'Clydene' whom you have 'never heard of' is happily trilling away on the backparts with Venetta and Sherlie!
    I always thought it was a nice touch of Jean's to use the Blackberries for backpart vocals. Sort of a 'thank you' to them for all the backparts they sang for her when she was lead singer with the Supremes a few years earlier!

Yep Jean Terrell and the Blackberries. Why did Frank Wilson say he brought Cindy and Mary up front and wanted them heard on the records?? That Frank doesnt know what he was saying!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yep Jean Terrell and the Blackberries. Why did Frank Wilson say he brought Cindy and Mary up front and wanted them heard on the records?? That Frank doesnt know what he was saying!!
    LOL!
    Careful, Luke! There are some folk here who will lambast you for such sacriligious remarks!

For me [[& numerous other UK soulies) its "No Limit" that's her solo gem on A&M.
    This track has been posted up on youtube numerous times over ..........
    ........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZJScfQo4I
    The slow opening to the cut just builds the expectation for when it does break out [[plus it gives you time to get up from your seat & out onto the dancefloor before the beat really kicks in).

Quote Originally Posted by useyourchucklemuscle View Post
    And the 'Clydene' whom you have 'never heard of' is happily trilling away on the backparts with Venetta and Sherlie!
    I always thought it was a nice touch of Jean's to use the Blackberries for backpart vocals. Sort of a 'thank you' to them for all the backparts they sang for her when she was lead singer with the Supremes a few years earlier!
    I've heard of Clydene and the other ladies. They are singing background [[as well as Gloria Scott) on Mary Wilson's solo album that came out in 1979. I just never heard her on "Nathan Jones"

You left out Lynda Lawrence/Laurence. She is also singing background on Jean Terrell's solo album!

He was just the producer! How would he know who he is producing?? LOL!!!! You guys kill me, hehehehehe........

All kidding aside, Frank Wilson has stated that Mary and Cindy are on all of his productions for the Supremes. That's what he wanted. He loved Mary's voice in fact, he said it was pure and warm which is why he had her singing part of the lead on "Touch".

You know what? I can you promise you that I would not be the only person that does not know who Clydene is, if that were the case! LOL!!!!!

I've heard of Clydene and the other ladies. They are singing background [[as well as Gloria Scott) on Mary Wilson's solo album that came out in 1979. I just never heard her on "Nathan Jones"
    The Blackberries and Glo are on Mary's album?
    I never knew that!

Yes and Gloria Scott went on to become one of Mary's background singers for a short time as in this clip:

Her name is Clydie King & not as has been posted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nph9B2dSXk

Always liked this Clydie King song. She should have made it bigger.

Clydie King, not Clydene. I am sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nph9B2dSXk

Always liked this Clydie King song. She should have made it bigger.
    Clydie's 'Imperial and Minit years' compilation cd is one I play regularly!

Yes and Gloria Scott went on to become one of Mary's background singers for a short time as in this clip:
    Nice clip. Always nice to see Billy and Syreeta!

I kind of like Clydene. How did Mary and Cindy sound so good in person with all these people crowded into the studio on their records?? Sounds like the Mormon Tabernacle Coir!!

topdiva1 Guest
    I kind of like Clydene. How did Mary and Cindy sound so good in person with all these people crowded into the studio on their records?? Sounds like the Mormon Tabernacle Coir!!
    You are right = Mary and Cindy must have some out of this world voices to compensate live for all the ladies in and out of the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    You are right = Mary and Cindy must have some out of this world voices to compensate live for all the ladies in and out of the studio.
    Amazing huh? When they perform live in concert or on television ex: with Glen Campbell, Andy Williams or the Smokey Robinson Special, they sound like angels.

topdiva1 Guest
    Amazing huh? When they perform live in concert or on television ex: with Glen Campbell, Andy Williams or the Smokey Robinson Special, they sound like angels.
    Mary and Cindy always sounded great together - regardless of who was on lead. As did Flo and Mary of course.